(o) SPF Over 9000
Harper Quinn
the Stalwart
Teacher

Age: 33 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Nomadic
Level: 5 - Strg: 15 - Dext: 15 - Endr: 27 - Luck: 19 - Int:
Played by: Brit Offline
Change author:
MP: 9667
HARPER
This portal business still gives Harper the heebies, but who can truly complain about something as insanely cool and interesting as teleportation? It takes him some time to investigate the appearance of a new land, too caught up with the dramas and intricacies that are always spreading out in the Grounds it seems. A sticky web that sucks up his time and trips him up whenever he intends to strike out into Torchline.

Of course the promises of a beach win him over quickly enough, and as he steps through into blinding sunshine and miles of sand, Harper wonders why he didn't do this sooner. With a loud whoop of excitement he shamelessly tears his shirt off, glad to have already been wearing scandalously short shorts. It's hot enough in the Grounds, but it won't do to die of heatstroke his first day in Torchline. Without a care in the world he throws his arms out to the side and flops into the sand on his back, sending it spraying up and out and surely getting into crevices he'll have to wince over later.

Still worth it.
if brokenness is a form of art
I must be a poster child prodigy
Maea Valair
Hollowed Grounds Ambassador / Loreseeker

Age: 29 | Height: 156 cm / 5'1 ft | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 4 - Strg: 22 - Dext: 22 - Endr: 25 - Luck: 21 - Int:
Played by: Chan Offline
Change author:
MP: 1917
MAEA
Oh, if only she could enjoy the scenery with that kind of reckless abandon. Walking down the beach, Maea saw the joyous bout for freedom and smiled wistfully. Her own clothes were thin of fabric but long sleeves and full skirts billowing in the breeze, made to cover up as much skin as was humanly possible. Her usual black shawl had been pulled up like a veil over the head, casting a protective layer of shadow across her skin... but while it kept her from burning to a crisp, she was far from cool.

As she approached, the girl realized she knew this person, if only briefely. They had met at the VlamVloed a while back... and spoken not much at all. Still, he had seemed a fun acquaintance to make, so she did not try to alter her course.

"Hello, Harper," she said, and paused beside the young man. "First time in Torchline?" Looking down on him, there was a smile on her face, light but perhaps a bit shy.
I'm an angel bored like hell
And you're a devil meaning well
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
♦ Violence, magic, thievery is permitted with Maea at all times. DM me if you have any ideas ♦
Harper Quinn
the Stalwart
Teacher

Age: 33 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Nomadic
Change author:
HARPER
Sand, much like snow, is one of the best environmental materials in Harper's opinion. It broadcasts movement incredibly well, and though he's relaxed into the warmth of the earth beneath him, Harper is still far too paranoid to let any new land go unchecked. Cornflower blues open and flick across the horizon, landing on an over-dressed figure that approaches at a sedate pace. The albino-white hair is his first clue, and he smiles warmly at the woman as she approaches, recalling her from the Bar Incident.

She must recognize him as well, leaning over him and casting a shadow he is grateful for as he stares up at her without the intrusion of the sun into his corneas. "Hiya," he says cheerily, flattered that she has recalled his name. "I never actually got your name at the bar, mind making me look less like a jerk?" He grins up at her, not truly bothered by the fact that she knows his name and he doesn't know hers. Sitting up reluctantly he brushes some sand off his bare torso, chuckling. "Is it that obvious? I was always a beach kid, I'm gonna have to be peeled off this beach." It's said eagerly, more than excited to figure out how long he can camp out here before his curiosity drives him to discover more of Torchline.
Maea Valair

Age: 29 | Height: 156 cm / 5'1 ft | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
MAEA
Hunching down in the sand beside him, Maea wrapped her skirts close about the knees as Harper sat up. His smile was wide and bright, and almost as if in response, her own expression warmed, lured out of hiding by the boys openness.

"I'm Maea," she informed him. "Don't think anything of it, there were plenty of people around there. And you seemed quite distracted... by Libbs?" a pale brow rose beneath her bangs in a teasing, pointed question, made kind by the sparkle of laughter in her eyes. "I'm not really good with too many people around. Sorry for not speaking more that time."

