A Different Kind of Ring
for Phoebe
Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Provost of the Loreseekers Soul Shepherd
Portal Guardian
Age: 36 | Height: 6'2" | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 12 - Strg: 30 - Dext: 45 - Endr: 38 - Luck: 42 - Int:
ISUMA - Mythical - Griffin (Venomous)
Played by: Cirago Offline
Change author:
MP: 5250
Jigano had recognized the shell when he'd picked it up from Remi's shop, knowing it was one of a pair. He'd seen it in the Monster Hunter's Guild at LongNight, and had been told along with the others that it could be used to call the Temple and speak to those there, a lifeline of sorts against the dark. He hadn't realized that Remi had rescued it from the blaze, or where the other half of it had gone, but without its mate it was simple a decorative shell.

There would be another LongNight in two short seasons, and there was quite a lot of travel happening now as the portals began to open. The shells were potentially very useful... if the other half could be found.

He had sat in the Loreseeker's Guildhall and contemplated the object several times, weighing the chances that it had been collected by Wessex or Bastien. The latter would be easy enough to speak with. The former? There was the catch. And there was always something else to do, some other task to chase after, and so the shell was left untouched for a time until he found a moment to sit in his office, and breathe...

And be stared at reproachfully by the unfinished task sitting so decoratively on his desk.

Today, finally, he gathered his composure and lifted it to his ear, clearing his voice tentatively. "Hello?" he called into it, feeling a bit foolish and glad that the Hall was currently empty but for Isuma, who watched him curiously. "Is there anyone there? Can anyone hear me?"

Phoebe
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Age: 26 | Height: 5'9" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Greatwood
Level: 5 - Strg: 32 - Dext: 46 - Endr: 41 - Luck: 41 - Int:
PIM - Mythical - Dragon (Electricity) BRANBAST - Mythical - Sear Cat (Speech)
Played by: Grant Offline
Change author:
MP: 1825
PHOEBE
Phoebe had kept her half of the shell phone with her constantly since Fiat Lux. She hadn't seen its other half at Remi's and since there hadn't been a body...part of her wished that he might actually have it. Thankfully, since Sam's visit, she now knew he was alive, which had been a great comfort. But it didn't resolve everything. How he had gotten where he was, if he was really okay or just...alive like her. She would have worried herself sick if she had the energy to work up that strength of emotion anymore, save for anger and irritation.

So it was she sat in the College, taking care of some Guild paperwork, when a voice suddenly emanated from the shell. She startled at first, knocking what she'd been working on to the floor in her fright. For a moment she merely stared at it in shock, frozen at the possibility. But as it subsided, hope took over and she grabbed the shell and quickly brought it to her face. "Remi?! Remi is that you??" she said hurriedly, worry clear in her tone.
my heart is so tired
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Age: 36 | Height: 6'2" | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
Definitely not Wessex on the other end, and Jigano breathed a silent sigh of relief. Isuma cocked her head at him curiously as he paused a moment, trying to sort who it could be on the other end of the magical connection. One of Remi's friends, obviously, but the popular alchemist had many, and he smiled ruefully as he realized there was a very simple way to find out.

"No," he said gently. "I'm sorry. This shell was in his shop and I recognized it from LongNight. This is Jigano. Who are you?" Chances were fairly good that his name would be recognized without further introduction if its mate had been taken by anyone in the Temple over LongNight. He reached out to rub Isuma's ears to calm himself, surprised that it had worked on the first time, but relieved, too, that the mystery would finally be solved.
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Age: 26 | Height: 5'9" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Greatwood
Change author:
PHOEBE
"No. I'm sorry."

Her heart sunk, and with it she actually sunk in her chair. Not Remi. She should have known better than to get her hopes up. Would she ever learn or was she destined to be this stupid her whole life? At least she knew who was on the other end of the shell. Jigano. She shouldn't have been surprised. He had been at the Guildhall during LongNight and had probably seen the shell and its uses there. "Ah...Jigano...sorry..." she muttered softly, staring off into other worlds as her mind began to wander, wishing she knew how to get wherever Remi was.

"This is Phoebe." she said quietly, trusting her fellow Portal Guardian would recognize her.
my heart is so tired
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Change author:
Phoebe? That made perfect sense, in hindsight. He hadn't known where the shell was located within the Temple, but since Phoebe was one of Remi's closest friends, the alchemist would have entrusted it to her. Had the shells even been used since LongNight? There had been so much happening he realized he had no idea what Remi and Ronin had even been up to for most of Flowerbirth.

