To Fly You Must Fall
Hotaru Kaito
the Valkyrie
Masseuse / Headmistress

Age: 33 | Height: 5'2 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: King's End
Level: 4 - Strg: 40 - Dext: 40 - Endr: 57 - Luck: 40 - Int:
Played by: Brit Offline
Change author:
MP: 9347
At least the name is familiar to her, a small victory that she cherishes as a newcomer to this land. "With Jigano, right? Is that how he got his hooks into you for the expedition?" There's no bite to her teasing, as she'd been lured in just as easily by the bard. "Improving yourself is important. And all the more appealing with the barrier having fallen I suppose. Is it the knowledge or the newness that you seek?" Her pen taps against her paper to underscore her inquiry. So many different types in the Loreseekers...what is that Maea is looking for out there that she can't find in her childhood home or the vestiges of her own blossoming personality?

The offer is appreciated, and Hotaru hums and smiles and titters about at the idea. "I'm certainly a traveler, and you'd be welcome to accompany me anywhere. My magic hasn't fully returned to me from my past, but I could help keep us safe. Deimos would have my head if I wasn't fully trained in every manner of blade and bow," she admits with a genial laugh, recalling harsh days of training and his blunt way of moving past her whining complaints. If that is a concern of Maea's of course. She only assumes due to the woman's reaction to the body parts they had found. "And if you need a place to stay, my shop is always open. I have a spare room that's easy enough to set up." Cassandra would probably die of joy over having any other living soul (or at least one that could talk) stay over.
be gentle my little thunderstorm
the world is just not ready

Table Code by Sky!
Hotaru has a passive magic that makes her glow with an internal golden light; it makes her appear youthful and her hair seems to look like moving sunlight. Can only subtly illuminate dark spaces.
Maea Valair
Hollowed Grounds Ambassador / Loreseeker

Age: 30 | Height: 156 cm / 5'1 ft | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 5 - Strg: 22 - Dext: 22 - Endr: 27 - Luck: 23 - Int:
Played by: Chan Offline
Change author:
MP: 2197
Maea
Big dreamers shoot for open skies
The conversation was clearly moving into territories that sparked the girl's interest, because she leaned forward as she replied to the barrage of questions, eyes bright with eagerness.

"Yes, he asked me to come along soon after I came back," she said, laughing at the little barb towards the bard; she'd been the one asking for something to do, and had honestly been surprised when he let her come along on such a potentially dangerous trip. Honored though, and more than a little proud. "For the rest... it's a bit of both. Mainly I want to learn more about medicine, since I've been sick so much myself, but it's also the freedom. A whole world out there is just waiting to be found, how could I possibly sit here and live in peace without seeing it, even once? "

It had been a dream since she was little. To travel, go on adventures, be the hero with the shining sword who was granted boons by the gods and did great deeds... usually for the good of others. As she grew up the reality of her prison had put a damper on them, made her almost forget, nearly give up. But now? All of them were flaring back to life again, like a smoldering pyre stocked with more wood.

"I've asked Deimos for instructions myself, and Sunjata agreed to help me train... but what I really need is better equipment. Everything I own is either threadbare or rotting in a destroyed house." She grimaced down onto her dress - the only one she had, because she'd been wearing it when she disappeared.

Looking up at Hotaru, the slim fair-haired girl smiled. "You wouldn't be interested in filling my wardrobe for me? I've got funds, all of a farm really, so if you've time for commissions...?" It'd give her a good excuse to come back and talk to her again, too. Maea found she rather enjoyed Hotaru's company, and not only because she'd been given compliments and offers of help. She was beautiful and strong and brave, and still had the kindness of heart to smile at someone like Maea... It was quite dazzling.

♦ Violence, magic, thievery is permitted with Maea at all times. DM me if you have any ideas ♦
Hotaru Kaito
the Valkyrie
Masseuse / Headmistress

Age: 33 | Height: 5'2 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: King's End
Change author:
A brow lifts curiously at the mentions of a sickly past. "Are you mentoring beneath the College, then? Or seeking out other remedies beyond the Grounds?" If she had gifted her family land to them, it would only be fair for continual care to be a stipulation of the change in ownership. Not to mention education if she so desired it.

It's not something she doesn't understand, she had traveled all of Helovia in her time - sometimes unwilling she recalls with no small degree of amusement, recalling when she had been stolen away into the desert. After losing her home, an entire world that she had been born and raised in, adventure isn't quite the same. At least Maea had honorable reasons for exploration. Though admittedly Hotaru isn't surprised that they differ in this way. Maea seems far more morally straight than herself.