Pale fingers moved up to her face, easing a stray lock of white hair in under the shawl and behind an ear. "I never saw the ocean before this portal opened," she admitted, gaze drifting off towards the glittering blue expanse. "It's far more beautiful than I thought. And bigger," she added, with a little laugh.
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
♦ Violence, magic, thievery is permitted with Maea at all times. DM me if you have any ideas ♦
Harper Quinn
the Stalwart
Teacher

Change author:
HARPER
Her pale face goes softer as he sits up, and he wriggles about in the sand to face her better like an overly large puppy. "Nice to meet you properly Maea," he says with a boyish grin. Turning immediately sheepish at the mention of Libbs, and the very late realization he'd had in the bar that she was flirting with him. Quite openly at that. At least she doesn't seem to be poking too much fun at him for that. "She's lovely," he agrees shyly. "We're both metalheads, so we hit it off fast. But I never expected well..that..." His gaze darts away in embarrassment, groaning and laughing as he slaps a hand to his face and smears it down dramatically. Harper feels he's far too old for such reactions personally, but sincerity and reciprocated flirtations simply didn't exist in his old world where everyone was jaded and grieving in some way.

A single muscled shoulder shrugs away her apology with a kind smile. "I could tell, and I understand. I wouldn't have wanted you to make yourself uncomfortable just to talk to me anyhow." It would have made him look back on their meeting with regret, and he certainly doesn't want to feel that way. Turning to look at the ocean with her, he props his arms up behind himself and stares into the endless horizon of water. "It's a force of nature all its own," he agrees softly, that same awe in his voice. "Where I came from we lived by an ocean, but it was far colder and rockier. I still swam frequently, but this is much more appealing." Grinning he digs his toes into the sand and flicks it up into the air, enjoying the heat on his skin as he burrows them deep.
Maea Valair

Change author:
MAEA
"Hmmm... well, it looked rather like she shared the sentiment," Maea teased, grinning gently at his embarrassment. It was quite unusual for someone other than her to be left in the role of blushing awkwardness, and she rather enjoyed it. As a nice change of pace. "Are you going to do anything about it?"

His understanding of her own quiet nature was appreciated too, and she nodded gratefully at his words. Looking out over the sea, Maea heard him speak of colder waters, of rocky shores and swimming, and her smile was rather wistful.

"Wish I could indulge in sunbathing and playing in the water too," she lamented. "No doubt I would burn to a crisp in no time, however... it's a bit of a curse." She indicated her face, the pale skin and hair devoid of color with a slightly rueful look. "Wish I would tan like other people. It would make life a lot easier. I hope you'll enjoy it for me too, yes?"
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
Harper Quinn
the Stalwart
Teacher

Change author:
HARPER
"A lapse in judgement on her part, clearly," he jests in return, eyes crinkling at the corners with mirth as the oceanic depths flicker in easy, playful self-diminishment. Even that cannot temper the heat that still lays claim to his cheeks, but at least it's a response instead of a tongue-tied sputtering attempt. Though her question definitely gives him pause. It seems wrong to give her a spontaneous answer that he hasn't thought over adequately, so Harper stares out at the sun glinting off the water and considers it with the weight he believes it deserves. "I'll admit, I'm not a typical man who would...court her, or whatever term is appropriate for this place. She's young and still adjusting to a new world. If she wanted to try such a thing with me I wouldn't say no, but I wouldn't want to pressure her into it either by doing the asking." The age difference between them wasn't very large at all, but she still seems young to him. Or perhaps he is simply too aged by his experiences.

Turning an inquisitive brow towards the pale woman, he considers her complexion anew. "You're albino, right? Don't they have sunscreen yet here? It's a cream that protects against the invisible, damaging rays of the sun. You could probably swim and sunbathe for at least longer than you can now with it." As a man of a modern time it's hard to remind himself sometimes that many things have not yet been invented. Maybe never will be, with the prevalence of magic in this world. But if it means Maea can enjoy a day in the sun, well damn maybe it's time for Harper to become a chemist. "But I'll certainly enjoy it on your behalf anyway," he allows with a cheeky grin, wriggling around like a content puppy to further prove his commitment to the idea.
Maea Valair

Change author:
MAEA
She regarded him as he spoke, wondering at the way he spoke. Like he was somehow far older than he looked, not just a mere handful of years more than Libbs. In truth, just looking at him, she would have guessed that they were about the same age. Younger than herself.

