superstition aint the way (open)
Saiden Hali
Smuggler / Cook

Age: 33 | Height: 6' 2'' | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 5 - Strg: 15 - Dext: 17 - Endr: 20 - Luck: 17 - Int:
Played by: Crooked Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
just take your time wherever you go
As Saiden walked towards Miana Pool in the distance, he had a stupidly happy grin on his face. Shirtless and barefoot, dressed only in a pair of shorts as was his preference (actually naked was his preference, but even he had to deal with appearance), he nevertheless had a cutlass belted to his waist.

The source of his joy was clutched in his hand. On a recent trek to the Rainbow Road, he'd stumbled upon a particularly beautiful stone in every shade of the rainbow that gave the road its name. He'd pried it out eagerly, then immediately headed towards the tranquil pool. Arriving at its side, he stopped, and just took in the beautiful sight for a moment.
Raza Ekambe
Owner of the Hanged Man

Age: 37 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 4 - Strg: 18 - Dext: 19 - Endr: 18 - Luck: 20 - Int:
HOA - Regular - Albino Granite Burmese Python
Played by: Astor Offline
Change author:
MP: 59
RAZA
I was really looking forward to some peace and quiet by the pool, but I guess I wasn’t the only on thinkin’ that. Or at least, I wasn’t the only one wanting to get out of the heat of Haulani - cause I’m not entirely sure Saiden is capable of deep thoughts. Trying to wipe the dismay off my face, I shoulder my bag and cross my arms over my chest. Then uncross them. This is a somewhat revealing tit-holder, and  I don’t really mind if he looks. Saiden's hot and he knows it, which I can't tell if I like or dislike.

I take a couple of steps closer and see him looking at something. Mmmmm. Must be a pretty rock. “Whatcha got there?” I ask, deciding I’m not going to be the one to tell him that the legends are just legends. I dont know anyone whose wishes have come true after throwing a pretty rock into the pool.
tonight the heartache's on me
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
Saiden Hali
Smuggler / Cook

Age: 33 | Height: 6' 2'' | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
Apparently, Saiden wasn't going to be alone out at the pool. Raza was there, and he gave her an easy grin, though his eyes stayed trained on her face. "A pretty rock." He lifted it to show her, turning it this way and that so its colors caught the sun. "I figured if I liked it, the L'ma might as well. You wanna toss it together?" He held it out to her, inviting him to join him by the water's edge.

With his free hand he pointed at the bag she had slung over her shoulder. "Whatcha got there? Anything the Ark might be interested in?"
Raza Ekambe
Owner of the Hanged Man

Age: 37 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
RAZA
A pretty rock. Well ain’t that the pinnacle of intelligence. Poor bloke.

I nod as he holds the the stone up, but then quickly shift to shaking my head. “Nah. All yours.” When I was a kid I might have eagerly said yes, hoping for a wish to be granted. But that kind of optimism and blind faith died years ago. Then he points to my bag (a small one, the kind for carrying fruit and a towel) and I stupidly look down at it. Cause it’s a stupid question.

“No…” I begin slowly. “This is mine.” A brief pause. “The Ark can’t have everything.” Even if Jack and the crew think they can, they’re wrong.

I sit by the water’s edge, laying said bag at my side. “How long are y’all in port for?” Jack hadn't mentioned that little detail yet.
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
Saiden Hali
Smuggler / Cook

Change author:
As Raza turned down his offer, Saiden shrugged. Then he spun and hurled the rock into the pool. It landed towards the center with a splash, and he grinned as he watched it sink.

Turning back to her, his grin widened at her response. "Fair enough. We would never dream of taking what's yours, though." His tone was sort of lazily playful.

As she sat at the water's edge he moved to join her. Idly, he made the water dance in front of him with his magic. Shrugging again at her question, he waved a hand vaguely in the air. "Until the Captain gets itchy feet. You know Jack." His voice was wryly amused.

Then, however, a thought struck him. An eager expression crossed his face and he turned to face her more fully. "Wait. You know Jack."
Raza Ekambe
Owner of the Hanged Man

Change author:
RAZA
I know I’m ‘off limits’ as an occasional partner-in-crime, but some things occasionally need reminders. Offering a half-grin back, “Better not,”  I jest as he tosses the rock into the pool. Else they’d lose a lot: a friendly bar, a mover, an occasional fuck buddy, and ear in Haulani. I’m about to let the conversation die at his noncommittal answer (he ain’t wrong, the Ark sails at Jack’s whim) when Saiden turns to me with a look. I know Jack? Of course I know Jack. We go back.

“Yeeeaaaah... ?” I ask. Is there a question coming or is it just a statement, like, ‘you know-know him’?
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
Saiden Hali
Smuggler / Cook

Change author:
Saiden grinned easily at Raza’s warning. ”Don’t worry. I know where the boundaries are.” Despite the fact that he wasn't the sharpest tool that sailed the Ark, he knew that business came before pleasure and wouldn't do anything to jeopardize that. He even placed a hand over his heart.

