Where do I go from here?
Maea Valair
Hollowed Grounds Ambassador / Loreseeker

Age: 29 | Height: 156 cm / 5'1 ft | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 2 - Strg: 22 - Dext: 22 - Endr: 25 - Luck: 20 - Int:
Played by: Chan Offline
Change author:
MP: 1897
M
 A
  E
   A
I talked to God to no avail

Said, "If you won't save me, please don't waste my time."

A stray cloud wandered over the sky, thin and wispy against the resplendant LongHeat sun. Similarly, a very small dark figure meandered slowly through the marketplace, passing stalls and vendors and answering startled calls from familiar voices with a distant smile and a handwave. But Maea did not stop to talk to anyone. She was not in the right mindset for smalltalk, or for facing questions she didn't have the answer to.

Turns out, being spirited away for a year did things to your life. Unexpected things, confusing things, painful and unsettling things. Anyone else would probably have been able to see the humor in her predicament, but Maea had always found it difficult to laugh at problems.

With her shawl pulled up over the hair to shield her from the fury of the light, she retreated into the shadow between buildings and sat down on the ground. Leaning her back against the wall, she licked dry lips and tried to think around the slow pulse in her temples. She needed something to eat, to drink, someplace to sleep. Gods, how much she wanted to go home.

But for the first time in her life, there was nothing to go back to. No home. No nothing. Everything was destroyed, everything was rotten and weathered and gone.

Closing her eyes, she sighed and let the head thump back. If only it wasn't so hot... at least she could have napped for a bit.

♦ Violence, magic, thievery is permitted with Maea at all times. DM me if you have any ideas ♦
Rexanna De Rosieres
the Penumbra
Queen of the Hollowed Grounds

Age: 34 | Height: 5'4" | Race: Ascended x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 4 Abandoned (Level 3 Ascended) - Strg: 19 - Dext: 14 - Endr: 20 - Luck: 9 - Int:
Played by: Skylark Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
in the right heaven-yellow light, anything could be
holy enough to save you
The tech she had been given had come in handy with the shift in seasons. When the sun was out far longer than it had been – when she needed to be more protected from it while also retaining her duties as queen, and with it she’s managed to keep it in her pocket and ready to spring it out at a moments notice. She brings her parasol for the shorter excursions, to keep her in the shadow, hood atop her head to keep everything out, sleeves long and dark. It helps being unable to feel the heat, not having it react with her. And at this present moment when she moves from one building to another, she spots Maea – a person she hasn’t seen in… Gods, forever?

She pauses, drifting into the shadow to kneel before the pale woman – green gaze looking at her to see what was fully wrong. “Maea?” She asks quietly, pushing into the shade of the building further, pushing the parasol over her shoulder to help against any reflection of sunlight there may be. She narrows in on the other woman – the one that they had practiced their magics together, a lifetime ago, when she’d been only Abandoned. Before Zariah, before her wedding, before the blight… Before, well, everything.

Concern laces her dark brows, inching them forward as she glances back out to the busy settlement. “I’ve got a quieter place we can go if you need a place to rest and get some food and drink?” She says. It’s not too far from her old home, the one that Clemente now occupies. Sure that Clem won’t mind if she drops in for a moment (though he might not even be there, given what’s happened recently), she looks back to Maea with her offer, ready to take the girls hand and lead her there should she wish to.
REXANNA
Maea Valair

Age: 29 | Height: 156 cm / 5'1 ft | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
M
 A
  E
   A

Sounds swam all around her. The distant murmur of voices. Animals. A soft breeze stirring the branches of a leafy brush... they all blurred together into something distant, a familliar comfort and grating annoyance. She wanted to go back, blend in with the crowd again and enjoy the feeling of belonging, of being part of the whole. Forget herself and disappear. And she wanted to be alone. Sit in silence and brood, weigh her options, fish for something, anything that could stir her into action. Some hint of desire.

But most of all she just wanted to sleep.

