Drink another shot of make believe
Edrei Launceleyn
the Rapacious

Age: 28 | Height: 5'7 | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 6 - Strg: 20 - Dext: 20 - Endr: 21 - Luck: 5 - Int:
Played by: Odd Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
edy
stage direction: insert some heavily audio-engineered pop beat heard at least 3 drinks in
Edy was a mess. A hot mess to be sure, but her life had been shit before coming here, and now that she'd finally landed on her feet? Well. Things were about as ridiculous as they had been before. After all, who goes from a prominent member of a high ranking family, a powerful mage, and a storm-guard, to working in a bar. Actually, Edy didn't care about any of that. It was the fact that her family had all but fallen apart, all the friends she had had seemingly fucked right off (or you know, not been teleported over in whatever bizarre turn of events landed her here), and all of her nice clothes were gone.

In short, things were a bit shit. But the teenager was nothing if not exuberantly full of energy at all times (sexual, frustrated, explosive, take your pick).

Lounging behind the bar wearing only a pair of breeches and a shirt that she'd cut off at the sleeves and tied behind her back to make tighter, Edy teased Chunk as the fat cat lounged on top of a barrel. On the bar was also Bobi the bobcat kitten she'd rescued (/found in a pool of blood during what was basically a murder-mystery scene at the infirmary), who was trying to absently and awkward swipe at the cloth Edy was using to sort of wipe down the counter with.
Bastien De Rosieres
the Dionysian
Ambassador for the Hollowed Grounds / Artist

Age: 41 | Height: 6' 2" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 5 - Strg: 20 - Dext: 22 - Endr: 20 - Luck: 10 - Int:
PITTORE - Mythical - Gremlin (Disappearance)
Played by: lancydulac Offline
Change author:

Bastien knew there were others who had been scooped up into Vervain's bar, but he hadn't seen anyone else yet. He seemed to have picked hours when he was alone to perform and chat with the guests. Still, he knew at some point he'd have to meet his coworkers, so when he saw a girl behind the bar he smiled pleasantly as he stepped behind it himself (reaching over to scratch Chunk's ears as he did), eager to make a good impression.

"Ah, hello." He gave a little bow, absentmindedly moving the bottles behind the bar to the way he liked them, in a row and easily accessible to grab and flip. When he turned back to Edrei he held a bottle by the neck upside down, popping the cap to pour himself a small drink. "I am glad to finally meet the elusive other barkeep! I am Bastien De Rosieres but you can call me Bastien."

With a practised flair he put the bottle back down and leaned against the wall, looking Edy up and down. She was young and immediately he had ideas of being a fantastic mentor, teaching her the ways of--well, something. He missed teaching; the respect that came with the authority.

"Please, gift me with your name."

BASTIEN
This tiresome desire to shock and amaze

Perhaps I’ll grow out of it one of these days

Edrei Launceleyn
the Rapacious

Age: 28 | Height: 5'7 | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
edy
stage direction: insert some heavily audio-engineered pop beat heard at least 3 drinks in
As a man much older than she stepped behind the bar, Edy quirked a brow and crossed her arms with a  playful smirk. Edy had only gotten this job by accident: she'd been trying to help herself to some of the alcohol (since there was no one around to serve her) and she accidentally ended up serving Vai. Quickly it became clear Bastien at least knew what he was doing since he offered Chunk a friendly scratch and the cat didn't seem bothered by it. "Hello yourself."

With her arms still crossed and a playfully skeptical expression on her lips, she watched him bow and then rearrange some of the bottles that she'd only haphazardly bothered to put away. Edy had been a soldier before coming here, and so efficiency when it came to serving was not something she'd learned yet.  

"Pour a drink for me and maybe I'll tell you." The teenager trilled brightly, flashing Bastien a dazzlingly white smile and then pretending to look put off that he'd not offered her one sooner. On the bar her bob-cat kitten grew bored of trying to eat the cloth used for cleaning and decided to flop down unceremoniously next to Chunk and chew on his tail.
Bastien De Rosieres
the Dionysian

Age: 41 | Height: 6' 2" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:

Bastien raised his eyebrows with a little surprised smirk at the request but complied, remembering his own days as a precocious teenager. Choosing a drink much weaker than what he had poured for himself he made a drink for Edy, spinning the bottle around his hands a couple of times before he put it down, as much to get into his groove as to impress Edy.

He passed the drink towards her, leaning back again to sip at his own. "Now have I earned the right to know your name? We are to work together, it would be useful. I might make one up if you don't tell me."

As he spoke he watched the bobcat flop about and play and when he had said his piece he knelt down to try and coax it over to pet. Bastien had never been too keen on animals in his past life but now they were a pleasing part of the world that he recognised.

