Personal Quest ghosts in the machine
Observer

Age: 26 | Height: 5'11" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Nomadic
Level: 3 - Strg: 15 - Dext: 17 - Endr: 30 - Luck: 4 - Int:
MERAKI - Mythical - Spriggan (life-cycle acceleration) 物の哀れ - Mythical - Luxere (Magical fire)
Played by: Odd Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
You've put up notices explain what you want, and little more than that. It's an experiment after all and you'd rather not fill the minds of potential subjects participants with biases and the like. They'll surely start to speculate on their own, but there isn't much you can do about that. Besides, it's best to describe what you want in person when you and your twin can weave your magics together to try and create the companion-effect that you have in mind.

Can it be done? Are you verging on god-territory that you oughtn't? Is this the sort of Tower of Babel, Pandora's Box, and Voice-like stories you've heard of from this world and others, that you should absolutely avoid?

Maybe. But science.

And so, near the Stonesong so that you've plenty of access to fresh water (you're not entirely sure what  you'll need for this experiment so you want to be prepared), you and Kai have set up as much as you can.  

"That man who collects dead bodies and makes pictures for souls—" Abasi "—might be able to help as well." You say, though it isn't clear if you mean this as a way of finding new sources to experiment on, or ways to get rid of bodies.

Our preference is that this PQ be open to those with COMPANIONS. If you don't have a companion you're free to linger in the backround but won't be included in the rounds.

Kai and Oia probably won't kill/dissect/or make you eat anything gross.
OIA'I'O
see the world as it is, not as you are.
the Firebrand
Headmaster / Grand Healer

Age: 29 | Height: 5' 11' | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 11 - Strg: 32 - Dext: 33 - Endr: 35 - Luck: 39 - Int:
ASTRA - Mythical - Luxere
Played by: Crooked Offline
Change author:
MP: 3415
Loren had stared at the notices by Kaimana and Oia’i’o for a long time, expression blank. Finally, the Launceleyn sighed. Gathering his spectacles, his amulet, and his companion, he made his way out to the Stonesong. While he walked with quite a bit of trepidation, Astra was downright ecstatic, however, to be exploring the Greatwood. He’d been neglecting her of late, he realized with a great deal of guilt, and he gave her a gentle rub before she bounded off to peer curiously at everything in their path.

Arriving just in time to catch the tail end of Oia'i'o's comment, he tilted his head at her. "Why do you need Abasi?" There was something wary and protective in the summoner's question, even though his eyes were dull. However, the luxere immediately trotted up to the children of Rae.
LOREN
Not quite an open book
Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Provost of the Loreseekers Soul Shepherd
Portal Guardian
Age: 36 | Height: 6'2" | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 12 - Strg: 30 - Dext: 45 - Endr: 38 - Luck: 42 - Int:
ISUMA - Mythical - Griffin (Venomous)
Played by: Cirago Offline
Change author:
MP: 5250
Kai's name had drawn Jigano's attention first, followed by his sister's. The mysterious sister that the bard hadn't yet had a chance to meet properly. Perhaps the middle of a science experiment wasn't the best time for introductions? Or maybe it was the best. After all, even if they weren't members of the guild, he would support those who sought Lore, and besides, Isuma liked Kai and expressed definite joy at the chance to see him again.

Grinning, Jigano made his way through the trees on a meandering course until the Greatwood spat him out where he wasn't intending to be - on the shores of the Stonesong, facing a pair of young demigods and a grumpy Launceleyn. The bard nodded to Loren, sending a pulse of empathy through the Attuned bond, but Isuma chirruped gleefully as she fluttered to greet Astra, then Kai, then Astra again, chortling her happiness in having so many friends together in one place. "Hey Kai," he called, waving to the eternally-curious young man. "How have you been?" The nightmare of Fiat Lux was still relatively fresh in his mind, but for this day he was determined to move forward with something that carried no shadows.
Sunjata Wrenzaok
the Flood
Archon of King's End

Age: 34 | Height: 6'5 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: King's End
Level: 15 - Strg: 76 - Dext: 73 - Endr: 75 - Luck: 79 - Int: 3
PETRONELLA - Mythical - Sea Panther
Played by: Skylark Offline
Change author:
MP: 4667
first off, you should know, that my light's on but i ain't home
He arrives later than everyone else does, but it had taken a bit of an act of all the gods to get Haai to cooperate so far. She’d at least make for a decent outlier, he supposes, once he’s held onto the griffin with one hand, keeping her latched around his shoulder despite her flared wings and frustration at not being able to fly herself to get here. He doesn’t mind, ignores it in fact.

