To Fly You Must Fall
Hotaru Kaito
the Valkyrie
Masseuse / Headmistress

Age: 33 | Height: 5'2 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: King's End
Level: 3 - Strg: 38 - Dext: 38 - Endr: 54 - Luck: 40 - Int:
Played by: Brit Offline
Change author:
MP: 9667
This place is a coffin, with ghosts that seem to laugh and croon at her from the walls as she slides inside away from the heat of the sun. A place she had never wanted to go, but one she feels she must. Deimos has enough on his plate, and with an inquisitive teenager in her home and a general aversion to intoxication, Hotaru does not have a stash of her own with which to drown herself. After the quest that had delivered them to the hidden group of cannibals in the mines of Whitebrim, she certainly needs a drink anyway.

When she hesitates in the doorway, Hotaru curses herself. She is not a cowardly woman, and insecurity does not suit her. Her jaw flexes as she strides towards one of the corner tables, not wanting to attract direct attention at the bar as she sets her drafting pad down and settles primly in the seat provided. It is easier to calm her nerves as she begins sketching new ideas for a summer line for her shop, though she is still far too aware of every soul that moves about in the bar. Her own feels ragged and raw from her meeting with Deimos, but at least she feels settled in her skin once more. More human than before.

As she sketches she leans back into her chair, pencil tapping at her lips as she considers the paper before her. Perhaps a swim line? The maiden smirks to herself at the idea of cultivating a desire for swimming among the locals, if only to promote her own shop and see lovely bodies wearing her designs. So thinking, she lowers her pencil to the paper and begins adding a few options, happy to distract herself in this way while she gathers the courage to potentially face the man she is avoiding to get herself a drink.
be gentle my little thunderstorm
the world is just not ready

Table Code by Sky!
Hotaru has a passive magic that makes her glow with an internal golden light; it makes her appear youthful and her hair seems to look like moving sunlight. Can only subtly illuminate dark spaces.
Maea Valair
Hollowed Grounds Ambassador / Loreseeker

Age: 29 | Height: 156 cm / 5'1 ft | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 4 - Strg: 22 - Dext: 22 - Endr: 25 - Luck: 21 - Int:
Played by: Chan Offline
Change author:
MP: 1917
Maea
Big dreamers shoot for open skies
She'd spent the better part of the day immersed in work. With a stack of books piled high on the table before her, Maea was determined to catch up on all the lessons she'd missed in her long absence from the guild. Hidden behind her wall of words and well shielded by the deep frown of concentration on her face, she'd been spared any attempts to converse by the people that came and went. But as the afternoon dragged on and the place began to fill up, the volume grew too loud for her to focus.

Setting her pen and ink aside, she blew on the latest page of careful notes and set it aside to dry. Looking about, the white-haired girl nodded to a few locals she recognized, and spotted a relatively new face make its way through the room, towards a table next to hers. Maea knew her name, and recognized the face, but that's about it - she'd seen Hotaru kiss Sunjata on the day of his wedding, and shrug her way through the nerve-wracking horrors of the Halo mine. A cold fish, she determined, and offered the woman a shy smile in greeting.

♦ Violence, magic, thievery is permitted with Maea at all times. DM me if you have any ideas ♦
Hotaru Kaito
the Valkyrie
Masseuse / Headmistress

Age: 33 | Height: 5'2 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: King's End
Change author:
It's not until she lowers her pencil back to the table and settles into her chair to gaze across the room does she notice the pale woman from the recent expedition they had both been on. Names had never been officially presented, but she at least recalls the reunion between the lass and her apparent friend, the name the redhead had choked out when the human remains had been discovered. At the demure smile she is offered, Hotaru smiles warmly back, and on a whim stands and collects her supplies to walk over towards the other woman. "Maea, right? Mind some company?"

Her eyes flicker briefly over Maea's work, curious more than anything and as such not lingering long on the penmanship that dries on the parchment. A little company is exactly what she needs while she avoids thinking about how her life has turned upside down recently, and the frost-touched woman is certainly a curiosity in her own right. Enough to keep Hotaru's attention, and perhaps lead to another friendship in this strange little settlement.

Table Code by Sky!
Hotaru has a passive magic that makes her glow with an internal golden light; it makes her appear youthful and her hair seems to look like moving sunlight. Can only subtly illuminate dark spaces.
Maea Valair

Age: 29 | Height: 156 cm / 5'1 ft | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
Maea
The woman smiled back, and stood. Maea was a little surprised to see her come over, but inclined her head at the question. "Not at all. Please... Hotaru, right? Jigano mentioned your name before the... ah.. expedition."

