Lost Beneath A Powdered Sea
Maea
Peter Pikely

Age: 33 | Height: 5’3” | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 4 - Strg: 11 - Dext: 18 - Endr: 18 - Luck: 14 - Int:
Played by: Johnnie Offline
Change author:
MP: 87
PETER
This far, Peter had managed to keep his animal shifts a secret, mostly by not using them, and not giving himself a chance to use them. But he had woken to a beautiful day, the clouds parted and letting the sun shine to its full potential, which in Halo was still weak, but enough to warm his skin through a window in his room in the citadel.

Peter hadn’t been able to help himself. He opened his window a crack, shifting into his small bat Forman’s fluttering out into the air. The wind was still cold, but the sun was more than enough to keep him happy. Before long, he was flying through the streets of Snowcloak, dodging obstacles and people with ease. There was no rhyme or reason to the path he took, merely flying for the sheer joy of it.

As he flew, he passed a face in the crowd that he thought he knew, stealing his focus away for a moment. And a moment was all it took, he had not yet gotten used to flying enough for it to be second nature, and the lapse in concentration was all he needed to go careening off course, falling out of the sky with a quiet squeak. Luckily, he wasn’t hurt, just in a bad position, and unwilling to shift in front of so many people.
Maea Valair
Hollowed Grounds Ambassador / Loreseeker

Age: 29 | Height: 156 cm / 5'1 ft | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 2 - Strg: 22 - Dext: 22 - Endr: 25 - Luck: 20 - Int:
Played by: Chan Offline
Change author:
MP: 1897
You're so cold
but you feel alive
The bright sunlight did very little to brighten her mood. Though the streets were filled with people and the mood at the market was festive in the rare beauty of the day, she couldn't quite connect with it. Even though she moved between the stalls in search of things she wanted, things she might want to give away as gifts or needed for herself, very few things actually caught her eye. The bag with trade goods was still mostly full on her shoulder, and for the few things she bought she paid a far higher price than she ought. Sighing, she shook her head and turned away from the pretty fur gloves a vendor shoved in her face. No, she wasn't cold. No, she would not trade them for a lock of her white hair, oh Eirachi blessed daughter.

She was not in the mood for haggling.

Meaning to break off and head back for the tavern, she caught sight of something small and white that flitted through the crowd. Far too small to be a Ningo. Maea saw the thing fly on quickquick wings past her on the other side of the square, then came zooming straight  down the path she'd been heading towards. She gasped when it suddenly went down into a snowdrift by the side of a house, and hurried over. Curious, despite herself, to see what it was and make sure it wasn't hurt.

Or eaten by a ningo.

Maea gathered her skirts up around the knees as she sank down to sit on her heels, hands clasping the fabric - far too thin in this weather - so as not to give in to the temptation of trying to touch the creature. It was a bat, she noticed. White and pink just like herself, and very miserable looking in the snow.

"Poor thing," she said, addressing it as though it could understand her. "I would help you up, but I don't want to frighten you. I like my fingers in one piece. Are you hurt?"

Knowing she was drawing curious stares from the people around her, Maea ignored them and looked about for something to use, so she could get the bat from the snow. In the end, she loosed a corner of the large shawl she wore draped over the shoulders, and dangled one of the ragged corners over the animal. To grab on to, if it needed help to right itself.
lay your hands on me
one last time
MAEA
♦ Violence, magic, thievery is permitted with Maea at all times. DM me if you have any ideas ♦
Peter Pikely

Age: 33 | Height: 5’3” | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
PETER
The tumble to earth had knocked what little breath fit in Peter’s small body out of him, stunning him badly enough that he lay, sprawled in the snow, trying to get his breath back. A soft chittering left him when he finally moved, wings flapping as he tried to right himself.

A voice from above startled him, a tiny squeak leaving his body as he started, spreading his wings off like he was going to try to scare Maea off.

Wait. Maea?