He also ignores the feeling of frustration she pings to him over and over again until he’s almost numb to it.

The only time he lets the griffin go is as soon as he can see those gathered – spotting Loren, Jigano, the twins, Astra, and Isuma. The last one, Haai makes a dart from his shoulders to head to the fellow griffin, emerald eyes bright and wolfish head that’s begun slowly filling out, edges out to sniff at the pale creature. Sunjata, meanwhile, focuses his attention to all those gathered with a small nod, small smile in greeting as he brushes some of the fur off of his shoulder from packing the companion here.

Hey everyone.” He says by means of greeting, approaching the circle further, pausing by Jigano to fold his arms across his chest, ring glinting in the light.
up high, but i stay low
SuNJATA
No permission needed for power play!
Feel free to use magic/force on Sunjata, without killing him <3
Sunjata speaks with an Australian accent and has a passive magic that makes him produce a subtle scent that matches exactly to whatever those around him most desire him to smell like.
Scientist

Age: 26 | Height: 5'8 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 3 - Strg: 18 - Dext: 17 - Endr: 18 - Luck: 15 - Int:
Played by: shark Offline
Change author:
kaimana
how beautiful the leaves grow old

The familiar faces gather around, and you eave to each from your position on a rock, greeting the men - and their companions - brightly. It's nice that these three are here, because they all (except maybe Jigano) have been very good about helping you gain knowledge so far (especially Sunjata).

But it's the conpanions you're more interested in. "Astra! Haai! Isuma!" you call brightly, slipping off your stone and kneeling on the ground, hands outstretched in anticipation of their arrival for scratches. "Are you ready to learn stuff? For science?"

There is a pulse of magic and you stand up, hands and body still available for attention but your bright eyes now moving between the men. "Thanks for comin! We're doin' experiments to learn about companion bonds today! To start I went ahead an' increased the sentience of your companions." Indeed, the three men will find that the level of communication coming from their companion bonds has improved dramatically, to the point where they can now speak in clearly comprehensible sentences- for a little while, at least.

"Oia'll explain what we'd like you to do first."

how full of light and color are their last days
Observer

Age: 26 | Height: 5'11" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Nomadic
MERAKI - Mythical - Spriggan (life-cycle acceleration) 物の哀れ - Mythical - Luxere (Magical fire)
Change author:
"I never said that I needed him." You reply stiffly, turning to look at Loren. The last time you saw him, he'd grabbed at you to try and force you to be healed while the tall man was carrying away your brother. You might even have scratched or clawed at him in an effort to get away, you really don't remember.

Next comes a man that you don't know, but who knows Kai. Indeed as your twin chirps a greeting (moreso to the assembled companions than the men), you relax only slightly. You remind yourself that you're outside, that you can disappear into the woods any time you choose to and no one (except Kai) would be able to find you.

So you breathe and think of escape.

Your nostrils flare ever so slightly at Sunjata, your interactions with him strained and strange thus far. As Kai quite literally works his magic, you turn to the group through your eyes focus around shins, not wanting to make eye contact. "Companions. Please tell your bonded what you do and don't like about being bonded in an objective sense, and what specific complications you've encountered from being bonded to your specific human-animal. If there are benefits we would like to hear those as well."

So saying you promptly sit down on a mound of earth which rises to accept your bottom, intent on scribbling down absolutely every word uttered.

Kai has temporarily increased your companions' sentience so that they can speak in rough sentences to you! Oia would like to know the benefits/drawbacks of being a companion, as well as specifically being your companion.

No posting order!
OIA'I'O
the Firebrand

Age: 29 | Height: 5' 11' | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:
Loren felt his jaw muscles feather with tension (and maybe his finger shifted to claws for just a moment) before he forced himself to take a breath. ”How might Abasi be able to help you?” His voice was low, and chilly, but at least it was polite.