Approaching footsteps made her tense, and when they stopped right in front of her, Maea opened her eyes and looked up. She heard her name, and thought she recognized the voice, if barely. The face of the woman it belonged to was somewhat familiar too, but though she searched her memory for a name, she couldn't recall if there should be a name to go along with it. Had she ever heard it?

The woman offered solitude, and refreshments. That was... new. No questions, no startled remarks on how long it had been, where had she been!? Just... a simple offer. Anything else the young woman would have refused, rejected. But this?

She nodded. Accepting the offered hand, Maea stood. She thought she ought to say something, ask something... but her throat had closed and the tongue felt numb. So she merely waited, until this almost-stranger indicated where they were going. She would follow. It was all she could think to do, right now.

♦ Violence, magic, thievery is permitted with Maea at all times. DM me if you have any ideas ♦
Rexanna De Rosieres
the Penumbra

Age: 34 | Height: 5'4" | Race: Ascended x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 4 Abandoned (Level 3 Ascended) - Strg: 19 - Dext: 14 - Endr: 20 - Luck: 9 - Int:
Change author:
holy enough to save you
The woman says nothing, but it doesn’t bother Rexanna any. Judging by the state of the pale woman, the chapped lips, it’s a wonder nobody else has offered the same so far. She still offers a gentle smile to her, willing and wanting to help, if for nothing else but that time that her and Deimos had gone to the Loreseekers and spoke with her about what could be done about the issues of that time, which had now seemed so little in comparison.

Her hand is taken, and Rexanna helps her stand, a nod given to accept her offer, and so she begins to guide the girl. “Hold onto me, we have to cross the street but I can’t be out in the sun for long so we're going to try something.” She tells Maea, reaching for the technology in her pocket to activate and create that impenetrable darkness to dart across the street. And once she’s at the doorstep of her once home, she clicks it off and opens the door, guiding the girl within should she let her.

Only once they’re in, does Rexanna lower the parasol and her hood – emerald gaze flitting to the pale woman before gesturing to the seating area. “Here, take a seat. I’ll get you some water.” Departing from the entry way, Rexanna makes her way to the kitchen to grab a glass and fill it with water, before returning.
REXANNA
Maea Valair

Change author:
M
 A
  E
   A

A sidelong glance at the woman is all the response Maea gives to the professed sunlight problem. The look in her eyes suggests she has a lot of thoughts about the subject, but the very recent conversation argument with Amun makes her keep any opinions to herself. Not that she should judge anyone herself. Maea's skin is already burned and flaking from too much exposure, though her own sensitivity has more to do with the white hair and colorless eyes than... anything else.

Getting out of the sun is a relief, regardless. She slipped quietly into the offered seat, and accepted the water with a grateful nod. Sipping at it carefully, the pale girl could feel the headache begin to recede, and it was a bliss to feel the cool liquid soothe her chapped lips.

"Thank you" she said after a while, her voice hoarse again; a sore croak, from speaking too little and drinking not enough. "It's Rex... right?" She hazarded a guess at the name. It sounded right, at least, and she hoped it was close enough. Would be somewhat embarrassing to get it wrong when this person clearly knew her.

"I'm sorry. My memory seems to be a bit... jumbled."

Rexanna De Rosieres
the Penumbra

Change author:
holy enough to save you
Luckily for her, Maea doesn’t freak out when the technology is activated – and if Rexanna breathed anymore, she likely would’ve sighed a bit in relief at it. But they’re inside, curtains drawn to keep the light and the heat out, and when Rexanna returns with the glass of water she offers it to the woman with a soft smile. After a split second, she departs back into the kitchen to make a sandwich of sorts to place on a plate and return to the seating area.

She sets the plate before Maea on a small table before taking a seat across from her, crossing one leg over the other and allowing her gaze to drift over the pale girl. It’s been… So long, since Rexanna had spoken to or heard about Maea, so many questions that she keeps hidden beneath her tongue. “Yes.” She replies at first, shaking her head at Maea’s apology. “It’s okay, it’s been awhile anyway.” She offers a bit quietly, waving a hand as if it meant nothing to her. Which, really it didn’t.