Leaning forward, the cook smiled disarmingly. "Right, so, maybe you can help me." Glancing around to make sure there was no one else around, he lowered his voice to a whisper. "I'm not the captain's favorite person, and I'd like to change that. Any chance you could give me some tips? Not asking you to betray his trust or anything, just like, behaviors or things to avoid, that sort of thing." His voice came out eagerly, despite the low volume. "I can make it worth your while." A favor for a favor, as everything important in Torchline was conducted.
Raza Ekambe
Owner of the Hanged Man

Change author:
RAZA
He knows where the boundaries are. Well that’s reassuring. Particularly when he follows it up with what’s meant to be a heartfelt (ha!) gesture. I’m skeptical, but relax a bit.

What Saiden says is not what I expected to come out of his mouth. Not phrased… like that. Give him some tips? For a moment I just stare blankly at the pirate, trying to compute. It eventually hits and and I seem to snap out of it, inhaling deeply, still surprised. Aight. A nod accepts his offer of a favor. “Uh, wellllll…” I begin, running my fingers through the ends of my hair and playing with the bits that get caught up.

“Your best bet is really just to be useful. And stop tryin’ to impress him, he can smell that a mile away.” I can’t remember how we became friendly, it’s been like a fuckin’ decade. Honestly, I thought Jack would probably be dead by now, but every time he comes back I find that I’m pleasantly surprised. “Find ‘im something useful. Unique. Or save his ass. Though sometimes you have to do that multiple times, so…” I shrug. Pirat-ing can be deadly, can’t it? Saiden’s just gotta be in the right place at the right time.
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
Saiden Hali
Smuggler / Cook

Change author:
As Raza finally agreed to give Saiden some advice about how to interact with Jack, the cook grinned, looking almost like a big puppy dog. However, his expression grew more serious as she gave him actually useful suggestions. Nodding thoughtfully, he turned to look at the pool.

”Already brought him something. Someone, rather.” He gave her almost a sly grin. ”I introduced him to a Fae, who is taking over for our late quartermaster.” There was something almost gleeful about the admission.

Still, his expression grew thoughtfully again. ”Guess it’s a good thing I can cook. I’ll just focus on that.” He nodded decisively then smiled at Raza. ”Thanks. Let me know about that favor.”
Raza Ekambe
Owner of the Hanged Man

Change author:
RAZA
Aight, so I could let the conversation go, but this is the rare instance where Saiden has piqued my interest. My head tilts slightly to one side as I look at him with a slightly raised eyebrow. “A Fae?” I repeat. Knowing most of Jack’s crew if not by virtue of them being Torchers, then by the familiarity of their faces at my bar whilst in port, I’m curious about the addition of someone new - especially someone whose people have historically kept to themselves. He had mentioned losing two to drowning, but this seems extreme.

“Never thought I’d hear of a Fae leaving the Greatwood...” Musing over the unheard of, I can’t help but wonder what else is going to come out of the those portals. And then another weird sense of protection - if not for Jack, then for everyone on the Ark. “You sure they can handle being on a ship?” I'm not doubting the Fae's ability to take care of themselves (rumor has it they've got some fierce half-animal warriors), I'm doubting their ability to hold their own on a rocking, rolling, rough-and-tumble fucking boat that routinely gets itself into potentially dangerous situations.
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
Saiden Hali
Smuggler / Cook

Change author:
Saiden grinned at having caught Raza off guard for once, though he nodded easily enough. ”A Fae.” Scratching the back of his head, his expression softened into a lazy smile. ”You can’t miss her, what with the wings and all. She’s got a nasty habit of sneaking up on people though. And chattering. A flash of annoyance crossed his face.

Shrugging, he glanced out at the horizon. ”Never thought I’d see a Fae period.” His voice came out in a bit of a grumble. Merpeople had been shock enough.

Smirking at her question, he gave her a sly look. ”Doubt it. But it’s not my call.” Laughing, he shook his head. ”Not sure she can handle Jack, to be honest.” There was something deeply amused about his entire demeanor.
Raza Ekambe
Owner of the Hanged Man

Change author:
RAZA
“Oh god.” I can handle the drunk ramblings from people at the bar, but intentional chattering at people is… a lot for someone like me. The drunks give me money so I endure it. Everyone else can fuck off. Anyway.

“I’ll keep an eye out for her,” I jest, “chattering ain’t my thing.” Or Jack’s, really. Loose lips sink ships, especially when you need to move in secrecy. Here’s hoping the Fae doesn’t talk too much, or she just might find herself with a knife between her wings. This declaration against chatter gives me a way out of the conversation, and I stand up, brushing the sand and tiny pebbles from their indentations in my skin. “Then I guess both of you need some luck, huh?”

I chuckle because to me, it’s funny.

“See ya around, Saiden.” Grabbing my bag, I shoot him a small, departing smile and head on back to the other beaches.

{Fin}
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3