A few marbles short
Maea Valair
Hollowed Grounds Ambassador / Loreseeker

Age: 29 | Height: 156 cm / 5'1 ft | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 4 - Strg: 22 - Dext: 22 - Endr: 25 - Luck: 21 - Int:
Played by: Chan Offline
Change author:
MP: 1917
M
 A
  E
   A
I talked to God to no avail

Said, "If you won't save me, please don't waste my time."

Wow. Someone was getting grumpy. Or perhaps she was just asking about the wrong questions. Maea regarded Loren from the corner of her eyes, but didn't reply, sensing that it might be best not to prod too deeply. She did note that she probably shouldn't follow his example to the letter, if others had been injured due to him... but perhaps that was a bit late now. Granted, he had been the one to offer her company. And he seemed more than capable of looking after himself. But if he did get hurt? It would be her fault.

Frowning slightly at the path when they returned from the fork, Maea looked at the hedges, the ground, the place where the hawk had pounced on the squirrel. Or should have. She couldn't seem to find it, that branch in the shrubbery that had bent just so.

"Does this look different to you?" she asked him, and glanced over the shoulder as they continued up the new path. "I could have sworn the hedges curved the other way before. Is it my imagination?"

Nerves tensing, she leaned down again, this time to pick up a handful of rocks. It was not the best of weapons, but it was something at least. She didn't want to be completely defenseless in case more of those squirrels came back. Suddenly it didn't sound so cute to be attacked by them, with their ghostly voices calling her to follow.

"I suppose it's a bit of both" she admitted, returning to the subject of Amalia. "I always wanted to be her friend, but I guess we just don't have the chemistry. There's other things too, old grudges... It's not that I don't want to like her, it's just... She shrugged. "Being around her reminds me of everything I'm not."

Looking at Loren, the smile she offered was equal parts bitter and sweet and somehow made her look older. Weary. "You can hold it against me, it's alright. Most people do."

♦ Violence, magic, thievery is permitted with Maea at all times. DM me if you have any ideas ♦
the Firebrand
Headmaster / Grand Healer

Age: 29 | Height: 5' 11' | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 11 - Strg: 32 - Dext: 33 - Endr: 35 - Luck: 39 - Int:
ASTRA - Mythical - Luxere
Played by: Crooked Offline
Change author:
MP: 3415
whatever comes, let it come
what stays, let it stay
At Maea’s question, Loren glanced at the branch in question. Before he could answer, a squirrel popped up on the hedge they were staring at. "No!"

Grimacing, the summoner shook his head. ”Not your imagination. The Labyrinth moves.” His hands and grip tightened on his blade. As she bent down to pick up some stones, his eyes flicked to her, but he said nothing. He simply moved closer as the hedges narrowed further. Above them, the sliver of sky grew smaller and smaller.

After she finished her explanation, he was quiet for a long while. When he finally spoke, his voice was low. However, there was a dark quality to it, one that was mirrored in his eyes. "That would require me to care. And frankly, given everything else going on, I don't really have time for petty childhood grudges. My own or other peoples'." He stalked forward, taking them through an opening on the hedges that made up the right side of the path.

Thankfully, on the other side they stumbled upon a patch of Efas herb. Kneeling, he cut off some of the plant, tucking it into his pack. However, he kept his eyes trained on their surroundings. They tightened as furry heads poked their way out of the hedges. The squirrels' eyes glittered as they watched the intruders.
what goes, let go
LOREN
Maea Valair

Age: 29 | Height: 156 cm / 5'1 ft | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
M
 A
  E
   A

Pale brows rose over widening eyes that mirrored the green hues surrounding them. What was going on with this man? First he seemed ready to leap into the defense of his friend, and then he went cold, dark, cold smoke rising from a lantern blown out by the wind. There was something very off about it, that made her worry.

"Is it really that petty if it still makes you hurt?" she asked mildly. Keeping an eye on the squirrels while Loren went for the plant, she considered the moving hedges, the flatness of his voice, how his name snagged on something at the back of her mind, something important she ought to remember. Something Jigano had said...

And then, with a soft intake of breath, she understood. Or thought she did. Turning her attention fully on Loren, the short pale girl blurted out "You were at the festival! You fought the monster, didn't you..?" and just as quickly clapped her hands over her own mouth.

Horrified, that she'd not realized it sooner. Mortified, that she'd plumped right into a subject that no doubt would be extremely sensitive right now. 'Gotten people killed' indeed... if one could ever summarize a situation in so few words, when it never was that simple.