She began moving her books out of the way, clearing enough space for her guest and any items she might bring along. Maea eyed the sketchbook with the same passing interest, though perhaps stared a little extra as it was covered not in words, but drawn pictures. Quite good too, though she did not understand the shockingly indecent pieces of garment that showed off practically all skin.

"Want something to drink, or eat?" she offered. She'd made herself quite at home at the inn, especially after she'd gotten over her initial intimidation towards the proprietor. Most of the time she spent at her room, but it was growing increasingly common to find her like this, surrounded by books and papers in a quiet corner.

♦ Violence, magic, thievery is permitted with Maea at all times. DM me if you have any ideas ♦
Hotaru Kaito
the Valkyrie
Masseuse / Headmistress

Change author:
Hotaru's smile eases at the simple acceptance of her imposition, settling gracefully in the seat across from Maea as she patiently waits for room to set her sketchbook down. "Got it in one," she assures with a playful wink, glad that at least she hasn't left Maea in the awkward position of not knowing her name in kind. As she settles and their eyes rove over each other's work, Hotaru smiles kindly and taps her fingertips against one of the swimsuit designs. "I have a seam shop in town, and I'm considering making swimsuits for LongHeat. What do you think?" Perhaps a tad forward, but outside opinions are always invaluable to the woman. Fresh eyes were vital in any project, and perhaps she was a little vain in seeking some validation for the idea.

Blinking slightly in surprise at the offer, Hotaru crosses her legs and smiles, reclining against the back of the chair. "If it won't get you in trouble," she concedes playfully. "Perhaps something to drink? Your choice." Today was already turning out to be a day of firsts, why not try something new?

Table Code by Sky!
Maea Valair

Change author:
Maea
First impression of a second meeting? Easy smiles, open trust, and laughter without effort. All things that put Maea at ease, that made her smile back. Hers was a guarded one, not quite so trusting, all too ready to withdraw should the invite turn to mockery or scorn. All the same, when the books were neatly stacked again and the papers placed safely out of harms way, she held a hand for the sketches to have a closer look.

"May I?" She had no real concept of what a 'swimsuit' should be like, though the word implied movement in water and was easy enough to understand in context. Maea looked at the sketches, the different designs, and found that though they were appealing on the bodies, they were still... quite scandalous.

"Honest word? They're pretty, but look too much like underwear. You'd never get parents to let their daughters wear anything of the sort. Not the boys either, for that matter." Her smile was a little rueful, not meaning to cause offense... but she was not one to lie when asked for her opinion either.

"Of course. Just a moment..." Waving over one of the serving staff, Maea placed an order for drinks and watched the waiter disappear off again through the crowd. Then her attention returned to Hotaru, pale eyes studying the woman with quiet interest.

Hotaru Kaito
the Valkyrie
Masseuse / Headmistress

Change author:
A soft assenting hum is Maea's response, happily turning over her sketches for the woman to look over. Content to sit in the comfortable silence that seeps into the space between them, glancing around the bar to better take it in now that she feels more secure with another person at her side. Maea's response draws her attention back, and she laughs softly at the kind criticism. "Oh that's a good point, I usually unintentionally market to more...mature audiences," she purrs with a dramatic waggle of her eyebrows. "In the previous worlds I've been in, it was common to make it like underwear for the sake of making your skin more tan from the sun, or for showing off." Another secretive grin, but then her eyes fall back to her designs. Taking the sketchbook back she twirls her pencil in between her fingers before setting it on the page, sketching out a quick smaller form and outlining a one-piece design with some cute frills around the hips in a fun but concealing skirt. Even some loose draping pieces that connect from bust to shoulder and drape against the elbows. Turning it back around she taps it with the end of her pencil with a curious tilt to her brows. "Most men wear shorts that are of a better material for water, though I wonder if they'd be amenable to a full garment. Is this more child friendly you think?" She would certainly let her own daughter wear it at least.

Maea waves down an employee to place their order, and Hotaru sets her pencil down and rolls it back and forth idly across the table's surface. When they are left alone once more, she tils her head curiously at the other woman. "So, me utilizing your opinion aside, I'm curious. Tell me about yourself." What had driven her to the mines with Jigano? She is clearly accustomed to the ins and outs of the bar, is she a frequent customer? Hotaru is a curious little cat, and Maea is full of so many fun secrets to discover.

Table Code by Sky!
Maea Valair

Change author:
Maea
Curious to see an artist at work, Maea watched the additions and changes to the design with keen interest. Hotaru held the pen with ease, the strokes flowing with a casual grace that suggested more practice than was worth talking about. Considering the implications of what kind of clothes the woman usually might design if this was the modest version made a touch of color rise on her face; Maea coughed a little and made sure to focus on the paper and pen so it wouldn't be so obvious.

