the one who is just there
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Age: 26 | Height: 5'9" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Greatwood
Level: 5 - Strg: 32 - Dext: 46 - Endr: 41 - Luck: 41 - Int:
PIM - Mythical - Dragon (Electricity) BRANBAST - Mythical - Sear Cat (Speech)
Played by: Grant Offline
Change author:
MP: 1825
Trigger Warning 
PHOEBE
How many cigarettes had it been now? Did matter? No. Not really. Everyone died of something after all.

Phoebe sat on the edge of the Bone Bridge, legs dangling off as she stared into the void of the mist below. A wallet of cigarettes sat next to her, one currently dangling out of her mouth as she stared. The skirt of her dress was hiked just slightly, showing knees covered in red pock-mark burns, some healed, some clearly fresh. Pim had tried to stop her, but to no avail. So he just sat there with her, head on her shoulder, present. Frey's-chosen-Phoebe was so so far away. Was this another result of Frey and Rae being tired when making humans?

She had had five children, two her own, three adopted; all dead. She had been in love; it broke her to pieces. She had been married; it fell apart in a spectacular show. She had family; now dead or spurning her existence. At one point or another in the last year, she had gotten everything she had ever wanted...and lost it all again. What was the point of her existence now? Her dreams had been achieved and were now over.

The feelings bubbled, and with a shaky hand she pressed the cigarette in her mouth to her knee. Searing pain, then nothingness again. Good. Hands still shaking she lifted the cigarette back up, relit it, and placed it back in her mouth. Dead brown eyes gazed down into the mist again.

So easy. It would be so, so easy.
those who are heartless once cared too much
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
Harper Quinn
the Stalwart
Teacher

Age: 33 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Nomadic
Level: 5 - Strg: 15 - Dext: 15 - Endr: 27 - Luck: 19 - Int:
Played by: Brit Offline
Change author:
MP: 9427
HARPER
Perhaps fate or destiny or some other cosmic force is stronger here than his home world, something that draws him across this path that so desperately needs his own to intersect. Because when he had left the manor that morning, Harper had no real goal in mind aside from exploring more of the Hollowed Grounds. The land is far larger than the city he had spent years protecting, but he can't really complain when it gives him something to do with the long empty stretches of days that he has been handed with his lifestyle change.

The day is mild, but with the promise of increasing heat as the sun mounts higher in the sky. A pleasant, familiar weight upon his shoulders and in the dark line of his hair. This, at least, is familiar. It is why his skin has always been darker, tanned and spotted with freckles and moles alike, having lived most of his life in the sunniest place he could find after being kept prisoner away from the sky for years. The air is cleaner here, purer despite the destruction he maneuvers around. Each building abandoned, dilapidated, just as Jigano had said.

He's not so unaware or off his game to glance over the figure hunched over and staring off the side of the bridge at least, and it's here where fate weaves her talented fingers. Frowning as recognition dawns the closer he walks, Harper hurries his step to come closer, and even from the side of Phoebe's face he can tell that something is very wrong. Before she can realize he's approaching, he swings his legs over in one elegant motion and sits down beside her, sickly grateful for so many years of experience talking down people close to jumping to their deaths from various buildings. If he is within range, at least he can physically grab her if it comes to that. Instead he raises a hand to delicately place it upon her back, to smooth up and down her spine if she will allow the touch. "Phoebe, what's wrong?" Blue eyes flit to the cigarette in her hand, and he bites down on a recrimination that leaps to his tongue. It's not the time or place to chastise her for such disastrous habits.
lord don't let me break this, let me hold you lightly
give me arms to pray with instead of ones that hold too tightly
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Age: 26 | Height: 5'9" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Greatwood
Change author:
Trigger Warning 
PHOEBE
Phoebe didn't look at first when someone sat next to her. She simply didn't care. She didn't care who it was. She didn't care that they were there. She didn't even care why they were or what their intent was. Blissful nothingness, even as they touched her back. She just stared over the edge, into the mist, wishing desperately that the giant claw of some monster would come reaching up out of the void to drag her in.