As Jigano and then Sunjata showed up, the summoner eyed both men, almost warily. However, the Launceleyn said nothing. He simply turned to face the children of Rae. As Kaimana spoke, though, Loren’s eyes widened. Before he could say anything further, the experiment was already underway.

Unsurprisingly, Astra’s joy was almost palpable. I get to speak! This is so exciting! She was so glad to be able to communicate with him that she left Kai and Oia momentarily to bound in an excited circle around the summoner. Being bonded is great! Except when I get left behind. I don’t like that. Or when you get sad. But I like seeing all those new places, and when you’re happy. Oh, and I like when you feed me apples.

However, the demi-gods hadn’t specified that the information should be transmitted to them, so the Launceleyn, being the stubborn dick he currently was, didn’t relay anything that Astra told him. Turnabout was fair play in his mind. If they wanted that information communicated, they should either learn how to read between the lines of what others said, or give more explicit instructions.

Unfortunately, his luxere companion disagreed with his analysis. She stared at him with suddenly sad eyes. You should be nice again. I like it when you’re nice. I don't like it when you're mean and lonely. Everyone needs a herd, even you. He was shocked enough by that analysis that his jaw dropped momentarily before he schooled his features into an expressionless mask.
LOREN
Not quite an open book
Sunjata Wrenzaok
the Flood
Archon of King's End

Age: 34 | Height: 6'5 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: King's End
Change author:
Haai absolutely darts toward Kaimana for the scratches he offers – and once satisfied (barely so), she returns to Sunjata’s shoulder with wide green eyes lingering on both the demi-gods. It’s almost like a flipped switch, as though once Kai increases the sentience, the pictures from Haai become garbled words at first, before shifting to something akin to almost a toddler’s kind of talk. ‘Oh? Oooh!’ Comes the rather high pitched sound in his mind, and Sunjata ducks his head slightly as it invades.

I like… I like havin’ my nest. I don’t gotta fight for it ‘cuz it’s mine.’ Sunjata quietly chuckles at this but says nothing at first. Haai’s attention remains on the demi-gods as though her thoughts are being sent directly to them and not where Sunjata can hear. ‘He’s okay I guess. He feels lots but pretends not to. He’s also kind of dumb I think.’ The man’s head tilts toward the griffin with a raised brow at that. ‘And.. And I don’t like the dragon that much. I like Coffee. But Pim’s kinda mean and I don’t like that. OH! And Sunny and I don’t play very much anymore and I don’t like that either.

Is that loneliness he feels coursing through? A pang of regret hits him low in the gut as he reaches up to scratch behind Haai’s ears. ‘I guess it’s not so bad. Coulda been lots worse!’ She chimes, turning her head over to lick him squarely on the cheek.

Sunjata clears his throat and looks toward the demi-gods then. “Uh, she said she likes her nest because she doesn’t have to fight for it. She also… Seems to say she tolerates me to an extent. She wants more friends, doesn't like my wife's companion.” He offers, looking back to the griffin and pulling her from his shoulders to hold her in his arms like some sort of child, scratching beneath her chin and under the feathers.
up high, but i stay low
SuNJATA
Sunjata speaks with an Australian accent and has a passive magic that makes him produce a subtle scent that matches exactly to whatever those around him most desire him to smell like.
Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Provost of the Loreseekers Soul Shepherd
Portal Guardian
Age: 36 | Height: 6'2" | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 12 - Strg: 30 - Dext: 45 - Endr: 38 - Luck: 42 - Int:
ISUMA - Mythical - Griffin (Venomous)
Played by: Cirago Offline
Change author:
MP: 5250
Oh, more friends?! Isuma was a-flutter with excitement as Haai came to greet her, returning the sniffs with a chortle and a happy lashing of her long, fluffy tail. Jigano smiled and nodded at Sunjata as well, realizing with a start that he hadn't seen the VlamVloed's owner since the bar had opened. Damn, time was flying... and not always for the best, given the tragedies that had occurred twixt then and now. His expression fell a little, but Isuma's joy was too infectious on this day to let it overcome him for long, and he turned back to Kai and his sister. Isuma bounded towards her demigod friend to bump up against his hand and nibble a finger and--

Oh, I like him! He has interesting smells! Haai, come smell this!

