Getting Serious
Jiao Chen
Seamstress

Age: 53 | Height: 4'6" | Race: Fae | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 3 - Strg: 12 - Dext: 12 - Endr: 11 - Luck: 14 - Int:
Played by: lancydulac Offline
Change author:
MP: 0

Well, Torchline was very, very different from the Greatwood.

The ocean was wonderful. Definitely the best thing she'd discovered so far in her travels; she never wanted to leave it again. It seemed to have a soul of it's own, moving up and down the shore, and for the first time she'd understood the way other Fae had spoken about the woods being alive, about feeling a current of energy running through the nature.

Unfortunately though, the beach was not just her and the ocean. The place was crawling with shady types. Skulking thieves, sleazy merchants. She wanted to stay here for a while, and it was becoming abundantly clear that she wouldn't survive for long hiding and hurriedly talking her way out of things before flying away.

She needed a way to defend herself, and quick.

Jiao had heard from a few people now about a strange new business that had opened on the beach - two Grounders, they'd said, grumpy, weird types but with good enough stock. In a wagon. It was the best chance she had at getting something bespoke; she'd heard there was a man there with very good creation magic. So, most valuable things she had in a bag around her middle, she approached the wagon.

Walking around, looking for anyone who could be this shopkeep she'd heard about, she called out: "Hello...? I'm looking for the um...R&R shop...? Or something like that?"
Jiao
And the bittersweet of every new defeat
Is I'm stronger than before
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Age: 31 | Height: 5'11 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 15 - Strg: 68 - Dext: 60 - Endr: 100 - Luck: 93 - Int: 3
ORIA - Mythical - Spriggan (Ghost)
Played by: Odd Offline
Change author:
MP: 3059
i'll never be that me again
The wagon was nothing at all like the one Remi had left behind. This was a cart with a bit of wood nailed above to make a make-shift roof and walls. With barely enough room inside for a bed, the portion Jiao would find herself looking at held mostly...junk. Bottles of things, spices, dried seaweed, but nothing at all which would suggest she'd find the sorts of valuable items that the wagon had come to be known for.

Sitting beneath a tree reading a book, the alchemist glanced up at the fae who hovered around his shop. He looked as though he'd just woken up given how dishevelled his hair was and the fact that he was barefoot and only wearing a pair of shorts. "Well considering it says R&R on the side, I'd say you found it." Remi drawled lazily from beneath the shade, making no effort to get up.

THE
ALCHEMIST

Table coding by Sky
Speaks with a thick Italian accent.
Force and magic can be used against Remi without permission.
Jiao Chen
Seamstress

Age: 53 | Height: 4'6" | Race: Fae | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:

The voice coming over the sand drew Jiao's eye - she looked over the wagon again, which if she was being polite, was a massive hunk of junk. Still, it did indeed say R&R on the side...wrinkling up her nose a little at the trash within (wondering if she'd had some kind of prank played on her by being told to come here) she stepped around it closer to the man, who was wearing an uncomfortably little amount of clothing.

It was only when she stepped closer that she recognised him - patronising pen man! The guy that'd thought the Fae didn't know how to write! Her eyes widened and she stopped, considering for a moment saying something (maybe it's you, you condescending ink man) but eventually deciding against it. If he could help her with her current problem, maybe the past could be forgiven.

"So...I need something...a weapon. Can you help me with that?" Jiao asked, crossing her arms and looking down at Remi.
Jiao
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Age: 31 | Height: 5'11 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
Seems the pair were sharing thoughts, for as Jiao asked for help, Remi merely shrugged his shoulders. "Don't know. Last time I offered you a magical item you turned up your nose at it." Still, he closed the book and placed it on the ground next to him. Looking Jiao up and down with a near-predatory gaze, he judged that, possibly, she might be worth his while.

Gone were the days of freebies and items offered simply out of the kindness of his heart.

"And what might you be offering to trade for such a weapon?" He asked, his skepticism temporarily put on hold as he waited to hear what it was she might have on offer.

THE
ALCHEMIST

Table coding by Sky
Jiao Chen
Seamstress

Change author:

Oh, it seemed she didn't need to say anything. Remi mentioned the incident for her and she raised her eyebrows at his version of events. "As far as I remember, you told us you could show us how to write without being covered in charcoal - what's magical about that? Besides, you were covered in charcoal." To his predatory gaze, she returned a 'gotcha' expression and laughed to herself.

At least she had brought something to trade. "So I have a few things..." She reached into her bag and brought out a bundle wrapped in a fine purple fabric that caught the sun and sparkled at the edges. Untying it, she pulled out four things. "There's this little statue from one of the Fae shrines - it doesn't actually do anything, but if you tell humans that it's Fae and it's ~magic~, they'll eat it right up. Then I have some Red Lichen..." Jiao held up a package tightly wrapped in paper. "It's toxic and grows reallllly fast. Good if you wanna mess someone's place up." Not that she had any experience with that, of course.

"This is apparently a bit of an Afanc tooth--" She held up a shard of something hard and yellowed, once-white. "And lastly..." There was a jar that she pulled out, holding it carefully - within squirmed little black shapes. "Elephant beetle larvae. They'll grow up into useful little helpers."

All delights of the Greatwood- she had hoped their relative novelty might help her get good things in new places.
Jiao
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:
"Well, the fact that the quills were always filled with ink, for one." Remi replied easily. "And yes, I was often covered in charcoal. Call it one of my many charms."