That had been the face he’d recognized, the momentary distraction that had caused his fall. He was glad to see her, they hadn’t really gotten the chance to talk after the school had been set up, a moment not really presenting itself. But he couldn’t respond to her voice, couldn’t say it was him, and definitely could shift back to human in the middle of the market.

As the shawl was offered to him, Peter clumsily made his way over to it, clambering on and clinging like his life depended on it. He tried to convey some sign that he understood her, spreading one wing, then the other, to show that he was unharmed, and flapping his ears to try and convey thanks. From the edge of the shawl, Peter climbed, moving up to her shoulder and squeaking happily.
Maea Valair

Age: 29 | Height: 156 cm / 5'1 ft | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
You're so cold
but you feel alive
She smiled when the bat reacted, flopping around with the oversized wings until it could grasp the lifeline she threw it. Expecting it to simply fly off again, she was taken aback when it continued to climb up the shawl, higher until it settled onto her shoulder. The squeak sounded very close to her ear and the girl shivered a touch at the sensation, unused to having anything so close - recalling with some dismay the last person who had whispered to her, in a way that made her shudder - but tucked a little fold of the rags over its tiny body.

Beneath the protective layer, the bat would feel how the biting cold of Halo faded, draining away as if the snow and ice was merely decoration. Smiling, the girl stood up carefully, unsure what she should do.

"Well now, at least you seem to be alright... Are you sure that's a good place to sit? I can find a nice dark attic for you to sleep on, instead." A bat outside in he day was quite a strange thing, she thought. Something must have awakened it, dislodged it from it's perch and thrust it into the blinding light. No wonder it had crashed.
lay your hands on me
one last time
MAEA
♦ Violence, magic, thievery is permitted with Maea at all times. DM me if you have any ideas ♦
Peter Pikely

Change author:
PETER
The corner of the shawl was tucked up and around him, and the biting cold of the air and the snow Peter had fallen into faded away. It was almost cozy like this, and Peter flattened out more, his wings spreading out to soak up as much of the warmth as he could. He balanced carefully, clinging onto Maea’s shoulder as she stood.

The mention of an attic drew another soft squeak in response, one that Peter tried to make sound disapproving. Instead, he stretched out a wing, trying to gesture towards the citadel, hoping she would notice, would understand. Though, now that he thought about it, somewhere dark wouldn’t be too bad either. At least then they’d more than likely be alone, and he could shift back to explain himself.
Maea Valair

Change author:
You're so cold
but you feel alive
Unfortunately, Maea did not speak bat. Nor did she realize there was meaning behind the outstretched wing, beyond perhaps making it a bit more comfortable to perch on her. She smiled down at it all the same, interpreting the little squeak in her own way and started to walk in amongst the houses, away from the main square and the bustle of people.

"I hear there are some storage sheds and outhouses on the outskirts of the Snowcloak," she told the passenger. "Perhaps you will find one of them to your liking. I would bring you back to the inn, but it's far too loud for my tastes. And the ale tastes like... well, what it looks and smells like." She grimaced, as if some foul matter still clung like a film to her tongue.

The path she chose was narrow and meandering, weaving back and forth between houses and workshops, small eateries and more houses. The further away from the city core they came, the smaller and grubbier the buildings looked, and the harder the eyes of the few people they crossed paths with became. A bad neighborhood, if ever there was one. But Maea seemed quite oblivious to it, unaccustomed to such things by way of where she'd grown up.
lay your hands on me
one last time
MAEA
Peter Pikely

Change author:
you’re gonna live this life with me?
Peter huffed quietly to himself as they began heading in the wrong direction, Maea not seeming to understand him at all. Which was understandable, considering he wasn’t even speaking, and had nothing human like to gesture with. He was just along for the ride, and he settled into it fairly easily, content for the moment to go along with her, and simply hope for a quiet moment when he can explain.

