[SE] Luften klar och ren
open
Maea Valair
Hollowed Grounds Ambassador / Loreseeker

Age: 29 | Height: 156 cm / 5'1 ft | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 2 - Strg: 22 - Dext: 22 - Endr: 25 - Luck: 20 - Int:
Played by: Chan Offline
Change author:
MP: 1897
MAEA
A deep intake of air, and a slow, hovering sigh. Lingering, in that the steam emitted from her lungs hovers like a miniature cloud before her, forcing Maea to move through this small piece herself as she walks down the street and leave it behind. Every breath is a small rebirth and she is glad of it. Happy to know that she is leaving the dark and the ugly in the past and moving on into something new and bright and beautiful.

Dazed and giddy, she roamed the meandering streets of the Citadel with the awed look of a child gone astray in a toy-shop. Pale eyes roam hungrily from towering buildings to snow-capped roofs, following the ever-present smoke rising from chimneys into a pale blue sky until the light of the sun grew so blinding she had to blink. Narrow alleys branched off to new unknowns from every side of this main street. Shops, houses and mercantiles fought for her attention with the call of vendors on every corner. Beckoning. Urging her to explore further. The lifeforce of this place was strong, a beating heart defying the ice and the cold, and she reveled in the existence of it.

She could have been born for this place. Light bounced off her white hair and made it glisten and shimmer as she turned her head back and forth, and though rosy from the chill air, her skin looked almost translucent. Winter was becoming for the slender female, always had been, and never more so than in this place where Deepfrost had made its home. Maea drew stares where she passed, and first she thought it might be because of her unusual coloring. But soon it dawned on her that it was more likely due to the scant amount of clothes she wore. While everyone else had bundled up in thick furs and heavy wool, she remained untouched by the cold in just a simple linen dress, covered by nothing more than a ragged black shawl. Smiling to herself, Maea sent yet another prayer to Ludo, thanking it for the gift. It had already saved her life once and proved beyond useful in a place like this.

Humming to herself, a drowzy tune of languid LongHeat nights where the moon roamed high on the night sky, she approached a stall and began to look over the content. Pretty baubles were not in great supply it seemed, but these finely crafted weapons were better suited for what she had in mind. Small daggers lay side by side with horn bows, war axes and leathal looking swords and spears. Under the suspicious glare of the vendor she examined them, lost in consideration and with only half a thought spared for the people moving around her.
♦ Violence, magic, thievery is permitted with Maea at all times. DM me if you have any ideas ♦
Nephele Amoret
the Meadowhawk

Age: 60 | Height: 5'0 | Race: Fae | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Greatwood
Level: 3 - Strg: 11 - Dext: 14 - Endr: 24 - Luck: 3 - Int:
Played by: Brit Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
Nephele
Fae are not the adventuring, exploring types usually. They claim their territories and defend them to the bitter, bloody end. Such is her history, her people's history, and it does not bother her to have that loom over her. Nevertheless, she is an outlier of sorts. Driven by curiosity, a scientific need to document, test and explore every new biome that opens up to her. Perhaps that is something she must grudgingly thank the Ascended for. Exploring the Grounds - though she is far from completing that particular venture - has been put on hold temporarily in the wake of new, icy reaches opening up.

She detests the cold, if only because she cannot fly in this wasteland. The chill of Deepfrost in the Greatwood allows her the option, even if it is an uncomfortable experience. Here she has to trek across the earth like any human commoner, and it is more than degrading. It is a vulnerability. A weakness. A constant thrum of anxiety as she fights through the snow and ice towards the Citadel, wings tucked against her back beneath her layers to keep them sheltered. Her legs are unused to such work, and she fears any possible danger that may target her for her size. How will she escape with her wings so incapacitated? It's a thought that haunts her like a ravenous wolf across the land until she is crossing into the Citadel, relief pitiful against the swell of anxiety in her breast. It does not show on her fair face however, impassive and unaffected as ever.