Pushing himself into a standing position, albeit quite lazily, Remi strode over to see what it was the petite fae might have. He grinned wolfishly at her use of humans, but also the jab at their stupidity. The lichen was also a hilarious touch. Her other two offerings were just as quaint, and Remi found himself nodding with both surprise and appreciation.

Clapping his hands with a slow sarcastic rhythm, he folded his arms and leaned roguishly against the side of the wagon. "My, my. Someone came prepared. Alright then, what sort of weapon are you thinking of? A hair pin that grows into a sword? False eyelashes that can stun? Shoes that always find that oh-so delicate place between a man's legs?"

THE
ALCHEMIST

Table coding by Sky
Jiao Chen
Seamstress

Change author:

"Well, it didn't help your pitch much." She shrugged.

It seemed he was interested in what she had to bring. Jiao found herself relieved; she had assumed people outside the Greatwood would find worth in what she had to bring, but it had been an educated guess at best.

At Remi's clapped hands then painfully condescending list of suggestions, she raised an eyebrow and tilted her head, putting her things back in her bag. "No, nothing quite like that. I was hoping for a knife, to you know, cut people with. And it can look pretty or cute or whatever, cos obviously that's what I need, right?" Jiao was well aware she dressed nicely and presented herself in a feminine matter, but it was hardly all that mattered about her nor something she took kindly to being mocked. "The important thing is that it needs to be something I can easily hide and get out quick."
Jiao
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:
"I was offering free magical items. I wasn't aware that required a pitch."

Grumbling at this, the alchemist fixed the fae with a stern look. "Before you accuse me of being a male pig for daring to suggest more feminine-focused tools, remember this: the best weapons are the ones no one sees coming. Hairpins, eyelashes, shoes...no one would find it surprising to see you with them."

Still, Remi wasn't here to dictate what Jiao should or shouldn't ask him for. As before he was merely a humble alchemist; this time though, he was getting paid for it. "Well, there are already knives that do that. Switch-blades, they're called. You press a button and a blade shoots out. Then again, we could make you a knife that appears in your hand as soon as you want it to."

THE
ALCHEMIST

Table coding by Sky
Jiao Chen
Seamstress

Change author:

"Well, that much was obvious." Jiao retorted, though the little smile on her lips suggested she wasn't trying to genuinely rip at the Alchemist anymore.

While he perhaps had a point, she still felt he'd sounded rather like a male pig. Still, she didn't belabour it, just shrugging an indifferent agreement. The less she had to argue with this rather insufferable human, the better.

"Mmm...but I'd like something that isn't as easy for someone to steal. Something magical, that will appear for me and stay on my person. You should be able to do that, right?" If not, she was sure she could find a Fae smith willing to try.
Jiao
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:
'Uh huh." Remi tittered, rolling his eyes slightly. Like the fae, he agreed it was best to simply let the past remain where it was.

Arms crossed over his chest, the alchemist fixed the fae with an amused look that began to border on impatient. "I am an alchemist, not a designer. I've given you my ideas and you've shot them down. So I'm all ears to know what it is you'd actually like."

THE
ALCHEMIST

Table coding by Sky
Jiao Chen
Seamstress

Change author:

Jiao just about resisted the temptation to roll her eyes up to the sky - were she and Remi just communicating on entirely different planes? She thought they had been coming to a consensus, a final idea, but Mr.Sensitive had decided to get grumpy because she hadn't fawned over his first plan.

"A knife that appears in my hand, like you said. Maybe we could make it an enchantment on a ring, or something, but one that doesn't look fancy so people won't try to take it." Seemed like a solid enough concept to her.
Jiao
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:
"So a ring that turns into a knife on your command?" The alchemist asked, brow raised. Though he had nothing but time to spare these days, he didn't really want to spend it endlessly going over ideas. Normally his customers came to him knowing what they wanted, not fawning offence over his suggestions.

So long as she didn't continue to waffle on this, Remi would reach for her hand so that he could properly size the ring. She'd find his fingers calloused and hard, absolutely not the sort one would find themselves glad to be holding for long stretches of time. The ring would appear; silver that smelled of thunder for a moment, with elegant waves brushed against the side. Pretty enough that Jiao would not have her look dulled-down by it, but not so grand that it would appear worth stealing. On mental command, it would turn into a dagger in her palm. Perfectly weighted, and always wickedly sharp.

THE
ALCHEMIST

Table coding by Sky
Jiao Chen
Seamstress

Change author:

"Yes. Exactly." Jiao confirmed, waiting to see what Remi would do. It seemed it had taken them a minute to get to a consensus, but now they were on the same page. Especially when Remi took her hand and placed on it a simple ring; she pulled her hand away and thought of the knife in her fingers and found it there.

A grin spread across her face. "That's just what I wanted. What do you want in return for it?" Would he take everything she had brought? She supposed it wouldn't be the end of the world. The Greatwood was always there for her to pick from (this viewpoint perhaps showed how much respect she held for her home after seeing the more exciting parts of the world).
Jiao
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:
"The lichen and the statue." He grinned at the latter offering, quite liking how Jiao had said earlier that it could be used to trick the humans. Though he was one, he found himself more on the outskirts of his own race lately and quite liked the idea of using human stupidity against his own kind. "Perhaps I can make it say odd phrases and tell everyone that it's ancient fae wisdom." He added with a dark chuckle, waiting for the fae to offer up her end of the payment.

THE
ALCHEMIST

Table coding by Sky