Let's Try This Again
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Age: 34 | Height: 5' 5" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 10 - Strg: 28 - Dext: 25 - Endr: 27 - Luck: 25 - Int: 1
MIA - Regular - Ragdoll Cat
Played by: lancydulac Offline
Change author:
MP: 0

As much as Sam had dived back into his Loreseeker work as a distraction from his difficulties at the moment, he actually found himself enjoying it very much indeed. There was something deeply satisfying about completing projects that he had control over, that could be done at a desk with no life-threatening danger or making any enemies. He had so been enjoying it (and avoiding his home) that he'd taken to bringing Mia to the Guildhall with him and not returning home overnight some days.

It was early evening, not that he was paying much attention to the time, and Sam had just decided to make himself another cup of tea. Mia slept on the table by his work, for the moment calm and relaxed (unlike earlier, when she had tried to make off with his quill several times in short succession); he had come to an end of the chapter of a short book on the Flora around the barrier he had started months previous, noting on the effects of the now-vanished energy shield on the local plantlife. A thrilling topic, to be sure.

Setting the tea back on the table and picking up his quill, wondering how to illustrate the corners of the new chapter page, he found a relaxed contentment inside himself he had not for quite some time. Had he forgotten the simple joys of his craft? If he had, he knew he had to be careful not to do so again.

Samuel
He took a step but then felt tired
He said, I'll rest a little while
But when he tried to walk again
He wasn't a child

Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Provost of the Loreseekers Soul Shepherd
Portal Guardian
Age: 36 | Height: 6'2" | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 12 - Strg: 30 - Dext: 45 - Endr: 38 - Luck: 42 - Int:
ISUMA - Mythical - Griffin (Venomous)
Played by: Cirago Offline
Change author:
MP: 10170
Jigano had been a busy Provost lately, ushering in new recruits, holding meetings with recently returned ones, tidying shelves and re-stocking the perishables, and generally holding up his office of guild leader with renewed determination in the wake of Long Nights and Fiat Luxes, tragedies piled atop failures, insults added to injuries. If he slowed down, if he stopped, if he lingered too long on the memories of death and loss and compounded pain, he knew he might break again beneath the weight of all that was required of him.

So he didn't.

He threw himself into his guildwork and into building up defenses against threats both real and imagined, and into trying to expand the Loreseeker networks and allies within the Hollowed Grounds and as long as he didn't pause too long he made it through each day too tired to have nightmares, wrapped in Rory's arms and trying not to envy his lover's seclusion from the world.

Too much time to think would be his undoing though, he well knew.

He had seen Sam around more often lately, and he had taken that as a good sign. He was glad to see his friend doing less work for the Voice and more for the Guild, and Isuma was happy to have a playmate around. He had been content to work quietly around his Ascended friend and let them find a comfortable rhythm without pushing the boundaries, but tonight as he left his office and locked the door behind him he paused and went to make a cup of tea of his own before joining Sam at the table, nodding companionably to his friend. "You've been making good progress on that," he complimented as Isuma yawned from her spot in a chair near the fire. "When do you think it'll be ready to put on the shelf with the finished works?"
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Age: 34 | Height: 5' 5" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:

When Sam had seen Jigano in the guildhall, he had only smiled and it had seemed that the Provost was fine with that level of interaction too. Even though each time it had hurt a little as he remembered the friendship they used to have, he'd been content for the time being with the brief moments. Eventually, he knew they'd have to talk.

So when it came to this evening and Jigano actually sitting down with him, he had expected it and was actually relieved, leaning away from his work and carefully lifting the quill to rest on it's stand by the inkwell, going to pick up his tea to occupy his hands instead.

"Thank you. I...think it'll be done in the next two days. There's just one more chapter to add, then I'll need to put on the final bindings." It was a short project, one he'd picked up so he could have a victory sooner rather than later. "Then I intend to begin work on the Lore and Legends tome again...it's been a while." They both knew why, so he didn't elaborate on that.

Looking up to Jigano, he smiled softly before saying over his tea: "I've...been enjoying the work. I've decided to try and do much more here, as much as I can."

