I call out ‘Stay Awhile!’
Tarasha Gulaab
Tattoo Artist

Age: 118 | Height: 4'6" | Race: Fae | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Greatwood
Level: 1 - Strg: 13 - Dext: 12 - Endr: 12 - Luck: 8 - Int:
Played by: Johnnie Offline
Change author:
MP: 0

I am in the woods. Deeper than I’ve ever gone, which makes it feel all the stranger that the trees are getting thinner, that the ocean of green is reversing behind me, barely moved by my quick wings and load. The ban on exploring beyond the borders are finally gone, and I was gone with them, as soon as I heard. Though...

Perhaps I should have done more planning, more research, because the scene before me, as I finally break through the tree line is. Bleak. I feel my face fall, what was once vicious excitement now a pout of disappointment. It is easy to see exactly where the barrier sat, a great scar of barren land, now slick with mud. I turn my nose up, and flit along the perimeter, looking for a place not so choked by the half sentient muck.

I stop, near the edge of the dead land, and reach into my bag, pulling out a small sack of seeds as I do. Call it a peace offering, it’s certainly what I’ll tell anyone who stumbles across me, but honestly... I can’t stand to be in a place so drab. Simply being here makes me feel like my colour is sipping away, the bold lines of my painted skin feeling grey, and fuzzy, though it just only be my imagination. I sing, as I begin to throw the seeds down, my voice calling directly to the seeds, and encouraging them to grow, thick and healthy, and bring some colour to this drab place.

Tarasha
They are neither pink nor pale;
And they will never be all mine;

Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Provost of the Loreseekers Soul Shepherd
Portal Guardian
Age: 36 | Height: 6'2" | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 12 - Strg: 30 - Dext: 45 - Endr: 38 - Luck: 42 - Int:
ISUMA - Mythical - Griffin (Venomous)
Played by: Cirago Offline
Change author:
MP: 5225
It had been far too long since he had enjoyed the freedom of his oldest form, the one he'd known nearly since birth. Jigano trotted through the growing explosion of life that only came in Flowerbirth, keeping his white paws fastidiously clean by going around mud puddles as he headed for the barrier scar, Isuma flitting through the branches high above him. Word had been posted that the Greatwood was open again, and he was eager to see if his friends among the Fae were well.

Song drifted through the air, drawing him to it almost without thought. Movement caught his attention when he drew closer, as a flicker of wasp's wings far too large for any insect caught the light near his path. He paused, ears up and nose twitching as he peered through the greening Hollowed Grounds underbrush into the clearing where a Fae stood throwing down seeds and coaxing them, though they didn't respond as plants did to Delah and her warriors.

Or to him now, for that matter, strange as that thought still was.

He ducked his head and crept as close as he could while remaining hidden, shifting back to his human form behind a large tree while Isuma perched above to relay her vision of what was occurring below. Reaching out with his soul he felt the shimmering strings of green and brown quiver in response to the seeds as they fell upon the soil, and he reached out to prod them gently, feeding them life and energy so that they began to grow, leaves uncurling from within their shells and stretching sunwards as spindly roots dug into muddy earth, finding purchase as his healing magic enriched the soil beneath them and fed them even more as color began to blossom anew within the arc of the empty scar.
Tarasha Gulaab
Tattoo Artist

Age: 118 | Height: 4'6" | Race: Fae | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Greatwood
Change author:

I have many gifts, I am not afraid to admit that, but I am also not afraid to admit where my gifts are lacking. And I am not able to coax life from seeds with my voice. So as the flowers begin to bloom and flourish, bringing rays of purple and pink and white to the previously barren ground. I turn, searching the trees around me for the culprit, wondering if I’m going to face kin or stranger, and catch sight of a flash of white in the trees. It is beautiful, of course, but not much use for blending in.

