two bulbs shy and no light upstairs
Harper Quinn
the Stalwart
Teacher

Age: 33 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Nomadic
Level: 5 - Strg: 15 - Dext: 15 - Endr: 27 - Luck: 19 - Int:
Played by: Brit Offline
Change author:
MP: 9427
HARPER
Devastated cities and crumbling streets are not new sights for Harper, but they evoke a certain heavy-hearted recollection of such dire days. Dry dirt kicks up with every step, LongHeat (and what an odd word for summer, why do they feel the need to name everything?) having killed any moisture the ruins may have tried to cling to. He's probably going to be covered in the stuff by the time he returns to the manor, but that's an issue for Future Harper to deal with. For now there are far more interesting things to explore - number one being the collapsed in street that he ends up venturing upon.

Now, some people may say Harper doesn't think things through. That he's not the brightest bulb blah blah. If he didn't appreciate being underestimated he'd probably object that he was raised by a literal detective, but that's not the worry here. The point is that he knows exactly the kind of dangers he could be facing down that hole, but decides to jump in anyway. "Safrin please don't laugh at me if we meet again when I die doing this," he laughs aloud, recalling how she had promised to always be listening even if he whispered. The scorching heat and light doesn't pervade the rest of the tunnel, and he peers into the dark with his hands braced on his thighs, curious.
Libbs Walzek
Lockpick

Age: 27 | Height: 5'3" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 2 - Strg: 16 - Dext: 6 - Endr: 16 - Luck: 17 - Int:
Played by: Firebirb Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
LIBBS
Alright, so, Libbs was a very good hearted individual. A very good hearted one indeed. Generally, she was helpful, and she always wanting the best for anyone she ran across. That was simply the Libbs thing to do.

So, when a mysteriously young man decided to HOP INTO COMPLETE AND UTTER DARKNESS, Libbs definitely had reasons to be concerned. Definitely. In fact, one could say almost instantly! Libbs downright dropped about everything she was doing to figure out what the hell this man was doing. She was told to avoid the underground. There was a lot of spooky stuff down there. Not to mention, this guy went down without any sort of lightsource!! How was he going to see!?

She tentatively approached the entrance, and poked her head into it. "Hello?!" she asked into the darkness. Oh please, please don't make her go in. She bit her lip. Was she really the brave explorer type she thought she was?
one lil short quote goes here!
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
Harper Quinn
the Stalwart
Teacher

Age: 33 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Nomadic
Change author:
HARPER
Harper expects a lot once he jumps into the hole and goes walking in like an idiot. Monsters, squatters, maybe just some good old fashioned mold and musty smells. A young voice yelling at him from the entrance and echoing all up and down the cavern, scaring the living shits out of him, is not one of them. And while he will never admit to shrieking in surprise, Libbs will probably be the one to tell the truth there.

Still it at least makes him backtrack, the glare of the sun through the entrance leaving the girl a mere featureless shadow as he approaches. "Hello yourself!" he calls out as he closes the distance, wondering if she's going to come in or try to lure him out. He certainly doesn't want to re-burn his retinas, and he's feeling particularly playful already.
Libbs Walzek
Lockpick

Age: 27 | Height: 5'3" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:
LIBBS
"Hey!" Libbs frowned, her voice quavering a bit. She couldn't see, her eyes still adjusting to the darkness as she carefully tried to limber her way down a little further, stumbling a bit, and sliding down the debris. "EEP!" she squeaked, stiffening for a moment as she secured herself in her position on the ground.

Her eyes adjusted, and she found herself looking to a strange boy in front of her, not much younger then herself. Huh? Yes, that looked like the man who slipped down here. Still struggling to see in the dark, Libbs frowned, holding a hand in front of her face to gauge her distance. "Wh.. what are you doin' in here? Y'know, there's really dangerous things in here. You should uh, you should probably go back up!" she warned.
let's run off to costa rica
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
Harper Quinn
the Stalwart
Teacher

Change author:
HARPER
Whoever the girl is, she's got feet like a blind elephant, and Harper thinks it's absolutely adorable. Even if there wasn't one main way in and out he'd probably reliably be able to track her down by the debris she stumbles over and kicks up, and he wonders which will come first - her eyes adjusting enough to see his silhouette, or her running straight into him.