Samuel
He wasn't a child

Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Age: 36 | Height: 6'2" | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
Sometimes friendships needed a little time to breathe and heal over. They had certainly tested theirs to the limit in recent seasons, and there had been a time when Jigano had been certain that Sam wouldn't remain - with him as a friend, or with the Loreseekers as a Guild since he ran it - due to their religious differences. He didn't make it easy for Sam, admittedly... but Sam didn't really make it easy for anyone who'd been Blighted or threatened by the Voice, either. It was a thorny, touchy subject without right answers or easy paths. The bard was just glad that they'd been able to weather it so far, and spending time working together seemed to be helping to find those similarities that had drawn them together in the beginning, reminding them of what they shared rather than what divided them.

The book of flora was something he thought Kai and Oia would be particularly interested in, and his eyes brightened with pleasure at hearing that it would be done so soon. "I'm looking forward to reading it when it's done," he said eagerly. Many a time he had been found walking the Woodlands with an herbal from the Atheneum in hand, identifying plants with it, or using the plants he recognized to decipher an unknown language the book was written in. "And I'm particularly excited for the Legends book. I don't get to hear nearly enough of the stories around here that don't have to do with immediate survival." His expression was rueful as he sipped his tea. Legends of things like Land sharks and Spark birds, Spire Demons and LongNight monsters were all too real. He would dearly love to read some local tales that were just whimsical and harmless.

He smiled back at his old friend, nodding in complete agreement. "We've had an influx of new recruits that have been keeping me hopping," he admitted with a chuckle. "I need to send at least one of them to practice handwriting with you. Quanil is their name, a young farmer who joined us right after Fiat Lux. They're young... so I'd like to start them off with some easy work. Copying over some of the older books in the Atheneum in fresh ink, sort of thing, once their writing passes your approval for it. If you'd be willing to take on an apprentice of sorts?" he asked with his usual arched brow, though this time he was smiling beneath it. "They already know their letters, at least, but if you're still working with Maea perhaps they can join in?"
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Change author:

"Hopefully it'll live up to expectations...sometimes I feel like I'm trying to capture a memory of when I first read books here, that I never quite can." Maybe it was a thing of childhood innocence and nostalgia; most things were better the first time around and when he had been young the Atheneum had been a grand place of escape, seemed much bigger, more mysterious. Many years spent there had given him a great deal of comfort in the place, but had also stripped away some of the magic.

As for the Lore and Legends, in some ways he was actually glad to have taken a break: it had allowed him to explore and gather more stories. "It's certainly going to be the most diverse selection in the Atheneum. I've found some Fae stories and some from Halo. I'm considering having a section for Outlander myths or tales I've heard too." After all, he'd asked several people for their stories.

"An influx?" Honestly, Sam had thought when the new lands had become accessible and adventure called, the guild would have suffered a loss of members, but it seemed he had been overly cynical. As for an apprentice...well. It meant he'd be more committed then he'd necessarily like to be, but it was something he'd wanted for a while. "I could try and teach them the basics, see how it goes. Do you...know Loren has left us?"

Samuel
He wasn't a child

Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Change author:
"Memories are generally safer than the present," Jigano agreed ruefully. "It's a delicate balance, to try and evoke those recollections of 'first times' and days when the world was smaller." The present could surprise you with new pain and new death around any given corner. At least the memory of the past was firm. The pain was real, but faded with time, and there was nothing new about it. There was a comfort in knowing what to expect from the past. Living there, though, was no life at all, at least not for the foxy bard.

Besides, the future contained a book of Lore and Legends, and it was always nice to have something to look forward to that hadn't yet been ruined by death and tragedy. "That sounds excellent," Jigano agreed with a smile. "There's something satisfying about picking up a book of stories that big. Something to entertain a household through the week of LongNight, perhaps. I'm sure we can invite more Outlanders to share their tales... but who have you heard Fae stories from?" He'd thought the Ascended had been banned from the Greatwood for quite some time now, and even before then they hadn't exactly been welcome. He was curious how his friend would have learned tales from that tight-lipped race when they had so far proven unwilling (or unable, thanks to Delah's grip on their Undercroft) to even trade books when Jigano had approached some of them about it.

