[SE] Lay this to rest
Maea Valair
Hollowed Grounds Ambassador / Loreseeker

Age: 29 | Height: 156 cm / 5'1 ft | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 2 - Strg: 22 - Dext: 22 - Endr: 25 - Luck: 20 - Int:
Played by: Chan Offline
Change author:
MP: 1897
You're so cold
but you feel alive
Smother another failure, lay this to rest
Console yourself, you're better alone
Destroy yourself, see who gives a fuck
Absorb yourself, you're better alone
Destroy yourself...

Something was stirring at the old Valaire farm. Black smoke had been rising from the yard before the barn for a few days now, and though neighbors had been warned that someone was going to be there, that it was not, in fact, on fire, there was an unusual amount of traffic on the lonesome country road that passed by the steading as Maea rummaged through the remnants of her old life.

It was like looting a corpse.

Starting with the outhouses, she had sorted out all the tools and materials into piles. Things that were borrowed, things that could be traded, and things that were too broken to repair. All the animals were gone, and most of the feed had turned after a year and more of neglect, but there were plenty of other things that could be salvaged. Tools, raw materials. Hammers and chisels, spits, picks, pitchforks and wheelbarrows. Knives for butchering and hunting, shears, tongs. Wood, nails, wool both raw and combed, some even spun into thread, ready to ship off to market. On the loft amidst piles of hay she found a chest tucked away in a corner, full to the brim with old books. Miraculously they seemed mostly unharmed, the solid oak of the lid having prevented any moisture from leaking through. Those she set aside, meaning to bring them to the Aetheneum and let the guild go through them, see what they were about.

Maea tried not to think too much as she worked. It was too painful. Even though these were simply tools of the trade, it was still objects she had seen handled by her family. Her grandfather climbing the rickety old ladder. A huge woven basket they had used to carry apples from the orchard to the brewery, dragged on a tiny cart that now stood out on the yard with a broken wheel. She remembered laughing as she helped Lienna drag it, while Noah and the children had pushed on from behind. The youngest, Leon, had only barely been able to keep up, his small hand holding on to the rim more for support than to aid the work.

Burning the things that could not be saved was even harder. Standing with a bucket of water in one hand and a two pronged hay fork in the other, she watched the flames consume memories with a very distant look on her face. Looking for all the world as though she might throw herself onto the pyre next, rather than sacrifice another piece of the farm.
lay your hands on me
one last time
MAEA
♦ Violence, magic, thievery is permitted with Maea at all times. DM me if you have any ideas ♦
Amun Arlun
Potter

Age: 41 | Height: 5'7'' | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 11 - Strg: 31 - Dext: 34 - Endr: 28 - Luck: 30 - Int: 1
ZHANSHI - Mythical - Landshark (Airbending)
Played by: Crooked Offline
Change author:
MP: 3415
my love affair with water runs deep into my soul,
the serenity as intense as the tides ebb and flow
Amun didn’t come out to the Fields much, as evidenced by the random way he wandered through them. However, after being forced to conclude that he wasn't going to be able to work in his studio, he'd turned back to his older crafts: stealing, scavenging, looting, pickpocketing, and other misdeeds. There were always valuables to be found in pretty much any part of the Hollowed Grounds.

Despite the heat of Longheat, a dark cloak covered his body. Granted, he couldn't feel it, and the sunlight was much more worrisome than the cloak. On the subject of heat, in the distance, he saw a plume of smoke rising. Frowning, he picked up his pace and changed his angle to head towards it. Although he knew how dangerous fire was, he also knew how quickly it could spread, and had no desire to be in the path of a raging inferno.

So he'd check, and then run if he had to.