For that matter, he only tangentially knew what Phoebe had been up to. Taking care of the many wounded from the Festival, burying her nephews, and getting spite?married... He'd hardly seen her since their Guardian group trip to Halo. He cleared his throat reflexively when he realized that the silence was stretching, and tried to decide what to do with the information. "Ah, Phoebe, I hope I'm not interrupting? I was curious who had the other half of the shells. I had thought..." He trailed off, because he hadn't really had a concrete idea, hoping that one would spark when he found out who had the other half. "Well. Without knowing where the other half was, I wasn't sure what to think. Would you like me to bring this one over so you can have the set?" It seemed only fair; she had been far closer to Remi than him, and he didn't need any mementos of the absent alchemist now that he knew that the other young man was still alive somewhere to the south.
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
PHOEBE
"Ah, no, no you're not. I'm just at the College doing a bit of research." she said quietly, still slumped in her chair. Disappointment suffused each fiber of her being. She really should have known better than to hope that Remi might have it. But clearly she had been foolish once again. Though the offer to bring the other half over surprised her. She supposed it was probably best to keep the pair together. At least they could be saved incase two factions formed during LongNight again. "Yes, I think that would be good. I can hang on to them for next LongNight should they be needed again." she said.
my heart is so tired
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Change author:
He could hear the disappointment in her tired voice, and for all that they had never been close he still felt a sharp twist of regret that he couldn't have been her beloved friend on the other end of the shell. He might have asked to keep them for the Loreseekers to use on excursions... but he couldn't bring himself to do so when it sounded like she needed the mementos of Remi more than he did. "I'll be over in a few minutes, then," he said gently.

The Atheneum and the College were close enough in the Sanctuary that it didn't take long for him to leave the Guildhall and head up the stairs and out into the blazing Longheat sun. Even just trotting across the cobbled pavers to the Infirmary and its neighboring Medical College was enough to work up a sweat, and he was glad to get back into the shade as he stepped inside. It was the first time he'd really been in the repaired building, he realized with a start. There was always so much else going on that he hadn't gotten around to exploring his nearest neighboring guild, and he had to ask a passing student for directions to Phoebe's office. Knocking on the door at last, he poked his head in tentatively.

"Phoebe? Do you have a moment?"
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
PHOEBE
"I'll be in my office on the second floor." she said softly in confirmation of Jigano saying he would be over. Then she set the shell down, staring at it for a long moment. If only it had been Remi...if only she could hear his voice not yet knowing the cruel things he would say to send her running for the edge of a bridge. Surely he would know how to make things better, he would know what she needed to heal...and perhaps she could help him with his own grief, knowing he too must be lost in a world of pain, his precious Aoife having been taken too soon.

The knock had her turning in her chair - how long had she been staring and wishing? - surprised at how quickly the Provost seemed to arrive. Perhaps he had some sort of teleportation magic? "Yes, of course, Jigano, come on it." she said, forcing a smile. Her lips curved but her eyes did not alight as they usually did, her happiness a cordial front and nothing more.
my heart is so tired
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Change author:
She looked exhausted, he thought with a pang. Her smile as fatigued as her eyes. He had heard about her nephews, and to lose Remi on top of it all seemed too unfair. Still, at least the orb had revealed that the alchemist was alive somewhere, even if they couldn't reach him yet, so all hope wasn't lost.

He slipped inside, pulling the shell from the bag he had slung over his shoulder and offering it to her so it could rejoin its twin. "I'm sorry I didn't come sooner," he apologized, knowing it was too little, too late, but hoping it was better than nothing. "I have things I've meant to talk about with you as the chief doctor here, but there's always something happening..." he trailed off, shaking his head at the excuse. "And there always will be, if I don't make the time. But first, I wanted to ask if you knew that Remi is... I don't know if he's okay, but he seems to be alive, at least, according to the orbs the gods gave us?" Not his smoothest segue, but if she hadn't checked yet it might give her hope, and if she already had then at least they were all on the same page.
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
PHOEBE
Sorry he hadn't come sooner? Phoebe blinked slowly, the words not making much sense in her mind, and she was far too tired to try and hide it. But...it seemed he had specific questions of her, given her position. That made some semblance of sense. "Oh." she said softly, acknowledging that he had questions of her.