"Some at Fiat Lux, others... well, others just looking for a purpose and a place to belong, I think," Jigano confirmed. "Quanil I've mentioned, Tarasha is a Fae who shares a curious nature and love of books and learning, I think I already told you about Ingrid? And Aonghas, another Outlander, asked to join just the other day." He paused his happy chatter as Sam dropped a bombshell into the conversation, and the Provost lapsed into stunned silence as he turned the words around in his head, trying to make sense of them. "Ah... no. No I did not. What... when did this happen? What did he say?"
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Change author:

"I don't have a lot of happy memories from my childhood...the Atheneum is one of the only ones. I...suppose that's why I want to recreate it so badly." Perhaps a little too personal for a friendship just rekindled, but that was naturally where the train of thought had lead him. "I don't think I can do that though, so...I'm just trying to do the best work I can."

Sam tried not to read any suspicion into Jigano's question about the Fae stories, hoping it was just a simple curiosity he'd ask anyway, not a half-accusation of him breaking the agreement with the Greatwood. "Well, there's always been some very ancient books in the Atheneum with stories that tell of Fae, so some of them are from there -- but also I met a lady in here recently...Nephele, was her name. She told me the true Capturing the Sun legend." If he was being truthful, he'd also learnt some things during his time in Sidhe just before the Blight, but did not mention those.

"Yes, you told me of Ingrid. The others...maybe we should have some kind of meeting soon. Not quite a party..." He laughed at the idea of Jigano trying to host anything like the 'parties' he'd heard of at the Artist's Sanctuary. "...But an evening together." The old Sam would have never suggested a social event, but now he actually found himself curious to know more about their new members and eager to meet them. He took a sip of his tea as he reflected on this, wondered if that was really the reward for all his hard work of the last years.

It seemed Jigano did not know about Loren. "I saw him here taking his books away..he said he was going to Halo. His partner died in the Greatwood fire and I think...he seems ruined by it." Sam sighed, frowning, unsure of what else to say. There certainly wasn't a way to fix the situation.

Samuel
He wasn't a child

Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Change author:
Jigano nodded quietly, knowing some of Sam's history. Enough, at least, to appreciate what a haven the Atheneum had been for a young, reedy Wordsworth who didn't live up to his father's unattainable expectations. "It's good work," he praised his friend and guild Chronicler. "You've the finest hand in the Guild, and the illuminations add a wonderful touch to the chapter pages." A personal touch that set Sam's pages and chapters of the guild logs apart from everyone else's, even more distinctive than handwriting alone.

The bard hadn't thought many Fae would talk to an Ascended, truth be told, but he frowned slightly at the mention of books in the Atheneum. "That's... odd..." he mused, half to himself, but there was a flicker of uncertainty in his eyes as he looked at the redhead who loved the Voice so dearly that he would lie for her. "We combed the Atheneum for books that told of the outside world before the Barrier fell and couldn't find anything. The book that Safrin led Amalia to in the Underground library was the only one with even a hint of a mention of them, and even that didn't name them outright." It had taken a quest from Safrin to learn about the Fae before their unfortunate first meeting with the winged people of the north, but the bard's suspicions faded somewhat at the mention of Nephele, and he nodded an acceptance of the story.

Sam? Suggesting a party? Jigano's smile returned as he sipped his own tea, giving a satisfied nod at how much his friend had changed in the past year. "Yes, I was thinking of something like that. I'll be holding a class on Flora and Fauna of the Hollowed Grounds for our more recent Outlanders soon, and might see if any would be interested in joining us after that, but then.... yes, a nice evening together would be good. Especially if Amalia is up and about by then." Deimos's task wasn't far from his thoughts, and he wished the General the best of luck and the swiftest collection of what he needed.

Alas, it sounded as though they'd be one less when that night came, and the bard's expression grew troubled. "Yes... I was there that night. What happened to Abasi was... it was a hard thing, Sam. I am unsurprised that Loren needs time away from where his lover died. But did he say that he was leaving the Guild for good?" Time to mourn was not to be rushed, and Jigano had promised Loren could have that time when it had been Remi's absence that caused his sorrow. With Abasi gone, it was the least of what the summoner likely needed. "I should try to see him soon, and find out what he needs from us, or if there's any way the guild can support him in this difficult time."
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Change author:

Sam smiled, in a way that seemed like his cheeks would have flushed if he still had the blood for it. "Thank you. I've had many years of practice - I'm sure everyone will learn." Not that bookmaking, at least not in the classical and decorative sense he had been taught, was a common skill now; his desire to take on an apprentice was born of the knowledge that the craft was slowly dying out.

