Bring me that Horizon
for Remi <3
Maea Valair
Hollowed Grounds Ambassador / Loreseeker

Age: 29 | Height: 156 cm / 5'1 ft | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 2 - Strg: 22 - Dext: 22 - Endr: 25 - Luck: 20 - Int:
Played by: Chan Offline
Change author:
MP: 1897
Maea
Big dreamers shoot for open skies
In the end, it was the harsh winds of Halo that drove her through the portal. The persistent coughs had been getting worse lately and Maea dreaded the impending moment where her seizing lungs would demand bedrest. Thinking that perhaps the sunny skies and salty breeze she'd heard Sunjata talk about might be better, she ventured into Torchline on her own. Wanting to get a feel for the place, see what it was all about.

She was met with wide open skies. Sprawling towns under a glowing sun, teeming with people that spoke an odd dialect she had some trouble understanding. Endless beaches. And the ocean.

It pulled her in, drew her down to it like a sweet song just beyond her ability to hear. The rush and sigh of rolling waves spoke a language she could almost understand. The response was in her blood, in her hands, in the thrumming magic that begged her to reach out for these new waters, to come and play.

For the longest time the girl just stood there, staring. Feet slowly burying into the sand with each passing wave; she hardly noticed that it soaked through her skirts, plastering them to her legs up to the knee.

It was beautiful.

♦ Violence, magic, thievery is permitted with Maea at all times. DM me if you have any ideas ♦
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Age: 31 | Height: 5'11 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 15 - Strg: 68 - Dext: 60 - Endr: 100 - Luck: 93 - Int: 3
ORIA - Mythical - Spriggan (Ghost)
Played by: Odd Offline
Change author:
MP: 3059
i've been the prince, i've been the pauper, been the star and played the fool
The alchemist was there for an entirely different purpose. To build a grave. So it was he hardly noticed the roll of the surf on the sands or the relentless sun above. Then again, he'd been in Torchline long enough that the luxury of the paradise he found himself in had entirely worn off. His body was bronzed and his feet accustomed now to walking in the sand without shoes, though it was all hard to appreciate given how unceremoniously he and Ronin had been deposited on precisely this beach, with the body of their dead daughter swaddled next to them.

The alchemist's movements spoke of what a labour this truly was; for all his strength and near god-like magical abilities, still, he could think of no harder a task than this.

Trudging back from the docks where, had Maea been looking, she might have seen Ludo wrapped about Remi like a scarf, the alchemist walked passed Maea with hardly more than a glance. "You'll burn if you stand there like that." He mumbled, voice low and gruff, not at all the boyish and joyful sound it had once been. "The ocean makes you burn twice as fast." Reflected light and all that.
been the winner and the loser, in between them, too
Speaks with a thick Italian accent.
Force and magic can be used against Remi without permission.
Maea Valair

Age: 29 | Height: 156 cm / 5'1 ft | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
Maea
She thought it a stranger that walked past her, and would not have so much as turned her head unless he'd spoken to her. But he did, and she did, and it took a heartbeat or two before she registered that yes, it really was a stranger and no, he was not unfamiliar.

"Remi?" There was doubt in her voice, but enough recognition for the young woman to pull her ragged black shawl up over the head to shield her from the sun and hurry after him. "Is it really..? If I'm mistaken, I apologize."

Her steps were unsteady in the sand, in the pull of eddies at her feet. They were bare too. Maea had kicked her shoes off at some point, and could not quite remember where she'd left them.

Wasn't entirely sure she cared, either.

♦ Violence, magic, thievery is permitted with Maea at all times. DM me if you have any ideas ♦
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Age: 31 | Height: 5'11 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
Remi glanced over his shoulder and simply nodded once. It didn't surprise him that he hadn't been recognized. In the years since he'd last seen the pale woman he'd changed drastically; scars silvered his throat and amassed on his chest. His sea-glass eyes no longer sparkled with optimism and light. Even his curls seemed lacklustre now. Then again, it felt like a lifetime ago he'd stood in Maea's fields talking about the work that needed to be done on her farmhouse. He didn't pause to wonder whether she'd endured as many lifetimes as he had in the time that spanned between them; Remi now wore selfishness like a ill-fitting coat.