The added changes had the girl nod in approval, a little smile growing as she pointed to the fabric suggested about the shoulders.

"Yes, much better. I especially like this part. If you want more mature women to wear it too, I'd suggest making a version with slightly longer skirt... I can't imagine the old mothers would be very keen to flaunt their legs."

The inquiry about who she was took her slightly aback. It was such a wide, broad question that Maea had no idea where to begin. Fortunately the employee returned quickly with the drinks, and she had a moment to think as mugs of frothing cider was placed before them.

"Hope you don't mind apples," she said, a little distracted as she motioned for her guest to partake and enjoy. "I don't... know that there's much to say. I'm a Loreseeker in the Guild. I grew up on a farm in the Fields. But... well, I couldn't run it by myself, so right now I'm staying here. For a time."

Picking up the mug she took a sip, welcoming both the excuse not to speak and the full, familiar taste of her brother's brew. It was nostalgic, as mostly everything these days.

Hotaru Kaito
the Valkyrie
Masseuse / Headmistress

Change author:
Attention drawn by the soft cough Maea gives, Hotaru grins slightly at the color rising in her cheeks, leaning forward slightly on her free elbow to prop up her chin and take up space between them. "What's getting you all flustered, beautiful?" For such an adventurous and kindhearted gal, Hotaru is a little surprised that she's blushing over drawn figures - even if they are of scantily clad women. "Hopefully when I'm of that age I'll still be proud to show all my saggy bits," she teases with a soft laugh, but obligingly makes another waist-down model to sketch out some leggings and a long wave-edged skirt for two alternate options. Though Hotaru doubts she'll live long enough to achieve that considering how she plunges headfirst into nonsense all the time, she hopes that she will never be embarrassed to show her body. That which has held her through all trials, has birthed children and shielded loved ones. Though she can't judge those wishing to preserve themselves, it's not something she can say she understands.

Cider interrupts her thoughts, and she gives an appreciative 'ooh' as she inspects it visually before diving in. It's cold and delicious, and the woman practically purrs with delight. "Oh, you've certainly got me hooked on this now you little devil." It's fruity and tangy, and she likes it quite a lot. Certainly easier to stomach than the burn of harsher alcohols that have found their place in her home and in Deimos' cabinet as well. Though that's the purpose of the bar she supposes. Intricate, rarer drinks for paying patrons. Maea's recounting of her life is brief but intriguing all the same. "I think you're one of the first Naturals I've ever really met. So you were here when the barrier fell?" Something that had already fallen by the time she arrived, but whose impact is still felt every day in the Grounds, even by her as an Outlander.

Table Code by Sky!
Maea Valair

Change author:
Maea
The little flirtations confused Maea, made her far more flustered than she felt she ought. The way Hotaru spoke was open and frank in a way the pale girl wasn't used to, and the way she flushed at it made her seem far younger than her actual years. Her diminutive size certainly did not help either. Trying to stave off teasing she merely smiled awkwardly and shook her head, trying to wave the question off, distract with something else.

"Thank you, she said to the compliment of the drinks. "It's my family's make... used to be our main source of income." There was a pride to the way she said it, though sadness also mingled - it was a thing of the past now, and once these kegs Sunjata had received were gone, there would never be more of it. "I was here at the time, yes. And before it was ever considered possible that it could. I grew up in a cage, convinced I would never see the what the outside world looked like." She shrugged, knowing most of the others who sat in the bar were the same. Many of them had still not left their homes, refusing to cross that old border even now.

Hotaru Kaito
the Valkyrie
Masseuse / Headmistress

Change author:
Hotaru gives a dramatized pout as the fair girl waves away her flirtations, eyes still alight with warm mirth lest Maea think she has scorned her. "Alright, keep your secrets darling." She parts with a wink, knowing when her advances are unwanted and not wanting to make her tentative new friend uncomfortable. Hotaru is aware that she is very forward and unabashed with her affections and flirtations, and has certainly suffered worse rejections than Maea's awkward silence.

A brow rises and Hotaru's gaze drops down to the colorful liquid, taking another sip as she contemplates the sad edge to the woman's words. "You said you couldn't run the farm without help. What if I helped? Or some others, of course. It seems a shame to lose something like this." Part of her recoils internally at offering herself, at being so selfless and kind. Terrified, as always, of baring her heart in any way. It seems a bit backwards for her to fear this when she's the one offering, but all the same it's like revealing that she's growing fond of the other woman in any way. "At least you're no longer caged. Have you explored Halo yet?" There's no other comfort she can verbally give Maea, not for old wounds and history that Hotaru was never here for. But at least they can both look to the future.