Sunjata's name makes her insides cold with distaste, but she doesn't let it show. Instead she lets herself be drawn in by the idea of a plentiful commission, and she takes another sip of her drink before setting it down with a bright grin. "Interested? Oh darling I'd be delighted. Do you only want seasonal clothes or something for training and defense too? I can do padded clothes, armor, whatever you'd be interested in. I'm sure I can ask Deimos what he wants for you as well." And if Maea notices that she wouldn't ask Sunjata, well. Frankly she doesn't care about the man's so-called battle prowess, not when Deimos is clearly the superior in that field.

Table Code by Sky!
Hotaru has a passive magic that makes her glow with an internal golden light; it makes her appear youthful and her hair seems to look like moving sunlight. Can only subtly illuminate dark spaces.
Maea Valair

Age: 30 | Height: 156 cm / 5'1 ft | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
Maea
"Oh, well... I hope to do both, in time. It's a bit early to think of either, to be honest. I've a lot to learn still, starting with the very basics." She gestured to the books with a rueful little smile; it was clear from the titles and the scribbled pages that Maea still was very much in the process of bettering her letters. Reading, writing; of course she could study things while doing this, but leaping into complex medical texts was a bit beyond her at the moment.

Hotaru seemed only too keen to take on her offer, and Maea smiled brightly at her in return. Glad to see the offer so gleefully accepted.

"Honest word? I need everything," she admitted, with a little grimace. "All I could salvage from the farm in terms of clothing was this dress and a change I've been using for training. My brothers old leftovers. The rest was too damaged by water to use anymore." Hence the threadbare condition of it. For all that it was neat and clean, the thing was old and worn, and far from practical.

"I'd be happy to give you free hands in design... as long as it's not too colorful." She poked her tongue out, a little abashed by the affectionate term she'd been called by. Maea found it somewhat ironic, coming from such a beautiful woman to someone like herself.

♦ Violence, magic, thievery is permitted with Maea at all times. DM me if you have any ideas ♦
Hotaru Kaito
the Valkyrie
Masseuse / Headmistress

Change author:
"We all have to start somewhere," she agrees as she takes a drink and shamelessly licks the edge of the glass to catch a stray drop. "My aunt was a master in poisons, so I can't quite help with the beneficial side of it." Her smile turns sheepish at the confession. Whether or not Hotaru would even be a good teacher in a general sense is another consideration. Exploring is likely a better use of the woman's time presently, especially if other medicinally minded people or groups exist in the new realms opening up. But from what she had said, she'd certainly need more than two meager articles of clothing if she wanted to continue adventuring about.

"You sure you wanna give me free reign on design?" Her grin turns playful as she taps her fingers against the swimsuit designs still beneath her fingers. "I hear the new area is quite hot, how comfortable are you with flaunting some skin beautiful?" No matter how pretty she may find Maea, at least Hotaru is aware that not everyone is so keen on showing off. Only further emphasized by their very first exchange at this table. "I can definitely do some more subdued colors though. You'd look stunning in some muted blues, maybe a few deep reds. Something that won't readily show dirt or damage in daily wear, we'll avoid lighter shades." Maybe some lighter shades and colors for lesser worn garments or summer-specific items. Already her mind is whirring, keen eyes flitting over Maea's body and imagining certain cuts and trends on her.

Table Code by Sky!
Maea Valair

Change author:
Maea
A poison crafter? That made the girls eyes widen, surprise mingling with slight.. was it awe, or terror? She was decidedly impressed, at any rate, and glad that the conversation was moving on to other things.

The point Hotaru made was well taken, and Maea blushed, squirming slightly under the intimate stare at her body. In her own opinion there wasn't much to look at - small, skinny, pasty white and boring - but if the designs on the sketchpad was anything to go by, this woman would make the best of what there was to work with.

"Ah, well... see, I don't really do well in the sun," she tried to explain, trying very hard not to become flustered under another one of those little flirtations (too late, of course). "I don't tan, so I get badly burned sometimes... It's better for everyone if I cover up." No flaking skin or terrible blisters to gawp at, or endure. Already her face was red and peeling, and the season was not even halfway through yet.