My wings buzz, and I rise until I am eye level with the little creature, a gryphlet, if I’m not mistaken. And I’m often not. ”Hello precious.” I coo, reaching out a hand to it. ”Is it you making my plants grow so nicely? Or do you have a secret friend somewhere?” I don’t take my eyes off the little creature, but not do I let my guard down, sense honed to the world around me. ”I would like to thank them for their assistance, of you do.” My voice is all dripping with hoe y. I came here specifically to meet the people, it seems terribly unfair to have my goal hidden like this, so close and yet, not near close enough.

Tarasha

Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Age: 36 | Height: 6'2" | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
Isuma was a creature of the snows, not of the spring, but she wasn't trying to hide so much as trying to watch. When Tarasha began to look around Isuma met their eyes boldly, golden gaze bright and cheerful as she chirruped a greeting to the Fae who rose to meet her in the tree's branches. She leaned forward to sniff the proffered hand politely, though she wasn't the best scent-hunter. She sat back on her haunches, wings flared for balance on the branch as she chortled at the questions that were asked.

"And I should like to offer an apology for interfering with your planting," Jigano called, stepping out from behind the tree with his usual grace and poise, white hair pulled neatly back in a cascade of braids Rory had plaited into his hair that morning, and golden skin smooth and unmarred - that which was showing beneath the simple, elegant lines of his tunic and tighter trousers. "But I couldn't resist giving those seeds a fighting chance here. Frey and Rae have their work cut out for them, returning the Hollowed Grounds to balance after three centuries of neglect. But every little bit helps to revive it a little more." He offered the strange Fae hovering in the air a courtly bow as Isuma dove from the branch to join him, curling around his shoulders in excitement at meeting a new friend. "I am Jigano... and I thank you for sharing the Greatwood's bounty with us."
Tarasha Gulaab
Tattoo Artist

Change author:

I don’t turn immediately when the voice rings out behind me, but I can feel the smile grow in my lips in anticipation. My first meeting with a grounder! Slowly, I sink down to the ground, turning as I do to lay eyes on my secret helper, and I... kind of deflate a little. His silver hair is pulled into elaborate braids, and his clothes are clean and well fitting. In stark contrast, my hair is pulled into a messy bun and secured with twine, and I’m wearing my mother’s tunic, a handful of sizes too big, with a baggy pair of pants, and no shoes. At least I had applied a fresh set of tattoos. The reds and white and oranges swirling down my arms and chest  are intense, and on full display.

”I’m not certain I would consider helping me interfering, but I’ll accept your apology.” I respond with a laugh, alighting on the ground so gently that it’s hard to tell I’ve even stopped flying. ”I was worried that they would have a hard time as well, but it seems they’re in possession of good neighbours.” My humour returns all at once, excitement overriding the worry of not putting enough effort in. ”They’re a tenacious bunch though, I imagine they’ll spread in no time.”

The gryphlet flies from her perch to alight on the mans shoulders, and I gasp, razing my hand to my mouth. ”Oh you match! How precious!” I wonder if it’s intentional somehow, or a mere lucky coincidence ”It is a pleasure to make your acquaintance, Jigano. I am Tarasha.” My smile grows at his thanks, I had heard that the people outside the Greatwood were selfish, cruel folk, but it seems those reports are mistaken. Or maybe he’s simply an exception. ”I would not be being a good neighbour myself if I didn’t share our excess. A rising tide lifts all boats, doesn’t it?”

Tarasha

Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Change author:
Each Fae he had met had been unique, both in looks and personality, and Tarasha continued that trend. They were vibrantly inked in a way that few within the Hollowed Grounds could claim, their skin a canvas of color and art that was revealed as they joined Jigano on the ground. The bard smiled in relief at both the laugh the the acceptance of his apology, glad that this seemed to be one of the more curious and daring Fae, rather than one of Delah's grumpy guards - not that they didn't have reason to be grim, after the havoc the Ascended had wreaked on them.