"It sounds to me like you're selling yourself a bit short," she told him. "How about you let her decide what she needs? If it's your presence, then great. If it's not, she will no doubt let you know. Just... try to be sure about yourself before doing anything, yeah?"

Maea smiled, not wanting to come off as patronizing. She was no expert on relations, far from it - all she had to offer was what small experience she was gaining herself on the subject. Being left alone would be far more preferable than being pulled along by someone who was only half in it, right Sunjata?

Maea looked down on her hands, milk white and stark in the bright sunlight, and nodded. "Yes, I am. I've... had some creams and salves before. Got a jar of it from Phoebe a while ago, but... it's not always enough. Not for the whole body, like I would need to swim." No doubt there might be ways to get around the issue - magic being one of them - but so far Maea had not found anyone willing to help her with this particular problem. It was only a minor inconvenience, something she was quite used to.

But she laughed at the way he wriggled deeper into the sand. Scooping up a handful of the grains, she let them drift on the wind over him, tongue poking out in his direction. "Oh come on, you don't have to be so overt about it. Think of my delicate feelings!" the girl rolled her eyes melodramatically, clutching at a supposedly wounded heart.
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
Harper Quinn
the Stalwart
Teacher

Change author:
HARPER
Harper is at first confused what Maea means by her words, his open-mindedness still no match for a lifetime in a different world. When he realizes, his mouth opens in a thoughtful expression before he responds. "Where I come from, surety isn't necessarily needed. People who have a mutual interest will go on dates: out to eat alone, or a walk along the beach. Getting to know one another. And if you're a good match you continue on into dedication to each other, or you mutually call it off. If she wanted to try that with me I'd be happy to say yes, but she already seemed so overwhelmed flirting at the bar. I'd rather she be the one to set the pace." Calloused hands dig into the same, making little indents and scooping up a few handfuls to let them run idly through his fingers. It's a pleasant sensation. "But don't worry, I don't go into anything even remotely close to love without being sure." The ever-present light in his blue eyes dims, and he turns his gaze away from Maea to try and conceal it. Many have turned themselves away from him due to his slow nature and trauma, and while it hurts he tries not to let it linger and make him self-conscious, with varying degrees of success.

It's easy for a soul as joyous as his to lock the darkness away and focus on his companion's plight, the anecdote she shares and the unfairness of it all. "You could try a full body swimsuit? Then you'd only have to protect your hands and face," he suggests kindly, hoping he's not overstepping his boundaries by assuming she hasn't already tried such things. Laughing when she tosses sand at him and using one of his partial handfuls to do the same in harmless retaliation. "I am too cruel and apathetic for such empathy!" Harper crows dramatically in response, flopping backwards spread-eagle into the sand.
Maea Valair

Change author:
MAEA
Maea tilted her head, trying to understand that kind of casual relation. When she thought about it, people probably did the same things here. Sought each other out, spent time, tried to know the other... but she still couldn't quite see how one would invest that kind of time and energy in another without being involved emotionally from the start. Was she the strange one, to plunge headfirst into the deep feelings? Or perhaps she had been lucky to find someone to connect so much with right away.

"I'm sure it'll work out fine," she said in the end, her gaze a little distant as she looked away to the sea. Scooping up more sand, she let that too drift on the wind to the boy in the sand. "You seem like a good person.. Don't Think you'd hurt her by choice." And what more could anyone ask for?
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
Harper Quinn
the Stalwart
Teacher

Change author:
HARPER
"I think it will," he agrees kindly. "I'm happy with whatever we're both comfortable giving each other. No expectations is the best way to go I've found." Expectations led to heartbreak and miscommunication faster than anything else. After being mistaken as a playboy most of his life, Harper is keen on avoiding that the older he gets.