"I do like those colors though. And white, though I know it's not practical." The dress she currently wore had clearly been among her finer garments once upon a time, with carefully crafted lines and little embroidered details here and there. Sadly worn out, even though it should have been saved for special days.

Of course, compared to what Hotaru might be used to, it was rather plain. Almost drab - traditional Hollowed Ground fashion.

Hotaru Kaito
the Valkyrie
Masseuse / Headmistress

Change author:
Threading her fingers together the woman steeples them below her chin, smiling comfortingly at the girl despite the ravenous sheen to her gaze. "Oh we could work with that. You're not the first I've met with skin so sensitive to the sun. Have you considered parasols? Fashionable umbrellas that keep the sun off your skin?" Already she is considering options. "You'd have to hold them with at least one hand unless you'd be willing to try wide-brimmed hats. It would let you explore for more comfortably." After being trapped so long she certainly deserves as much freedom as Hotaru can provide her.

Tilting her head, heterochromic eyes flit over the current dress the other woman is wearing. "Hmm...what if we meet in the middle? I could do some layered options with white beneath an outer layer, or white embroidery. Some floral designs on dresses, a pop of it so that even if it dirties it will still stand out." If it's what Maea likes then the seamstress will take it into consideration. Never let it be said that she ignored customer desires, even if some modifications would be necessary for the future adventuring garb.

Table Code by Sky!
Maea Valair

Change author:
Maea
Maea did consider that. Thought of Rexanna and her parasol, the elegant and casual way the queen carried it around.

"Not sure, I like to use my hands freely," she admitted. "Might not have the poise for it either... Most likely I'd stab someone's eye out with a quick turn. Hats are a good option, I think that might work better. And I've always liked shawls."

She indicated the one she wore now, ragged and black, of a material that wasn't quite like anything else. Lightweight but strong, nearly flowing in the wind... rather spooky looking too. Pulling it up, she draped the cloth over her head and looked at Hotaru with a slightly mischievous smile from under the folds; they fell softly around her face, and if anything she looked ghostlike. A small spirit gone astray to the vivid world of man.

"Hm... I probably prefer plain pieces, without too much flair. But layers are good!"" No one should ever say that she couldn't compromise! She was an adept trader, after all. Hotaru would get what she was owed when the affair was done, but not without a little struggle.

Hotaru Kaito
the Valkyrie
Masseuse / Headmistress

Change author:
Hotaru's delight is evident on her face as she laughs at Maea's words. "That may be a bonus! Protection from the sun and any troublemakers." Mismatched eyes twinkle with humor as she envisions such clumsy but useful defenses. Someone getting their eye poked out from one of her parasols would be the height of achievement for Hotaru. "I could do shawls as well, something light but tightly woven for the sun, and something thick and warm for the cold. Maybe even a separate half-detachable portion to cover your nose and lips." Not her normal fare, but an intriguing idea. Perhaps it would help her from getting her lips chapped or further blisters on her nose and cheeks, the most common areas for sunburn.

As Maea pulls her current shawl up, Hotaru grins as she takes in the rather spooky display it creates. "Quite an aesthetic you have there," she compliments, enjoying the dichotomy of light and dark she poses. "I'll have to sketch you someday." It has been quite a while since she has broken out her materials for something wholly artistic, but it's still an appealing idea.

Table Code by Sky!
Maea Valair

Change author:
Maea
Maea only laughed and nodded, imagining the terrible havoc she might wreak on innocent bystanders with a slight wince. But if Rexanna could manage it, then... perhaps Maea might as well? Even if she was nowhere near the queen in beauty of poise... It couldn't hurt to try.

"Maybe one, then," she conceded, with a little smirk tugging at her mouth. "For stabbing purposes, if nothing else."

She was happy to agree with pretty much anything Hotaru suggested as long as it didn't end up too garish or revealing. Allowing the folds of the shawl fall back from her hair, the girl reached for her cup again, hoping to drown both her blush and the confusion in cider. Sketch her? She couldn't imagine there was much to draw at all. A simple white sheet of paper was a fair enough representation of her, after all.

"I don't know... if you want to? Though I've never... I mean, no one's ever asked me to... do anything like that before."  Maea wasn't sure what to make of it.

Hotaru Kaito
the Valkyrie
Masseuse / Headmistress

Change author:
Hotaru taps her instrument against the paper with a satisfactory 'thud' as if sealing the deal when Maea laughs and agrees, her own grin bright and mischievous. "Then it's settled, at least one parasol for defense purposes. I'll have to broaden my shop offerings soon enough this way. Weaponized alterations!" Not that Maea needs to know how she has done so to her own clothing and held items, they aren't readily available to the public after all. Hotaru is simply a different, more violent breed.

