give me a life time of promises (open)
the Firebrand
Headmaster / Grand Healer

Age: 29 | Height: 5' 11' | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 11 - Strg: 32 - Dext: 33 - Endr: 35 - Luck: 39 - Int:
ASTRA - Mythical - Luxere
Played by: Crooked Offline
Change author:
MP: 3415
Despite what Loren might want, he found it impossible to retreat fully from the world. If nothing else, he needed to do enough to keep himself alive. He’d also made promises before everything had fallen apart, and keeping himself busy and keeping his word were both important.

Otherwise, he was left alone with his own thoughts.

Which was why he found himself in Torchline once again, though this time he’d dressed more sensibly, in a shirt, shorts, and sandals. It didn’t exactly make him look like a native, but at least didn’t make him stick out like a sore thumb. There was a knife on his hip, and he held his staff, which should hopefully deter more attacks even if his still blank expression didn’t. Astra was by his side: she didn’t love the heat, but she did like exploring new places.

He didn’t, not anymore, but it was at least something to do. This time, after exiting the portal, he’d gone towards a tall structure in the distance. Given how the Spire dominated everything in the Hollowed Ground, he was a little curious to see what this particular tower was. Just a little.

When he got closer, he realized it was a lighthouse, which he supposed made sense. Stopping, he stared up at it, wondering what the steady light at the top was.
LOREN
Not quite an open book
Maea Valair
Hollowed Grounds Ambassador / Loreseeker

Age: 29 | Height: 156 cm / 5'1 ft | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 4 - Strg: 22 - Dext: 22 - Endr: 25 - Luck: 21 - Int:
Played by: Chan Online
Change author:
MP: 1917
Don't paint wonderful lies on me that wash away
"Apparently there is a shrine up there," a light voice said from somewhere off to one side. "I've not gone up to check yet, though."

Perching on a rock not far away, Maea smiled at him from the shade cast by the tower. She had pulled the shawl up over her head, and her face was cast in shadows, doubly shielded from the sun. Despite the heat, she was still dressed in the same long-sleeved gown, with its hem in slightly bigger tatters and the cuffs a little more frayed from wear.

"Hi Loren. Didn't think I'd see you here." The girl stood and came walking towards him, feet stepping carefully as she picked her way over the rocky ground.
♦ Violence, magic, thievery is permitted with Maea at all times. DM me if you have any ideas ♦
the Firebrand

Age: 29 | Height: 5' 11' | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:
As the now familiar voice spoke up, Loren glanced over at Maea. ”Maea.” He nodded in acknowledgement, while Astra peered curiously at the woman. For his part, he simply returned his gaze to the top of the lighthouse. "Are you planning to?" The question came out as disinterestedly as most of his questions did these days, without the bright spark of curiosity he'd once been known for.

Her comment caused him to frown slightly, though it was barely perceptible, just a slight tightening in his eyes and a slight downturn of his lips. "Why's that?" Again, it wasn't entirely clear whether her comment had bothered him or if he was just responding because that was what was expected of him.
LOREN
Not quite an open book
Maea Valair

Age: 29 | Height: 156 cm / 5'1 ft | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
"Yes, I thought I would. Just needed to rest before heading up... There is a lot of stairs." The girl nodded, appearing not at all phased by his lack of vibrancy. Torchline was colorful enough on its own to brighten the mood, Loren did not need to help it along if he wasn't up for it. After their conversation in Halo not too long ago, she knew why he was withdrawn, and that there was little point in trying to draw him out.

Smiling at the luxere, she held out her hands for it, offering to come closer if it wanted to say hello. "Oh, this place is so big. Of all the shores and all the places to see, why should I expect to come across anyone I know?" Which was part of the reason she came at all.

But it didn't look like she minded the company, and her tone was as light and even as his were dull and listless.
♦ Violence, magic, thievery is permitted with Maea at all times. DM me if you have any ideas ♦
the Firebrand

Change author:
Loren's eyes swept over Maea for any sign that her tiredness was a result of anything other than exertion. Seeing and hearing none, he nodded. "It is a lot of stairs, yes." Turning his gaze back to the top, he clasped his hands behind his back. "Would you like me to accompany you?" Astra, not particularly liking his monotone, headbutted him gently before trotting over to Maea for some scritches.

Watching the luxere's antics with maybe a little bit of a smile, Loren shrugged at Maea's explanation. "Because it seems to happen with alarming regularity, and we seem to run into one another in the places we least expect it?" He wasn't bothered by her presence either, even if he wasn't exactly chipper about it.
LOREN
Not quite an open book
Maea Valair

Change author:
The smile she gave him on noticing the scrutiny was reassuring. His healing had done a good job of repairing any damages she'd done to herself, and for now there was nothing amiss. If she was still less fit than she ought to be, it was not for lack of trying; she had resumed her morning runs again, and the rest of the training sessions she'd taken upon herself.

"Sure, if you want to. I hear it's dedicated to Vi and Safrin - I doubt either will show up to chat though." For all that the tone was light, almost joking, there was regret in her expression as she petted the luxere, clever fingers searching for spots behind the ears and around the horns where she thought it might be extra itchy.

