Mini Event riddle me timbers! (Riddle Contest)
the Firebrand
Headmaster / Grand Healer

Age: 29 | Height: 5' 11' | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 11 - Strg: 32 - Dext: 33 - Endr: 35 - Luck: 39 - Int:
ASTRA - Mythical - Luxere
Played by: Crooked Offline
Change author:
MP: 3415
LOREN
Loren had somehow ended up in charge of the Loreseekers stall, despite being its newest member. Maybe because he was the newest member, actually, now that he thought about it. Honestly, though he’d grumbled about it, he didn’t mind. In fact, he was kind of excited

Which was why he was actually doing the whole shouting at people as they passed, trying to get them to join in the fun. And if he was making a complete fool of himself, well, he found that he was surprisingly okay with that. ”Come one, come all, to the Loreseeker’s Second Annual Riddle Contest. Think you’ve got what it takes to answer the toughest questions we could come up with? Only one way to find out!”

Pausing to let those words sink he, he eventually grinned. ”Plus, there’s a prize for everyone who gets a riddle correct. And a grand prize to the individual who is lucky, or smart, or nerdy enough to get the most riddles correct over the course of the contest. Are you brave enough to match your wits against mine in this grueling gauntlet of the mind?” At this point, he was just making shit up (except the part about the prizes, that was real). Still, hopefully it would be enough to entice people to show up.

The first riddle(s) will be presented 72 hours(ish) from now, and you will have 48 hours(ish) between each round to offer your answers! Each person who gets a riddle right will get a prize (just one per person, not per riddle). You can join and leave the contest at any point, but there will be a grand prize offered to the individual who gets the most riddles correct over the course of the contest.

p.s. We are also still accepting submissions for riddles, especially riddles about Caido!
A beggar's book
outworths
a noble's blood
Blacksmith

Age: 29 | Height: 5'6 | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Greatwood
Level: 5 - Strg: 20 - Dext: 19 - Endr: 21 - Luck: 22 - Int:
Played by: Oakley Offline
Change author:
MP: 700
OLIVER
Riddles certainly weren't Oliver's specialty, but any chance he had to participate in an event at the festival was greatly appreciated. Besides, maybe everyone else would suck equally as much! Walking on up to Loren, Oliver offered the man a wide grin. "Hey Loren, didn't know you had joined the Loreseekers." Maybe he had and the thought had slipped away. Oh well, what was said had been said.

Glancing around, Oliver eagerly waited to see who else would show up to participate in the little contest. He was also looking around to see if Loren already had some of the prizes laid out. He was eager and wanted to see what exactly the winner would obtain from such a contest. A book? A pen? Those seemed in like with being smart and stuff, but what about more conventional prizes? Like a basket of alcohol?!
I JUST WANT MY EXISTENCE
TO BE MORE THAN TREMBLING
the Firebrand

Age: 29 | Height: 5' 11' | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:
LOREN
Only one person turned out for the first round of the riddle contest, but that was alright. They’d got many riddles, and maybe when they got started more would show up. "Thanks for coming. Guess this means you really wanted those prizes."

Grinning at Oliver, Loren finished around in the bowl. As he did, he laid out further rules. ”All of these riddles pertain to life in Caido in one way or another. We have specific answers in mind, but I can be convinced that your responses fit the bill if you make a compelling argument. Also, you only get one guess per round.” That said, he pulled out a scrap of paper with a flourish. His eyes sparkled as he read it:

I am made, but not by man.
I cannot be eaten, but what's inside me can.
I am not just a home, for I'm also a palace.
But disturb me not, or you shall feel my malice.

Folding the paper, he placed it in a separate bowl. "I can repeat it if necessary. And I'm excited to hear your guesses." He smiled as he waited for the other man's answers.

You have 48 hours to respond before the next riddle.

As stated above, the riddle is about Caido. Only those here at the start of each round to hear the riddle get to guess. Anyone is welcome to join before the next round, however.
A beggar's book
outworths
a noble's blood
Blacksmith

Age: 29 | Height: 5'6 | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Greatwood
Change author:
OLIVER
Loren was onto him. The man hadn't known him for too long and already he could tell how eager Oliver was for some prizes, but who could blame him? Nobody else seemed keen on joining him, at least not yet. With a shrug, Oliver focused on listening to the riddle. He wasn't the best at this kind of stuff, but he could give it a try.