BASTIEN

Edrei Launceleyn
the Rapacious

Change author:
edy
Edy watched with hungry and dark yes as Bastien went about his superfluous display of pouring her a drink. It was unnecessary and dramatic which was precisely why the teenager was so absolutely delighted. "Good with your hands, I see." She all but purred, tipping him a wink and laughing as she accepted the drink.

A playful smirk danced on her ruby-red lips as she considered. She could tell him her name of course, but the idea of being named by this charming older man seemed infinitely more enjoyable. "Mmm..." She mumurered thoughtfully as if she hadn't already decided. Taking a sip of her drink, Edy noticed how incredibly weak it was, and pouted playfully. "I think, I'd rather like to hear what you'd come up with." Edy trilled, before passing in front of him (and doing so in a manner that was far closer than obviously necessary), to add a healthy extra pour to the drink he'd made for her.

Lazily Bobi looked over at Bastien, primal eyes scanning him for a moment. A life with Edy had taught the kitten that nothing was to be feared and only the interesting should be given her attention. And as such, Chunk's feathery tail was much more interesting.
Bastien De Rosieres
the Dionysian

Change author:

Bastien was pleased to see someone enjoy his tricks, his natural performer's personality soaking up the attention. He said nothing in response to Edy's rather obvious flirting, simply raising his eyebrows and smiling as if to say 'wouldn't you like to know?'.

It seemed he really wasn't going to get a simple answer out of her. Tutting with playful disapproval as she topped up her drink, he stepped back to size her up.

"Fine. Though I must warn you the names from my home are probably not ones you will like..." Already he had had to learn how to pronounce all new sounds since coming here, the names and words not slipping off his tongue easily with his accent. "You could be a Santina, maybe. Perhaps a Caterina? Definitely not a Maria. Those are usually sweet, good girls."

He grinned lopsidedly and shrugged. "If it's none of those maybe I'll just call you 'Chunk two'."

BASTIEN

Edrei Launceleyn
the Rapacious

Change author:
edy
The names he offered seemed entirely too nice for a girl like Edy. Especially the way his tongue seemed to stretch and sing them into something far more beautiful than just a string of letters. The mention of Maria being the name for someone sweet and good, Edy fluttered her lashes and leaned incriminatingly forward on the bar, rolling the lip of her glass against her tongue. "And I don't strike you as sweet and good?" She purred as if offended, before tilting her head back and downing the entire drink with another laugh.

"Chunk two, huh?" Edy quipped. The Launceleyn girl had always had a strict training regiment given where and how she was raised. As she would likely always be on the thinner side of things, she didn't take offense at his suggestion the way other women might. Then again, Edy often took offense to things she shouldn't just to cause trouble. In this case though, she merely cackled and looked at Chunk. "Whatdaya think sir? How do you feel about our new staff member being so without imagination that he's gotta copy you?" Scratching the cat behind the ear for a moment, Edy spun around and offered her hand with a flourish. "I guess we'll have to go with Edrei then."
Bastien De Rosieres
the Dionysian

Change author:

"A sweet, good girl would have just told me her name. Maybe a little curtsy." Bastien dipped down, pulling out an imaginary dress. Truthfully, he had always hated stuffy traditions like handshakes and curtsys. Edy's attitude was much more fun to him but he didn't reveal that, keeping the same sardonic smile on his face as before.

She revealed her real name and he raised an eyebrow, having never heard it before. "Edrei, I see. If everything with you is so complicated we shall make three drinks a night. Perhaps we should have the cat serving instead." He spoke with a light humour in his voice, easily stepping up to the bar and pouring out a drink for a woman approaching the bar. With a flourish he tossed a mug up in the air, watching it spin before catching it and filling it.

Even placing it down on the bar was graceful, with a line in his arm and wrist that spoke of practiced lack of effort.

"So. Tell me how you ended up serving here. I fell into it by accident - came for a drink and found a job...that I don't get paid for." With a smirk and a shrug, he rubbed a glass clean in his hands with a rag. "But it is not so bad."

BASTIEN

Edrei Launceleyn
the Rapacious

Change author:
edy
Watching Bastien's miming made Edy laugh again and she put a hand sassily on her hip. "Perhaps I should be calling you Maria then, hmm?" She trilled brightly with a wink. He did after all offer up his name right away, and he had the curtsy down. Then again, in another place and time Edy had been tutored to be around royalty. If she'd wanted to demonstrate her social niceties she could have. But of course, she very much didn't.

"Well at least with only three drinks a night that leaves more for us, eh?" Watching as Bastien served one of their customers, Edy leaned against the bar to merely watch. Maybe she was more cut out of a supervisory role?

With a laugh, Edy drummed her fingers on the counter and grinned. "Ditto. Only, I came in and helped myself to a drink since there was no one serving. Then a woman came in and I offered her one as well. Turns out it was Vai, and now here I am." Winking coyly, Edy pretended to look surprised. "Wait! You mean we aren't getting paid?" The teenager's angular face was suddenly filled with mock indignation, before it entirely fell away into her usual smirk of amusement.

