A few marbles short
Maea Valair
Hollowed Grounds Ambassador / Loreseeker

Age: 29 | Height: 156 cm / 5'1 ft | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 4 - Strg: 22 - Dext: 22 - Endr: 25 - Luck: 21 - Int:
Played by: Chan Offline
Change author:
MP: 1917
M
 A
  E
   A
I talked to God to no avail

Said, "If you won't save me, please don't waste my time."

There were places one just didn't go to in the Hollowed Ground. Places parents talked about in hushed whispers, that were used to scare children into obedience and left them full of terrible curiosity. Sooner or later, one or two in every generation had always gathered up their courage to explore those forbidden ares, because that's what young people do. Defy authority, test their limits against the world. Explore.

Most of them never made it back. The ones who did, became parents and passed on their tales of horror to the next generation.

Maea had never been among those who defied the cautionary tales to see what lay beyond. She had been busy trying to stay alive most of her childhood, and once the teenage years began, her energy had gone towards keeping up with the work on the family farm. Very little had been more important than to earn her keep, and in burying herself in chores she had ignored dangerous temptations like boys, spirits and adventure.

Lately though... things had changed. Not only had her main focus disappeared, with the death of first her family and now her farm, but other influences had begun to prod her. Pull her. Tug her in new directions. Challenging her to open her mind, broaden her views. Risk a little, to gain something. But... as Maea stood by the entrance of the Labyrinth, she wondered if perhaps this was taking things a bit too far. One would think that she'd gotten enough of a taste of danger with her foolish dive into the Spire. People had died there, and she had stained her hands with blood, and the nightmares that still haunted her were nothing to scoff at.

Yet the nagging words of a smirking ascended had implied that she had a long way to go before she could call herself brave, or open-minded, or any kind of strong. It vexed her to admit it, but Amun had been right. About most of the things. Perhaps all of them. And maybe this wasn't the best way to challenge those flaws, but... it was honestly the only thing Maea could think of that was different enough from what she would usually do.

So. Here she was.

"Pobably going to regret this" she muttered to herself, and moved in through the opening between the hedges. The light of the sun overhead did little to brighten the atmosphere. Somehow the shadows extending from gnarled trees and wild-grown shrubbery still managed to feel dank and gloomy even though birds had been chirping incessantly behind her. But ahead it was quiet.

For now.

---

Evie in case you wanted to join ^^

♦ Violence, magic, thievery is permitted with Maea at all times. DM me if you have any ideas ♦
the Firebrand
Headmaster / Grand Healer

Age: 29 | Height: 5' 11' | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 11 - Strg: 32 - Dext: 33 - Endr: 35 - Luck: 39 - Int:
ASTRA - Mythical - Luxere
Played by: Crooked Offline
Change author:
MP: 3415
whatever comes, let it come
what stays, let it stay
Recently, Loren's healing magic hadn't come as easily to him as it had in the past. He tried not to worry too much about the implications of that fact. Instead, he stuffed his worries in the dark pit he'd uncovered in his mind, the one where all his pain and torment had resided before he'd allowed himself to let joy have a chance.

And now that joy had been beaten out of him by the tragedies of life

Still, others needed healing, healing he could no longer provide. So he headed towards the Labyrinth, an empty pack on his back. At his hip, he sported a dagger, and on his face he wore a neutral, but determined mask. Ahead of him, he saw a pale skinned and white-haired woman enter the Labyrinth, one that was unfamiliar to him. Frowning, he picked up his pace so that he could catch up with her.

Parting the hedges before him, he soon spotted the stranger. "Are you alright, miss?" The Launceleyn's tone was polite, the very picture of nobility.

Who cared if it was faked, as only he knew how.
what goes, let go
LOREN
Maea Valair

Age: 29 | Height: 156 cm / 5'1 ft | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
M
 A
  E
   A

Maea jumped a little, as the voice came to her from behind. She'd not expected company beyond the uncanny sort, so when she turned to look at the man who'd hurried up to her side the smile she gave him was faint, and somewhat bemused.

"Yes, quite alright" she replied. "So far, at least. I suppose it's a question best saved for later though, considering where I'm headed." She indicated the snarly brambles and gnarled trees up ahead. She kept her pace up, not pausing to talk - she wasn't sure she could bring herself to continue if she did. Maea did throw a curious glance at the stranger however. His was not a face she had seen before, and that was rather unusual. Even after the increased onslaught of outlanders and the barrier falling, her mind was stuck in the time where the Grounds were isolated and everyone knew everyone else, if not by face or name then by rumor.

"I don't think we've met... I'm Maea." Glancing down to his pack, and the very sensible dagger she'd not remembered to bring. Oops. "You've business in here?"

♦ Violence, magic, thievery is permitted with Maea at all times. DM me if you have any ideas ♦
the Firebrand

Age: 29 | Height: 5' 11' | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:
what stays, let it stay
At the woman's jump, and her bemused look, Loren gave an apologetic smile in response. "Sorry. Didn't mean to startle you." He lifted his pack higher on his shoulders, though it was habit rather than discomfort. He glanced at her before returning his gaze to the hedge-lined path as he matched her pace. "The Labyrinth is dangerous, yes, though less so if you're unprepared or unaware of its dangers."