As the riddle was spoken out loud, the blonde man let out a hum. It was a bit hard to just be stared at by Loren, a man who was waiting for his response. It added a bit of pressure. He did have one thing that gave him a bit more confidence: the ability to use persuasion. His eyes landed back on Loren and he spoke with confidence, hoping that his answer could possibly work out. "I think the answer is the Greatwood. It wasn't created by man, maybe by the Fae but most of it seems to be from nature. You cant really eat a place, but I'm sure there are tons of good fruit and other things that can be offered within it. It is a palace to those who reside, but many of us are incapable of visiting, which is why you said not to disturb." And with that, he watched with eager eyes, ready to see whether or not his answer was fitting enough.
I JUST WANT MY EXISTENCE
the Firebrand

Change author:
LOREN
Loren gave Oliver a sympathetic smile. Unfortunately, the summoner shook his head. ”Sorry. That’s not it. The answer was a hive of Chorus Bees.” The Launceleyn’s voice was cheerful, despite the fact that so few people had shown up for the contest. "That's alright though. There's definitely more where that came from." With that, he reached back into the bowl and fished around. Removing another scrap of paper, Loren grinned when he saw it was one of the ones he had submitted:

I contain a whole world, yet am bound
I transport myself and others, yet cannot walk
When you touch my body, I touch your mind
What am I?

Tossing the scrap back into the bowl, he crossed his arms. "Alright then. What do you think it is?" There was a gleeful challenge in his voice.

The next riddle will be posted in 48 hours! Again, it's not to late to join the contest.
A beggar's book
outworths
a noble's blood
Rexanna De Rosieres
the Penumbra
Queen of the Hollowed Grounds

Age: 34 | Height: 5'4" | Race: Ascended x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 4 Abandoned (Level 3 Ascended) - Strg: 19 - Dext: 14 - Endr: 20 - Luck: 9 - Int:
Played by: Skylark Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
i'm tired of the weight of mortality, i want to tear it from my veins
until i bleed silver and gold
Riddles too? Well, don’t mind if she does. She used to be rather good at them back in Helovia, but some things tended to change. Approaching it right before Loren announces the second riddle, Rexanna gives him a bright smile, a slight wave of her parasol as she turns her head to Oliver to greet him too with a slight nod in her own quiet greeting – emerald eyes scanning over the blonde before looking back to Loren as he grabs a scrap of paper from the bowl.

And she thinks on it for a brief moment, recalling some of the theories and stories she’d heard from Jigano, and the fact that Loren was around the Atheneum a lot (old history from Remi that she’s uncertain is still true or not), but she’d heard the rumors. Tilting her head and squinting a bit, she gives a bright fanged smile. “Are you a Sentient Book, perhaps?
maybe one day they'll chant our names
and name galaxies after us, and we too shall be eternal
REXANNA
Blacksmith

Change author:
OLIVER
Well. Maybe he’s a lot worse at riddles than he initially thought. What the fuck even was a Chorus Bee?! How was he going to get any riddles right if he already messed up on the first. The only thing motivating Oliver right now was the promise of a prize. At first he thought he had it in the bag....until someone else showed up and stated their answer. Shit that sounded correct.

With a hum, Oliver hurriedly tried to think of something else that could possibly work. Convincing Loren didn’t really work so instead he decided to just give his answer. Hopefully he wasn’t completely wrong this time. ”A portal.” What the hell even was a Sentient Book? At least he had dealt with portals before, venturing into Halo previously.
I JUST WANT MY EXISTENCE
Tarasha Gulaab
Tattoo Artist

Age: 118 | Height: 4'6" | Race: Fae | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Greatwood
Level: 1 - Strg: 13 - Dext: 12 - Endr: 12 - Luck: 8 - Int:
Played by: Johnnie Offline
Change author:
you got a pretty vision
So I am maybe a touch late for the riddle game. I was maybe distracted by other games, by the spectacle of the festival at large, but at least I’m not the only person to arrive late in the game, coming up just as a new game begins with another, refined looking woman. I look up (and up and up, gods is everyone here a giant?) at the host, hand on my chin, fingers stroking as I make a show of thinking.