"So old man, you got any more tricks up your sleeve, or do you just flip glasses around?"
Bastien De Rosieres
the Dionysian

Change author:

Bastien found himself smiling at Edrei's snarky comebacks, enjoying talking to someone with some wit in her. He did move some of the bottles closer to 'his' side of the bar though, worrying that from the sounds of it Edrei would drink them out of any supply for the night within hours. He had limited himself to two drinks a night and had so far kept to it, and knew if Edrei was drinking more he would easily be tempted to as well.

"Somehow, I am not surprised you just took a drink for yourself." He commented quietly, chuckling. At least he had had the politeness to order.

When asked if he had any tricks, he grinned. He rarely was given such a wonderful opportunity to show off here. Keeping it simple at first, he took a couple of steps back to make sure he wouldn't kick the bar, then held out his arms, took a breath and launched into a backflip. Managing to land on his feet he came back up to the applause of a few patrons at the bar.

"Not so old now, hm?"

BASTIEN

Edrei Launceleyn
the Rapacious

Change author:
edy
Quirking a brow, the teenager grinned up at him. "Because I'm clearly such a self-started, right?" She beamed. Clearly it was that, and not because she had loose morals or simply did what she pleased.  

Watching as he backed up, the teenager crossed her arms challengingly. She had the attention span of a goldfish, so this had better be good. As Bastien extended his arms she tilted her head skeptically, but as he launched himself nimbly backwards, Edy found herself adding to the delighted applause.

"Nah you're still old." Edy cackled with a happy mischief sparkling in her dark eyes. "But your bones aren't giving out on you—" Her eyes dropped unequivocally towards his belt before bouncing back upwards. "—most of them anyways."
Bastien De Rosieres
the Dionysian

Change author:

He was pleased to have gotten some approval from Edy (although he did wonder when he had become so starved of affection he desired the approval of a teenager). With an exaggerated bow he smiled around at those who had joined in with her applause and leaned back against the wall. To his horror he was slightly out of breath, but he did his best to hide it.

He scoffed at her comment, following her eyes downwards. "I assure you all of my bones - yes, even that one - are in good order, Grazie mille. Not that you'll be finding out." Stepping forward to serve another customer he ignored her for a moment to perform tricks for them and get their order.

When they left, he looked back over to her. "So. I assume you are one like me, plucked from somewhere other than this and left to fend for yourself? I would love to hear what place could produce such a person." He did actually admire Edy for being so put together, assuming she was an Outlander - at 32 he had found the experience harrowing enough and could not imagine being anywhere at all ready for it as a teenager.

BASTIEN

Edrei Launceleyn
the Rapacious

Change author:
edy
"Eyyy, at your age you should be keeping your options open." Edy chuckled, folding her arms around her torso with a laugh. And as far as old guys went, Bastien wasn't half bad looking. And his weirdo accent? Well, Edy was sort of into it. She didn't know what half of the things he was calling her meant, but not did she particularly care.

Raising a brow, Edy looked to see if there was offense meant by categorizing her the way he had. It wouldn't be the first time someone had asked about her past in order to know how someone as fucked up and obnoxious as her could be produced, but for perhaps the first time this didn't seem to have that sort of connotation. That, or maybe her drink was stronger than she thought.

"Uhh. It was a place called Northaven. Well, actually there was a place called Northwind before that, it got attacked, some of us portalled into this new land we named Northaven...you could only come over if you had a legit sort of job. You know, soldier, teacher, politician...something that would help us get a new society up and running. But basically it was a mess." With a casual shrug, Edy took another long sip of her drink and sighed. "You can just throw a bunch of twenty-somethings into a new world, tell them to start a society and pump out a bunch of kids and expect that to go well, y'know?"
Bastien De Rosieres
the Dionysian

Change author:

"I have plenty of options without dipping this low." He quipped back with a smirk, though it was somewhat false; he had been surprised how much he had missed his many loves back in Venice now that he had arrived here. Though, he assured himself, if he looked for it he could find plenty of willing suitors in his world.

Edrei seemed suspicious of his question but answered anyway - he gave an encouraging smile which faded as she spoke. It sounded familiar, somehow, but in the moment he couldn't quite grasp hold of the exact memory in his mind.

"...Like the Garden of Eden, almost." He commented quietly at first, without even really noticing he said it out loud. Edrei seemed displeased with the situation she'd been in but Bastien found himself wondering if it wouldn't be a wonderful fresh start, the artsy commune he'd long dreamt of. Still, he wouldn't praise the idea for the sake of their relationship.

Once he had properly processed what she was telling him he spoke again: "So what was your job? Or were you too young? You are not a twenty-something, I don't think."

BASTIEN