Barefoot too, and shirtless as well as he was wont to be in the heat, Remi continued onwards unbothered by the pale shadow he'd picked up.

"You're a ... follower of Ludo, aren't you?" The alchemist asked, his thickly accented voice only vaguely conversational in its gruffness.
Maea Valair

Change author:
Maea
She wasn't entirely sure why she kept following him. Maea did not usually go running after people, and this particular one showed no sign of actually wanting to engage in this conversation.

Perhaps it was the grain of kindness he'd blown her way. A stray dandelion seed drifting on the ocean breeze, to remind of who he'd once been. She did remember him, kneeling in her kitchen garden with earth covering his hands, gently bedding down new life into the soil. That smiling man seemed a far off thing now.

From beneath the cover of the dark rags, a pale face turned to regard Remi. Despite the bright sunlight and the mellow breeze, the girl looked rather spooky. "What gave me away?" she asked, and smiled.

Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:
Remi snorted at this, though whether out of amusement or acknowledgement was hard to tell. "I once had Ludo's mask. Or one of them I suppose. You tend to notice who carries other parts of it." Jigano's lantern. Maea's rags. Remi shrugged.

"What do you think of it? Ludo? Beneath all the trickery and bullshit. The games and ear flicks." Remi assumed the way it coddled him was the way it treated everyone, though how often it liked to lure him to his death and curse him seemed to be a unique part of their relationship. "Do you think it's as empty as it looks inside? Just squirrelling away souls, or is there..." He trails off, rolling his wrist to indicate all the words he couldn't articulate.
Maea Valair

Change author:
Maea
The revelation intrigued her, as much as the sudden eruption of words. My, was this conversation? She was honored. Flattered, even. And the topic was one she gladly delved into, as she kept shuffling along by Remi's side. Not quite able to keep the pace he set.

"I love Ludo," she replied, with open honesty. "It gave me sight when mine was disappearing, and let me dance with my brother on Fiat Lux, one last time. I've only ever been treated kindly by it."

Maea thought of the embrace she'd been given, of the time when Ludo had draped over her shoulders, much as it had Remi's so recently (not that she would know that).

"Perhaps I've been fortunate," she admitted. Finally admitted that there might be more than luck to the appearances of the masked Herald. "When it gave me the shawl, I was inside it, for a moment. It was... a void. Dark, suffocating... but very close. I wouldn't call it empty."

Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:
Remi chuckled darkly at that. "How lucky for you." Indeed their experiences could not have been more different . As to whether it was in fact forture or luck, Remi now only shrugged. "More likely you're just more clever than I. You grew up here after all. It would make sense that you'd not immediately offend the gods of this place."

Glancing over his shoulder at Maea, a stern and steely look in his eyes, he regarded her warily for a moment before nodding. "I've never had the pleasure of being inside of it. Just on the receiving end of its anger."

As they walked, the alchemist would reach down to gather various shells, placing them carefully into his pocket. "So not empty then, fine. But do you think it is...good? in its own way? Safrin strikes me as manipulative and vain, whereas Frey seems capricious and uncaring. Ludo though...is it careless? Careful?"
Maea Valair

Change author:
Maea
She considered him, pale eyes taking in the way he collected the shells, the hard eyes and the hard body too scarred for any softness to remain. Mulled over the question too, and did not mind if the silence got a bit dragged out before she found an answer.

"I never met the others in person," she said. "And I'll admit my experiences have been only good, so perhaps I am biased. But perhaps... you get a bit of what you give? An eye for an eye, so to speak. Death is very personal. I don't see why it's Herald should be any different."

It was hard for her to compare, or to speak of things that she had no knowledge of. No doubt Remi had already had a far deeper understanding of Ludo's nature than she, who'd only seen one side of it.

