[SE] One over the Other
For Maea
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Age: 34 | Height: 5' 5" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 10 - Strg: 28 - Dext: 25 - Endr: 27 - Luck: 25 - Int: 1
MIA - Regular - Ragdoll Cat
Played by: lancydulac Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
Thank you for finding me
And thank you for the care
It was a good thing that Sam had gained back his fingers before Longheat, or the basket-making portion of the tradition would have become impossible; even with all of his fingers intact he found he was struggling, never having been skilled at arts or crafts. The long, thin reeds he'd bought at the market (it had not taken long for the people of Sanctuary to capitalise on the tradition) did not seem to bend the way he wanted at all, making a mess of a weave that was much looser at one side than another.

He had come to do it at the Atheneum so that he could get on with his work after, but the task had taken much longer than expected. Having found a book with a guide, he'd been trying to follow it, but the diagram of neat squares folded over each other was as indecipherable to Sam as ancient texts written in old, forgotten languages.

With a sigh, he thought to undo the basket so far and try one last time, the reeds splintered and strained already - they would not take many more attempts. Slowly he began to untwine what he had done, wondering how it was children so easily accomplished this task.
And fuck you for making me
Think that this life might be fair
SAMUEL
Maea Valair
Hollowed Grounds Ambassador / Loreseeker

Age: 29 | Height: 156 cm / 5'1 ft | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 4 - Strg: 22 - Dext: 22 - Endr: 25 - Luck: 21 - Int:
Played by: Chan Offline
Change author:
MP: 1917
Maea
Big dreamers shoot for open skies
Ever since she had come back, Maea had practically lived at the guild. Both because she no longer had anywhere else to go, but also because she was determined to catch up on everything she had missed in her year of absence. There were so many projects she had been working on, things she wanted to learn and study. Add to that the backlog of new discoveries and she had her hands full.

First on the list was of course to get better at her biggest, most glaring flaw. Reading. Writing. What was a Loreseeker without a decent grasp of this most fundamental of skills? Being able to take notes and document finds was vital, not to mention help others do the same. So she went back to the very basics, to the material given those children who had time to spare or parents that found such things to be of importance.

Carrying her stack of books, along with a notebook Sam had once taught her to make and writing materials, she headed for a desk in the Aetheneum when a soft release of breath made her look down one of the isles. A shock of red hair told her who it was right away, and with a soft smile she changed direction and approached him.

"A lesson for a lesson?" Maea asked, in way of greeting. Voice soft, eyes bright with quiet mirth. Had anyone told him she was back?

♦ Violence, magic, thievery is permitted with Maea at all times. DM me if you have any ideas ♦
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Age: 34 | Height: 5' 5" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
Thank you for finding me
Sam stared defeated at the reeds in his fingers, not noticing Maea's approach until she was only a couple of feet behind him; he turned and his eyes widened in shock, barely able to process her question for a moment. "I...ah...yes, but..." He pushed his chair out so he could lean more to face her.

"Maea, where have you been? I haven't seen you for such a long time. You were meant to come to my shop, make more books..." He didn't sound mad, just confused, wondering if he had somehow managed to miss her at every time she'd called by - he had been away from his shop a lot in the last year, but surely he would have seen her at least once?
SAMUEL
Maea Valair

Age: 29 | Height: 156 cm / 5'1 ft | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
Maea
Her smile was gentle, apologetic as she offered him a small hug. "I'm so sorry, Sam," she tried to soothe. "It's a bit of a long story... The gist of it is that I was not able to come home until quite recently."

The fact that she'd gone back on their agreement did weigh on her, though. So many things had been put on hold, her lessons not the least of them. Not only the bookbinding, but he'd promised to teach her to read better too, and then... she had not come through on her end.

"Let me make it up to you?" she asked. "I'm selling the farm, so I will be devoting my time to the Guild from now on. No more distractions." It was said with a wave of the hand, as if the farm had been nothing but a nuisance so far... but the truth of it was that the loss of it would sting for a long time.