But they go further and further from the bustling heart of the city, into streets the wind cuts through like a thief’s knife, sharp and sudden. Despite not being able to feel the cold, Peter shivers, eyes that are ill suited to daylight swivelling this way and that. If something happened, if someone tried something, he wouldn’t be able to do anything in time. He had to make a choice. And Peter supposed there was less harm in shifting from animal to animal than there was in shifting to his human form, and revealing his newfound gift in front of prying eyes.

As a bat, he crawled out from the edge of the shawl he was nestled under and lifted off Maeas shoulder, dropping down low, almost like he was falling again. But this time, heavy paws landed on the icy ground, not a tiny body, the bat was now a hyena, pressed in close to Maea’s side. Peters ears were back, and his head swivelled all around them, hoping the rather obvious change would scare off any would be robbers.
Maea Valair

Change author:
You're so cold
but you feel alive
When the bat began to move on her shoulder, Maea looked down at it and frowned a little. Sad that it might be about to leave her, concerned that it would fall into the snow again. Continue to be lost. But she didn't try to catch it, letting the animal make up its own mind.

That is, until it drops to the ground, and changed. From a small, adorable bat into something huge, vaguely doglike but more akin to some mix between a wolf and a bear. She has never seen a hyena before, knew nothing of what it was or where it came from - though decidedly carnivorous in it's eating habits, she presumed - but knew only one thing might turn her cute little bat friend into this fierce, dangerous looking beast.

She recoiled a few steps, clasping a hand over her mouth even as she flushed beet red in mortification. "You're attuned?" she exclaimed,. the outcry muffled behind the hand.

"I'm so sorry, I thought you were just.. I mean, I assumed.."  Stuttering in embarrassment, she looked beseechingly at the shapeshifter, pleading forgiveness for her rude assumptions. Perhaps there was a slight hint of intimidation in her eyes as well, as the animal pressed in closer to her.
lay your hands on me
one last time
MAEA
Peter Pikely

Change author:
Peter hesitates, a low whine in his throat as he sees how distressed Maea is, see the discomfort he’s brought. Maybe it would have been better if he hadn’t shifted, or if he left now, to spare her the embarrassment. He didn’t really think he could leave her alone in this place though, especially not with the attention they were now attracting.

As slowly and as non threateningly as he can, Peter approaches her, leaning his head up against her hand. He wants to brush against her, offer reassurance, comfort, something more than what he’s giving right now, but he knows she isn’t one for touch. He isn’t either, not usually, but it’s so much easier in this form, and he wants to be so much more open.

Once he’s done what he can to soothe her, Peter backs up, ears flicking and his head cocked to the side, as if asking her a silent question. Then, he takes a few steps, turning to see if she’s following, if she’s willing to. He wants to lead Maea out of this neighbourhood, where the people’s eyes are colder than the wind. Past that, she can go her own way if she wants, but he needs to help her with at least this.
Maea Valair

Change author:
You're so cold
but you feel alive
The low, sympathizing whine made her look again at the animal-shifted person. Forcing herself to swallow down the embarrassment at not realizing what she should have known from the beginning, Maea pushed her face into a smile; no doubt her reaction was not making it better. Why they didn't simply shift back to a person she had no idea, but the careful way it reached out the nose to nudge her hand was unmistakeable. She'd grown up with dogs, had seen the mute apology before...

"No, I'm the one who's sorry," she insisted, hoping she was interpreting correctly. "It's okay, I was just startled. Not afraid. You... want me to follow, yes?" It seemed that way, with how the hunched wolf-bear-thing stepped away in a different direction than she'd been going, only to turn and look back. Not quite sure why, she complied - had no reason not to, just as she'd had no real reason to choose this path - and fell in beside the Attuned, accepting the new turn of events with surprisingly openness. Once over her initial shock, it was replaced by curiosity, eyes lingering on the individual beside her.

"I have so many questions," she said, a confession told alongside a smile of lopsided amusement. "Why you ended up in the snow, what this shift of yours is, why you're keeping me company... but I don't think you can speak in that form, correct?"