There are many stalls and shops open, casting their wares like fishing lines out into the crowd. They are a hardy, dismissive lot, not that it bothers Nephele. She quite prefers to be overlooked and ignored, it is exactly what she does to them after all. But she is drawn to the open shops, petite form weaving around those milling about to gaze curiously at weapons and weavings alike. It is how she finds herself side-by-side with a pale maiden, both glancing over the various instruments of violence. "It is a wonder that forges can be sustained in such an environment," she says aloud, more to herself than anything, though the stall runner's face pinches into a glare without answering. Disappointing, she would have liked an answer to such a vague query as it was.
run your fingers through my hair
and speak to me softly
Maea Valair

Age: 29 | Height: 156 cm / 5'1 ft | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
MAEA
Hearing the comment, Maea glanced to the side and was startled to find a young woman there who actually had eyes on the same level as herself. Actually, the stranger might even bea smidge shorter. It was unheard of, and for a moment Maea only stared. Reveling in shock, delight, the kinship of the short people of the world - but then she smiled and nodded.

"I agree. The cost of fuel alone would make every piece of forged metal a treasure indeed... and such craftsmanship makes it near priceless." Her smile was extended towards the shop keeper, who scowled even deeper but grunted in a grudging acknowledgement.

"Of course it should be nowhere near enough for such a masterpiece, but if you might consider my offer for those twin daggers..." Hauling at the heavy satchel she carried, Maea produced a small bag of ground flour, fresh apples and a little skein of spun wool thread, dyed a deep blue that made the mans eyes widen a smidge. They started haggling back and forth, and as the conversation swayed in and out of her favor, Maea produced other little knick-knacks from her bags, replaced some again, until finally - both looking as though they'd been thoroughly cheated - they clasped hands and Maea could add her shiny daggers to the bag.

Offering a little wink and a smile to the short woman, she moved away from the stall. "I doubt anyone will give you answers for free, if that's what you were hoping. Around here, even information is considered valuable... You have no idea how long it took me to figure out whas actually worth bringing to trade." She had not been here long, only a day or two and knew she'd been thoroughly cheated already.
♦ Violence, magic, thievery is permitted with Maea at all times. DM me if you have any ideas ♦
Nephele Amoret
the Meadowhawk

Age: 60 | Height: 5'0 | Race: Fae | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Greatwood
Change author:
Nephele
The woman at her side is a curiosity in and of herself, but Nephele at least is now quite accustomed to the discomfort of being stared at for her own 'abnormalities' when exploring the Hollowed Grounds. As such she does not allow herself to stare, though she has countless questions that she would like to ask the woman eventually, if their meeting extends beyond this. The smile she is awarded is a kindly, beatific one. Nephele blinks at her, mildly taken aback by the disposition the woman displays - one so at odds with the general one all Halo denizens seem to brandish - before her own tentative smile peeks out.

Fae are not easily wounded by words when their own are so sly and enigmatic, so the shopkeep's lack of response is practically kind by comparison. The exchange that follows, prompted by the petite woman at her side, is one that Nephele watches with rapt attention. Absolutely enamored with the give and take on both sides, the haggling that becomes fiercer with every round until the ghostlike lass is awarded what she desires.

When she departs, Neph skips after her on dainty feet, cheeks unexpectedly flushing at the wink directed her way. Taken off guard as always by a beautiful woman's kindness. But the birdlike tilt to her head washes away the stain of pink summarily. "A shame, this land is quite curious. I've lived so long in the Greatwood, I'm uncertain what they could even desire from me." Fruits and vegetables? Silks and soaps? Hides and meats? The Greatwood is bountiful, but she is exasperated by her own lack of knowledge. At least she has found a potential informant - the woman's way of avoiding the intimidating idea of calling anyone friend. She offers a small, shy smile. "My name is Nephele, what is yours?"
and speak to me softly
Maea Valair

Change author:
MAEA
Starting to move down the street again, with an eye on the other stalls to see if she could find something else of interest, Maea smiled back and Nephele and bowed her head in polite greeting. "A pleasure. I'm Maea Valair, from the Hollowed Grounds."

Gesturing a little at the bustling market, she said, "I could tell you what I've discovered so far, if you'd like? I have to admit, I'm just as curious about your home... Never really got much further than the Greatwoods before I was turned around, the time I tried to explore."

