Protecting Mine Own
Zariah Launceleyn
the Merciless
Grand Sorceress of the Arcane Academy

Age: 33 | Height: 5'7" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 7 - Strg: 10 - Dext: 23 - Endr: 27 - Luck: 10 - Int:
Played by: Grant Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
ZARIAH
Zariah was non-religious. This much had been clear enough. The interactions she had had thus far with the Voice had been…business related. And really, she had no other reason to interact with them. She was Abandoned, loved by none of the gods. She was entirely on her own and frankly that was how she liked it. She could trust her own intent. She knew what she was and was not capable of. Divine beings? Who hated her? Well…call her jaded but she wasn’t sure what use they were to her or her people when they would not speak to her.

But of course. Appearances and all that.

It was for this purpose that she went to the Sanctuary within the Citadel. She had some questions, things she found curious or unusual. And since the Voice had snubbed her, why not try the old gods? She had heard of them visiting Abandoned with more frequency than the Voice after all. Quietly, she placed a few things on the alter – a small toy of an Ursur with movable legs, a small, precious jar of preserves, and a small glass prism through which light made pretty rainbows. She did not know what the gods liked, but according to the maids about the Palace, these would do. ”I seek audience with the old gods, those who would know of the creature or being that made a deal with my husband, should any deign speak to me about it.” she said upon reaching the alter, speaking respectfully but with confidence.
heavy is the crown
but never for a queen

Coding base by Sky!

Age: 7 | Height: | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: - Strg: - Dext: - Endr: - Luck: - Int:
Played by: Admin/Moderator Offline
Change author:

Who's to say why the gods don't answer, really. Was it because she started this whole thing with a mental declaration of independence? Because she'd tried to build alliances with The Voice before, and the Old Gods weren't particularly interested in anyone that flaky?

Because your deal, your problem, figure it out yourself?

Whatever the reason for the silence may be, it is silence that met Zariah: utter, absolute, all-encompassing silence.

And one marble-sized snowflake, which strikes her squarely on the nose.
Spooky Rags

Age: 7 | Height: | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Played by: Admin Offline
Change author:
ludo

Braved the forests, braved the stone
Braved the icy winds and fire
Braved and beat them on my own

And strictly speaking, that should have been the end of that. But hey, maybe Ludo was feeling generous after watching the Merciless get splatted by a fat snowflake. (Or maybe it had been summoned by some ridiculous act of the gods). Whatever the reason, it appeared like a dark ghost among the ornate decorations of the citadel shrine, its rags adrift about it, pale mask glinting in the candlelight.

“You bring offerings,” it stated - for it was no secret that Ludo enjoyed the trinkets brought for it. More than that, however, even some Accepted forgot such a basic courtesy; with that in mind, Zariah had climbed a rung on Ludo’s ladder.

What that meant and whether it was good or not remained to be seen.

“And you would hear of the Eirachi. I was not aware that the Warden of this place had a wife. I do not think the Eirachi knows it either.”

Zariah Launceleyn
the Merciless

Age: 33 | Height: 5'7" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:
ZARIAH
Her nose wrinkled slightly at the snowflake that landed upon her face, lifting a hand to brush it off. But that was when it appeared. Despite its suddenness and ominous appearance, Zariah remained calm, doll-like mask perfectly in place as she gazed upon the deity that so resembled the soul collector, Ludo. "It is an honor to meet you, Ludo." she said softly. And it was. Meeting a being of great power was always an honor.

Hazel eyes glanced to the offerings and she nodded. "Indeed, I did. I would not greet you empty handed." For how independent Zariah might think herself, she was no fool. She had done her research. A toy, to appease Ludo; fruit, to appease Frey; a pretty object of light, to appease Safrin. But of course, it Ludo wished to take them all, fine by her. She just had all the bases covered since she hadn't called on any one in particular.

The raggedy god's words brought a hint of a smirk to her lips. "The Warden is also unaware, and by the most technical of accounts, he does not." she said, clasping her hands behind her back. "But I recall events from our original home that he does not, for he had not reached them. But I digress..." She paused, storing the most important part away. "The Eirachi...what is the nature of the agreements they make with people? What exactly are they?" God? Spirit? Particularly gifted Abandoned? And while she knew of the terms of Neron's agreement with the Eirachi, she did not know what all it encompassed - nor how she could rid him of the shackles placed on him.
heavy is the crown
but never for a queen

Coding base by Sky!
Spooky Rags

Change author:
ludo

An honour? Ludo did not particularly care for such things - those were more the realm of the Safrins of the world. (Unless, of course, it gave away a part of itself that then got stolen, Remi). It settled amongst the candles and ornate decorations to play with its offerings - all of them, duh, because no one else had showed up for the Abandoned.

"Oh, I see," it said, tittering - or as close to it as Ludo could. Unaware of a wife, technically unmarried... well, well. Halo's icy Warden was certainly more interesting than he made himself out to be. "Eirachi is a lesser god of the Tundra," it explained. "She manipulates. The ice is a horrible mistress, and it tricks and traps travellers. When they get into trouble, maybe the Eirachi is able to help - for a price. You understand?"

