bottom of the deep blue sea
Phoebe!
Sunjata Wrenzaok
the Flood
Archon of King's End

Age: 34 | Height: 6'5 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: King's End
Level: 15 - Strg: 76 - Dext: 73 - Endr: 75 - Luck: 79 - Int: 3
PETRONELLA - Mythical - Sea Panther
Played by: Skylark Offline
Change author:
MP: 2712
you should know, that i'm a ticking time bomb
and you're getting close
He’s realized in the days since the Fiat Lux incident, with the heat of LongHeat tanning his skin and bringing his freckles out further and further, that he can’t seem to shift completely back into himself. The horns still grace his crown ever since the day after, and whether it’s because of permanent anxieties or uncertainties, he doesn’t know. What he does know, is that the boys that had also perished during the Fiat Lux festival, when they hadn’t been strong enough to stop the memory mud creature from its barrage.

And he hasn’t seen Phoebe since that day, either.

Fiddling with his golden earring as he walks, he listens to the sounds of the street as he makes his way to the midwife clinic — wearing not more than a sleeveless shirt and some pants to try and keep the heat of the day from being overwhelming. Upon reaching the door, he opens it and slips in as the bell signifies his arrival. “Phoebe?” He calls out quietly, unsure where she might be.
so better watch your step, because i'm about to blow
and where the pieces land i guess we'll never know
SuNJATA
No permission needed for power play!
Feel free to use magic/force on Sunjata, without killing him <3
Sunjata speaks with an Australian accent and has a passive magic that makes him produce a subtle scent that matches exactly to whatever those around him most desire him to smell like.
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Age: 26 | Height: 5'9" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Greatwood
Level: 5 - Strg: 32 - Dext: 46 - Endr: 41 - Luck: 41 - Int:
PIM - Mythical - Dragon (Electricity) BRANBAST - Mythical - Sear Cat (Speech)
Played by: Grant Offline
Change author:
MP: 1825
Phoebe
I know I am good at something, I just haven't found it yet
Phoebe had been scarce since the disaster that had been Fiat Lux mainly because Grant is awful. While grief was an old friend by now, this time it laid heavy on her shoulders in an unfamiliar way. She was not weepy. She did not feel despair. She was not drowning even, as Pim once upon a time put it. She simply was. Emotionless almost. The narrator would have used the word depressed, but it wasn’t something that had occurred to Phoebe yet. The midwife had simply given in, and accepted the melancholy melody that was the soundtrack to her insignificant life.

When Jata entered, she was at her worktable, prepping various remedies – mostly poultices and creams for those who had suffered injuries at the festival. The blonde glanced up at him as the bell rang, smiling at him though her honeyed gaze was hollow at best. ”Hello, Jata. Do you need some medicine?” she asked, then tilted her head as she noticed his additions. ”Well, that is certainly a look you’re sporting.” she added with a light laugh, which too lacked the mirth he would be more familiar with.
Sunjata Wrenzaok
the Flood
Archon of King's End

Age: 34 | Height: 6'5 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: King's End
Change author:
and you're getting close
He spots her the moment that her voice pipes up, and his head tilts toward her – a smile that he can tell is placed, not true, and he can’t help the abrupt swallow he does as he focuses on her question. “No, I’m okay.” He tells her, absently rubbing at his wrist with the bite marks where Nate had done his own checkup. He nears her after, though, coming to stand or sit on the other side of the work table as she comments on his additions. “Ah, yeah, they haven’t quite gone away.” Broad shoulders rise and fall in a shrug.

But then, he pauses, looking her over with his own steeled gaze. “I came to see how you were doing… I heard what happened.” He frowns then, gaze lingering on her as he absentmindedly reaches to rub at the back of his neck – his thumb rubbing against one of the compasses.
SuNJATA
Sunjata speaks with an Australian accent and has a passive magic that makes him produce a subtle scent that matches exactly to whatever those around him most desire him to smell like.
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Age: 26 | Height: 5'9" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Greatwood
Change author:
Phoebe
Phoebe didn’t say much in response to the idle prattle and greeting that followed. There was no point really. Why maintain conversation when it was clearly not his intent? Instead her eyes fell back to her work, aware of his presence looming next to her, but paying him little mind. The medicines she was prepping required her attention, and she was more than comfortable enough with him around.