She shrugs out of her jacket now, left in a sleeveless shirt and a deep V that shows her scarring on her chest and the brand on her collarbone, before she settles in again. “I’m glad that you’re okay.” She offers quietly – so many have been lost and disappeared, and it was heartbreaking to see. But Maea had come back, perhaps there were hope for some others too.
REXANNA
Maea Valair

Change author:
M
 A
  E
   A

Thin shoulders rose and fell in a non-committal shrug. Was she okay? More than others, she supposed. But also less than she had been. Maea's eyes darted quickly to the exposed skin of Rex's chest, noticing the scars, the brand - she quickly looked away again, with a vague sense of guilt. It appeared things had happened here while she was gone. Good things, bad things... and Maea hadn't been around to see any of it. Of course it wasn't by choice, nothing she had decided to stay out of, but... she felt bad all the same.

"I'm glad you are too" she murmured, with eyes fixing on the sandwich before her. "I'm... Could you fill me in? About what I've missed?"

There was so much she couldn't understand, references to events no one wanted to talk about, people gone, new ones that had arrived... and it would be a lot easier to talk about something that didn't circle around herself. For a while, at least. Eventually she would probably have to say something, try to explain...

"I remember the Spire, the barrier coming down, and... the Fiat Lux. Those are still clear. But after that, everything is a bit... jumbled. Maybe because I got sick." Maea looked up at Rex, quiet question in her gaze.

Rexanna De Rosieres
the Penumbra

Change author:
holy enough to save you
Rexanna nods to Maea with a soft smile playing at the edges of her lips. “There’s… A lot.” She begins, not needing to breathe but still feeling wanting to inhale if only to signify it. “I think it might be better suited for Jigano to recount – as I’m sure he can list it out far better than I could.” She snorts to this, shaking her head lightly. “Most notable changes I suppose are that Zariah crowned herself Queen before disappearing and leaving Edrei as Queen. She promoted Jigano to King and Wessex to Queen before Jigano stepped down, letting Ronin take his place. Edrei unfortunately died to a Landshark attack, leaving Wessex and Ronin. And then the blight happened, and Ronin stepped away from it all, leaving Wessex as Queen.” She tries to list out what’s happened most notably.

After conflicts and what not, Wessex held a vote to see if she should remain as Queen. And during that time, most people voted for a council, then voted me as queen to implement it.” She adds, looking over to one of the drawn windows. “The Rathskeller burned down last LongNight, as did the Monster Hunter’s Guild. Remi and Ronin got married. Bastien and I got married. And I Ascended.” She waits to see if any of those spark any sort of interest, anything Maea may want her to expand on. It’s likely Jigano can explain it in far better detail.
REXANNA
Maea Valair

Change author:
M
 A
  E
   A

It was, indeed, a lot. Much to process. Much to take in. No doubt Rex was right, Jigano would be able to fill in the details, but this was more than enough to start. It was a timeline, a starting point. And perhaps Maea was more of a loreseeker than she had thought, because she felt some of the numbness fade, replaced by curiosity. A desire to hear more.

"A blight?" she inquired. Preoccupied with the potential story behind that, her body was finally free to take care of its own needs; without thinking her hand went for the sandwich, and she nibbled at it thoughtfully.

It was... interesting, to say the least, that so many people had come and gone as leaders since her own sorry attempt at the post had failed. Some of the names did not surprise her. Zariah she had known of, while Wessex and Ronin were names she had heard so often it would have been strange not to see them in such a spot. Jigano had wanted it, and not... and it seemed he had been able to let go of the temptation he'd once warned Maea about. Good for him.

She would miss the Rathskeller. It had been a gathering place for many, a place to go when you needed to get your mind off things, let loose. Had another establishment been set up yet? One would pop up, sooner or later, of that Maea was certain.

"What's it like? Being Queen."

Strange, how good it felt to be the one asking the questions. Freeing, somehow. Empowering. Like she was in charge, for once, and could decide the direction in which things were going. No doubt it would change soon, but as she chewed on her food Maea savored the sensation. It was not one she was accustomed to.