But then the person spoke, and she looked away from the face of certain death to see Harper of all people sitting there.

She blinked slowly at him, confused as to where he had come from so suddenly. He'd been the one to nearly derail her wedding, not to tell her to stop, but to tell her he would support her no matter what. It had been a glint of kindness and light in a very dark place, and the memory of it dared to bring light again, emotions beginning to bubble with it. What was wrong? What was wrong?

She pressed the end of the cigarette to her knee, the pain a burning relief from everything she no longer wished to feel.

"Nothing really. Nothing that matters." she said quietly.
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
Harper Quinn
the Stalwart
Teacher

Age: 33 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Nomadic
Change author:
HARPER
Despite his expertise in wound care in a battle situation, Harper is no doctor, and certainly no psychologist. Nonetheless the slow, dull-eyed blink she gives him as she turns at his voice - and the lack of response before that - worries him deeply. Feeling useless to do anything more than rub her back gently, he waits for her to speak. To give him something, anything, some kind of clue to go off of here.

Instead all he receives is the gut-wrench of watching her put out her cigarette on her knee, and he can't help how he plucks it from her fingers and sends it flying into the abyss below. Immediately using that spare hand to tangle with her own and hold it tight, so she at least can't use that one to grab another. His own hands are scarred and calloused, but she can hold it as tightly as she desires. "Hey," he says softly as he moves closer, frown playing at his lips and browns drawn tight. "Anything that bothers you is something that matters. And if it doesn't matter to you, it matters to me." Harper gives it a moment to sink in and hopes that it does at least some small amount of convincing before he continues. "I just want to help. What happened?" Because clearly that's the question that really needs to be asked here.
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
PHOEBE
The cigarette went flying from her hand into the abyss of mist, and before she could even try to reach for it, her hand was wrapped up in another. She blinked at his hand holding hers, her own fingers still stretched as though she had intended to reach for something. Then slowly she looked back at him, lips parted slightly from the shock of it, staring at him blankly for a beat. If it mattered to her it mattered to him? "Nothing matters to me anymore." she said quietly, shrugging her shoulders. Her eyes cast down towards the mist again.

But apparently he really wanted to know why she was here, like she was. And so she looked at him once more, holding his blue gaze with her blank brown ones.

"The LongNight before last my boyfriend's very large family was slaughtered by monsters and we had to run through their blood and past their corpses to get out. On the way to running to town, he was gored by another monster, and I had to use my skirt to bandage him up and drag him for miles through the snow to town. Then in Flowerbirth I miscarried. Then he died in a cave in. Then Jata and I got together but a blight was spreading and I caught it, and because of it I miscarried again. I don't remember most of Deepfrost because of the blight, but somewhere in there Jata and I broke up. Then during LongNight my friend Cera died, and my sister-in-law died. Then I tried to fight the mud monster at Fiat Lux and failed, so the boys died. I married Jata out of spite and he has been nothing but an asshole and I trashed his bar and we split. And I thought Remi was dead, but he isn't, but he wants nothing to do with me anymore." she said, each thing in quick succession, eyes never leaving his, tone near lifeless. What was wrong, he wanted to know?

"My life. My life is what's wrong."
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
Harper Quinn
the Stalwart
Teacher

Change author:
HARPER
Harper hums softly in acknowledgement, no matter how depressed her words may be he won't let her think he's not listening. "Maybe not, but like I said, I care. I want to know." Even if it doesn't matter to her, even if she thinks it's not worth bothering about, it's not the same for him. As she turns and lifts her gaze to his he doesn't look away. Holding her hand and still rubbing her back idly as she speaks, keeping his face calm and unaffected as the words fall in a numb torrent from her lips. There is a lot to unpack, a lot that he hasn't known and has to quickly formulate in his mind to be able to respond to them properly, but it's a task he's willing to take on.