Jigano blinked in utter bemusement as the shock of his companions perky, joyful voice washed through him. Kai's explanation was almost lost in the surprise, but his expression softened with gratitude as he bowed deeply to the young man. "Ah... thank you. This is... even if temporary... it is a great gift," he said softly, almost (almost) at a loss for words as Isuma's happy thoughts bounced through his mind.

Oia'i'o seemed far less comfortable with the gathered group than Kai was... but then again, Loren looked rather awkward as well, and far more unhappy. The bard studied Kai's sister thoughtfully for a moment, then nodded acceptance of the instructions and settled himself down cross-legged on the ground, calling Isuma gently back to him. She hopped into his lap and rubbed against his hands as he scratched her cheeks, sending her a query of ? to remind her of Oia'i'o's question.

Oh! I like all of the friends we meet, and the scratches behind my ears and when Rory tickles my belly and feeds me jerky and when Vaya chases me and runs into things and cuddling with Ama-sis and singing with Jyoti and--

"Whoa, whoa, slow down! What do you like about being bonded, specifically?" he laughed at the excited train of thought and tried to gently redirect her, obligingly scratching behind her ears. "And what you don't like?"

Golden eyes blinked up at him for a moment as she tilted her owlish head into the scritches. Welllll... I like having a family. And I like everyone I get to meet when I'm with you. And I like being loved and loving you, too, and how you feel when you feel my love, and hunting mice together, and making a nest in your hood. I like not ever being alone, not really, not even when we're far apart. Jigano drew a sudden breath at that, feeling a rush of love and guilt that he left her so often... and she peeped softly. That. I don't like that. How much you hurt inside. And when you go away and leave me to watch Rory-dad. I can help you, too, just like Ama-sis! I'm not a baby anymore. She purred and pressed her head up into his hands, reassuring and soothing as she demanded more attention, and Jigano found himself blinking back emotion and not looking at anyone else as he obliged.

"Ah... she says... that she likes not being alone, even when we're not together. And feeling how much I love her, and she loves me. She likes hunting together, and nesting near me and... and all of the different people she gets to meet with me." He drew a breath, smiling down at her with a little sadness. "She also says that she doesn't like it when I go places without her. Or when I feel bad... about myself, but also just in general, I think."
Scientist

Age: 26 | Height: 5'8 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 3 - Strg: 18 - Dext: 17 - Endr: 18 - Luck: 15 - Int:
Played by: shark Offline
Change author:
kaimana
how beautiful the leaves grow old

The conpanions and their excitement is almost palpable, despite being very much inaudible to you. You grin as they all bound off, being careful to maintain a position in close proximity- and to keep an eye on your twin.

Sunjata explains Haai's feelings first, though the whole thing feels suspiciously abbreviated. "As close a translation as possible will be better for the validity of the results," you point out, not unkindly, assuming Oia will be taking notes. "Did she say why she dislikes Pim? Whaddabout other companions?" Inter-companion relationships are a whole new, untapped area for you to explore in your research. It's fascinating, you think.

Jigano is even more withholding, somehow, which is really impressive all things considered. It makes you wish you could speak to them directly, because relying on human-animals is very inconvenient.

And then there's Loren, who for some reason is just plain silent, and seems quite grumpy to boot. You stare at him expectantly, waiting for something to be given to you, some level of information- but he's silent as the grave. "This is a scientific exploration'. You aren't required t'participate, but if you do you gotta' actually be part'a the study."

how full of light and color are their last days
Observer

Change author:
"Why do you want to know?" You ask in a blunt tone, taking his questions as some sort of judgment. Knowing nothing of he and Abasi of course, it merely strikes you as invasive and instantly you bristle.

Swiftly you record what is done. Were you anyone else you might have taken the time to marvel at what it is your twin has accomplished. Certainly, it borders on the goldy, but then, that's precisely what the pair of you are: creatures who border on the godly. But as you're not ominiscient, faster and faster your hand must go to record all that is happening around you.

Or not happening, as is the case with Loren. "Were the instructions not clear? The others seem to have understood. And even if not, watching by example and drawing conclusions is a trait demonstrated in even the most basic of creatures." Which is your way of saying you don't see what the problem is.