"Thank you, gracious Tarasha," Jigano said with a grin, reaching up to scritch at Isuma's shoulder as she purred her approval of the admiration so clear in the Fae's manner, preening at the attention. "And this is Isuma. The pleasure is ours, especially to our first visitor from the Greatwood in far too long." He knew why the Fae had banned the Grounders; had understood and even supported it, giving their neighbors time to mourn and decide what to do about the threats emerging to the south. He hadn't agreed with Wessex's petty tantrum banning the Fae in return, but now that it was finally overturned perhaps the bridges could start to be rebuilt once more.

"Boats and the hearts within them," he agreed with a smile, kneeling to place his hand against the ground, skin to earth, so that he could feed the magic into the seeds and the soil below them once more. Other varieties sprouted to join those scattered by Tarasha, vibrant reds and pale blues and sunshine yellows bobbing up to create a small rainbow meadow in the glade, a patch of vibrancy amid the drab and washed out hues of the barrierlands, a mix of Greatwood and Hollowed Grounds beauty dancing together in the spring breeze. "Is that what brought you to our humble home? Neighborly good-will... or perhaps a bit of curiosity about the wicked humans and the shadowlands we live in?" he added with a crooked smile, knowing a bit about some of the Fae opinions of his people from Hazel and Jiao and Eliza.
Tarasha Gulaab
Tattoo Artist

Change author:

”I don’t think I have ever been called gracious, and I had a very generous mother.” I laugh again, then bow shallowly to Isuma as she in introduced. ”I didn’t expect to be welcomed so soon. Or to be the first one out of the woods..” Though I had been hoping I was, it was why I left so quickly after hearing about the ban being lifted. I hold a hand out to Isuma, hoping she’ll let me stroke her, or, better, take perch on my arm. Of course, I could talk about the politics of the decision, the terror the grounders, the ascended, had caused in the woods, or I could simply enjoy the company of a potential new friend.

I choose the latter, obviously. Nothing ventured nothing gained, and I haven’t made a habit of doing things in half measures before this. If Jigano is a danger, I can flit back to the trees, and consider myself satisfied with my adventure. And if not, then I’ll have gained an interesting connection.

The silver haired man crouches down, and I can’t stop myself from leaning over, curious about what he’s doing. The seeds I threw down are joined by new blooms, more rugged than my carefully cultivated flowers. There are varieties I’ve never seen, cut off from the woods for three hundred years, and it is amazing. ”It’s more curiosity than goodwill.” I admit, not at all coy about my words. ”But you don’t seem like the monsters Delah has warned us of, and your lands are hardly shadowed. At least, what I can see of them.”

Tarasha

Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Change author:
"I was on my way to see if I could find word of some of my Fae friends and acquaintances in the Greatwood," Jigano admitted with a smile. "It was luck that I heard you singing and came this way to investigate. It's alright," he added as an aside to Isuma, who looked at him expectantly. She bumped her feathered head against his cheek before making a wing-assisted leap to Tarash's arm, scampering up to the Fae's shoulder to investigate their hair. "I'm glad I did, though."

Not least because between the two of them they could add a little spot of color to the Hollowed Grounds. It wasn't much - yet - but it was a start, and all recovery had to start somewhere. He sat back on his heels, looking up (admittedly, not very far) at Tarasha with blue eyes that sparkled with appreciation for their honesty. "I appreciate both," he assured them with a wry grin. "I'm part of a guild called 'the Loreseekers' that values curiosity as an important trait!" His smile slipped a bit, though, and he studied his new-met companion more seriously. "Do you have a saying like "a few bad apples can ruin the bushel?" he asked. "We're a bit like that. Most humans are just fine and will either leave the Fae alone or want to build friendships between our peoples. But there are always a few who lack empathy or think that their rights supercede everyone else's." He sighed and pushed himself up, dusting his hands off. "Which is a roundabout way of saying that Delah isn't wrong. There are monsters here, but most of those you meet will be just... people. Regular people. A bit tall and flightless, but with many of the same vices and virtues as I've seen among the Fae." He smiled and shrugged ruefully.