♦ Violence, magic, thievery is permitted with Maea at all times. DM me if you have any ideas ♦
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Change author:
Thank you for finding me
Still reeling a little from the sight of Maea in one piece, Sam returned the hug with slow, confused arms. "I see. Well I...am glad you have returned now, then." As she pulled away he pushed a chair out for her to sit on, hoping she might stay a while. Friends were a rare commodity for Sam at the moment, as he lost more and more people to his relationship with The Voice.

"You're selling the farm? Where will you live?" That she was devoting all her time to the guild was a surprise too; Sam wondered if Jigano had had a hand in the decision. "I...am having some time away from the guild, at the moment, in a way." He was still making notes, but he was hardly spending any time in the basement, nor if he had to admit it, as much time as he once had been working on the various projects he had to do. After his argument with Jigano, it had been hard to keep up just as much motivation.

For the time being, he gently placed his mess of a basket attempt on the table, hoping Maea could help once they had gotten reacquainted.
SAMUEL
Maea Valair

Change author:
Maea
Relieving herself of her burdens onto the table, Maea accepted the chair and sat down. Sam's confusion was as obvious as it was understandable, and she knew she would have to explain her whereabouts eventually. But for the moment, she just enjoyed being in his company again. He was one of the oldest acquaintances she had, even if their friendship was still new, and it was very comforting to see that he was in one piece, considering all the trouble she knew they'd had.

I've arranged to board at the VlamVloed for the time being," she told him, "but I'm not sure what to do yet once the deal runs out. Jigano said I could stay at the Guild, but... I don't know that a cot in a reading room will be a long term solution. Though I do like the idea of being able to stay here."

Reaching for a few strands of Sam's basket project, Maea aligned the reeds and deftly began to weave a square for the bottom, folding strand after strand and placing one over the other as she spoke. It was a task she had done too often, weaving both willow and reed, straw and cloth; it was just one of those utilitarian skills picked up after a lifetime as a farm girl, and she wanted to refresh her memory before trying to teach her friend.

"How come? I heard you've been putting yourself forward more recently, are you busy with other things? Of course, you've joined the Council too... Congratulations on that." She smiled warmly, not mentioning that she'd refrained from voting on either of the nominees for the Naturals Advisor. It made her feel a bit guilty, but... Jigano's words about Sam's new devotion to the Voice worried her. More than she wanted to admit.

Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Change author:
Thank you for finding me
"Oh, yes, the new bar..." Sam had not yet been to look at it, though he had heard about the Rathskellar's destruction during LongNight. "What is it like?" Bars had never really been his kind of places anyway, but if Maea was able to consider staying there, he supposed it couldn't be that bad. "There's still empty houses in the domiciles, if you wished to claim one. Mostly in the back streets, now, but...it's still a roof over your head."

He watched Maea deftly accomplished what he had been unable to with the basket weaving, watched her fingers do functionally the same as his had, yet her actions seemed to produce something far neater.

As for why he'd been spending time away from the guild; awkwardly, Sam tapped out a rhythm against the edge of the table. "I um...recently had a little bit of an argument with Jigano. We're still civil with each other, but it's a touch uncomfortable between us at the moment." To put it mildly. He chewed on the inside of his lip, wishing he could say he thought they'd resolve it any time soon.

"Thank you. I didn't think anyone would vote for me." He laughed, still struggling to believe it.
SAMUEL
Maea Valair

Change author:
Maea
"Very fancy. All blue and bronze, and a bit uptight looking. But the food is great, and the owner is nice enough. Very open to do business, and pleasant enough to hold conversation with. It's not ideal, but... I would rather spend time on guild matters than try to settle into a new house." Living on her own was still something Maea was unaccustomed to. The emptiness of it grated at her, reminding her only of what she'd lost. Even in the moments before she fell asleep at night, the silence filled her with a lonely ache. No one to talk to, none to connect with on a deeper level, like what she'd shared with Noah and his children.

"Perhaps I should look for a companion instead..." Though one didn't just go buy one on the market. That kind of bond... it was special, rare and difficult to find.

Looking up from the braidwork, Maea considered the ginger with a little wrinkle of concern between her brows. She recalled what Jigano had said, the comment about Sam finding his courage but becoming far too devoted to the Voice as a price.

"Can I ask what the argument was about?" she asked him gently, though thought she could already guess the answer.

Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Change author:
Thank you for finding me
"Oh. It sounds...very different from the Rathskeller." The old bar had felt cobbled together, something thrown into a place in five minutes and pushed into the basement. Perhaps if this new establishment was classier, Sam would have to go and see it for himself. "Not that I have much use for food or alcohol, really..." Still, he could taste better than most Ascended, so he supposed he was the best suited of them to be a customer.

Sam nodded, thinking of Mia and smiling. The cat had wormed her way deeply into his heart, but in a quiet way; in the evenings, curled up on his lap as he read or rubbing against his ankles as he came in the door. "I'm not sure you can find them purposefully. It is simply something that happens...I'm sure it will for you, one day. Abandoned tend to attract unicorns, don't they? Have you ever seen one?" Other than Isla (and he wasn't sure she counted) Sam didn't think he had.

Of course, Maea asked more about the argument. Sam sighed, keeping his eyes on the rapidly appearing basket. Would Maea judge him too? "Jigano..does not approve of the things I do for the Voice, nor how close I am to her. He thinks her a bad Goddess and thinks she is hurting Caido. I believe she is helping it more than anyone else right now. ...We cannot find a way to agree." The awkward, stilted truce they had at the moment was hardly the same friendship they'd enjoyed before, but Sam did not know how to fix it.
SAMUEL
Maea Valair

Change author:
Maea
Startled to hear him speak of his ascensionist lack of needs, Maea carefully schooled her face to calm indifference, merely nodding her agreement that he ought to go check the place out. She had such trouble understanding this lack of basic needs. What filled the days with meaning if there were no urges to drive him on? Without sleep, how did he feel truly awake? Without sating hunger, was there ever the satisfaction of being full? Maea couldn't imagine it, though she tried; her hands tightened around the reeds and the weaving slowed. She'd never been frightened of Sam before, but this... came too quickly. She loathed the prickle down her spine, but could do nothing to prevent it.

"I've met Remi's Isla," she replied, leaping onto the new subject as though the other burned her tongue, "and I did see Ashetta's unicorn when she fought by the Spire. But, I don't know... Beautiful though they are, I hope when the time comes it's something smaller. I've never been very good at riding, and unicorns are hardly easier to hold on to than ponies." It was not much of a choice, of course. Companions did indeed come to you when the time was right, and usually it was a good match for both parties. If it were to be a unicorn... she would just have to get used to it. Still, it was the connection she had begun to long for. The feeling of not being quite so alone.

When Sam explained the conflict with Jigano, Maea set the beginnings of the basket aside and listened, her attention undivided. As she thought, it had been about the Voice, and she found herself in a difficult position. In essence she agreed with Jigano. She was as devoted to the Old Gods as Sam was to the Voice, and that placed them on opposite ends of a very old conflict. But at the same time... she could not fault him for loving his Goddess. She loved hers, would do anything they asked, so why shouldn't he be loyal to the one he'd chosen? Who'd chosen him.

"I'm sorry," she said, sympathy in her eyes as she reached a hand for his, to give it a gentle squeeze. "I wish I could tell you it will be alright... but I'm not sure that would be true. Jigano can be very stubborn, and in this case..." She chewed her lip, searching for words that would not antagonize him towards her as well.

"The Voice frightens me," she admitted. "I've encountered her twice. Once with you and Wessex, and once just after we went into the Spire. The second time... she half threatened me not to get in the way of her plans, and showed me in close detail what would happen to an Abandoned if the process of ascension failed.

"I'll admit it made me quite biased against her. But... I also can't fault you if you see good in what she does. I love Ludo the same way, after all."

The Herald of Mort was not exactly innocent itself, even though she'd always received kindness from it. Maea shrugged, a little helplessly. It was an impasse, a profound difference in views - hardly anything they would ever truly resolve.

Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Change author:
Thank you for finding me
Sam did not notice Maea's reaction to his passing comment on food or drink; to him it was such an insignificant detail of his life he hardly thought it worthy of a reaction. He had been Ascended for so long he had almost forgotten what the pang of hunger felt like, what it was like to feel the true bite of the cold - pain had been a part of his life again for a while, but he'd cast it back away once he'd had his fill.