As she looks up from where she has ended up ass-over-teakettle, he grins in the dark back at her. First option it is then. He is far too used to being in the dark - wow that makes him sound edgy - to be daunted by it, so he comes closer and offers her a hand to try and help her up if she'll take it. "Are you one of those dangerous things then? I mean you are down here," he teases. Her concern is endearing, enough that he doesn't bother telling her that he's content to get mauled by whatever is down here because of his own idiocy. Gotta keep life fresh.
Libbs Walzek
Lockpick

Change author:
LIBBS
Libbs, of course, took his hand. Because in the darkness, any guide was helpful than none.

At that moment, Libbs just had to take a moment here. Because in that moment, she thought he was being genuinely serious here. And she was of course, not a dangerous thing. She was in fact, nothing more than a worried lady who was concerned about someone finding themselves in a bad spot of danger. "I.. I am not! Honest. I just- you know, you seem like a pretty nice guy.. I think.. Be a shame if you went off and died" she shrugged. Realistically, it's because she was just a good person. That was it. That was all. She didn't even know if these things were true about him. Just anything to keep yet another person for disappearing.

"Sides, what would your family do if you disappeared? Probably be sad. Very sad! That ain't good." she placed a hand on her hip. And in that, she tilted her head to Harper, frowning. "Whaddya say? Come out? We can.. I dunno. What are you doing here down here anyways?" she asked, looking forward at what she thinks is the man in question.
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
Harper Quinn
the Stalwart
Teacher

Change author:
HARPER
As her hand meets his own in the dark, Harper braces himself to pull her upright, though he likely doesn't need to considering he has probably deadlifted three times her weight in his sleep. It's tempting to just throw her over his shoulder like a reluctant potato sack and go gallivanting off into the dark, but some people frown upon that and call it kidnapping and some such nonsense. Harper likes to think of it as spontaneous adventuring with reluctant parties.

Shaking himself mentally from that little spiral he finds she's on her own, though hers is verbal and thus far more socially acceptable. He playfully gasps and his hand flies to his breast - not sure if she's really seeing any of this, but he has an image to uphold - and he grins at her boyishly. "Aww, I'm so glad you think I'm a nice guy! You're pretty nice yourself stranger, especially if you came sliding in here after me." The latter is said with far more sincerity and warmth. If she had been as fearful of the cavern as her shaking voice had implied, it was quite brave of her to enter it just to ensure he was okay.

The mention of family makes his smile break and tremble, but it's dark and he lets himself be a little slower in concealing it. "Well I thought to myself 'huh, that sure is a big hole, I wonder what's in there' and didn't think much past jumping after that," he admits with a laugh that echoes down into the dark. He pauses as it comes back sharp and wrong in their direction. "Okay yeah that's creepy, I'm down to leave." Without thinking he reaches out to hopefully pluck at her wrist, and goes confidently walking back towards the blinding light where the hole is. "Any ideas for better adventuring?" If she was going to defend his questionable continued existence, it was up to her to come up with a cooler past-time.
Libbs Walzek
Lockpick

Change author:
LIBBS
"Eh, don't give me too much credit.." she wavered a bit.

It rubbed her the wrong way. Libbs couldn't identify why, as generally, the compliments are very sincere, and thoughtful. She could hear it in her tone. But something about it made her itch, made her want to dig deep into her skin with as hard as her nails would go. But alas, she didn't show this too much, keeping her gaze to the ground as she continued to walk. She'd flash a smile at him, fake at best. But still, the effort was there.

"Y'know, if you're ever curious about stuff, you could always look it up at the Athenum. They.. have lots of books on stuff like this. I know, cause I had to use a few of them myself to find my way around." she scratched at her head. "I don't remember readin' anything about this hole. Though, I bet I know who to ask." Her thoughts went to Jigano, who had inadvertently become her personal smartphone. The voice assistant she didn't think to ask for. She admired him, and hoped to become as knowledgeable and confident, but for now, saving random men from dark, spooky holes was fine.