And when at last the words slow and stop with her last defeated phrase, he squeezes her hand and sucks in a breath. "It's not your life that's wrong, Phoebe. Everything you've just told me is either a result of living in this place and the inherent dangers it holds, or the actions of another person." Harper turns slightly sideways, lifting his knee back upon the bridge to face her even if she decides to keep staring off into space. "You were incredibly brave to have saved your boyfriend while all of that was happening. And I'm not trying to invalidate your experience, but many women can have higher rates of miscarriages, especially in stressful environments. Their losses aren't your fault either, even if I can't imagine how it felt." He certainly doesn't want to preach to a midwife but he did come from a technologically advanced age, and seeing how those in Caido rely on magic more than medical breakthroughs is definitely at odds with his own education.

One thumb brushes against the back of her hand in repetitive, soothing motions as he speaks. "You can't control someone else's actions. I don't know the whole story so I can't say you're blameless, and every relationship takes work on both sides. But you can't force someone to love you, or to honor a marriage or even a friendship. That doesn't make it your fault. Everyone goes through their own trials, and it can change them and how they act towards those they love, but it doesn't mean you're the one that caused it." How many times in his own life has he pushed people away, been bitter and cruel while he nursed his own wounds? It's an unfortunate reality of the human psyche. And just as unfortunate that blaming oneself is usually the reaction of the scorned and abandoned. "Your life isn't what's wrong. Your life is unique and precious unto itself, and even if nobody is there for you in your darkest hour, the most important thing is to continue living for yourself. For all the people you've helped and the ones who will need you in the future. For every child who does live in the here and now because you were there to make sure they were born healthy. Doesn't that balance the scales? For every life lost, how many have you saved? For every friendship broken, how many have you made, how many persist?" Here he squeezes her hand to emphasize that even if nobody else is there, he is.

"I'm not saying it's easy, or that it will be a breeze to climb upwards from here. But your life isn't what's wrong here. Bad things have happened to you, but they don't make you. There are still good things to live for." A lesson he'd had to learn himself once he'd freed himself of the assassins. He'd been in her exact shoes, wondering if ending his life was a better choice considering the people he'd hurt and the weapon his mind and body still remained. But he had chosen life, chosen happiness. In the end, he hopes she does the same.
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
PHOEBE
His words washed over her like a torrent, her mind only barely aware of his physical actions as her eyes fell to her knees, pocked with burns as they were. Her fingers twitched, desperate to light up another and add to the menagerie as he conjured images and pretty sunsets and feelings in her mind. She bucked against them, not wishing to allow the pot she had lidded to boil over. "Live for myself." she repeated softly once he had said his full piece. Remi's words rang through her mind, a discordant echo that touched a place she did not wish to admit hurt.

Slowly she lifted her gaze, dark and disbelieving. "I am a woman who came her desperate for a boyfriend, who kept getting pregnant despite being an expert in fertility. I've had everything I wanted. There is nothing left. It is not precious. It is not unique. It has all meant nothing." she said, tone low. "Good is temporary. It is fleeting and fickle. It will always be replaced with pain and suffering and sorrow." she said, her words having a biting edge.

"And I am so, so tired of hurting and suffering. I have nothing left, and I am not worth living for alone. So there is simply nothing."
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
Harper Quinn
the Stalwart
Teacher

Change author:
HARPER
Silence does not bother him, and he lets her digest everything he has said without pressing her any more than he already has. Listens patiently as she speaks, listless and limp in his grasp. Nevertheless he persists. If he has to remain there all day then he will do so. Her gaze is dark and shuttered, and he meets it with the guileless blue of his own. "It hasn't meant nothing," he rebukes softly. "Right now yes, it feels like nothing. But every day you have existed here has had some impact. On the grass, the people you pass by, the ones you treat. Yourself. That's not nothing." Clearly she doesn't intend on listening to him about that, but he can't be exasperated with her for it. Not knowing firsthand the empty blackness of the pit that she is looking into.

"Good is temporary. But so is bad. You moved forward from your ex, from your miscarriages. This is just another terrible hour in a terrible day, and with each minute you continue breathing you are winning." Honestly he is not qualified for this, but this world isn't exactly brimming with healthcare professionals, with psychiatrists and doctors that he could gently hand her off to. Even if he talks her down, he has no way of knowing she won't be back here the moment he turns his back. It's as distressing to him as her own mindscape must be to her. "Life comes in waves. It can never be wholly good every single day. But that means it can also never be wholly bad." Sighing he turns to look out over the mist below, not sure what else he can say to her that will make it through.