Then I frown over at the other newcomer, since she stole my answer, but sigh and look back over to the riddle asker. ”It’s a book. I don’t know about sentient, but... book for sure.” I laugh, and wait expectantly for the answer, immediately excited about the game.
in your head
TARASHA
the Firebrand

Change author:
LOREN
Loren couldn’t help but grin as Rexanna arrived at the contest. Then someone he didn’t know showed up—a Fae, no less—and he smiled at them as well. ”Hi there. I don’t think we’ve met. I’m Loren.” He held out his hand for them to shake.

Stepping back, he shook his head at Oliver. ”Unfortunately, that’s not it.” His tone was sympathetic, and he smiled. Turning to the Fae, he shook his head again. ”It’s a book, but I was looking for something a little more specific than that.” Finally, he turned to Rexanna, and gave her a challenging grin. ”Right answer, wrong rules! You had to be here when I announced the riddle to be eligible for a prize, your majesty.” His tone was teasing, and he wagged a finger at her.

Turning back to the group, still grinning, he fished another riddle from the bowl. ”Don’t worry, though, there’s plenty more where that came from. And if you all are interested in Sentient Books, we’ve got quite a few in the Loreseeker’s Guild, located underneath the Atheneum. We’ve also got a book on the flora and fauna of the Hollowed Grounds that you are more than welcome to peruse.” After giving his sales pitch, he finally unrolled the latest scrap of paper:

Pieces of me are born in cloud. Pieces of me live in your eyes. Pieces of me die in iron. Who am I?

You have 48 hours to answer! Please DM me what you think the answer is so that everyone gets a chance to submit their answers without being influenced by others. Anyone who joins in next 48 hours will be eligible to answer the next riddle.
A beggar's book
outworths
a noble's blood
Rexanna De Rosieres
the Penumbra

Age: 34 | Height: 5'4" | Race: Ascended x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 4 Abandoned (Level 3 Ascended) - Strg: 19 - Dext: 14 - Endr: 20 - Luck: 9 - Int:
Change author:
A fae soon appears, and Rexanna dips her head in greeting to the other woman before her gaze lifts back to Loren with that playful fanged smirk along her lips as he turns to her to give the answer. “Ack.” She says, wrinkling her nose at his term of your majesty, shaking her head as her dark hair bounces around her shoulders. “Next time.” She winks before settling again and humming thoughtfully.

That’s a difficult one.” She says at first, contemplating it enough that her brows furrow and she fidgets with the parasol over her shoulder, one hand going to trace the raised skin of her brand while she thinks on it. She doesn’t think she’s right when she finally settles on an answer, but she tells him her answer anyway, settling and waiting for the others to announce their thoughts on the matter.
REXANNA
Tarasha Gulaab
Tattoo Artist

Age: 118 | Height: 4'6" | Race: Fae | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Greatwood
Level: 1 - Strg: 13 - Dext: 12 - Endr: 12 - Luck: 8 - Int:
Played by: Johnnie Offline
Change author:
you got a pretty vision
”We most certainly have not met. But it is a pleasure.” I reach out to take his hand in both of mine, bemused by the human custom. The other man, Sunjata, had done it as well. After a moment I release his hand and introduce myself with a small flourish. ”I am Tarasha.”

I’m not pleased to learn I wasn’t entirely correct, and suck my teeth in exaggerated disappointment. The segue from answer to pitch does make me smile. There is a smoothness to the game masters speech that I appreciate. Little does he know I am already planning to join the guild. The next riddle has my smile tightening.