Rexanna De Rosieres
the Penumbra

Change author:
holy enough to save you
Start small and branch from there, she imagines is the easiest place to begin. A brief timeline of events that happened to get the ball rolling, allowing Maea the time to adjust and understand. And as the mention of the blight comes around, Rexanna’s soft contemplative smile shifts toward a frown. “The blight was a disease accidentally spread by the Ascended to the Greatwood.” She begins to explain, no way to shift the blame or make it any easier – just the cold truths regardless of what kind of light it puts them in. “And it began to infect the people in… Animalistic ways. Vi gave us flowers to plant to try and cure the afflicted, but it wasn’t until a Fae named Arduinna stepped in that it was fully stopped.” Her frown deepens, knowing Jigano could likely fill in the rest easier than she could – biases aside.

But soon enough among the explanations, she pauses once more to let Maea ask questions. And this question in particular is one that she doesn’t quite expect. It brings a slight smile back to her face before she shakes her head. “It’s easier than my first kingdom, so far at least.” She explains before her emerald gaze lifts to the pale woman’s face. “A lot of responsibility, as per usual. But it wasn’t a job I asked for or wanted, just… Had prior experience and people thought I might be good at it.” Her shoulders rise and fall in a shrug. “So here I am.” Here she is, indeed.
REXANNA
Maea Valair

Change author:
M
 A
  E
   A

Maea nodded slowly. A few strands of milky hair drifted down to hang before her eyes, but she made no move to push them away as she regarded the woman. Perhaps she ought to behave differently, sitting in front of a ruler, she thought absently. Use some kind of formal speech, courtsy and be polite. But royalty or governers had always been a foreign concept in the Grounds. The stuff of legends and stories, something you'd read about in books and laugh at, because wasn't it silly how those people couldn't made decisions for themselves? Yet still Maea had tried to become one such leader, and here was another, more successful version. And she recalled the person who'd come to the Loreseekers looking for answers. And that other time when they'd played with magic together, and laughed.

Did a title make anything different? Maea didn't think so. In the end, the only thing that made Rexanna successful at the job where she had not been, was the approval of the people around them. Or the lack thereof.

She sighed.

"I'm sure you're doing a good job, or they would have replaced you by now" she remarked. "Even with things like the blight. Or perhaps because of it. Maybe it was fine for everyone to take care of themselves before the barrier came down, but now... the world has suddenly become so much bigger than it was. Now there's all this freedom, and... I don't even know what to do with it."

Reaching a hand for the glass, she made a stirring motion with a finger in the air above it. The liquid began to slowly turn about the container, in lazy circles. It mirrored Maea's thoughts, the way it went round and round without getting anywhere. She looked away and tucked her hands under the shawl; watching it had made her nauseous.

Rexanna De Rosieres
the Penumbra

Change author:
holy enough to save you
She lets Maea mull over the information – likely bombarded by the many of it, following down the rabbit holes of separate making, leading to different locations, overlapping only occasionally where she’s sure Jigano could fill in the majority of it. But the mention of them replacing her if she weren’t doing a good job has her nodding slightly – it’s how she’d planned to design it, at least. Toss them out if they weren’t doing what the people wanted. And that’s where the council comes into place.

The mention of the blight, of people taking care of themselves before then, Rexanna nods along with that too. “It’s overwhelming.” She agrees quietly, crossing one leg over the other as she looks about her old house, leaning back into the cushions of her seat. “Before, the Grounds never really needed a ruler. But now? Perhaps not with the Greatwood and the Fae. But with Halo, well. I wouldn’t trust them to not come here and try to absorb us into their form of monarchy.” She hasn’t met Neron yet, hasn’t met anyone else other than Zariah. And from just that alone, she doesn’t trust the icy tundra, a place she may have wished to call home.