Zariah Launceleyn
the Merciless

Change author:
ZARIAH
It Ludo wished to take all of the offerings, Zariah would certainly not protest. The early bird gets the worm, and Ludo was indeed that today.

She listened with seriousness as Ludo described the Eirachi, mind whirring with calculations. So it was another binding of a sort – not quite the same as the one that had bound the Launceleyns before, but a chain around Neron’s throat all the same. Her expression grew cold, even as her blood boiled. Old Zariah, the one Neron did remember, would be quick to pull the trigger, seeking out ways she could kill and destroy the godling that so tethered Neron. But this Zariah had learned not to be so hasty, especially where beings with the power of gods was concerned. ”I understand.” she said in a calm, measured tone. ”Are there ways to nullify the agreement, or remove her hold without paying said price?” she asked, curiously. But of course, in the back of her mind, she did wonder – the quickest way to deal with any problem was simple to kill the perpetuator of said problem. So she had to ask, ”And what if Eirachi were to be killed?” she asked. She as of yet did not surmise she had the power to do so, but it was always better to know what all the potential options were.
heavy is the crown
but never for a queen

Coding base by Sky!
Spooky Rags

Change author:
ludo

A humming noise came from Ludo as it tinkered about with its offerings, holding up the prism of light to cause it to shine here and there along the walls and candles. It was unclear if it was considering its response or merely singing to itself - either way, Zariah would soon get her answer. "You could take on the debt, for one of your own," it said. "Offer something in place of what was originally promised. The debt would become yours, should it be accepted, and none of the boon nullified."

At her second comment it glanced up - sharply; she had clearly gotten its attention now. "Why," it said, seeming to swell up and around the space; endless black tendrils reaching into the void, "that would make you a god-killer. And you would garner the attention of all the other gods in the area. Would you like that?"

Zariah Launceleyn
the Merciless

Change author:
ZARIAH
Her head tilted slightly, considering the raggedy god and the option it gave. Trade out what Neron offered in payment to the Eirachi to free him from the chains she placed upon him, and bear them herself. Such a terrible noble thing to do, and not something usually up her sleeve of tricks, but one she could consider with ease, if only because it was for family. She was the head after all, if any were to wear the weight of chains, it ought to be her.

But she couldn't get far in that contemplation before the god before her suddenly became an all encompassing void, filling the room, its tendril like hands darting out here and there. A terrifying scene perhaps, but Zariah did not move or flinch, nor did her heart begin to race with fear and adrenaline. No, the same woman who so boldly and fearlessly accepted death to lower a barrier would not become frightened at such a sight. She knew Ludo was powerful, she knew the question she asked dangerous, and to have the god react as such was expected. Hazel eyes watched, steady and sure, as Ludo gave its warning. A godkiller? Catch the attention of other gods? The expected answer was probably 'No'. But the answer she gave?

"Not right now." she said calmly, staring into the void that was Ludo as though gazing at a picturesque meadow. There were other options still. To run towards killing a god would be foolhardy, especially given her current strength, and knowing the retribution that would likely follow. "I should not wish to go to such extremes, and your warning well taken." But... She had no desire for some grand title or recognition as a god killer. That the one holding the whip to Neron's back was a god was irrelevant to her. He would be freed. One way or another. In a surprise twist, the Archmage then dipped her head almost reverently to the soul collector. "I greatly appreciate your candor, Ludo."
heavy is the crown
but never for a queen

Coding base by Sky!
Spooky Rags

Change author:
ludo

"Appreciation will not save you, in the face of the shadows you stand beneath." Ludo spoke beneath a blank mask, its rags dancing and twisting still in the space of the shrine; a dark star suching all light from within. "Tread carefully, Zariah Launceleyn, whichever way your steps take you. This is not the first time you have approached a deity with troublesome questions. Walk too close to the Eirachi and you may well find one keen to hang upon your every word."

Evidently, unlike itself. "You have asked your question. It has been answered. We are done here." The decision, apparently, was absolute. Ludo rushed forward and through the Archmage, and a sound like roaring tides and silent screams and bellchimes would fill her to the brim for a second, before it was gone.

Zariah Launceleyn
the Merciless

Change author:
ZARIAH
The sound was deafening, the feeling of the god rushing through her indescribable - but definitely not good. Any other person who had not suffered the horrors she had would have been easily brought to their knees. But the Archmage stood, eyes closed, fists clenched - the barest of trembles shaking her lithe form. It had been a very long time since anyone or anything had truly scared the head of the family, and that it was one of the old gods who spurned her creed?

A small smirk curved her lips, and she began to laugh, low at first but building to a loud, full laugh near maniacal. It did not last long, as she gazed up at the alter, dark smile still on her lips. "Point well taken, Ludo. I like your style." she said softly before turning and leaving the shrine.

--FIN
heavy is the crown
but never for a queen

Coding base by Sky!