If they were to communicate, she would have to keep her questions to ones who could be answered with simple yes or no's.
lay your hands on me
one last time
MAEA
Peter Pikely

Change author:
Peter snorts when she apologizes, rejecting the words in a single gesture. He's the one making things difficult, the one trying so hard to keep his secret. He is glad that her reaction wasn't one of fear though, just confusion, surprise. It makes him feel a bit better, puts a bounce in his step as he goes.

When she asks if she's meant to be following, Peter bounces his front half up and down in an especially eager nod, a bright noise coming from between his jaws as she falls in step beside him. Almost like a laugh, but rough, feral. He mostly does a good job keeping her close, though once or twice he gets ahead of himself, and has to stop in place again, feet dancing as he patiently waits for her.

He turns a golden eyed gaze her way when she talks about her questions, though he can't answer most of them, there is one thing he grows curious about. He's seen other shift only bits and pieces, but always starting as human, and adding. He wonders if maybe he can subtract, can force a human voice from between his jaws. He tries, focusing on the things that let him speak, feeling a shift in his throat, but then his mouth and tongue are wrong, and when he tries to make a sound it comes out strangled, sounding almost as bad as it feels.

The change is reversed immediately, Peter shaking his head just to try and clear the burning from his throat, then looks up at her again, offering another vigorous nod. Yes and no questions only then.
Maea Valair

Change author:
You're so cold
but you feel alive
She had to smile at his enthusiasm, and the effort he put in to try and prove her wrong. In the end, it proved futile but Maea reached out to pat the creature on the shoulder - her own little show of trust, recognizing that she was dealing with an actual person and not just an animal.

"That's alright, thank you for trying," she said.

Letting the spotted shifter lead the way back to more populated areas, Maea still chose to keep well away from the packed main thoroughfares. It was as good an opportunity as any to explore, and with this beast at her side it would draw attention to walk into crowds. Something she generally preferred to avoid.

Casting about for questions to ask, she tried to keep them simple, basic. "Are you a resident of Halo? Natural, Outlander? Do I know you?" The last question asked with a half laugh, eyes glittering; she was quite sure this was not Sunjata (he would have come back into himself at this point, if only to tease her about not realizing it) but she had to make sure. Maybe there was someone else among her acquaintances with hidden talents.
lay your hands on me
one last time
MAEA
Peter Pikely

Change author:
His attempt at a voice doesn’t work how he wanted, but Peter is glad it did enough that Maea is relaxed enough to touch him. He leans into the hand, tilting his head to offer her a lopsided grin.

The main streets are something he wants to avoid as well, though he is always close enough to hear them, to smell them. Close enough that they don’t get lost. He hasn’t explored the streets of Snowcloak as well as he should have yet, and doesn’t want to risk it.

The questions were easy for the most part, Peter feeling a little like they were playing a game, the ease that usually came with his shifted form clear in his step. Even if all he can do is shake his head and nod, it’s enough to communicate. No, he’s not from Halo, No he’s not a natural.

The last question has him delighted, hurrying in front of her to turn and nod, wondering if she would put it together.
Maea Valair

Change author:
You're so cold
but you feel alive
Oh. OH. She knew this person? The happy reaction suggested she really did, and really should know who it was - or be able to figure it out - but as she dredged her memory for clues, the girl came up empty. How many Attuned did she know? And of them, how many of their forms? Not many. Not enough. Because she didn't think to ask about it, didn't know unless she was told or saw it with her own eyes.

It was definitely not Jigano. The colors were wrong, as was the demeanor. Not Sunjata, obviously, because he would be rolling her in snow by now if it was. Probably it was not Adam, given that Coffee was nowhere in sight and the man was far too chatty to stay shifted if he couldn't speak, and that left...

"Peter..?" she tried, hesitant. The man had told her of attuning, but... he was firmly lodged into the Abandoned category in her mind (and shame on her for even having those). It seemed so unlikely, but also the only other viable guess.
lay your hands on me
one last time
MAEA