Table Code by Sky!
Maea Valair

Change author:
Maea
Was it really a rejection? And what secrets - that she would be made scarlet in the face beyond what any amounts of cider or LongHeat sweat should allow if Hotaru continued to tease? It was far too awkward to admit that she had not even been kissed until only a few days ago... and the topic of whom she'd been with then was a can of worms she wanted to keep firmly locked up, never to look at again. So the little smile she gave Hotaru at the sight of the pout was a touch rueful, a little shy. Nothing personal, just... there would never quite be a time or place suitable enough for that kind of talk.

The offer of help surprised her quite thoroughly however, and it took the girl a moment to realize that it was quite sincere. "I... that's very kind if you. It really is... but.. I've more or less decided to sell it to the Medical College. They could use the land, and I would know it would be cared for. But I truly appreciate your offer. Thank you." Pale eyes warmed into something akin to color as they considered the woman. A touch of blue, or purple maybe - something kind and appreciative, drawn out by the offered honesty.

"Mh, in a way. I've been to the Tundra and made a trip to the city to look around... but aside from the expedition I just haven't had time. Too busy with guild work," she clarified. Eventually she would make sure to explore as much as possible however. It was part of why she worked so hard to earn her title as Loreseeker; to go off on her own, and bring home discoveries like Jigano did.

"What about you, do you travel much? You seemed... very confident to me, considering all we saw." Grimacing slightly, she recalled the gruesome discovery they'd made. Maea's reaction to it that had been far more visceral than Hotaru's, to put it gently.

Hotaru Kaito
the Valkyrie
Masseuse / Headmistress

Change author:
Though her curiosity remains unabated, the pervading silence rolls off her skin easily and she meets Maea's reserved smile with a reassuring one of her own. As she does she finds herself considering the fact that while her manipulative lifestyle is far from behind her, Hotaru enjoys these threads she casts out to those she meets. Sometimes they are reeled in over time, becoming closer to family, and sometimes she merely enjoys them while she can until they become useful to her. It's far from an idyllic or healthy lifestyle, but she finds she quite enjoys the woman's company while she's able to enjoy it without any further strings attached.

Settling back into her chair she gives a warm smile and nods her head understandingly. "A courageous thing to do, with the ties you have to it. Have you sorted what you'll do for the future?" Surely she can't live on the farm at the same time? And though Hotaru is secure in how to make her own living now, being a Natural is likely harder to move on from talents and skills passed down and preserved from youth. While a tenacious girl, Hotaru wonders what exactly she plans on doing, how she intends to get by. Perhaps a little concerned, even.

She's not exactly surprised by the turn of the question to reflect back against her, but for a moment Hotaru isn't exactly sure what to say. "My home world was very...violent. It was summarily destroyed in a wave of destruction and an opened portal. I ended up traveling through many different worlds and portals, and many of them were similarly harsh. Such sights lose their weight eventually." Even the most empathetic of souls grow cold and scarred to the harsh reality of such things when subjected to them constantly. But Hotaru doesn't mention the uncleanliness of her own hands, the shadows that reside in her heart. "I was searching for my family for so long, I suppose somewhere along the line it turned into adventuring. It's a bit addictive," she teases with a soft laugh. Unwilling to admit that after having a kingdom, a family of unrelated souls, for most of her life...the idea of permanence is a knife to her wounded heart. She stays because of her shop, because of Cassandra, but it is all that roots her here in the Grounds.

Table Code by Sky!
Maea Valair

Change author:
Maea
Maea pondered the question for a moment, sipping on her cider to buy time. Pale eyes were watching Hotary thoughtfully over the rim as the woman went on to explain her circumstances... and softened at the tale of loss and lonely wanderings. Warmed, because those were things she could relate to. Felt keenly, even now.

"I've joined the Loreseeker's guild" she said, choosing to answer the question before it would get lost, buried in words. An intentional tardiness, in this case. "Was invited over a year ago, and I suppose I did pose as a member, but I was so preoccupied with my farm, trying to salvage things... This time I'm letting it go, to focus on studying, training... traveling."

It was rather the opposite of Hotaru's tale. Adventure had been thrust upon her, while Maea was actively leaping into it, headfirst and leaving no options of return.

"I have yet to sort out my living situation, don't know where I'll end up yet... but I'm open to options. So, well. If you ever want company, I'd be happy to come along." It would certainly be educational to have someone around who did not flinch from things. Hotaru seemed like just such a person.