He paused to give her a cursory once over, noting her lack of weapons. "But I've been in here before, so if you don't mind some company I'd be glad to walk with you." This time, his smile was faint, but genuine.

Holding out his hand for her to shake, he nodded. "We have not. I'm Loren. It's nice to meet you." At her question, he bit his lip and glanced away. "I'm looking for an herb." Voice quiet, he studied the nearest hedge rather than looking at her. "What brings you here today?"
what goes, let go
LOREN
Maea Valair

Change author:
M
 A
  E
   A

She didn't miss the look, the way he searched for signs of her preparedness and found none. It made her cringe a little, realizing how stupid it was of her to charge headlong into this. But he didn't comment, and Maea said nothing, only took his offered hand to shake and thought about the offer of company.

In some ways, it defeated the point of this excursion. She was supposed to prove that she could look after herself, that she was strong enough to deal with things on her own. Brave enough to face her fears and return a better person. But... did being brave also mean she shouldn't accept help when offered? That sounded more like stupidity, something she definitely wanted to avoid.

"I don't mind company, she eventually said, and matched her pace to his. "What kind of herb is it? I can help you look." Her gaze eventually turned away from him and to the surroundings. The wild hedge, the weed-choked path, the sky overhead where the brilliant LongHeat sun was all but blocked out by towering trees. She was glad of it, as it meant she didn't have to cover her head to spare herself from sunburn.

"Me? Hmm. Pride, I suppose. I wanted to do something I thought I'd never do... It sounds silly now that I say it out loud." A touch of color crept over her features, more dramatic in such a pale face than it ought to have been.

the Firebrand

Change author:
what stays, let it stay
Nodding in response to Maea's agreement, Loren kept walking, eyes peeled for any sign of a squirrel. Or a boggart, though he imagined he wouldn't see that one coming. "It's called the Efas herb. It has medicinal properties." The summoner's voice was quiet, pitched just loud enough for her to hear.

He was silent for a long moment after she spoke. "It doesn't sound silly at all." Glancing over at the woman, he smiled faintly, though it didn't reach his eyes. "Did you want to prove to yourself that you could be brave? That you weren't ruled by your fear?" His tone was still soft, but there was something a little sad in the words.
what goes, let go
LOREN
Maea Valair

Change author:
M
 A
  E
   A

Nodding, she didn't ask anymore. She knew the name of the plant, if not what it looked like, or what it was for, but supposed she'd just see what he picked and look for the same thing. She knew the taste of most the efficacious plants from painful experience, but nibbling the tangled herbs along the path was probably not the best way to find the right one.

"That one's a bit rare, isn't it?" she commented. "I remember the healer who came to my house used to complain about there never being enough of it."

She had not expected to be taken so seriously. Most people would probably have agreed that it was a ridiculous thing - to risk herself just to prove something - but Loren did not. Her head cocked curiously as she looked over at him, noting the lackluster tone and the dull eyes.

"Yes... something like that. Why, have you done the same?" She found it a bit hard to believe. At first glance he looked wholesome, calm, capable... not someone who'd be haunted by personal failures. But that just went to show, didn't it, that you shouldn't judge by appearance. In the end, everyone had their own ghosts, and their own battles to fight.

the Firebrand

Change author:
what stays, let it stay
Loren nodded at her question. "It is. And rather unassuming, with green blades studded with brown. I came out here with a friend recently, however, to encourage their growth. Hopefully they're ready to be harvested." Sighing, he ran a hand through his hair. "And hopefully we can find them." The words were soft.

Reaching a fork, he glanced down both paths, before taking the right one. At her question, he paused for a brief moment before resuming his walk through the Labyrinth. ”Felt a driving need to prove myself for no particular reason beyond my own perceived lack of self-worth and as a result acted recklessly? Yes. Yes I have. Too many times to count.” Again, his voice was quiet, and his eyes were distant.
what goes, let go
LOREN
Maea Valair

Change author:
M
 A
  E
   A

"Ouch! Touché, good sir." Maea actually laughed, a soft chuckle that was quickly swallowed by the air. "Good to know I'm not the only one with these notions. I trust you'll be able to tell me when things go beyond what's reasonable, then. To be honest, I've never been in here before. Don't know what to expect, beyond the horror stories I was told as a child."

Going by the description he offered, she started to search the ground for the plant, raking her eyes across the path in sweeping lines. She too kept her voice quiet. There was something in the air that suggested it was unwise to make loud noises, or draw too much attention to yourself. It was rather comforting to have someone to talk to, however, so she caved to that small temptation, and kept the conversation running as they went.

"Who are the herbs for?" Leaning down to take a closer look at something that looked like it might be the right thing, she found it was only a twig. Hurrying her steps to catch up again, she looked to Loren, expression one of bland curiosity; she wouldn't pry if it was sensitive or secret.

the Firebrand

Change author:
what stays, let it stay
Maea's laughter didn't draw a similar response from Loren. Instead, his neutral mask remained in place. "I'll let you know." As they turned a corner, he scanned the ground for any sign of the herb, but didn't see any. However, they were still far from the center, as evidence by the fact that they could see the sky.