Her laugh was a touch rueful, but there was humor in it too. She did not mention that the last time she tried, Maea had gotten so lost that she'd only come to again on the far side of a mountain range, one year into the future and with no memories of the time she'd lost. The sun shone too brightly for that, and it wasn't like she blamed this girl for it.

"If you're from the Greatwoods... does that mean you are... Fae?" The question was a little shy, a little reserved - not wishing to cause offense, but clearly one she could not keep from asking either.
Nephele Amoret
the Meadowhawk

Change author:
Nephele
Nephele mimics the polite dip of the woman's head, finding that this is a particularly dispersed motion among the Grounders. It makes sense considering they have no external appendages to use as further means of interaction like her own wings. Normally Nephele is not one to say things like 'a pleasure' if only because it borders too closely to a lie, and her tongue will not abide such things, but when the woman offers knowledge she is sure she could say it in that moment with no repercussions. Excitement makes her hazel eyes glow as she hurries along at Maea's side. "Perhaps an exchange of information, if that would entice you?" Yes, Nephele is clearly the smoothest talker of the region, even if the slight uptick of her lips into a smile is clearly genuine. Maybe she has simply had her nose stuffed in a book for far too many decades to be suave.

The shy question that follows makes Nephele take a mental step back. She's far from offended, but quickly realizes that Halo - with its icy reaches and need to bundle up and conceal all features - is perhaps the singular equalizer. In a way she had not even considered Maea's humanity, and she is similarly able to pass as a non-Fae. It's a curiosity for another day however, as she's not one to leave someone waiting on an answer. "Yes, though the temperature is too low to leave my wings unconcealed. I suppose that makes it easier to overlook me," Neph admits with an impish smile as they walk among the stalls.
and speak to me softly
Maea Valair

Change author:
You're so cold
but you feel alive
"Oh, I would love that! she said, smiling broadly at the little woman. "Perhaps you could join me and talk as we look around? I have some shopping to do - for your gifting festival," she added, happy that she could claim some small knowledge about Nephele's customs at least. Patting her bag, she indicated that some of the contents that made it bulge might already be intended for others; she had found several items of interest. A nice set of Ningo feather quills for Jigano, a book of adventuring stories for Peter and a curious piece of jewelry she had not yet found an owner for.

Having her question answered without offense and with the free mention of wings attached, Maea had to keep a soft 'oooh' of awe from escaping her. She itched to see the extra appendages, but found the idea of asking a bit on the rude side... and it was probably cold. Not that she would know, with Ludo's gift wrapped about her shoulders.

"I have to admit, I have not been here for very long, and it's only my second visit," she explained and started down the winding rows of stalls. "So I hope you'll forgive if I can't answer all of your questions. What would you like to know?"
lay your hands on me
one last time
MAEA
Nephele Amoret
the Meadowhawk

Change author:
Nephele
Ah, a woman of similar taste it seems. Nephele obliges her request with what would have been a flick of her wingtips, only to frown when they tickle against her spine instead. So instead she mimics Maea's polite nod from earlier. "You are celebrating? It seems to have become quite beloved already in your land." Her tone betrays her neutral words, somewhat bashful at the idea that their culture is appreciated enough to imitate. Lately, she finds herself growing slightly fond of the Grounders, which is slightly worrying but not enough to dissuade her from associating with them. As such she keeps pace with Maea, grateful their limbs are of equal length and she will not be readily left behind on the ground.

Knowledge tempts her from her thoughts on her own interactions with these people, and she is suddenly bowled over with how many she has. How is she supposed to start? In a flash her notebook is pulled from her side bag, twirling a charcoal based pencil and setting it to her scant few lines on Halo. "How many lands are there? Is there governance in the same manner as you attempt in the Grounds?" Oh oops okay maybe not well-worded there, but considering how many nameless rulers have spoken to Delah within singular seasons, she doesn't find it within herself to take it back. "Do you know their staple trades? I wonder what their vegetation is like, meat-based diets have their own drawbacks..." she begins to mutter to herself as her pencil scratches away, hopping idly on her feet in imitation of how she might if her wings were free to lift her weight.
and speak to me softly
Maea Valair

Change author:
You're so cold
but you feel alive
"Oh of course! I wouldn't miss it. We never had any celebrations during this time of year before," she explained happily, "So I think it filled a void with people. Even during the hottest times it is nice to have a reason for play. And we've never needed many excuses to exchange gifts between one another."