He asked about the orb from the gods and she nodded in acknowledgement. "It's why I had the other shell out and ready. I thought perhaps Remi had the other half still." she said quietly. Hoping that he would reach out to her, hoping she could speak with him. But alas, in the end it had been all for naught.
my heart is so tired
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Change author:
He wasn't used to seeing her like this, so subdued and depressed, but he had never seen her lose so many people in quick succession before, either. Perhaps the kindest thing he could do was to return the shell, state his business, and let her rest. "As the Dean here, I wanted to let you know that I've... gained powers similar to Loren's," he said a little hesitantly, stumbling over the painful memories associated with where those powers had come from. "Healing magic, specifically. If there's another sickness like the blight or disaster like the festival, I wanted you to know that you could call on me to assist your work, if you need me. And to offer the Loreseeker's Guild's assistance as a whole in researching any public health threats that may arise, if you need more eyes to pore through the books searching for something that would help." It made sense for them to work together in times of trouble for the Hollowed Grounds, he hoped. Their guilds were occasionally complementary, and he had several members with an interest in medicines and medical lore.

He was glad to hear that she was at least aware of Remi's survival, and hoped it brought her some solace, even if his continued disappearance was anything but reassuring. He was somewhere off the face of the known world, but the world grew larger every season.

Which should probably bother him more, since it was their job to stop the portals, but to say he was conflicted about it was an understatement. "I'm sorry I don't have better news," he said quietly, not knowing what else to say as he set the shell down gently on her desk beside its mate.
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
PHOEBE
She blinked slowly again, the words he spoke taking far too long to process in her mind. It all felt a bit like slush, surreal and uncomfortable. He...had magic now? Under normal circumstances she probably would have questioned it more, but as it was, it took all her effort to focus on just the moment in front of her. He wanted to help...in case there was another blight or catastrophe. "I appreciate the offer, and we can always use more willing hands, but the College is moving towards a more scientific approach to medicine; understanding the body at a level only the gods could perceive before. If you'd be willing, it would be helpful to put your scholarly skills to use documenting these new facts and procedures so others could also understand." she said, her tone lacking her usual passion and enthusiasm for the topic at hand.

But then, another thought struck her. Something where this new magic might help more immediately. "Have you mastered earth magic by chance?" she said, ignoring his apology. What was there to apologize for? Nothing. And the less she thought about it, the better.
my heart is so tired
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Change author:
He nodded, understanding what she was saying. He'd been offering his assistance more for emergencies, when triage mattered more than research, but Phoebe had been through enough recently without getting into semantics. "I would be happy to have my Seekers help you make copies of what you've learned. Having the information in multiple places in case of another... disaster... like those that struck the Monster Hunter's Guild and Temple would be one way to safeguard what you've been discovering so it isn't lost in a fire." Or angry demigod attack, depending on the day and season. The medical knowledge of the College was too important to have to relearn from scratch if something happened.

He had half-expected that to be the end of the conversation, once the shell was safely on her desk, but Phoebe surprised him with her question and he nodded slowly, wondering what she had in mind. Help with the infirmary medicinal garden? "I do. It combines well with the Healing magic, actually. I can enrich the poor soil here back to a healthy loam and grow healthier plants than are usually found in the Hollowed Grounds. Would you like me to give the medicinal garden some assistance?" He offered, hoping he could do something to cheer her up a bit, or at least take some worries off her shoulders.
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
PHOEBE
Phoebe nodded, unknowingly grateful to not have to discuss the semantics. She did appreciate the offer of assistance for emergencies (because boy did they need it), but she was also thinking in the longer term. "Thank you. If any Loreseeker wishes to have a more permanent position at the College as a medical recorder, they would be gladly welcomed." she said, extending what was an unusual offer. They wouldn't have to partake in the research itself, or even learn to heal, just record more formally everything that was done.

Her head shook slowly at his offer. "The smaller garden was recently revived by a young man named Kaimana, and we've recently procured a natural farm. The fields have laid fallow for awhile now and are in surprisingly good condition. However..." she paused as she stood, reaching up and pulling a large glass jar off the top of one of her shelves. "If you could fill this with magically infused soil, like you just mentioned, I would be grateful. Frey requires it to produce an important tool for our research here." she said, removing the fitted lid from the jar.
my heart is so tired
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3