"As for dangers, I'm not sure what you heard, but the last time I was here, my friend and I were attacked by the hedges and the squirrels. Managed to make it out, though. He also told me that there were boggarts, and that he'd encountered one in the past, but thankfully we didn't see any." Glancing at the pale woman, he searched her features for any signs of fear.

He ducked under and away from a branch that was suspiciously low. ”No one in particular. There are many injured still, and too few healers.” Then, however, he hesitated. ”Well. There is one person. My friend Amalia was injured badly when the Temple fell. I was...I hoped that the herb might help, somehow.” His voice was filled with a quiet concern.
what goes, let go
LOREN
Maea Valair

Change author:
M
 A
  E
   A

Attacked by squirrels? It sounded almost cute. And he said it so matter-of-fact that Maea wasn't sure if he was serious or not. But the part about moving hedges and boggarts... yes, that fit well into the descriptions she had heard. Her lips tensed as she looked around, eyes darting to and fro as she scanned the surroundings. She wasn't scared, not really, but the tension was there. Readiness, she preferred to think of it as, to react if something should happen.

"I should probably say I hope we don't run into anything like that," she mumbled, "but truth be told... I'd be disappointed if nothing happened. Now that I'm ready to face... it. Things." The unknown.

And that's where there real terror lay for her. To not know. To head toward something she couldn't predict, couldn't really prepare for and were not equipped to handle. How was she to know whether a knife would be useful or not? What if her magic was proven useless, if her legs weren't fast enough to run away when it mattered? Perhaps it would turn out a test of wits, and her second-hand knowledge of so few things ended up costing her... and now Loren too? And what if...

Fortunately her racing thoughts were interrupted by her impromptu adventure companion, and a very familiar name. Amalia. She almost wanted to sigh. Of course it was only proper to be concerned for the baker, but old habits died hard and it was difficult not to let her hackles rise at the mention of the name. Sweet, perfect Amalia, who had so many talents, friends everywhere and the favor of the gods like a cherry on top. Everything Maea wanted, everything she didn't get. Of course someone would go pick herbs for her.

"I know her. We played together as kids," she said, with as neutral a tone as she could manage. "I hope she will get better soon. I'm sure the gods will aid her, if mortal medicine fails."

the Firebrand

Change author:
what stays, let it stay
Before Loren could respond to Maea, a call of “Follow me!” came from what sounded like a path on the other side of the hedge. Or maybe the hedge itself. Sighing, he unsheathed his knife. ”Don't worry. I'm certain you'll get your wish. Also, ignore the calls." His eyes scanned the hedges around them, until he finally spotted the furry head of a Speaking Squirrel on top of one.

So he summoned a hawk to swoop down towards the rodent. It chittered in outrage, but fled with another cry of "Follow me!" Dismissing his hawk, he picked up the pace, taking a path that led to their left. The hedges were getting closer together, and he glared at them.

When his companion spoke of Amalia, however, the summoner glanced at the pale woman. ”I doubt it. Considering she failed to protect their Temple.” The Launceleyn studied Maea's expression. "Everything alright?"
what goes, let go
LOREN
Maea Valair

Change author:
M
 A
  E
   A

Whipping her head around to see where the call had come from, Maea barely had time to see the squirrel before it was scared off by a hawk. Really? From nowhere? Which then disappeared into thin air again? It reeked of magic, and she fixed narrowed eyes on Loren as he drew his dagger.

"Neat trick" she said, breath coming just a bit quicker. She had not reacted quickly enough to even do anything, and there he was, calm as a magna vermis by a puddle. "Tell me again about the things you did to challenge yourself? I might want lessons."

Trying to memorize the path they took, for each turn Maea kept just little bit closer to Loren. The added excitement around them made it harder for her to keep a level face when talking about Amalia, and a tone of old bitterness crept into her voice as she shrugged and replied.

"Oh, I doubt they will hold that against her. She tried, at least. It's all she usually have to do to get her dreams come true." Keeping her eyes out for more squirrels, Maea gestured with her hands, emphasizing a pent up frustration that went years back. "Don't get me wrong, I really am sorry she got hurt, but Amalia usually comes down with her feet first. She's always been the lucky one."

the Firebrand

Change author:
what stays, let it stay
At Maea’s compliment, Loren glanced over at her. ”Something like that.” He returned his attention to her surroundings, not responding to her for a long while. When he finally did, his voice was soft. ”I got hurt. And I hurt a lot of other people in the process.” Hearing rustling in the hedges, he glanced over at them, but for now the Speaking Squirrels or whatever was watching them wasn't making itself visible.

He took another left turn, but it ended in a dead end. Sighing, he reversed direction and took the right fork instead. However, something seemed different about the path, but that might've just been his paranoia rearing its ugly head. "So is there bad blood between you, or are you just jealous?" The question came out in a conversational tone, but his eyes were sharp.
what goes, let go
LOREN