"Oh. Um.." Pausing and sighing, Sam knew he'd have to admit something embarrassing, though maybe not what Jigano thought. "Honestly, I need to fact check a lot of them with Nephele, if she returns, because...erm, well, there's a lot of old books with parts I can't translate, and I thought one of the words might be Fae. But in the last week when I looked at them again, I wasn't quite sure...? So..." He chewed at his lip. This was particularly shameful for him because he valued accuracy of information and the correctness of his books greatly. "I do think though that some stories must have travelled from before the barrier to people here, and to their children, and so on. There might be something there, even if it's not in the same form. This is partly why it's such a big project - there's a lot to check on."

It seemed like Jigano was receptive to his idea so Sam smiled back, happy to find only a little of the usual dreading anxiety sat in his chest now he knew he had a social event to attend.

As Jigano digested the news about Loren and the loss of Abasi, Sam learnt that his friend had been there at the night of the fire. Concern on his face, he asked: "Are you alright? What...happened to Abasi, exactly?" He could guess, but the way Jigano described it as 'hard' made him think there had been something more. "I don't know if he's leaving the guild or not. He didn't seem to want to talk much...understandably, of course."

Samuel
He wasn't a child

Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Change author:
"Anything you can teach the newcomers about writing in a legible hand will be well worth the effort," the Provost admitted wryly. Much as he loved reading his Seekers's reports and journals, it was so much easier when the writing was clear enough to glide over rather than having to fight to decipher every third word!

"Perhaps Tarasha can help, if Nephele isn't around?" he suggested. "Once you meet them, that is. Though any bridges we can build among the Fae should be pursued." He understood about untranslatable old books, the bane of his first few months in the Atheneum. "Your experience in the Atheneum makes you well-suited to sifting out the grains of truth in the old stories," he agreed. "This is where that whole not-sleeping thing comes in handy." It was a gentle bit of teasing, almost hesitant, unsure of where their boundaries were now.

A party, though - or at least, a quiet little mixer (though Ingrid would likely be intoxicated and encouraging them all to a rowdier celebration) - would be just the thing. Perhaps Sam could be convinced to mix up a special blend of tea for the occasion? But before he could ask, the news of Loren's departure drained the warmth from the air and left him grasping after ways to help. "I wasn't hurt," he waved off Sam's concern with a grateful smile. "There was a luxere with fiery antlers who must have come through the portal in the Mathair somehow. It accidentally started a fire in the Greatwood, so those who saw the smoke went to try and put it out. Abasi and I were trying to save the Mathair itself while others tried to calm the little beast or put out the other fires..." He trailed off, sighing slightly. "I'm not even quite sure what happened, there at the end. It looked like it was calming down and then there was a last... pulse? Lash? Explosion, almost... of fire around it. Abasi caught the brunt of it somehow. He burned... I think he was dead before he hit the ground. Loren was right there when it happened. He... probably blames himself," Jigano admitted with a sigh. He knew how Loren felt, and could all too easily imagine Rory or Amalia or Sam in a similar situation.
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Change author:

Sam laughed and nodded. "I'll be sure to teach them a steady hand, if I can." He prided himself on his neat, legible writing and was sure he could at least train the Loreseekers to write well enough to be understood.

He agreed that it was a good idea to build as many bridges with the Fae as he could, even though he found himself anxious to meet them; Sam knew well that a lot of the Fae still held anger over what had happened at the Mathair (whether right or no) and may hold him in disdain, especially once they learnt he had actually been a part of the event itself. Still, there was nothing else to do but continue. "Yes - it means I can keep working when I want to. Do you know what kind of time Tarasha usually arrives? I could try stay for them."

The story Jigano told was horrific and almost beyond belief. "...Through the portal? From where?" If there were fire-antlered Luxere wandering around in one of the newly revealed lands, Sam thought he might like some warning of it. "..That's...awful, what happened to Abasi. I...suppose at least it was fast, but...that's probably not much comfort to Loren." Frowning, Sam hugged himself and felt again a little guilty for talking of his own relationship woes next to Loren's massive grief.

The new sombre mood reminded him of what he'd wanted to say to Jigano the next time they spoke. "...Um...there is something I'd like to say to you, if that's alright."