Her blush is expected, but the severity of her shyness still takes Hotaru off guard. She is reminded sorrowfully of how she had cried into a lake as a child in Helovia, swiping away her reflection with a cry of injustice at how she had been constructed. Ugly, mismatched. Nothing like her shining diamond of a mother or her perfectly replicated twin. Though she has come so far, Maea's reaction is not so different from the one Hotaru might have had back then. It spurs her to reach forward with a gentle hand to try and touch the back of Maea's, expression the most sincere she has worn this entire time. "I would love nothing more. You are quite beautiful Maea, do not doubt that."

Table Code by Sky!
Maea Valair

Change author:
Maea
Maea hadn't thought the little jest would be taken quite so seriously, but the more she thought about a hidden weapon disguised as sun protection, the more she liked the idea. So she nodded her consent, happy to see Hotaru smile as well, and was a little startled to feel her stomach flutter at the sight. And it only grew more intense when the woman leaned in, capturing her hand and gaze and pretty much every last bit of attention Maea possessed.

There was a slight urge to run, at that point. To tear herself free and stand and retreat back to her room where no one would see her blush or perhaps know that her pulse had begun to race. But that would be terribly rude, and ridiculous since all Hotaru did was give her compliments, it was just... so very difficult to accept them. To believe them... or indeed trust that this wasn't a massive prank.

But her gaze was sincere, and Maea met her eyes. Realized they were of different colors... and couldn't quite bring herself to look away.

"T-thank you," she mumbled, lips feeling a little numb. "I-I... think you're... very beautiful too."

Oh, if only the ground could open up and swallow her now. That would be great.

Hotaru Kaito
the Valkyrie
Masseuse / Headmistress

Change author:
Sensing the woman's distress at her own forward nature, Hotaru pauses, but does not yet retreat. Letting Maea decide her boundaries, determine what is and isn't acceptable. In the end her hand is not rejected, nor her compliments. All in all a success then! Hotaru lets her weight settle on the top of the table when it's apparent Maea does not intend to turn away, her smile beckoning.

The words that fall from the maiden's lips are tremulous at best, but no less sweet for their uncertain delivery. Hotaru croons softly in delight at the compliment, nimble fingertips dancing across the back of Maea's hand to squeeze gently. "You're very welcome, it seems you need to be told such things much more frequently dear." The best cure for disbelief and discomfort in the face of compliments is exposure, or so Hotaru believes. Though she soon follows up with a wink and a coy tilt of her lips, unable to help herself from this small bit of flirtation. "Though I'm glad you think so. I'd swoop you up in a second if I thought I could," she laughs softly. Maea's reticence makes her think she is either not of the female inclination, or simply would not respond well to Hotaru's advances, but the woman isn't one to hide her thoughts and intentions out of respect for either of those.

Table Code by Sky!
Maea Valair

Change author:
Maea
Maea nearly stopped breathing. There was something warm and inviting in the other womans eyes, something that underlined her words in a way even Maea couldn't possibly misunderstand. Oh, her cheeks were red and her pulse racing, but for all that she was shy and awkward, there was something almost considering in the way she gazed back. Biting her lip, as if trying to decide what to do.

Would being swept up be all that terrible? Would hearing compliments - and giving them - really cost her anything, be too steep a price to pay for... whatever 'fun' it seemed Hotaru might be hinting at? Endless possiblities... and she let her hand linger under the touch for perhaps a little longer than she should.

Definitely not uninterested, no. Maea did not make difference in people like that. Beautiful was beautiful.

But a noise from the bar, the sound of a glass breaking and laughter, made her look up. Break the eyecontact. Quite without meaning to, she searched the bar to see who was in attendance, and felt a slight sinking in her stomach when she realized... who wasn't there. Strange... When had she begun to look for him in the crowd?

"I'm... sorry," she said softly, turning back to Hotaru. Her smile was a little regretful as she withdrew her hand, but the decline of the offer was undeniable. "There's... someone I.." Like? Have taken an interest in? It was quite difficult to put words on it, even more so because it was such a hopeless situation, Because Sunjata was still married at this point, and a lot of things had yet to be resolved, but...

"It wouldn't be fair. To you."