♦ Violence, magic, thievery is permitted with Maea at all times. DM me if you have any ideas ♦
the Firebrand

Age: 29 | Height: 5' 11' | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:
what stays, let it stay
Maea's question caused Loren to stare at her. Then his eyes narrowed, his expression revealing little of how he felt. "It is if it's not the person's fault that you're hurting." While his features were neutral, his tone was more than a bit unimpressed.

As she finally realized who he was and why he might be upset, his jaw tightened. "I tried." His voice came out in the barest of whispers. For a moment, his gaze was distant, and his eyes were haunted.

Then he shook his head and stood up. "Come on. Let's get out of here." Of course, the squirrels chose that moment to attack. Thorns began raining down at them from the hedges, more annoyance than danger at the moment.

But that could change swiftly in here.

Growling with annoyance, the summoner tapped into his magic once more. A wolf appeared at his side, and howled at the sky. The sudden shocking appearance of it was enough to scatter the rodents for a moment. Their cries of "Yes," "No," and "Follow Me!" receded into the distance. "That won't scare them for long." With that he turned and began jogging swiftly away from the patch of herbs, aiming for the entrance they'd used.

An entrance that was slowly shivering shut as the Labyrinth tried to block their escape.
what goes, let go
LOREN
Maea Valair

Change author:
M
 A
  E
   A

She didn't reply. Partly because, what difference would it make? and partly beause that's when the squirrels finally decided to stop watching and start attacking. Hissing with annoyance Maea raised her arms up to shield her face from the thorns, the stones still clutched firmly in her hands. She saw the wolf appear, scaring the chattering little pests off in all directions, and nearly felt like running herself before she realized it was Loren who'd made it appear. Sweet mercy of Mort, the thing was huge!

Fast on the fellow Loreseekers heels as he made to leave, Maea's eyes kept darting about them for other signs of danger. Her mouth had gone dry, heart racing, and she sucked in a startled breath when the bushes ahead began to move.

"It's closing on us!" she exclaimed, stating the obvious while picking up the pace into a dead run.

Now, the noble thing to do here would obviously be to make sure Loren was alright and keeping up. But with the realization that he'd fought the mud monster came the knowledge that she probably was in more danger than him, considering their compared experience, skill and general aptitude for fighting. So the best the small, pale, now quite frightened girl could do was honestly to make sure she didn't lag behind as she dashed for the opening, desperate to get through before it closed them in.

the Firebrand

Change author:
what stays, let it stay
Loren snarled. ”I can see that.” As Maea darted ahead, he dismissed his wolf. He just managed to get through the opening before it closed fully, though a vine ripped across his legs, the thorn drawing blood.

Ignoring the pain, he shrugged off his pack and bit down on it. Then he leapt into the air and shifted into a goose. Crashing through the canopy of hedges (losing both feathers and skin in the process), he took a quick scan of the Labyrinth. Then he crashed back through to the path below.

Shifting back, he stumbled for a few steps on the landing, though he caught himself before he fell. Spitting out the sack, he caught it in one hand. ”Take the next right, then go straight for a while.” His breath came out in a pant, and his body was covered in cuts both large and small. They oozed blood, leaving crimson droplets in his wake.
what goes, let go
LOREN
Maea Valair

Change author:
M
 A
  E
   A

Tangled branches snagged at her skirts, scratched red lines into her skin, not quite enough to draw blood but enough to make her wince as she cleared the brambles and stumbled out onto the path beyond. That's what a head start did for you. A little luck, a touch of hope, just to make the pain all the more severe later when it cut for real. Staggering onwards, she looked back to make sure Loren was there, and found... nothing. Chest squeezing painfully tight, Maea stared at the viciously lashing branches, the roots and leaves that closed shut behind her, and her companion was. not. there. and then he suddenly was, flapping back down and shifting back from his goose form.

Really? A goose? She'd have guessed at badger, considering his grumpiness, if she'd indeed thought he could shift at all. Apparently everyone and their grandmother was a god-blessed hybrid these days, and Maea was too relieved to see him to even feel pissy about it.

"So much for memorizing the way in," she grumbled, but made no move to continue. Over the rustle and groan of shifting hedges, she could hear distant chattering voices, calling "Yes!" and "No!" and "Follow me!" It made the hair at the back of her neck stand on edge, made her want to run blindly along. They were growing closer. But Loren was bleeding. His stumble made her automatically reach for him, to steady if he needed it, but he caught himself before she even came close and Maea let her hands fall uselessly to the sides.