Maea seems taken in by her own thoughts, and he doesn't bother her further about her swim apparel, instead spluttering playfully as the sand tickles against his cheeks. "I'm honestly flattered you think so highly of me already. Though she certainly is lucky to have you as well, to be concerned over the safety of her heart." A warm look is aimed her way, hoping to impose upon her the appreciation he feels on Libbs' behalf. "Though I... I'm not trying to be nosey, but it seemed like you and Sunjata were hitting it off?" His voice goes tentative and unsure. He holds no real grudge against the man despite his friendship with Phoebe, having not heard the man's side of the story. But he wonders if Maea knows, hopes she guards her heart as stalwartly as she does Libbs'.
Maea Valair

Change author:
MAEA
Oh, she had not meant to leave out her thoughts on the swim apparel. The thought had been nice, something worth considering - she was simply distracted by other thoughts, and failed to bring it up again. Before she could mention it again though, Harper had moved on, and Maea's cheeks flushed a little at the gratitude, for both him and Libbs. She tried to wave it off.

"Just a good first impression, for the both of you," she told him, with a half smile. "I don't presume to know either of you, it would be... hasty of me. Wouldn't it? But you are nice. Easy to talk to." And coming from her, it was... rather high praise. "I suppose I just prefer to see people happy? There's enough sadness in this world as it is, no need to add to it if it can be avoided."

Which sounded a little high and mighty, coming from someone who was trampling over other people's happiness to achieve her own. The flush deepened when Harper brought up Sunjata. Maea threw him a quick glance before turning back to look at the sea, the sunlight glittering on the waves. Dazzling, blinding... a little painful. Not unlike her feelings for the Flood.

"Well... you're not wrong," she admitted, unsure of how much to say. It was so fresh still, the Midnight Gathering only recently passed. "We've... grown close. I think it might work between us... and he says he wants to try." Digging her fingers deeper into the sand, her expression had softened, warming at the thought of the bartender.
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
Harper Quinn
the Stalwart
Teacher

Change author:
HARPER
"I'll take 'easy to talk to', that's a lot nicer than what some have called me," Harper chuckles. Of course most of those people had been zip-tied or handcuffed within minutes of meeting him, and as such didn't get much by way of weight to their words, but Harper still looks back on some of the more creative insults with a weird kind of fondness. Though her philosophy is not so misplaced here. "Hmm, I told Phoebe that almost verbatim when we first met. We're all human, and we'll all fail sometimes, but kindness and good intentions mean more than people think. I'd rather leave more good than bad behind when my life is done." A moral guidance that had taken him from the arms of slaughter and into the weighted mantle of protection.

Soft expression makes his own melt, and he smiles warmly at the lass if she will deign to turn her gaze his way. "To try is all he can promise. For what it's worth, I think anybody can move past failed entanglements with enough sincere emotion and motivation. I hope it works out for you two." Sunjata's happiness may rank lower than Maea's in Harper's desires, but it is her life, her heart to lead. He sincerely prays that they have found their fated ends in one another. "Though you'll have to give me relationship tips if it does," he tacks on playfully, throwing another small handful of sand at Maea with a cheeky grin.
Maea Valair

Change author:
MAEA
She smiled at him, clearly impressed by the level of depth in that line of thinking. All the more so coming from someone so young. "A very good way to look at life," she approved. "If only people could keep to that more. I know a good many people who could use the chance to look up from their own misery and not take it out on others. Or indeed let people's words carry so much weight." But it was easier said than done, and Maea knew it from personal experience.

Laughing as he asked for relationship advice, she held her hands up to shield from his thrown sand. "Thank you, Harper. I know it's not the prettiest turn of events that led up to this, but... hopefully it will be better from now on. Can't say I have any advice for you though, I've never... I mean, I have no idea how it came to this either. It just... happened."

Growing slightly more serious however, she sank down to sit in the sand, not minding that her dress became coated with sand in the process. "How... is Phoebe?" she asked him, rather tentative. "I haven't talked to her in... a good while. Thought it best not to, considering..." Considering the fact that Maea had more or less stolen the woman's husband, and was now gaining everything Phoebe had wanted and lost. It was... not fair. Especially not this soon after their separation.
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3