She felt a presence at her wrist, blinking. She looked to Harper, though, again, she couldn't see him that well. Oh. Well, it was dark. Probably best to hold hands to avoid getting lost. Not to mention, she could use him to uh, not fall on her ass again. So she entertained him, wrapping her hand around his wrist, until they managed to make it to the light. Which, of course, blinded her, and she blinked rapidly to try and adjust quicker.

She let go of his wrist, wiping at her eyes, speaking in between the glare. "I.. uh, dunno. I don't think that far ahead." she admitted. "I just didn't wanna see ya die. But, I mean, I guess I got some errands if you're really that bored. I don't know how I'll pay ya. But I can make some really cool things. And I can open locks. And uh.. I go into the woods and stuff a lot to find things. Cause some rocks, like sulfur, can do a lot of cool things if I can get a hold of 'em. Like fires that don't go out and stuff.." she mentioned dryly. She wasn't of course PLANNING on making sulfur bombs, but she was still trying to piece together the next part of her crack plan here. "Just gimme a sec.. I can't see."
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
Harper Quinn
the Stalwart
Teacher

Change author:
HARPER
Something sorrowful seems to come over her, and Harper regrets the lack of light in that moment. Wishes he could read the expression on her face, empathy rising like a tidal wave inside him. "It's not too much credit, it was very brave and kind of you to come looking for me." His sincerity is a force of nature all its own. Hopefully it will help soothe whatever she's feeling even if only partially. Fear is a great motivator, usually for staying away from creepy places like this, and he knows how hard it can be to move past that.

"I went there once and got yelled at by a kid for climbing and doing backflips off the bookcases," he admits with a chuckle, recalling the day fondly. Poor kid had nearly lost his lunch when Harper had dismounted. He wonders if anyone has found his footprints in the dust up there, or if they bother dusting at all that high. "I'm not much of a reader, can't stand to sit still. Which is why I go exploring creepy caves under broken streets!" The cheery chirp is lightly teasing, poking fun at himself for his own reckless nature. Caido is sure to chew him up and spit him out eventually, but he's the type to spatula himself off the ground and go back for seconds.

Wrists clutched, they find their way back to the light, and Harper hisses as it burns his eyes. It's distracting enough that he doesn't notice her dropping his hand, and only catches on that she's talking a few moments later. "No payment necessary for my savior," Harper gallantly replies. "I guess you're stuck with me for the day then. I'm more of an engineer myself, but I'm sure we can make something cool if we get bored." Chemistry had never stuck in his brain for long, far too many numbers and circles. So many circles. He blinks the light halos from his eyes and hooks his hands together, bending and offering them to Libbs. "I can boost you," he offers, already knowing it would be much harder for her to climb with her stature.
Libbs Walzek
Lockpick

Change author:
LIBBS
He said the magic word.

Engineer. There was another engineer in Caido. Which had Libbs practically breathless. She had so many questions to ask him. So many thoughts to share. Finally, someone who may actually understand the methods behind her rants, the concepts on her paper. They would understand why things had to be a certain way, and how gears worked. All of it was an extremely exciting prospect for the mechanic, whom, up until now? Thought she was alone! And as such, she nodded.

"Okay, you had me at engineer. I have questions I gotta ask you, but let's get out of here first." she iterated, taking the boost. She struggled here, trying to make herself as light as possible for him- she was a bit of a beefier girl after all being someone who hauled car parts around for most of her life. Grabbing the ledge, she started to climb gracelessly, finally getting some footing and looking up to the sky, blue and bright. "Man, that sky's gorgeous today." She then turned down to face him.

She reached for her bandana, knotting it, and leaning down with both of her arms to help him up as well. "By the way, if we die tryin' to get out of here, wanted ya to know. My name's Libbs."

"Mind if I get yours?"
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
Harper Quinn
the Stalwart
Teacher

Change author:
HARPER
With the light still semi-blinding him, Harper isn't quite aware of Libbs' reaction to his declaration, but her words at least register and prompt a soft chuckle from the man. "Alright first goal is freedom, then you can ask whatever you want." His laced fingers are positioned beneath her foot, and though she's certainly solid in mass he's used to catching free-falling adults from the sky, and it's more than easy enough to haul her up into the air to grab hold of the ledge. Her voice is a little distorted from above, but he shields his eyes and stares past the glare of the sun to the endless stretch of blue above. "It's beautiful, but we are going to roast." It's said pleasantly, though he's certainly no stranger to the sun considering his tan skin and multitude of freckles and moles. Sweat, however, is Public Enemy Number One.