"Speaking of your people, was your LongNight safe within the Woods?" They still didn't know if the monsters had taken the barrier's fall as a chance to spread out, of if they had stayed to torment the people of the Hollowed Grounds - and the Ascended who lived there, with those upgrades the monsters seemed to crave.
Tarasha Gulaab
Tattoo Artist

Change author:

”Who was it you’re looking for? I might be able to relay some news.” The offer comes automatically, though I sincerely doubt we know anyone in common. I would have heard if any of my close friends or family had been in contact with the grounders, and the ones who I had heard of exploring weren’t exactly close to me.

I’m very quickly distracted anyway, because Isuma leaps and lands gently on my shoulders, pulling a noise that is both surprise and delight from my lips. I reach up carefully to stroke her feathery head, not wanting to disturb her exploration of my shoulders too much. ”I’m very glad you came to see me as well.” Though I am mostly glad for the bundle of fur and feathers on my head right now. I don’t need to say that part out loud, of course, I’m not trying to be rude here.

I am glad my admission is met with good nature, with appreciation, as it could very well have gone a dozen other ways. ”Loreseekers?” I repeat, my curiosity piqued, as I’m sure it was meant to be. ”Like story collectors? Or... something else?” I didn’t know such a tradition existed among the people of the Hollowed grounds, though I suppose, locked away as they were, all there is to do is collect stories. Unless, of course, I’m wrong about the purpose of the group. Maybe I should wait for Jiganos clarification before I start making up my own stories in my head. The serious turn to the conversation stops my smile as easily as my companions though, and I shrug lightly, again careful of the creature on me. ”I suppose you’re all just... normal folk.” I try to press another smile to my lips, tighter than my last. ”It’s good to hear you’re not all murdered then, though it’s a shame they’re the ones who yell the loudest for you. I’m looking forward to meeting some of the nicer ones though. Like you.”

My smile grows when Jigano asks after Longnight, esse coming back to me. ”The trees protect us. As they always have. And I’m sure, as they always will. They love us, you know.” I’m... maaaaaybe proselytizing here, but it’s an old habit, and an older belief I hold. ”I heard that monsters made their way into the woods, but only shallowly. I would assume you all bore the brunt of their hunger.” There is a twist of pity in my voice there, no matter how hard I try to keep it out, and I hope the silver headed man doesn’t take too much offence to it. It’s not as if I’m trying to rub anything in.

Tarasha

Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Change author:
"Eliza," he said promptly, remembering the last time he had seen her along the Stonesong in Leafchange. "And Hazel." He hesitated briefly, then tilted his head with a wry smile. "I don't know if it would be too presumptuous of me to claim Jiao as a friend as well, but I would appreciate news of her, if you have it." It was a slim chance that Tarasha might know any of them, but slim was better than none, and he would gladly take them up on their offer if they recognized the names.

The lorekeeper grinned as Isuma made her usual charming introduction. The cheerful gryphlet had a way of bringing out the best in people, and Jigano had no illusions about who people were happiest to see when the pair of them did their rounds about town. He certainly took no offense that Tarasha was as taken in by his companion as he was, simply watching with indulgent affection as she leaned her head into the scritches, a tiny rumble of a purr vibrating up from her fuzzy chest.

"Collectors of history, of myths, of songs, and of books. Seekers of ancient wisdom and new information; researchers and explorers, learning new things and bringing them back to be collected and shared," he declared, extolling his guild's virtues with a wink. "We're always seeking new members, if you know of any Fae who might be interested." LongNight had taken a terrible toll on them with Caiside's death, but Jigano hoped that his friend would like to see the guild recover, and if nothing else his passing had pushed the Provost out of his blight-induced doldrums and back into leading his guild properly once more.

He winced but nodded at the valid comment on murderers. "I hope I can set a higher bar," he murmured.