"I asked it once, if there was a way for the Abandoned to atone for the mistakes of the ones who came before. The answer I got was to 'use magic modestly, under the eyes of the Old Gods.' How would you interpret that?"

Leaning down, she picked up a white seashell that had caught her eye, and without a word Maea handed it to Remi. Not knowing the purpose, but joining in on it all the same.

Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:
"I have." He said softly. Frey too had cursed him upon his first meeting and since then, the alchemist had never made the effort to seek them out again. He explained as much to Maea with a shrug. "..my love for someone just up and gone simply because I didn't bring the right offerings or say the right things. As for Safrin? Well." Briefly his eyes flickered to the wedding band on his hand. Absently he rubbed at it as one might an old scar. "I have had more than my fill of her."

Collecting another shell, he silently let her words roll around his mind. Was death personal? It seemed a lonely and solitary thing. A thing that happened to them all. "Considering it was Ludo who cursed me with magic in the first place, I'm really not sure. What is modest for a mortal probably isn't for a god." Others might be able to wax philosophical about such topics, but Remi's mind was too pragmatic and uneducated for such things. The shrug of his broad shoulders suggested as much.

Stiffening for a moment, Remi eyed Maea warily indeed as she handed over the shell. He looked at her as one might regard a trap, before accepting the shell with a wordless nod of thanks.
Maea Valair

Change author:
Maea
She smiled as he took the shell, but it was subdued. Thoughtful. Perhaps the gods she loved were far more fickle than they wanted to let on. Or it was simply that their natures were too far removed from the humans to fully understand.

"Why do you ask these things?" she wondered. They were deep questions, and though she had not noticed Ludo on the docks the girl sensed that there was more behind them than mere curiosity.

Encouraged by his acceptance of the first shell, she began to search for more of them. An easy task on a beach, for sure, but as she didn't know the purpose for them, she picked only the most beautiful ones she could find. Ones that caught her eye, and made her want to stop and look again.

Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:
"When first I met Ludo it tried to get me to kill myself and then my mother. Then it cursed me. The next time it gave me its mask after once again trying to kill me...and when that was stolen, it took away the memories of all those I loved." This was said casually almost, new grief and heartache making those old wounds seem infinitely small. "And yet when I tried to kill myself at the Fiat Lux festival, it was nowhere to be found." Perhaps now the scars across his throat would make more sense. The ones that covered an ice-shape skewer on his chest too.

"Having come from it just now...apparently it doesn't approve of how I have been mourning my daughter. My lack of care for the world now that she's gone." Ruffling a hand through his curls, the alchemist squinted up into the cloudless sky for a moment. "I suppose I just wonder why. I asked it of course, but I got anything but a straight answer."
Maea Valair

Change author:
Maea
Well. That was rather a lot, wasn't it. A neat tally of events that made Maea's stomach twist, gut-punched from just hearing about them. Remi sounded like he was counting off items on a grocery list, not relating events from his own life.

No wonder that he was struggling. And there was absolutely nothing Maea could do to help.

"I'm sorry I don't have any answers for you," she said, quite softly. "Perhaps it might be best to assume there is no reason behind any of it. Not everything is riddled with meaning, in my experience. And if they are, then... it's like a prophecy. You will not know if it has come true until after the fact, anyway. No point in dwelling on it."

It was a tad fatalistic, but an attitude Maea had tried to live by herself for a while now. Trying to control everything was exhausting, and she had enough to worry about as it was.

Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:
"Wouldn't have thought I'd hear you say something like that." Remi said with the makings of a smirk twitching on his lips. He raised a brow at Maea before straightening to regard the clouds drifting lazily overhead. "You seem like a worrier. A thinker." Then again, that had been a long time ago and based on only a few interactions.

But it was as she said, it hardly mattered now did it.

"Ludo asked if it should give me purpose. It was probably a threat of some kind, but I'm not even sure that matters to me." Glancing towards her Remi nodded thoughtfully. "Would you take it up on its offer? Of purpose?"