However, it turned out to be a much more controlled blaze, one that Maea stood over with a bucket of water. He hesitated, before finally calling out to her. "I've always found that sand or dirt works much better than water." Staying far away from the fire, he crossed his arms. "What prompted this little bout of arson?" There was something a little off about his voice, something rote or mechanical.
nothing is softer or more flexible than water,
yet nothing can resist it
AMUN
Maea Valair

Age: 29 | Height: 156 cm / 5'1 ft | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
You're so cold
but you feel alive
It was hot. Under the crushing sun, by the blazing fire, Maea looked like a sculpture of ice ready to melt at any moment. Grime from the many old, unused things had stained her hands and smudged onto her face where restless hands wiped away the coils of hair that came loose from the tight braid. Soot had latched onto the skin, and where sweat had trickled down the temples, pale funnels of cleanliness shone like silver linings on the darkness of her cloud. There were streaks down the cheeks too, as though she had been crying. But when she looked up at Amun her eyes were dry. Distant, bereft of any humor, but ultimately dry.

"The water is easier to handle," she answered laconically. As if to prove the point, a spark shot off towards a patch of grass nearby, causing smoke to rise almost instantly. Without lifting a finger, Maea made the water in the bucket pool up and over the rim, oozing like so many serpents toward the newborn hazard, and with a hiss of steam the water smothered the embers before they could become anything more. Once the fire was out, she brought the water right back into the bucket; a little less than before, but still far more efficient than if she were to run for the well after each throw.

"I'm selling the farm. Have to clean out... well. Everything." And what could not be repaired or traded away? It would have to go. Glancing at the pile of broken and beloved things, she sighed. It was still sizeable, a heaping mound of heartache to go through. And this was just the outhouses.

"Should you be outside in daylight?" Eying the heavy cloak, she searched for the gaze of the man somewhere beneath the cowl, unsure of why he had come. Of whether she was in the mood for the kind of argument they'd had last time.
lay your hands on me
one last time
MAEA
♦ Violence, magic, thievery is permitted with Maea at all times. DM me if you have any ideas ♦
Amun Arlun
Potter

Age: 41 | Height: 5'7'' | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
Amun noted the soot, but he didn't feel the heat himself for obvious reasons. Still, he continued to give the fire quite a wide berth. As Maea demonstrated her mastery of water, however, the potter raised his eyebrows. "Carry on then." He slid his hands into his pockets as he watched her.

Nodding along to her explanation about the farm, he didn't move from his spot, just stared at the dancing flames. However, his gaze darted to her at her question about the sun. "Should you?" His focused on her pale eyes and hair and even paler skin for just a moment before he shrugged. "Sorry to hear about the farm. Find anything good while you were cleaning it out?"
AMUN
Maea Valair

Change author:
You're so cold
but you feel alive
Well, no. She shouldn't. Already her skin was red and burning from the harmful light, flaking in places where the damage was older. But the pain was something she was well accustomed to, a necessary evil if she were to get anything done. Working with lanterns in the dark was far more dangerous, especially this time of year when everything was parched and dry as kindling.

"At least I'm not likely to spontaneously burst into flame," she countered, remembering what Rex had told her. "But it's your funeral..." Shrugging, she made sure to keep her eyes on the fire. Crickets chirped in deafening unison in the grasses about the yard, but it was the flinthoppers she was worried about. The pests were everywhere, and sometimes she swore they were drawn to fires, all too eager to kindle others in the vicinity.

"Some trinkets, odds and ends... a chest full of books. It's mostly things from the barn," she answered. Setting the pitchfork down with the prongs safely tucked into dry soil, Maea turned and nodded towards the open barn door behind her. Just inside the building was a large pile of items, safely under roof and ready to be locked up once she was done for the day.

"Have a look if you want, see if there's anything you've need of. I'll be trading it all away, so..." Though in return for what, she wasn't sure. In terms of immediate value, she had a small fortune on her hands but no real idea what to do with it. The alcohol left in the brewery had already been promised to the VlamVloed, ready to be shipped off the next day, but the rest? It was too much, really. Better if she could have it whittled away some.

And she did owe Amun an apology. Perhaps free stuff would help mend that bridge a little bit.
lay your hands on me
one last time
MAEA
Amun Arlun
Potter

Change author:
Amun shrugged. ”Haven’t burst into flame yet. Maybe I’m strong or old enough or whatever not to worry about that now.” The words held little inflection or emotion. "Besides, it seems like neither of us like to be cooped up." His eyes strayed from the fire to Maea. Then he smirked, though it was a shadow of the one she'd probably last seen from him, barely visible. "Besides, this seems more like your pyre than mine."