Oddly, for once LongNight was a better topic, and Jigano listened with open curiosity as Tarasha spun their tale of the trees, his smile turning a bit sad. "I do know," he said softly. "I was honored to travel twice with Arduinna, and I saw how the forest cherished her." He could only nod grim confirmation that the monsters had focused on the Hollowed Grounds, their toll this year lighter in lives, but heavier in destruction. "Yes. And some - too many - did not survive it."
Tarasha Gulaab
Tattoo Artist

Change author:

I purse my lips and tilt my head from side to side, trying to remember any news I might have about the names mentioned, though I’m mostly drawing blanks. ”I haven’t heard of anything about them.” I offer with an apologetic grimace. ”That may be a good thing though, means they aren’t getting into trouble.” Then, as the untruth burns in my house, I hasten to correct myself. ”I did head Jiao went to Halo, and hasn’t been seen in the village since she left. If you ask me,” Nevermind that he didn’t ask me, ”I think it’s a bit tasteless. There are still folk mourning, and she just... waltzes through.” I shake my head again, the emotion behind it different this time.

The explanation of loreseekers perks me up, my interest growing into an impossible to ignore wave. I am maybe not the most well read fey in the circle, but that doesn’t mean I don’t want to learn. To grow into the world, flawed as it might be, flawed as I might be. It’s why I’m even here, at the edge of the woods. ”I think I might be a fey who’s interested.” I offer immediately. I don’t have a single idea what I would specialize in, what interest would fuel my studies and story sharing, though I have enough of them from my childhood, from the woods themselves. Perhaps that would be enough. Or at least a different point of view.

”I haven’t seen you do any murders yet, so you’re doing Nd good.” I say encouragingly, a wide smile on my face. I’m trying to chase away some of the bad feelings the... guilt, maybe? It was my comment that brought it on, and though I’m not wrong, that didn’t mean I need to throw the fact in Jigano’s face.

The bard smiles, and says he knows what it’s like, a fact I do find a little hard to believe. I have lived a lifetime nestled within the trees and dark, and still barely understand them. A few trips, even with Arduinna (a fact that makes me supremely jealous) don’t compare. ”I’m sorry for your losses.” I want to say something more, but the platitudes all feel fake on my tongue, empty hopes for those I don’t know, have never known, will never know. I can feel a quiet awkwardness rise up in me, my feet shuffling, but I am not sure how to move past it, and can only hope Jigano does.

Tarasha

Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Change author:
"Yes, perhaps no news is good news," Jigano started to murmur, but his words were almost run over by Tarasha's opinion of Jiao. Both silver brows rose in surprise at the news that the dainty seamstress had been first among the Fae to use the portal and travel to Halo. She had always seemed a bit distant from her kin and what others thought of her, though, and had expressed before that she didn't really have anyone close to her. He hadn't taken her for being particularly adventurous, but if she had gone through it made a certain amount of sense, at least from the perspective that she would have fewer ties holding her to the Greatwood, and fewer to mourn her should the worst befall htie little crew. "I would not have expected Jiao to willingly endure such hardship," he said instead, for he could see her blithely offending others and not even realizing it with her actions.

He had, admittedly, hoped to sell interest in the Loreseekers since the new year had brought a renewed determination to steward his guild once more, free of the blight and needing to recruit members to replace those who had been lost through attrition to Caido and LongNight. His smile grew and Isuma peeped happily at Tarasha's interest. "Then please, come by the Atheneum when you're ready to learn more, and let us discuss what the Loreseekers can do for you, and how you would like to help us in turn. I admit, I would very much like to have some Fae members, to bring a different set of insights to our research. We number Outlanders and Naturals alike among our membership, and representatives of almost every race we've encountered - but not yet Fae," he admitted regretfully. Not too regretfully though, given how hopefully he looked at Tarasha to possibly help change that.

"I shall try to keep it that way," he assured Tarasha with a smile that showed he knew they were joking. "Though if any mosquitoes or spiders go for a bite, I reserve the right to defend myself!"

