a beating heart of stone
Harper Quinn
the Stalwart
Teacher

Age: 33 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Nomadic
Level: 5 - Strg: 15 - Dext: 15 - Endr: 27 - Luck: 19 - Int:
Played by: Brit Offline
Change author:
MP: 9427
HARPER
Slowly he is making his way through the list of every area the Hollowed Grounds has to offer. Though each has their own little thumbprint of interest, it is always the people that make each outing worth it. For such a small settlement, the amount of people wandering around and running into each other is delightfully ridiculous. Perhaps it's due to the lack of things to do outside of running your own shop? No wonder history classes always used to bore him to sleep, the modern age is so much louder and more hectic.

Admittedly the peace is growing on him, though he still trains daily with the itching fear of getting out of shape. Being unprepared for the dark things Caido is all too willing to throw at its citizens. Staying still and growing complacent are antithesis to Harper's entire being.

So here he is, staring down some sort of weird structure that looks like it sprang out of a medieval fantasy novel, hands on his hips and wondering if he should go charging in stupidly like he has everything else in this land.
caught in this reckless raging fury
that they call the love of God

Table Code by Sky!
the Firebrand
Headmaster / Grand Healer

Age: 29 | Height: 5' 11' | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 11 - Strg: 32 - Dext: 33 - Endr: 35 - Luck: 39 - Int:
ASTRA - Mythical - Luxere
Played by: Crooked Offline
Change author:
MP: 3415
LOREN
Seeing as the Efas herb was an excellent medicine, and quite impossible to find outside the Hollowed Ground, Loren had decided to go to the source. Having been in the Labyrinth multiple times, he knew exactly what to expect. He wore clothes he could move in easily,  had a belt with multiple knives hanging from it, along with a machete on one hip and an empty backpack.

His expression was serious as he stole through the Hollowed Ground, trying to avoid seeing or speaking to anyone. The blank look he turned on anyone who got close was usually enough to deter him. When he arrived at the entrance to the hedge mage, he took a quick swig from his flask. Of course it was only then that he spotted the other figure there.

Turning to face the other man, the healer tilted his head. ”Harper.” It was an acknowledgment, nothing more. With that, he took the plunge into the maze, eyes peeled for any sign of its many dangers.
But don’t be weary if it’s broken
Families are like that—
they’re split up and always torn.
Harper Quinn
the Stalwart
Teacher

Age: 33 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Nomadic
Change author:
HARPER
At the sound of feet on dry foliage Harper glances over his shoulder, eyes widening slightly at the sight of Loren approaching from behind. He had left a note of departure, and Oliver had taken over the Manor in his stead. Admittedly Harper has been concerned about the man, but it's not like his grief is any of Harper's business. A shame considering Harper is notorious for hugging things better. Clearly Loren is missing out.

At least the man remembers his name, and even deigns to speak it in acknowledgement before he's sweeping off into the Labyrinth like a man on a suicide mission. And since Harper is so good at those, he goes bouncing along behind Loren without even asking to join. "Loren! I'm glad to see you're okay. What are you looking for in here?" Blue eyes cast at the sides of the walls, wary and awed in equal measure. Hopefully Loren knows his way out of here, or they're going to turn into a budget rendition of The Shining.

Table Code by Sky!
the Firebrand

Age: 29 | Height: 5' 11' | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:
LOREN
Harper’s enthusiastic response to Loren’s presence had him reaching for the flask again. Taking a long drink from it, he closed it and slid it back into his pocket. "Good to see you too." The words came out a little distracted and not exactly believable, though he supposed he didn't really mind the other man being there.

Eyes still peeled for any sign of the many dangers of the Labyrinth, the Launceleyn glanced briefly at Harper. "There's an herb that grows in the heart of the Labyrinth called the Efas herb. It had medicinal properties." Hoping that was enough to answer the other man's question, Loren picked up his pace. Reaching a fork, he glanced down both paths before taking the right one.
Families are like that—
Harper Quinn
the Stalwart
Teacher

Change author:
HARPER
It's clear the man is quickening his pace and keeping his phrases terse likely in hopes of dissuading Harper from joining him. Joke's on Loren, because Harper is quite the stubborn fool, and very good at jogging. Sticking close behind the taller man like a particularly irritating brand of fungi, blue eyes dart around the labyrinth with shining curiosity. It's still definitely out of a B-rated horror film, but at least he'll get to die a cool dramatic death when Loren inevitably trips Harper to sacrifice him to whatever is sure to try and eat them.