"One night, I put a knife through my femoral artery. I was minutes from death when the organization that had killed my parents, kidnapped me, and forced me to train to kill others found me in a pool of my own blood. They brought me back. In that moment, there was no hope. I didn't have a companion like Pim, I had no friends, no contact with the outside world. I had lost my parents, the only life I'd ever known. And yet here I am." Taking a deep breath he squeezes her hand. This time more for himself than her. "I'm not trying to compare our grief. I'm not saying it's easy, moving forward. Trying again. But I can say that I'm glad I did it, or I wouldn't have met you. Wouldn't have met anyone here, and that...that has made me happy." Turning back he tries to catch her gaze, to smile weakly, eyes perhaps a tad glassy. "And I hope you make the same choice. Because dying? It's not a cure. It's just a wound you pass from yourself to anyone who has ever cared for you."
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
PHOEBE
She listened in silence, eyes eventually cast down as he lectured her. For that was what it felt like. Hopeful words spewed at her with the intent of coaxing her to do as he wished. Men were all the same that way. Though he was clearly skilled at it, and feelings threatened to bubble up and over more the once. So her free hand found her knee, nails and fingers pressing hard against fresh burns, the pain washing over her to cleanse her of all that wished to break her resolve.

But then be mentioned Pim...and her eyes flicked to the pink dragon who layed at her side, as depressed as she though mostly from his inability to keep her from hurting herself without hurting her himself. If she died...Pim died. Swallowing a lump in her throat, she tried to reach for him, but intstead the dragonling placed his head upon her lap. "Everyone who cared about me is dead or...I'm not high on the priority list if at all." she said softly. Except for Pim, who had been with her through it all.

"Why didn't you stop me from marrying Jata." she asked quietly, if a bit randomly. She looked at him again, eyes imploring. "You came and said all those kind things...but let me marry him anyways. Why did you do that if you had no intention of..." Stealing her away? Standing in his place? Trying to stop it all? Her eyes looked at her lap, suddenly unsure she wanted to know.
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
Harper Quinn
the Stalwart
Teacher

Change author:
HARPER
Kindness lies within her silence, for it would surely hurt Harper to know that she would lump him in with the likes of Sunjata. Instead there is only the sound of the wind whistling below the bridge, their respective breaths and the sound of his blood in his own ears. Hoping she will hang on for one more day, another beyond that, until she finds joy and happiness again. Sometimes the best answer is to just keep moving forward, one foot in front of the other. Dogged and relentless. Demanding the world acquiesce in the face of their stubbornness. This is the turning point for Phoebe. This is the moment where her fate is decided, where she picks a path, and he can only try to be the compass she needs in that moment.

Pim moves his head into her lab as Phoebe goes to reach for him, and Harper gives him a soft look. He shouldn't feel grateful, but he does. Pim may be tied to Phoebe for better or worse, but he's glad the dragon is helping Harper try. "I care about you," he corrects quietly, far from offended. If she needs to hear it to be sure, he'll say it. "And Frey, and Rexanna." A name he only knows from her vote into power, but he remembers seeing her comforting Phoebe as he had arrived. "I can't promise what their priorities are. Everyone's life is filled with different responsibilities and concerns. But sometimes all it takes is reaching out to realize they'll be there as soon as you need them. It's hard to read someone's mind and know they need your help." An unfortunate downfall to communication. Whether or not she has tried that he doesn't know. It isn't easy to put into words, to say so plainly that you need help, or a hug, or a comforting word. Harper has trained himself into it so well it's hard to remember the early days of struggling to ask for the slightest thing.