He's used to climbing buildings more than cavern walls, but Libbs' help is surprisingly solid as he grasps for her and she begins to pull. "I've climbed buildings so hopefully this won't kill me, but the name's Harper." With a hand in hers it's relatively simple to crawl back out of the hole and into the sunlight, where the heat sits warm and heavy the moment he's out of the embrace of the earth. It's not really easy to talk beyond grunts, so as soon as he's standing he shoots Libbs a sunny smile. "Alright captain, where to now that my life has been spared?"
Libbs Walzek
Lockpick

Change author:
LIBBS
Libbs almost didn't hear him, spreading her limbs out to each corner of the world, as if she was threatening to grab it all and wrap it around here. Oh sweet, sweet air and space. Yes, it was hot, but it was safe! In that moment at least, and that was what mattered. Blinking for a moment, she sat up, looking to Harper and blinked.

Oh yeah, right, she made that agreement didn't she?

Well, he did say that he was an engineer. Her eyes lit up, and she curled one lip into an uneven smile. "Well, you said you were an engineer, right? Well, what do you make? Anything you can show me? Because, well, I got some ideas that I can always take some feedback on.." she offered.

"Otherwise.." she mumbled as stood back on her feet, stretching. Oh the sunchild, through and through. The tattoo glittering in the light, her highlights catching the sun and giving her that summer glow. Harper may have hated the sun, but Libbs absolutely loved it! "I was thinking about going into the woods for some supplies. Can tag along for that. What do you think?" She looked down at him, her eyes settling for a moment, before quickly looking away.
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
Harper Quinn
the Stalwart
Teacher

Change author:
HARPER
People have been interested in Harper for a wide variety of reasons. Among them including his body, his acrobatics, his adopted family, and his fighting skills. Nobody has ever really cared about the brain behind the big smile, which is great for being underestimated in a fight, not so great for his self-esteem in a general sense. So when she asks about his engineering again, clearly continuously interested, he can't help but preen beneath the attention.

"I was on patrol when I got dropped on my ass here, so I lost a lot of my gear. I do have this though!" He reaches around his hips and grips two small devices attached to his pants, freeing them and twirling them expertly in his hands to present to her. A press of his thumb and the batons extend, electricity crackling at the ends. "High voltage output on the level of a taser, with condensed rubber handles for protection and grip. The wires are encased to protect them from impact, but the circuitry is all inside!" He's not really willing to crack them open with so few tools to his name being new to Caido, but they're one of his more mobile pieces of weaponry, which is why he usually takes them exploring.

Deactivating the voltage he offers one to her and puts the other back on the clip, clapping his hands together in preparation for their little trip. "I'm at your service," he replies gallantly, and bows deeply until his forehead touches his knees just to be dramatic. Never a bad time to show off after all. He springs back up with a bright grin and gestures with his arm for her to take the lead.
Libbs Walzek
Lockpick

Change author:
LIBBS
"How are you getting electricity out here?!" she shouted to Harper, her hands flying to her cheeks almost instantly.

"Do you even realize what you're holding?! That is AWESOME!" she shouted dramatically to the man. Her eyes blinked, as if she was beginning to go into overdrive processing some thoughts. The fact that he even knew how half of that stuff worked was absolutely mind-boggling. But it also meant.. that..

"Wait, so you know how this works. Does.. does that mean you also know what cars are? Skyscrapers? Do you know what any of that stuff is?" she asked quietly, her voice hushed and controlled, but man, oh man, she looked like she was about to explode. Because she hadn't met someone from her world, or time yet. Everyone looked at her and her stories like.. well, the way she looked at theirs! Strange, and foreign. But; she would have finally found someone who finally could pick up what she was putting down. And that? Pretty exciting!

"Sure, lemme go pick up some tools first. I don't wanna go out there without any sort of protection. Sides, I usually have to knock something down." she nodded, heading in the direction towards the Artisan's guild, where she had her workshop stationed.
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3