"Is it bad? I can take a look..." Not that she knew anything about tending wounds, beyond stopping immediate bleeding. Not that she had anything to stop it with, except her torn skirts and hands that felt rather numb and clumsy. Where would she even begin?

the Firebrand

Change author:
what stays, let it stay
Loren let out an annoyed huff of air. ”I told you it moved. Didn't your stories prepare you for this?" There wasn't really any heat behind the words, given how much he was panting.

As Maea reached for him, he skidded to a halt. At her question, his eyes narrowed and he glanced down, noticing his injuries for the first time. A wave of sky blue light slid over him. The cuts were so minor that it took the barest thread of his power to seal them. He didn't bother to clean himself off just yet. "I'm good. Let's move." He gestured for her to get back to the tactical retreating.

At that, a squirrel popped over the hedge. "Yes!" It held a small bow in its hand, and before the summoner could react, it shot a thorn that pierced the back of his hand. He cursed, and levered up a nearby rock with his telekinesis, hurling it at the rodent, which scampered out of the way.
what goes, let go
LOREN
Maea Valair

Change author:
M
 A
  E
   A

"It's one thing to hear about it and a whole other to actually see it," she snapped back. "Told you, I've never been here before!" Nerves were fraying, tempers flaring, and as she pushed long tendrils of white hair out of her face, Maea knew she was regretting coming here. It now seemed a very foolish way of imposing change on herself. Sadly, it appeared she was one of those people who only realized that in hindsight, and it was already too late. All they could do now was fight their way back out of the Labyrinth, if only Loren was well enough to walk.

Worrying, however, proved quite wasted. The man was infuriatingly capableof taking care of himself. Not only did he know herbs and could summon animals, he was able to heal himself and use thought magic, Just like Maea. His rock, aimed at the squirrel, was quickly joined by a second one shot from her upheld palm. It struck the animal square in the chest with a sickening smack. Squeaking a sharp "No!" it crashed to the ground, then skittered off into the underbrush, dazed or dying - she didn't know.

Whirling around, Maea glared at Loren. "Stop making me feel so gods damned useless! Is there anything you can't do? Walk on water, sprout wings and fly? Oh wait, no, you did that already."

the Firebrand

Change author:
what stays, let it stay
Loren gritting his teeth at Maea’s response. Then the summoner forced himself to take a deep and steadying breath. ”Escape now, argue later.” He moved so that he could get past her.

However, before he could push ahead, they had to deal with the squirrel. And her sudden bout of pique. "Yeah. Bring people back from the dead, or prevent them from dying in the first place, apparently." There was a deep-seated fury underlaying the words, and beneath that, an even more deeply held self-hatred.

He squeezed his eyes shut. "And here I was just about to compliment you on your aim, considering that you're the one who actually hit the damn squirrel. But it's not my fault you feel bad about yourself. And we don't have time for this."

Opening his eyes, he stalked past her wordlessly. Then he began to lead them down the path he'd identified earlier, hoping it hadn't changed already. As he walked, he stayed alert for further attacks from either plants or animals. Apparently taking out a squirrel had momentarily deterred them.

But his luck never held for long.
what goes, let go
LOREN
Maea Valair

Change author:
M
 A
  E
   A

Escape now, argue later indeed. Except Maea was perfectly capable of doing both at the same time. His comment about bringing people back from the dead earned him an incredulous look as she hurried after down the path, to the right and then straight ahead as he'd said. Not for a moment did she question whether it really was the right way. His unspoken suggestion that he ought to be some kind of allmighty savior though? Oh boy.

"Who do you even think you are? Not even the gods can bring people back however they like. If no one else among all those who were at the Fiat Lux could stop that monster, then why should you be able to?" She brushed aside the backwards compliment, too caught up in her own temper to even notice it until much later. That her talking and arguing really was a way of handling the fear was also beyond her ken at the moment; all she knew was that it felt good, and that she couldn't stop.

"I do feel bad for myself, but to me it looks like you do too, and that's what gets me. Sure, you're good at a lot of things. You've got magic, power and knowledge but that doesn't make you perfect or infallibe. What do you want? To reverse floods, stop the sun in its track, prevent every natural catastrophe from ever happening?" Breathing hard, she dared a quick, furious glance at Loren. "Get over yourself."