Nodding at her explanation, he began to meander towards the barn in question. "Anything Safrin might like or you might bring to the midnight gathering that everyone keeps talking about?" Again, his voice was weirdly detached, as if he was saying the words by rote rather than actually meaning them. He studied the pile, but made no move to take anything from it.
AMUN
Maea Valair

Change author:
You're so cold
but you feel alive
Her own voice was not much different. The words came out dull, weary and without much energy; "Indeed. Good for us." Looking between the flames and the pile of memories, she added, "In a way, I suppose it is. Does it please you?"

In the pile, Amun would find a multitude of items. Most were practical in nature, the tools of trade a farmer might need for animal care, building, brewing alcohol and tending an orchard. Knives and hammers, boxes of nails and measuring tools, a saw and baskets of every size. But among the shears, pliers and glass containers, there were treasures to be found. A longbow stood leaned against the wall, lacking a string but seeming in good working condition, with a scratched but functioning quiver next to it. There were only two arrows in it, one with damaged fletching and the other lacking the arrow tip. Balancing precariously atop a pile of chairs sat a pretty little glass bowl, complete with lid and delicate glass feet. Light streaming in from the open door fractured in the many faceted sides and made rainbow light shimmer through the air; it was skillfully made, and how it had wandered from the house - where it clearly belonged - was a mystery. A few dog eared books had been stacked on a rolled up carpet next to it, and half buried beneath a pile of unsorted metal junk a rusty sword handle peaked out, safely tucked into a worn leather scabbard.

From outside, Maea shook her head. "No. Leastways not from here... don't think I could stand it." Somehow, it was easier to treat the things as though they had no personal value. If she bartered them off for something else, she could pretend that it didn't hurt to lose them. Leaving them to rot at a shrine or giving them to a friend, where she might have to see them again and be reminded felt... harder.

But Amun... well. He wasn't exactly a friend. "If you see something you like, you can have it."
lay your hands on me
one last time
MAEA
Amun Arlun
Potter

Change author:
At Maea’s question, Amun looked back at the fire. His eyes reflected the light, highlight the fact that his own had lost their mischievous glimmer. ”Why would it please me?” Although he was genuinely confused by the question, it didn't really show in his expression or his voice.

Nodding distractedly, he wandered through the pile of hidden treasures and common every day things. Stopping, he lifted the bowl, though it was only to place it on a less precarious perch, moving the chair so it wouldn't wobble and damage the glass. Her offer surprised him, and he glanced at her.

Then he turned back to the pile. Kneeling, he moved the books to a safe spot as well. Then he unrolled a bit of the carpet, trying to see the pattern on it.
AMUN
Maea Valair

Change author:
You're so cold
but you feel alive
Turning her side to the pyre so she could watch it and the guest at the same time, Maea regarded the man as he picked through her things. She wondered the same thing; could not say why she thought it might make him pleased to see her unhappy. It was an unfair assumption, like so many others she'd made about him, and if she thought about it it was likely very far from the truth. What had he ever done but save her, after all? Offering company and trying to lighten a heavy mood, and in return...

"I'm sorry. That was uncalled for." Dragging a dirty hand through her hair to push it out of the eyes, her jaw clenched. "I just... get the feeling you're laughing at me. Or about to snap... can't decide what'd be worse."

The carpet was thick and heavy. It's backside was of monotone gray but upon unrolling it a world of color came to light. The pattern was simple enough, a geometric pattern of interlocking diamonds against a simple backdrop, but the colors..! They were vibrant and rich, pleasing to the eye as they complemented each other and brought the pattern to life. The whole thing was clearly made of expensive materials and very old, perhaps more so than the farm itself. Perhaps a treasure from before the barrier, or made before resources became so scarce that such a luxury could still be afforded. At some point it had been stored in the barn for safekeeping, and then forgotten.
lay your hands on me
one last time
MAEA
Amun Arlun
Potter

Change author:
Amun shrugged off her apology. ”I’m not laughing at much these days, least of all you. And don’t worry, I’m in no danger of snapping at anyone. Even if I was, I pose no danger to you, or anyone else" Although his tone was hardly reassuring, he spent more time examining the pile of goods on display then he did even looking at Maea.