Loren has 24 hours to post!
OIA'I'O
the Firebrand

Change author:
Sighing, Loren found himself holding off a scowl. He rubbed his temples instead. ”Because the two of us are close, and I’m worried about why you might be seeking him out.” The words came out a little more bluntly than he’d intended.

As Jigano and Sunjata gave short explanations of their companions thoughts, the summoner let the words wash over him. However, Astra’s words had practically transfixed him and he stared at her. Swaying from side to side, he wasn’t really paying attention to anyone or anything but his companion. As first Kaimana, and then Oia’i’o spoke, however, the Launceleyn blinked.

Then he sank to his knees, and gathered his companion into his arms. The luxere let out a little bleat, and curled almost protectively around him as he buried his face in her fur. ”She’s excited to be able to speak.” He spoke slowly, but loudly, though it was half-muffled given his current position.

The other half was from the tears silently streaming down his face, to be absorbed into the luxere’s coat.

”She thinks being bonded is great, but she doesn’t like being left behind sometimes. She also doesn’t like when I get sad. She does like to see new places, and she likes it when I feed her apples.” His arms tightened around her, though not painfully as he momentarily fell silent. ”She doesn’t like it when I’m mean. And she thinks I need a herd.” Those last two statements were spoken much more softly, and he wasn’t sure if anyone had heard them.

Well, that’s not true. Someone definitely did. That wasn’t so hard! But you’re still sad. Why are you still sad? She nuzzled his chin against the top of his head. We can leave if this is making you sad. He shook his head, unable to do more than that and hold her close.
LOREN
Not quite an open book
Sunjata Wrenzaok
the Flood
Archon of King's End

Change author:
Haai absolutely pays attention to Isuma when called – but when the time comes to talk about what their companions are thinking to them, that’s when she returns. And he listens to what Jigano mentions about his own griffin, scratching at the fur beneath his own’s chin, frowning slightly as he looks down to her once more and her bright green gaze. Kai’s voice comes next, and the frown fades briefly as he goes to recall exactly what she said, with a little ‘ya gotta do it right, silly’ comment from Haai as he sighs quietly. “She says that I’m okay. Apparently I’m ‘kind of dumb’ and have… A lot of feelings I don’t show.” A brief pause as he finds his focus back on his companion. “He likes Adam’s companion Coffee, says that Pim’s kind of mean to her. And that she wants to play more with me.” He explains, gaze lifting if not a bit saddened by the realization he hadn’t paid enough attention to his griffin as he should have.

She says it’s not so bad though, could be worse.” He scratches at her neck a bit more, ring glinting in the light while he does it. And then Oia and Kai are talking to Loren, who drops to his knees and embraces his companion, and Sunjata wonders briefly if those are tears he can see – but he says nothing. Instead, he focuses his steel gaze on Haai who could care less about what’s happening around her while Sunjata scratches behind the ears.
up high, but i stay low
SuNJATA
Observer

Change author:
"But this has nothing to do with you or your feelings for him." You protest before the argument plays itself out in your mind. If he's worried about someone he cares about, it's likely because he thinks you'll do something that Abasi wouldn't like. Or, more likely, that Loren wouldn't like. You frown at this, hating being controlled and that's what this feels like. "Don't worry, it has to do with death. He'll be appropriately informed."

You watch as Loren sinks down and immediately you look at Kai upset and dismayed. "If you can't be objective and communicative during this experiment we will have to ask you to leave." This, is meant to be a comfort, but yours are the only ears that probably hear it as such.

Turning to the other two, with a glance towards Loren unsure if he's going to continue to participate or not, you clear your throat awkwardly. "For the next stage I will freeze in time your companions. Don't worry, absolutely no harm will come to them during this state and they won't be harmed. You are going to tell them—that is, compel them with your will—to remain still. Kai will use his magic to try and make them move."

You wait until everyone is ready. You'll begin with Isuma and Jigano, then Haii and Sunjata and finally Loren and Astra if the Launceleyn has pulled himself together. Pointing at each companion you'lll say freeze. You can't freeze their entire bodies, but you'll freeze their forelimbs while Kai tries to move them.

No posting order.

Loren decide, in or out!
OIA'I'O