Seeing movement at the corner of her eye, the girl spun around. Acting faster than her eyes could keep up, she lobbed another stone from her hand at something she thought was a squirrel. It smacked into wood with a sharp clack and riccocheted off into the thicket below. Maea swore and flushed, realizing it had just been a trick of the light, of branches moving in the faint breeze. She was growing irrational, not thinking straight. It was all coming to pieces, not at all how she had imagined her grand adventure.

the Firebrand

Change author:
what stays, let it stay
Although Loren knew better, he couldn’t help but roll his eyes at Maea’s response. ”You asked me for examples of things I couldn’t do. I gave them. Not my fault you didn’t like the answer.” His words came out in between pants, but even with that there was a great deal of incredulity in them, about as much as the look she'd turned on him if not more.

As he skidded around a corner, he ducked under a low-hanging branch. The crack of stone against wood drew his eyes instinctively. However, his training and prior experience took over. Turning back to the direction he'd just been facing, he flung out a hand.

Just in time too, as squirrels had poked their head out and were readying their thorns, taking advantage of the distraction of the unexpected sound. The wall of water he'd called up swept them out of the way. "Would be nice. You're right, though, I do feel bad about myself, because my best friends' children just died, among other casualties, because I couldn't protect them. Which is all I wanted. And then some of my friends went crazy, and then they disappeared. And one of my other friends is crippled, maybe for life, and my cousin has threatened to kill me. So I've got actual problems to deal with. He glared at her.

"I'm curious. What do you want? To be loved like Amalia? To be powerful like me? Because if you're looking for respect, you're going about it in the worst way possible." He shook his head. "Actually, don't answer that. Let's go." With that, he took off again, weaving through the dizzying paths of the Labyrinth. The hedges were thinning, and the sky was clearly visible overhead now.
what goes, let go
LOREN
Maea Valair

Change author:
M
 A
  E
   A

Heat flooded her chest, her face, her head when her mistake nearly cost them more than they could afford. Loren's flood of water saved them both, but Maea couldn't feel grateful for it - on the contrary, it just added to the sense of powerless frustration that always followed her around and now reared up its ugly head. His tirade struck her like a blow, drawing shame and pity from her as though it were blood - gods, that was a lot, and she had not know about any of it. His own family...

And the scathing words? Gritting her teeth and swallowing, Maea had no retort. Because in truth? She was still searching for an answer to all of that herself.

Plodding along in his wake, she kept her head down. The silence after so many heated words was a pained howl between them. What a way to make introductions. Why was it that she could only get on people's bad sides these days? First Amun, now Loren, and the gods only knew what her words had really done to Jigano.

"I just want to belong somewhere" came her quiet voice after a long time. It was thick, near breaking with raw emotion that she hated being unable to hide. "To not have to apologize or be a burden anymore. To not ever hear anyone say I'm 'just Maea' ever again. Is that so much to ask for?" Realizing she was near tears, Maea ground her jaws tightly together and breathed, a deep gulp of air that seared her throat.

What a pitiful display all around. Truly pathetic.

the Firebrand

Change author:
what stays, let it stay
As Maea fell silent, Loren focused on his breathing. He took deep breaths in through his nose, and released them from his mouth. Although he still moved at a quick pace through the hedges, and his heart still pounded in his chest, he felt hard-earned training pay off as his thoughts stilled and his fury subsided.

So when the pale-skinned woman actually did answer his question, he didn't respond with more heated words. Instead, he turned a surprisingly sympathetic look on her. And his voice, when he spoke, was calm and comforting. "No. No it's not. It's...it's quite understandable really. And I think you'll find a lot of people feel that way as well. Myself. Amalia."

The summoner smiled, though it didn't reach his eyes. "But you'll never feel like you belong if you keep measuring yourself against other people. And you need to start recognizing what you can and do contribute. Like your aim with the rock earlier. It bought us quite a bit of time from the squirrels, in case you hadn't noticed." He paused, and gave her a considering look. "Seems to me the only one who thinks you're just Maea is you."

Then he glanced up at the open air above them. "I'm going to go check on the path again. Follow me." With that, he leapt into the air again and shifted, wings pumping. He gained enough altitude to spot the nearest way out, and began flying above it, hoping to lead her through.

Of course, that was when the squirrels started firing thorns at him. He honked in outrage as they shot towards his feathers, and he tried to weave and dodge through the air frantically as he made his way towards the ground so he could land.
what goes, let go
LOREN