Her head tilts as she looks back to Maea next, though. “I think that now since you’re back, perhaps finding some normalcy from before you left might help put some pieces back together? Go explore and learn about the Greatwood when you’re ready, or even Halo. But being a Loreseeker, I think that seeking out Jigano might help give you some better pointers.” She offers, shoulders rising and falling in a shrug before she reaches to fiddle with her necklace that crosses the starburst scar on her chest from where she’d been impaled last LongNight.
REXANNA
Maea Valair

Change author:
M
 A
  E
   A

Maea nodded. Slowly, gradually, she was starting to relax. The topics they chose were not easy, nor light, but the tone of the conversation was. There was no pressure, no urgency, and no focus on her until she chose there to be, and it was... soothing. No wonder they had chosen Rex to lead, she mused. She was a calming presence, a voice of reason, and seemed to have a natural sense of what was needed to make someone relax. It had always been easy to talk to her, Maea recalled, and the advice she gave even now was sound.

"They can try. But knowing the people here, I wonder who'd be absorbing whom in the end, she commented dryly. "Have the tension between Outlanders and Naturals eased at all? I've only heard people talk about the Fiat Lux and the Temple so far, it's overshadowed everything else."

Finishing off the food, she pushed the crumbles into a neat pile on the plate. Thinking about what normalcy might entail for her, she nodded quietly. Jigano would be the best person to talk to about work, about something to do. But there was one pressing matter than she wasn't sure he could help with, and... well, it was a fundamental one.

"I'll do that. But... right now, I have nowhere to stay. My farm, it's... been uninhabited for all this time. The house is ruined." It hurt to say it, and hurt even more when she added, "I don't think I can rebuild it. That I even want to... but without the income from the farm, I have nothing. No funds, no home, no... purpose."

Shrugging helplessly she looked up at Rexanna. Was a Loreseeker position enough to put food on her table? Was it enough to give her an actual table to put anything on? At this moment, the only things Maea owned were the clothes on her back and what few things she would be able to scavange from the ruins of her home. It wasn't something she felt she could go to her Provost with. Loreseekers should be strong and capable, right? Look after themselves so they could help others.

Rexanna De Rosieres
the Penumbra

Change author:
holy enough to save you
At Maea’s dry comment, Rexanna can’t help the slight curve of her lip – almost sad, almost… well, something. “It’s basically a food chain in the end.” She shrugs her shoulders, gaze lifting to Maea once more. “It was… Tentative before the fall of the barrier. But once it fell, everything went back to normal for the most part. There was another small uprising with Zariah as Queen, about Outlanders putting themselves on the throne and making them do things.” She distinctly recalls Emmett’s voice ringing out above the crowd – ’you ain’t my ma’ – how it was true. But Zariah had been imposing, asking too much of everyone, trying to rope everyone into a tight line that just… Didn’t work.

All the rest of the rulers so far? All of them but Wessex had been Outlanders. “But once Zariah disappeared and Edrei and Wessex and Jigano became the rulers and it started to shift, well, it dropped off a bit.” She muses. “LongNight this past year was… Difficult. Wessex worked hard to keep people safe, but there’s only so much you can do.” She frowns somewhat at that. “I went out to help Remi and Samuel try to learn more about the creatures, and well… Sam lost a few of his fingers, and I lost my eyesight and was impaled.” A brief pause as she points to her chest, where the starburst scar remains – where Deimos had pulled the metal from her chest. “Remi was hurt badly too. But we were all recovering from that, Wessex held her meeting of whether she should stay Queen, and then they promoted me while I was still blind. I’ve just recently got my eyes back.” She shrugs her shoulders again.

And then Fiat Lux and the Temple. It’s been a difficult year so far.” She agrees quietly. But she pauses when Maea comments that she’ll go see Jigano, but currently she has no place to stay and the farm is uninhabited – something Rexanna frowns to. “If you had help could you rebuild it? Maybe turn it into something else?” She muses quietly, head tilting to the side, her dark hair falling over her shoulder and her brand. “You know, since the barrier has lifted, many have been bartering stories and tales of their travels in exchange for things.. And I’m sure Jigano and Rory might be able to help you get back on your feet?” She offers the other woman a small smile. While her and Jigano haven’t had the best of relationships, well, she’s still sure the bard will be able to help the fellow Loreseeker, without questions asked.
REXANNA