Stopping before a food merchant, Maea bartered again and retrieved a pair of steaming pieces of meat, grilled and thread into a stick for easy eating. One she handed to Nephele, the other she kept for herself; the meat was tough but well seasoned, which was curious in this barren land of ice and snow.

"Currently I am aware of my home, the Hollowed Grounds," she went on, nibbling the food. "Your Greatwood, and Halo. But the people here speak of countries to the south that they trade with, so I assume there are far more lands out there that we have yet to see because of the storms." But if the Ascended opened more portals, that would probably change too, a topic Maea was quite divided on. She went on to explain what she had found out about the food habits of the people here, showing stalls with meat, fish and only rarely spices or dried fruits and greens.

"So to me, it seems that fresh produce is the most valuable thing right now," she concluded. "Firewood, fruits and grain, spice and anything really that is grown rather than hunted or mined for."

So saying, she stopped and examined a stand filled to the brim with carved figures. Made out of bone, tusks and teeth, she picked out a few small charms - made to fit onto string and wear as jewelry or hang from clothing or shrines, whichever one preferred - and traded a little bag of dried apples for three of them. One a bird, the other a snake and the third a big leaping fish the merchant called 'whale'.

"There, that should do," she said, looking content. "So, what were the stories about the Grounds before the barrier fell? I hear there was some dismay about us being freed, and quite a bit of conflict since" she asked and turned back to Nephele, eager to keep talking.
lay your hands on me
one last time
MAEA
Nephele Amoret
the Meadowhawk

Change author:
Nephele
"Gift-giving is uncommon among my people, but it is a...nice thought." She hesitates over the word, tongue tied up with the forcefulness of honesty, unsure what else to call it. Nephele privately thinks it's more foolishly optimistic, especially considering how violent and prone to backstabbing and overthrowing of monarchies the Grounders seem to be. But if Maea looks forward to such things, Nephele will stretch the truth as much as she can to not insult her for her positivity.

As the woman speaks she scribes quickly into her notebook, ears keenly tuned to her voice even as her hazel eyes never leave the pages beneath her fingers. It is valuable information, and she hums a distinctly satisfied sound when the words run out both verbally and beneath her hand. "Thank you," she says simply for lack of any other commentary on Halo or the information she has been given. Why search for further words when brief ones suffice? Or perhaps that is just her way. Brevity and emotional distance.

"That you were cursed souls, doomed to wage eternally across pitifully small years of life due to your insolence. We did not need to philosophize too greatly over your existence when you seemed sufficiently trapped and punished, thinking you would never impact us. Clearly an oversight on our part." Hopefully the woman wouldn't be too offended by her blunt explanation. "To be frank, you do not think about the lives of ants, do you? You are just as small from up above." Perhaps that's why the Fae were capable of flight, were not punished by the Gods or the monsters of LongNight. It was easy to fall into the trap of believing themselves to be better. "I should return home soon, however. Perhaps you will visit the Greatwood? I would be willing to escort you for a time." Not too far of course, and only certain areas, but Nephele wouldn't mind escorting Maea so that she wouldn't be harassed by her fellow Fae.
and speak to me softly
Maea Valair

Change author:
MAEA
That was... cerainly a lot to consider. A rather shocking point of view, but then again, the Fae were not human. And difficult though it was to hear Nephele speak of her people like that, Maea found herself intrigued.

"I would be honored to see your home," she replied, earnestly. "And I would very much like to explore your views more. Perhaps at a later time? I don't wish to keep you, if you have business elsewhere."

Her own shopping was done anyway, and the day was wearing on. About time for dinner, perhaps...

------
- Fin