"Maybe Unicorns come in smaller sizes." He suggested, though he wasn't really sure. "Though, you could always find a simpler companion...have you met my cat, Mia? She's hardly mythical or magical, but she means a lot to me." The little ragdoll cat gave him company on difficult nights and reminded him to laugh with her silly antics as he pottered around making and selling books. She had truly been a companion in the best sense of the word, even if she wasn't a creature of legend.

He watched as Maea set aside the basket then took his hand, thinking it likely to be a good sign; his panic settled a little. "He can. Yet...I'm finding...so can I." Sam laughed quietly, more to himself than anything else.

That Maea was scared of The Voice saddened him, though he understood her reasons. He frowned, taking his hand from hers and lacing his fingers together as he thought of what to say. "She can...be focused on her goal and not always consider how she might hurt people. Still, I believe she ultimately wants the best. Maybe...if you came to her with me sometime, we could speak to her properly and you will see she is a kind person really."

He was glad she was willing to be open minded, even if she did not like his Goddess. "I do not have anything against the Old Gods as such. They dislike me I am sure, but...I think the best world would be one where The Voice rules alongside them, everyone using their strengths together." Sam's eyes slid over to the basket, that Maea had helped to make. "Could you show me how to do that?"
SAMUEL
Maea Valair

Change author:
Maea
She hummed in agreement that a followed would not have to be large, or indeed a creature of legend. She had not met Mia, and told him as much, but would likely get the chance should they pick up the lessons he'd once promised.

Letting go of his hand again after a moment, she heard his reply with the same quiet attention as before. The idea of placing herself before the new goddess again was... not perhaps one she thrilled at, but Maea did not flat out deny Sam on this idea. There were a few things she would like to ask the Voice about, after all, and perhaps this might be a good opportunity to do so.

"Could you tell me what kind of future she envisions?" she asked. "What is 'the best', in her opinoin... and yours?"

"Of course. Here, take a handful of these..." Again she reached for the reeds and indicated Sam should do the same. She showed him how to align four of them to form a base, interlocking just at the middle of each straw, and then add more on each side of the square until it was to the size of his liking.

Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Change author:
Thank you for finding me
Maea didn't say anything about seeing The Voice and Sam didn't push it any further, not wanting to appear a fanatic. The way to make people see the Voice was to let them know the choice was there if they wanted it, not to push her in their face.

Still, when asked, he could talk for hours about what it was The Voice wanted to provide for all the people of Caido. "She wants us all to be connected and to be better than we are - the best we could be. With her technology we could travel the country in a step or eliminate any painful areas in ourselves...even share memories or communicate across great distances. My partner can diagnose illness with just one bite." As much as that specific use of The Voice's power irked him, it was a great way to show the progress they could make; diseases identified in seconds and ready to treat.

Taking the straws from Maea he awkwardly bent them around how he was shown; he found that with the method being shown to him in person step by step it was indeed easier. Eventually, a messier but functional basket base began to form from his hands and he held it up, smiling at it. "It'll do. What next?"
SAMUEL
Maea Valair

Change author:
Maea
Fingers working to slowly show Sam how she wove the strands of the basket, she considered what he said. The idea of being connected, mind to mind, with people she didn't know was alien and made her want to shudder. What of privacy? What if she wanted to keep her thoughts to herself? Perhaps the idea of travel would benefit some, she wondered what would happen to the simple life of the people she knew and had grown up with if technology advanced. At what point would the farmer, the smith, the tanner and woodcutter become redundant? What would people devote their lives to if many of their basic needs - some indeed brought on by pain - just wasn't there anymore?

She thought of her conversation with Amun, of his insistence that he didn't need food or sleep to have meaning in his life.

"What if someone would prefer not to share in that... communication?" she asked him, glancing up. "Would the Voice accept their choice?"

Seeing that he had formed a base, she proceeded to show how to bend the thin reeds that sprouted from each side upwards from it, and weave a tight circle of them using a new strand. Once the first one ran out, she took another, overlapping the ends slightly before continuing. Round and round it looped, in and out of the wall supports, spiraling up to whatever height he chose.