His question and reason for coming were not all that surprising either. That was all anyone wanted to come by for – to hear about her latest travesty. But unlike her usual reaction of tearing up and struggling to get through words and explanations and flawed logic for the purpose of the death of her nephews, she simply shrugged, expressionless and dry eyed. ”I am alive. What else is there to say about it?” she said quietly, scooping a cream from her bowl and portioning it into small jars with clearly written labels.
Sunjata Wrenzaok
the Flood
Archon of King's End

Change author:
and you're getting close
Well, this was certainly different than what he was used to from her. And he frowns slightly, gaze lingering on her as she continues to work, voice steady if not hollow from the recent events. Perhaps it frustrates him that she doesn’t give into the rage and anger as before – that she’s… emotionless, as though she’s alive and breathing yet gone within. He rubs at his neck once more before his hands lower and he nods, pulling up a chair to sit beside her at her work table as he eyes the jars she works with.

I’m sorry I couldn’t do more.” He offers. But he had charged head first toward the monster with the intent to swipe and slice, claw and tear – only to be swallowed up by it, to be crushed and suffocated among the churning mud and debris the monster had picked up along the way. And only as the creature finally came to a stop was he able to get free. Perhaps him being within it had given it more power to attack the Festival, perhaps not. There was no way of knowing. That soldier mind of his taking it as the fault for what it was. His, for not being good enough, not being quick enough. "Can I do anything for you?" He asks after a moment of consideration, wanting to do something to help.
SuNJATA
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
Phoebe
”Don’t apologize. You did more than I did.” she said with a bit of a shrug. She had called Frey, and landed two measly blows with the dagger he had given her. But everything else had fallen short. All her flailing had been useless. At least by being inside the creature, Jata had managed to damage it somewhat. She would have been better off at the festival, protecting the boys, ferrying them away from the wall that she was certain they had ventured near to investigate. Instead they had been crushed to death, alongside many others because she joined a fight she should never have gone near.

Her head shook slowly at his question though. It was the question she hated most. What could he do? Nothing. He couldn’t raise them from the dead. He couldn’t turn back time so she could save them. There was no earthly or divine solace that could soothe this ache. They were both two mortals, subject to the whim of destiny, powerless to act against it. That hers was a sad one was neither here nor there. ”There is nothing to be done, Jata. It is what it is and only I can deal with it.” she said quietly. ”I appreciate your concern though.”
Sunjata Wrenzaok
the Flood
Archon of King's End

Change author:
and you're getting close
She tells him not to apologize, and he bites down on the inside of his cheek in slight response. He didn’t feel like he did a lot – felt like he did hardly anything other than drown and drown and drown. Perhaps their roles are reversed now, because despite the cold indifference, emotionless feeling that he gets from her, all he can think of is how she might be drowning within the overwhelming feeling of loss on her end.

And when he offers to help, somehow, someway, it’s denied too. And he exhales quietly, giving a small snort nod of his horned head, before he reaches for her hand to hold, to squeeze. “But how are you dealing with it?” He asks her, voice quiet and thickly accented, steel gaze scanning her face. ‘Give me something, anything but this.’ Wanting something more than just… This hollow shell she’s become when he’d once been able to see her so bright, so vibrant.
SuNJATA
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
Phoebe
The touch on her hand came as a surprise, though she did not startle. She simply glanced up, brown eyes wide but empty. Her fingers did not even curl around his in response. She might look like Phoebe, sound like Phoebe, but the woman before him was certainly not the optimistic midwife he had known – nor even the one he had once loved. To lose so much in such short a time, both in number of people and depth of emotion felt for them, had broken something. The steel of her spine had snapped, and in an effort to protect itself, her mind simply stopped.

Sure she lived, but she was not living. She was only human after all, and even she had her limits.

”By accepting that this is my reality. That all I love and cherish is destined to leave me either by choice or death come too soon.” she said softly, another hollow smile curving her lips. ”What other way is there to deal with it? To cry? To scream? Curse the heavens? For what purpose? It heals nothing. It brings back no one. It does not change that which has come to pass. Loneliness and sorrow are clearly what I am destined for, and so I have made them my friends.” she said quietly, tone on the verge of content.
Sunjata Wrenzaok
the Flood
Archon of King's End

Change author:
and you're getting close
Well, it was something. And that was all he subtly asked for, wasn’t it? Something other than the hollowness – but he doesn’t expect the explanation, that while her hand doesn’t curl around his like it once might have, he tries to squeeze a bit more to elicit some sort of reaction. And he manages his own small, hollow smile back to her before he shakes his head, looking away. “Gods, you sound just like me now.” He half attempts to joke. It’s like looking into a mirror. Only where he coped in certain ways, she was still figuring out her own ways.