As the gorgeous pattern revealed itself to the world, he studied it, eyes taking in each stitch, shape, and color. Finally, he rolled it up again, hiding its beauty from the world. Straightening up, he cast his gaze back over the remains of her old life. "Think you could stand to think of that in a new home?" The question came out quietly.
AMUN
Maea Valair

Change author:
You're so cold
but you feel alive
His reply did not help much. If anything it only made her feel worse, and after nodding quietly the girl turned back towards the fire, leaving Amun to look at the items in peace. As the contents of the pyre burned low, she added more to it, using the pitchfork to ensure that the smoldering embers and half-burned contents wouldn't topple. The sun had reached it's peak and was traveling towards the far end of the horizon, but there was still far too much day left for her taste. Once she was done here, Maea looked forward to returning to her room at the VlamVloed. Maybe after a long bath, a good meal and a rare drink she would begin to feel human again.

Looking up at the sound of his voice, Maea glanced over at the ascended, and nodded when she saw what he was indicating. "Yes. I did not know we even had it... Found it on the loft under a pile of tarps earlier today." It held no memories, and thus it was no issue parting with it.

Considering Amun for a moment, she said, "I'm sorry you didn't get the spot on the Council. I liked what you said about respecting our traditions."
lay your hands on me
one last time
MAEA
Amun Arlun
Potter

Change author:
Seeing how little attention Amun was paying to Maea, her actions, or her emotions, he didn’t really see how his words bothered her. He just began walking through the items that had been set out again. ”You should bring it to the gathering. I’m sure there’d be many who’d love to trade you for it.” He picked up one of the measuring tools and inspected it.

Not even bothering to look back at her, he continued his study of the tool. ”Thank you. But it’s alright. I’m sure the Sage will do an excellent job.” Shockingly, there was no animosity towards Jigano in the Ascended's voice. Granted, there wasn't much of anything else either. The potter finally found his eyes straying towards her. ”I’m surprised you didn’t run for something yourself.”
AMUN
Maea Valair

Change author:
You're so cold
but you feel alive
Oh. She'd thought he wanted the thing for himself. When the suggestion to trade it came instead, she merely shook her head - which he probably didn't see - and poked the iron prongs of the haypitch into the pyre. Sparks hissed and spat as they sprayed up into the air, smoking as they landed on the ground; Maea quickly doused them with water. No doubt she'd have to find gifts for people, but... for whom? and what? She wasn't sure. If she could get out of the gathering entirely it would be even better... Maybe she could find a reason to leave the Grounds that day.

"I don't doubt it. But so could you... maybe next time you will get a new chance."

Setting down her burdens, she came over to the barn and slipped inside, relishing the moment away from the blistering heat. Her throat felt smokey and dry, tongue sticking to the roof of her mouth; she closed her eyes.

"I thought about it," she admitted, thinking of the election. "But... for one, I just got back. Don't know anything of what's happened, not even after a hundred explanations. For the other... I failed the last time I tried for anything like that. Even my friends agreed that I was not suited to take a leading role."

Thin shoulders rose and fell in a shrug. "Nothing has changed since then, not really, so why would it be different this time?"
lay your hands on me
one last time
MAEA
Amun Arlun
Potter

Change author:
Setting down the tool, Amun moved on to a plain knife instead. Lifting it in his left hand, he spun its tip idly against his prosthetic, though he was careful not to damage either item. "Not sure about that. Was mostly running so that people who have a choice, instead of having only one option." He tossed the knife back where he found it. "That's not to say I wouldn't have been committed to it."

Finally, he turned to face her fully as she entered the barn. He was weirdly still as he listened to her. For a long moment, he was silent after she finished. "Because you're wrong. Everything's changed, since then, even if you haven't. But that's not to say it isn't time for you to change too." Despite the dullness in his tone, there was something weirldy encouraging about the words. His eyes considered her carefully, though a bit listlessly.
AMUN