"Well, there's that of course," she agreed. "Perhaps I should pack that tea next time I go out... just in case you do show up." A slight tease; they had been putting that particular even up for quite some time now.
the Firebrand

Change author:
As Maea scratched Astra, she gave a contented bleat, before rubbing her head affectionately against the woman’s leg. The luxere was careful to keep her softly glowing antlers out of the way. Loren watched it, a little bit of a crinkle around his eyes, though they remained dull. ”Probably not. I'm not Safrin's favorite person, or any of the gods really." There wasn't any regret in his voice, just a resigned weariness.

However he didn't move to start ascending the stairs either.

He felt his mood lightening a little bit as she teased him about their inability to have a normal cup of tea, though it was only revealed in the slightly less stiff way he held himself. "Probably not the worst idea in the world. I'll bring the pot, and we can both supply the hot water." It was his twisted version of a joke, and not particularly funny.
LOREN
Not quite an open book
Maea Valair

Change author:
Funny enough to make her laugh, at least. But then again, just hearing the attempt at a joke lightened her mood considerably.

"A fair trade to my ears. What shall we do for snacks, though? I'm not much of a baker, I'm afraid. I don't know that healing would restore your teeth once they've fallen out." Implying that her cookies usually made better weapons than actual snacks.

Grinning, she gave the luxere a final stroke and eased away a little, nodding her head towards the tower. "Shall we? I'm curious to see what it looks like up there."
the Firebrand

Change author:
Maea’s laughter was surprising, enough to earn her a slight smile from Loren. It actually stayed there as she explained she was less than competent in the kitchen. ”Only one way to find out, I suppose.” He shrugged. ”I’m a fairly decent baker, though, so I guess I can supply the snacks.” However, the description of what was essentially a picnic recalled another outing, one that caused his small smile to disappear.

Nodding, he swallowed slightly against the lump that had appeared in his throat. "Let's find out." He gestured for Maea to lead the way, though it was actually Astra who took the first step. She practically bounded for the lighthouse, then waited impatiently by the entrance for them.
LOREN
Not quite an open book
Maea Valair

Change author:
Baby steps, she thought as Loren's smile flickered into existence, then vanished. Her own smile remained in place as if she hadn't noticed anything. "Really? I look forward to testing that claim some day."

With a nod, she followed after the bouncing Luxere towards the lighthouse. Opening the door to let the animal in, she gathered her skirts and began the climb, keeping up conversation as she went.

"What have you found out about this place, so far?" she asked him. Keeping a hand on the guard rail, she dared a glance over her shoulders at him. Being a fellow Loreseeker, she assumed he probably had done some research already.
the Firebrand

Change author:
Nodding a bit absently, Loren found his fingers twitching a bit nervously. ”Really. I used to cook for the whole Manor. I'd be happy to make you a meal some time." Obviously he didn't sound happy, and was making the offer more by rote than anything else. But as he'd told her before that didn't make it any less genuine.

Astra happily started up the spiraling steps after Maea opened the door. He brought up the rear, letting the door close shut quietly behind him. As they both began to ascend the steps, he bit his lip as he considered her question. "That it's hot, sandy, and the locals aren't particularly friendly and possess unusual magics." Glancing up at her, he soon returned his attention to the steps. "How about you?"
LOREN
Not quite an open book
Maea Valair

Change author:
She brigthened at the offer, lackluster as it sounded. Maea had started to realize that it was the words that were important with this man, not how he said them. Neither a liar nor a trickster, at least not the way things were now. "Thank you, that would be great! Just let me know when you have the time to spare."

Working her way up through the tight spiral, she was glad that this tower wasn't as tall as the Spire. Before long her legs were sore an aching, a clear indication that she should shift focus in her training, from stamina to strength, and soon.

"Roughly the same, though I've not spent much time chatting to them so far. Been browsing map stores to try and get a better feel for the scale of the region. It seems to be fairly large, especially compared to Halo."
the Firebrand

Change author:
Loren nodded at Maea’s enthusiastic response. ”Sure. It’ll give me an excuse to visit the kitchens for once. Well, I suppose I’ll have to find them first.” Although it was subtle, there was a joke in there about his apparently distressing tendency to starve himself when he was stressed or depressed (so always).

As she explained what little she'd discovered, he pursed his lips thoughtfully. "You could do that." Then he shrugged. "Or I could go fly up there and see how much of it I can record once I'm back on the ground." It was mostly idle conversation, made between puffs of breath as he too struggled with the sheer number of stairs. Astra, for her part, continued trotting up them without trouble. "I'm not sure I trust the locals to give us accurate maps."
LOREN
Not quite an open book
Maea Valair

Change author:
"Oh dear, that bad? I would tell you off for not finding them sooner, but... The chefs at the VlamVloed would say I've no right." A wry grin; she'd been told off more than once for forgetting to eat, or for leaving a plate half full. Maea could relate.

"You know, that does sound like a good idea. I've mostly found sea charts so far, there's very little information about the terrain inland. Seems them locals mostly care about where they can sail their ships." The idea of drawing new maps was interesting, and made her itch to try some of the new things Sam had promised to teach her about binding. Perhaps, with a bit of effort, they could create an atlas.

Finally reaching the top of the stairs, Maea paused to breathe for a moment, trying to catch her wind again. Then she opened the door that closed off the topmost room of the lighthouse, and stepped aside to let the others in first.