Harper jogs along to keep pace with the longer legs he's stalking, feeling distinctly amused at himself despite Loren's getaway attempts. "Hm, interesting. I'm not great at plants, but well. I'm here! So what does it look like?" A roundabout way of saying 'you're stuck with me, might as well give in and let me help.'

Table Code by Sky!
the Firebrand

Change author:
LOREN
It remained to be seen who was playing a joke on who, because as Harper sped up to keep pace with Loren, he glanced back over his shoulder. Then he smirked a little. There was something darkly amused about the expression.

Slowing down just a hair to let the other man catch up, the healer turned his attention back to the hedges. As they turned another corner, he sipped from his flask. "It's green, with brown spots. Grows in patches closer to the center of the Labyrinth." It came out idly, without much inflection.

Then he looked at Harper again. "Be careful, though. There are monsters in here." There was something almost taunting about the warning. Grinning (though saying the Launceleyn bared his teeth might be a more accurate representation of the expression), Loren winked at the other man.

Of course, then a cry of 'follow me' came from a hedge or two over, and the healer's eyes flicked towards it. His shoulders tensed as he scanned the branches for the inevitable squirrel onslaught.
Families are like that—
Harper Quinn
the Stalwart
Teacher

Change author:
HARPER
Such dark playfulness can't deter someone as stupidly optimistic as Harper, so instead he grins back, something manic and energetic reflecting in the steel blues of his eyes. At the very least it's a good warm-up, depending on how long Loren intends to keep them jogging into this monstrosity of a construction. Either they get in some decent exercise or they die horribly. Harper quite likes those odds.

Harper eyes the flask not quite judgmentally, but definitely a bit squinty. It's not his place to comment on another adult's alcohol consumption, but carrying around flasks for easy access to inebriation is generally not a good sign. At least the man deigns to tell him what they're looking for, even if it doesn't necessarily distract Harper from his sudden budding concern for this man he has only really met once.

Monsters though? Harper chuckles, lacing his hands behind his head as Loren grins down at him in a weirdly predatory way. "Monsters, huh? You gonna eat me? I don't think I'd taste too good, just a warning." What was with everyone and wanting to make such dark, implying jokes? Is that the only brand of humor in Caido? Apparently not because a distant voice echoes in the Labyrinth, and Harper pauses as his grin slowly falls into a contemplative frown. "Uhh...that's a weird monster if it is one."

Table Code by Sky!
the Firebrand

Change author:
LOREN
As Harper's eyes flicked to Loren's flask, he raised his eyebrows. Taking another sip, he then held it out for the other man. "Want some?" Again, the healer's voice came out in a wry drawl. None of this stopped him from continued to lead them deeper into the Labyrinth, taking corners and forks where the hedges looked more densely packed.

Smirking, his eyes raked down Harper's body suggestively before returning to his face. Then the Launceleyn let out a huff of laughter. "Only if you want me to. I wouldn't mind, tell the truth. You like like quite the snack to me." His tone came out just as suggestively as his examination had.

Sighing, the sound long-suffering, he took a long pull before tucking his flask back in his pocket. "Speaking Squirrel. They can say 'yes', 'no', and follow me, their job is to lead travelers astray so the Labyrinth can eat them, and they can chuck or fire projectiles." It came out in a quiet and annoyed voice.

Just then, a furry head poked over the hedge. "Follow me!" It chittered angrily at them before ducking back into the hedges. Loren flipped it off.
Families are like that—
Harper Quinn
the Stalwart
Teacher

Change author:
HARPER
Harper's grin is wry and twisted in the wake of Loren's offer. "Trust me, you don't want to see me drunk. It's all yours." For such a kind and exuberant man, alcohol has always brought him back to the terrors that lurk in the dark recesses of his brain. Unsafe for more than just himself, and so he has mostly sworn off the stuff. Not that the reminder stops him from cheerily tailing Loren, keeping pace even as the hairs on the back of his neck stand up when the chorus of chattering rodents echoes overhead.

Or maybe they stand at attention beneath Loren's flirtations, which prompt a flood of heat to Harper's cheeks. Certainly unused to being on the receiving end of such bluntness. Sputtering wordlessly for a moment, Harper runs a hand through his hair and bashfully ducks his gaze. "This isn't the best place for such things, I'm no exhibitionist," he excuses weakly, gesturing with some measure of amusement at the squirrels. But it's not a no. Harper has never been so equally wrong-footed and enthralled, which means today is already shaping up to be a sufficient adventure. Though he laughs at Loren's exasperated response towards the creepy squirrel. "Valiant foes, then. I'm not normally a bully of cute furry creatures, but a slingshot sounds like it would be pretty fun in here."