Her question is unexpected, and he tries to respect her emotions by mulling over the answer properly before replying. "Everyone that day was telling you to do one thing or the other. You had already railed against me calling you young the day we first met. No matter how I felt about the matter...it was important to me that you made the decision on your own, because you're an adult." She had wanted so badly to be heard, to have her choices matter and be listened to. Harper wasn't going to be the one to take that way, even if it killed him to keep quiet. "We all make hard decisions, and sometimes we make the wrong ones. I just wanted to support you in that moment, not sway you one way or the other and imply I knew your heart best. Even if it meant I had to watch you make a decision I thought would hurt you in the end."
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
PHOEBE
Phoebe did not correct him, not outrightly anyways. Rexanna and her had grown apart in the last year, and whether her caring stemmed from guilt or genuine feeling or pity was questionable. Frey...she could concede cared in their godly way. But wasn't the sort of caring she meant. The two were not comparable. "You care." she said softly at length, still looking down at the dragon head in her lap.

She managed to lift her gaze though as he answered her question. He had listened to her that day. He had heard her frustration and acted on it. Had...had anyone else done that for her? Ever? That familiar warmth she felt when he approached her at that disastrous wedding grew once more, and for a moment she hesitated in quashing it back down. "Thank you...for hearing me." she said softly, lips pressed firmly together. "You were right though. It did hurt me. I'm...I'm an idiot." A blind, foolish idiot.
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
Harper Quinn
the Stalwart
Teacher

Change author:
HARPER
"Yes, I do." It's a simple answer, but there are no strings attached for Harper. He simply does. He has not known Phoebe long but his heart has never needed something as silly as time to endear itself to people. She is deserving of his friendship and so he offers it without question, no strings attached. They sit in silence for a time, Phoebe reflecting or staring into the distance, whatever it is she needs. Harper doesn't delve deeper or interrogate her about her feelings. He merely sits, holds her hand. Waits.

When she does speak, it's just as easy to reply. "You're welcome." Sincere and succinct. She doesn't owe him anything for doing her the courtesy of listening to what she truly needs. "It's not idiotic to do things that aren't good for you while grieving. It's not idiotic to hope for a good marriage, or for someone to change, even if we can't force them to. It's just being human Phoebe." A trial of existence that never ends, that they have to continue journeying along as they learn more each day.
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
PHOEBE
It was nice, having simple, straightforward answers and affirmations. There were no conditions. There were no if's or and's or but's; things simply were or they were not. She did not need to do or act in any way other than she was wont to do to keep them so. But he was being too kind to her, going to easy on her, and she knew, deep down, that she didn't deserve it. Slowly her head shook, eyes going to the burns on her knees. "No...that's not..." she sighed, pausing for a moment. How did one explain insanity in a way that the sane could understand?

"I knew it would be unhappy. I knew he would not change. I...I didn't quite understand just how unhappy but...I was already miserable. At least...at least I wouldn't be miserable alone." she said quietly, biting her lip. "That's really the only reason I did went through with it when I realized he wasn't going to back out." she whispered, as if admitting to a horrible secret, and to her it was. When had she become the sort of person that wished to bring others down with her? When did she begin to crave the misery of others if only because she couldn't seem to find her way out of her own miserable existence?
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
Harper Quinn
the Stalwart
Teacher

Change author:
HARPER
She struggles with her words for a moment, but Harper simply sits there quietly as she gathers them together into what she is trying to say. Only when the pause of her words indicates that she has finished does he sit and stare into the mist, mulling over the words. Still gently swiping his thumb over her knuckles and brushing his hand up and down her back. A soothing motion for more than just her.

"There's a reason the phrase 'misery loves company' exists. Grief and sorrow do strange things to people." Something he knew firsthand, recalling those days after his parents had been killed when he had become sharp and brutal with anger and despair. Completely different from the buoyant boy he'd once been. "It doesn't change what you've already done. What you can do is try to move on. I don't want to assume, but I don't think either of you is ready for an apology to take place even if you wanted to give it." If it continues to bother her into the future that she had wanted to infect Sunjata with her own misery, then perhaps it will be the right time. Right now, the wounds are far too fresh. "For now...there's nowhere to move but forward and up. Success and happiness is the best revenge against those who've hurt you, against an unjust world." Maybe that will appeal to her more if she is reluctant to live for happiness alone.