I have no idea what the answer is. I laugh, softly, but maybe a little hysterically, and nod in agreement to the dark haired woman’s words. ”Are you...” I think for a moment, two answers coming to mind, though I have no confidence in either. Finally, I choose one, mostly randomly, and give it.
in your head
TARASHA
Blacksmith

Change author:
OLIVER
With a smile of confidence on his face, Oliver hid a small little jump. Of course, he was bubbling with excitement now. This riddle...he felt like he knew the answer to. He had an answer that would work, he just knew it. The other two people in attendance seemed confident as well, but that wouldn't deter Oliver. In fact, it almost gave him even more energy. He would get a riddle right, he just knew it. Maybe this one would be it.

Leaning forward, he tried to keep his answer a bit of a secret. "I think...the answer to the riddle is-" And he stated it, quick and with a smile, before stepping back and turning to look at his competitors. One would most likely be right and only time would tell who the winner was.
I JUST WANT MY EXISTENCE
the Firebrand

Change author:
LOREN
Giving the Fae a firm handshake, Loren smiled. ”It’s a pleasure to meet you as well. And I’m glad you decided to come out to the Hollowed Grounds for Fiat Lux. Do the Fae also celebrate like this during Flowerbirth?” His tone was friendly and curious in equal measure.

As they each gave their answers, Loren noted them down, along with the explanation if any:

Rexanna said dreams, because “you can dream upon the clouds, follow your dreams (imagining through sight and what not) and in battles from swords your dreams will die if you die too!”
Tarasha said light, because “light shines through storm clouds, there’s a light of my eye, and light is quenched with forging.”
Oliver said water, because “water is from clouds in the form of rain. As well, when you cry you have tears, another form of water.”

Flipping the initial scrap over, the summoner frowned at the answer. ”Huh. Apparently the answer was Safrin.” He gave them an apologetic grin. ”I don’t think I would’ve gotten that one, either, so we’re going to pretend that I actually checked all these before they got tossed in the bowl. Although now seems like a good time to mention that one of the Loreseekers is a devotee of Safrin, and I believe I heard rumors about a special library the goddess revealed, with many secret tomes.” He tapped his nose.

”However, I like Oliver’s answer, especially because water rusts iron, which is a form of death. So he gets a point and a prize.” With that, he finally reached under the stall to set a box on the kiosk’s shelf. This, he revealed the prizes:

Flower crowns and other floral adornments
Small blades with a variety of decorations on their hilts (snowflakes, dragons, fire, etc.)
Glasses with tinted lenses
Bags of various sizes and materials
Four pieces of jewelry: a necklace with an open book as the decoration, a bracelet that was shaped as a rolled up scroll, a ring that had letters on it, and two earrings that resembled blank pieces of parchment
Candy

”Take your pick. Or if this is not to your liking, I can make you something custom.” The Launceleyn waggled his fingers, before dipping his hand into the bowl for another riddle. When he saw what it was, he grinned. ”Alright, this is one of mine, so apologies in advance.” With that, he cleared his throat, then read it out:

I am the light that shines in the darkest days. Despite my strong protections, I am prey. When snow falls, your song calls me. What am I?

Oliver gets a prize and a point! You have 48 hours to respond. Again, please DM me your replies. There are two riddles left, and it’s not too late to hop into the contest.
A beggar's book
outworths
a noble's blood
Rexanna De Rosieres
the Penumbra

Change author:
They all give their answers, and Rexanna listens as she shifts the parasol on her shoulder as Loren explains the answer. Safrin? She supposes it makes sense, but the thought of it makes a small hum of amusement leave her. She’s never met the goddess, perhaps that’s how she hasn’t gotten the edge of that. At least there was another riddle.

She waits for Oliver to decide what his prize is, giving him a bright fanged smile. “Good job Oliver.” She announces, a slight cheer to her voice and a nod. And then she inspects the prizes, imagining which ones Deimos had managed to make and seeing them within, because honestly who else would have made them?

Focusing on the next riddle once Loren gets around to it, it seemed so much easier, and she jumps at the opportunity with a bright smile at the answer that resounds in her mind. Had she had a heartbeat, she might have waited a few pulses before answering, but she can’t help but to jump on it as soon as she can. “Oh, I’ve got this one.” She gives her newfound companions a conspirator’s look before she announces her answer.
REXANNA