Table Code by Sky!
the Firebrand

Change author:
LOREN
Loren raised his eyebrows at Harper. "Well now I definitely want to see you drunk." Tone suggestive, the healer smirked. Then he shrugged. "Suit yourself." With that, he took a long pull from the flask.

Cocking his head to the side, he grinned a bit wickedly at the other man's comment. "If that's your only objection I'd be happy to arrange for a private show instead." The healer's voice practically dripped with heat.

Glancing around, he levitated a few stones from the ground using his telekinesis. They hovered in the air as his eyes swept the increasingly narrow hedges. "How's your aim?" The Launceleyn glanced over at Harper, giving the other man a considering look.
Families are like that—
Harper Quinn
the Stalwart
Teacher

Change author:
HARPER
Harper merely gives a silent crooked smile, watching the man's throat bob as he swallows before tearing his eyes away. No sense in making his flush deepen any further of his own accord, though it swiftly happens regardless because of Loren's proposition. Harper clears his throat and struggles for his composure, flattered and overwhelmed equally. "I wouldn't be against the idea," he manages to croak out. Why Loren is even entertaining the idea when Harper is making such a fool of himself is beyond him. Maybe bumbling virginal-appearing idiots is his type, who knows?

Caidians are far too forward to be good for Harper's heart.

The levitation surprises him slightly, but magic is far more common here than his home world. Instead he reaches out and plucks a rock from where it hangs in the air, a spark of challenge entering his eyes. "I prefer to show instead of tell. Care to start us off?" His grin is eager, waiting for the first stone to be thrown in a very literal sense.

Table Code by Sky!
the Firebrand

Change author:
LOREN
Finishing his swig, Loren slipped the mostly empty flask into his pocket. Smirking at Harper, the healer let out a huff of laughter. "It's a date." Tone still wicked, he winked at the other man. "I'm looking forward to it." Turning to face the front, the Launceleyn found his eyes crinkling with amusement and his lips grinning in anticipation.

Letting go of the rock Harper, Loren held onto the rest with his telekinesis. "So you're a shower then?" Voice still suggestive, he turned another corner, eyes narrowing as he saw not only that the hedges were quite narrow, but also that there was a pair of squirrels chittering on a branch ahead of them, the left.

He shot his rock towards one of them, and it ducked out of the way. "Yes!" it practically shouted at him, hiding itself from view within the hedge.
Families are like that—
Harper Quinn
the Stalwart
Teacher

Change author:
HARPER
The tables have most definitely turned. Is this how it feels to be on the receiving end of such forthright flirtations? Harper isn't sure if he should be commending himself or punching himself in the face for having been the initiator so many times. But it's not enough to stop him from gathering a boyish smile. "Time and place and I'll be there." Trying to grasp the upper hand, determined not to be so placid and boring when he's certainly not.

The quip still takes him off guard, promoting a snorting laugh that's more choke than exhale, but the amusement is clear nonetheless. "Where are your manners? Save those questions for the date handsome." With a wink he turns and with a flick of his wrist sends his chosen stone flying hard at one of the squirrel's buddies, sending moss spraying like a mini explosion at it's feet as it goes skittering away from the projectile. It's definitely more amusing than he'd anticipated.

Table Code by Sky!
the Firebrand

Change author:
LOREN
Smirking, Loren nodded in acknowledgement. "Wear something pretty." Winking, he let his gaze sweep over Harper before the healer faced front again. "Not that you need it." There was something openly admiring about his tone.

As another set of squirrels popped up in the hedge in front of them, he picked up two rocks with his telekinesis and chucked them at the rodents, which ducked. Growling in annoyance, he took another corner, the hedges growing even closer together.

That meant he occasionally brushed against the other man's side, not that the Launceleyn minded. "Oh so you think I'm handsome?" Chuckling, he ducked under a branch. There was something almost hungry in his laughter. Letting out an appreciative whistle at Harper's aim. "But we're having so much fun."

Then the healer grinned. There was something decidedly wolfish about the expression. "We could always have more fun though." The implication was clear. However, the other man had made his feelings on that clear, so the Launceleyn just continued leading them deeper into the Labyrinth. They were close to the center now, and he let out a hiss as a thorn throw by a squirrel stung his hand.
Families are like that—