Samuel
He wasn't a child

Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Change author:
It was good to hear Sam's laugh again, and Jigano smiled in return, knowing that if anyone could teach the newest crop of Seekers, it would be the Chronicler. Confident that his friend would manage, the bard let the topic drop, though the subject of the Fae was always a bit more fraught. This time, at least, they managed to tiptoe out of the minefield without setting off any explosions, and he relaxed even as he could only give a wry shrug to Sam's reasonable question. "Like Ingrid, they don't live here, so they aren't really here on a regular schedule. But hopefully if you meet them at the party we're going to plan you'll be able to arrange a time that works for both of you."

Alas, this was Caido, and there was always more tragedy to relate, tales of loss and death, curses and broken hearts. He shook his head at Sam's question, shrugging again and wishing he knew for sure. "At a guess, Halo? There are supposed to be luxere herds there year-round, but I don't know if we'll ever know for certain." He winced, wrapping his fingers more firmly around his tea as he nodded to Sam's astute observation. "No... not much comfort at all, I'd imagine."

Generally speaking, that phrase never ended well, but Jigano braced himself to stay calm and open-minded, reminding himself of the bridges they were trying to rebuild. The days of being able to assure Sam that he could tell the white-haired bard 'anything' were behind them, but he was determined to hold his temper no matter what the bookmaker revealed. "I won't know until you tell me," he pointed out, finding a wry smile for his friend. "I can at least promise to listen, though. What is it?"
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Change author:

Meeting someone at a party really was not a strong suit of Sams but he nodded, hoping that he might be able to manage it at a Loreseeker party, which was destined to be a calmer event (unless this Ingrid had her way).

"I didn't see any creatures like that in Halo...but I did not venture from the mountains." That such horrors could have been lurking just around the corners put his whole trip in quite a different light; almost a fitting metaphor actually, since he'd taken that journey with Nathaniel, at the time sure they were getting closer, unaware of the lingering disaster waiting to make itself known.

Jigano found a smile for him, something Sam greatly appreciated; he took a moment to collect his thoughts before he spoke. "I have had...a very bad couple of weeks. I...actually almost died." He held up a hand then, trying to indicate Jigano could ask him questions when he was done. "Not just that, either. But it did make me realise I appreciate very much the things I have, that perhaps I have begun to take for granted. Your friendship and the Guild are some of those things. So..."

With a returned smile, Sam looked more into Jigano's eyes. "I want to really make an effort to be friends. Let's not, if we can help it, even mention...well, you know..." He tilted his head from side to side, leaving out 'The Voice'. [b]"Neither of us will stop what we do, but we get on well, don't we? I don't...see why we can't keep doing our work here harmoniously."

Samuel
He wasn't a child

Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Change author:
"I've seen luxere there, but none others with antlers that burned with true fire," Jigano admitted. "It might just be a sport, one of those unusual types that crop up once ever couple of generations or so." He'd seen a herd when flying over Tundra with Loren, but they had been normal. A good thing, too; neither the Hollowed Grounds nor the Greatwood needed any extra help catching fire in this dry season.

Sam knew him well. At the mention of nearly dying the bard tensed, but he held his questions at the bookmaker's gesture, even if his fingers clenched dangerously around his cup with concern. It had become a distressingly common occurrence, these declarations of near-death experiences. He hoped Sam could see that it was bad for the white-haired man's blood pressure. But then Sam smiled back, warm and hopeful and looking so much like the man he used to be - but now with more confidence and self-assurance - that Jigano caught his breath.

Sam's suggestion was one that the bard had tried to make, back before Sam had regained his fingers. That the ginger man was making it now didn't change how badly Jigano wanted it, and he nodded gladly. "I'm very happy to hear that you think that way," he said quietly. "And I would like that, too. You are a friend and a guildmate I've been through a lot with. You, me, and Amalia... we three are the heart and core of the Guild. I don't want to lose either of you if there's any choice in the matter."

His warm smile faded a moment later through, silver brow arching as the concern Sam had to know was coming came back over his expression. "But what happened this time? Did someone try to kill you again?" Shadows of Roana returned for a bare moment, but were quickly banished. He'd stood deathwatch over her corpse and seen her soul bouncing in Ludo's care; she was one that wouldn't be coming back, ever.