Mention of the monsters of LongNight and their predations was still too fresh for it to do anything other than hurt, but Jigano tilted his head in silent acceptance of their sympathy. "Thank you. It is almost time for Fiat Lux, though. A festival to remember those who have passed, and celebrate the life that continues. After the nightmare of that week... well. It is a good way for some of those scars to begin to heal. I'm glad the sanctions between our lands were lifted in time for the Fae to join us for it," he added coaxingly, dropping a hint in an ear he hoped migth be receptive to coming to see more of the humans in a celebration of life, rather than the carnage of death that the Fae had reason to fear from them after the Ascended rampage at the Mathair.
Tarasha Gulaab
Tattoo Artist

Change author:

”I will keep an ear open for you.” I promise, already knowing I will be seeing this man again. He’s an interesting one, and filled with more than enough answers to my questions so far. And I’d get to see his griffin again, which is a definite bonus. He seems surprised by Jiao’s actions, as much as anyone had been. ”No one is sure what she was thinking. I know I don’t want to spend any time in the cold.” I make a face, scrunching up my nose, and shiver involuntarily. Just thinking about it affects me.

There is absolutely an ulterior motive in his pushing of his guild, but there’s no cons I can see for me. Being part of a group dedicated to learning sounds interesting, at the very least. ”I warn you, I am not exactly... a researcher, or anything like that. I prefer to learn things through trial and error.” That could be enough, though, right? And I could definitely provide a different viewpoint, a fresh set of eyes and ideas. The more I think about it the more appealing it sounds. ”Is this Aetheneum easy to find?” I ask, half talking myself into joining already. It would give me a place to share my knowledge, to talk about my hybrids and my pigment making and my craft.

”Well that’s only fair. It would be self Defense.” I laugh brightly, my hand coming up to cover my mouth as I do. ”As long as you don’t make them suffer for it.” I know this is all in good fun, but I still have to be specific. Just in case.

I cock my head at the mention of Fiat Lux, interest sparking across my face. ”It seems the ban lifted at exactly the right time. I would be very interested to meet more of you, especially during such a festivity.” This was another decision I already had half made, though the encouragement really did help. What could it hurt anyway? Where was the harm in joining in, now that it was allowed again? ”I’ll have to clear some space in my schedule, to ensure I don’t miss it.” I offer the hard a smile, would offer a wink too if it isn’t seem so obvious.

Tarasha

Tarasha Gulaab
Tattoo Artist

Change author:

”I will keep an ear open for you.” I promise, already knowing I will be seeing this man again. He’s an interesting one, and filled with more than enough answers to my questions so far. And I’d get to see his griffin again, which is a definite bonus. He seems surprised by Jiao’s actions, as much as anyone had been. ”No one is sure what she was thinking. I know I don’t want to spend any time in the cold.” I make a face, scrunching up my nose, and shiver involuntarily. Just thinking about it affects me.

There is absolutely an ulterior motive in his pushing of his guild, but there’s no cons I can see for me. Being part of a group dedicated to learning sounds interesting, at the very least. ”I warn you, I am not exactly... a researcher, or anything like that. I prefer to learn things through trial and error.” That could be enough, though, right? And I could definitely provide a different viewpoint, a fresh set of eyes and ideas. The more I think about it the more appealing it sounds. ”Is this Aetheneum easy to find?” I ask, half talking myself into joining already. It would give me a place to share my knowledge, to talk about my hybrids and my pigment making and my craft.

”Well that’s only fair. It would be self Defense.” I laugh brightly, my hand coming up to cover my mouth as I do. ”As long as you don’t make them suffer for it.” I know this is all in good fun, but I still have to be specific. Just in case.

I cock my head at the mention of Fiat Lux, interest sparking across my face. ”It seems the ban lifted at exactly the right time. I would be very interested to meet more of you, especially during such a festivity.” This was another decision I already had half made, though the encouragement really did help. What could it hurt anyway? Where was the harm in joining in, now that it was allowed again? ”I’ll have to clear some space in my schedule, to ensure I don’t miss it.” I offer the hard a smile, would offer a wink too if it isn’t seem so obvious.

Tarasha