But his gaze returns to her then, wondering if perhaps she can understand the way he pushed everyone away – because of this, because of it always happening where he was involved. Perhaps she’ll understand now too. “Sometimes screaming and yelling help put a bandage on it for a moment.” He rumbles with a small shrug, before trying to pull her closer to him. “Not enough to forget, but… Enough that it dulls it for a time.” He tries to scan her face, tries to see something other than that sorrowed loneliness.
SuNJATA
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
Phoebe
”That’s not entirely true.” she said quietly, pulling her hand away from his even as he tried to squeeze it so she could continue her work. ”I am not pushing you or anyone else away. I’m just not going to expect anything more than what I have gotten.” she said quietly. Then she fell silent, carefully portioning new ingredients into her bowl to prepare another batch of medicinal creams.

Her head shook again as he went on about screaming and yelling and the benefits thereof. They didn’t help. Not her anyways. They only made her feel worse. And in her face he would see no change. Her body was going through the motions, her mind pulled far and away from the reality that tormented her so.
Sunjata Wrenzaok
the Flood
Archon of King's End

Change author:
and you're getting close
She pulls her hand from his, and he uses that hand to run through his hair, snagging on the edge of one of the horns as he sighs. “I do it because of this though.” He explains offhandedly, frowning as she returns to her work. And when he lists out the reasons why it might help, why it might elicit some sort of response, something other than hollowness and emptiness, she only merely shakes her head. She doesn’t look at him, and he wants her to. Wants her to show him something other than this.

He doesn’t know how to get it out of her though.

Instead, Sunjata remains silent while she portions out the ingredients, biting down on the inside of his cheek once more, jaw clenching slightly as he tries to figure out how to get something. “Phoebe.” He begins, hoping it might capture her gaze. “Please, just… let me do something for you. Whatever you want.” It’s reminiscent of when they had argued after Lusea had died – how she had gotten under his skin and garnered the flood waters beneath his skin, to give him a feeling other than the emptiness he had.
SuNJATA
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
Phoebe
Phoebe simply shrugged at his response. She knew this was why he did it. It didn’t make her any more or less like him though. Being this way did not give her greater empathy than she had before. That much hadn’t changed, there was simply…less of her.

At the sound of her name she looked over at him, face as blank as it had been before. His offer – whatever she wanted – rang hollow in her ears. It was a poorly constructed offer, one built from the need to soothe his own insecurity over how she was at present – that she was not as bright as he remembered her. And so she sought to test him instead. ”Since you’re offering to do whatever I want, then marry me.” she said softly, already anticipating the direction this would go.
Sunjata Wrenzaok
the Flood
Archon of King's End

Change author:
and you're getting close
She looks to him, hollow sad eyes, wanting to do something to help get some sort of reaction out of her. And he offers to do whatever she wants, not realizing where it could head, where it could go – not thinking that despite the loss she’s inflicted by, that she might be willing to try and test him. His steel eyes linger along her face, and her question is granted. He should not be surprised, and yet he still is. Somehow, someway.

But if that’s how she wants to play it, at least it’s a response.

He looks away from her then, jaw clenching slightly before a huff leaves him, though whether it’s amusement or disbelief is unclear. “Marry you?” He asks, as if he hasn’t quite heard her correctly, despite being able to. He tilts his horned head back to her, steel eyes shadowed much like hers. “Fine.” He agrees quietly. “But I already know that’s not what you really want.Unconditional love, children, to be around all the time. He knows it’s not. Because he’s not the same as he once was. He’s changed, and with the loss of Lusea and Phoebe’s own losses, it wouldn’t be a marriage of happiness, what might have once been, what she’d want.

He already knows how aloof he would become with it, with his duties as guildmaster. With his life spent searching for the oceans, away, hoping to search for portals... What kind of marriage would it even be except in name?
SuNJATA
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
Phoebe
”Fine.” Well. If that wasn’t the plot twist of the season.

Phoebe stared at him, unmoving, unblinking, still emotionless and sad as before. This had not been what she had expected, having anticipated the string of reasons and excuses that he was usually prone to. But not this time. No, this time he played along, as if matching her own underlying spite and hurt would somehow bring her back to herself. ”Getting married is something I’ve always wanted, you know that.” she said quietly, shoulders shrugging as she held his gaze. To him though? Once upon a time maybe. ”You are the one who never wanted to get married. Why offer me anything when you know what I want will make you miserable?” she asked, only half interested in the answer as she looked back at her hands.

But really, did she deserve more? Mother of five dead children, surrounded by loss and sorrow, heartbreak after heartbreak – dreams and love were not in her future any more than they had been in her past. She might be unhappy married to Jata, and he unhappy married to her…but at least she would not be alone.