gripped by fingers ten
open
Maea Valair
Hollowed Grounds Ambassador / Loreseeker

Age: 29 | Height: 156 cm / 5'1 ft | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 2 - Strg: 22 - Dext: 22 - Endr: 25 - Luck: 20 - Int:
Played by: Chan Online
Change author:
MP: 1897
MAEA
Stepping out of the bright sunlight and choking heat into The Hanged Man was like plunging into cool, dark waters. To eyes accustomed with the blinding day outside, it took a while before the interior came into full clarity. But when it did, it was something to gawk at indeed. Rustic and well used, it was a place of chaotic order and away-from-home comfort. Even at this midday hour there were no shortage of patrons, lounging in rickety chairs by chipped tables and leaning against the counter.

A colorful crowd, and a loud one too, it was quite overwhelming a place to someone accustomed to the relative calm and order of the VlamVloed, and the short, slender young woman that just entered felt distinctly out of place. Looked it too, she realized, in her neat white dress and pitch-dark shawl. More ready for a cup of honeyed tea and a book in some quiet corner than the strong drink, smoke and occasional brawls they had to offer here.

Still, Maea did not let that stop her, and her eyes were bright and curious as they took in the night-touched scenery. Jostled to the side by someone else barging in through the door behind her, she drifted further into the bar towards the counter. With a bag full of interesting finds she'd made at the market earlier and a belly gnawing with hunger, she had come hoping for a meal and a place to rest her feet... but now that she was here, she wondered if it had been such a good idea.
I'm an angel bored like hell
And you're a devil meaning well
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
♦ Violence, magic, thievery is permitted with Maea at all times. DM me if you have any ideas ♦
Raza Ekambe
Owner of the Hanged Man

Age: 37 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 4 - Strg: 18 - Dext: 19 - Endr: 18 - Luck: 20 - Int:
HOA - Regular - Albino Granite Burmese Python
Played by: Astor Offline
Change author:
MP: 59
raza
The Grounder will likely find herself disappointed here. I don’t serve food. It’s too much of a hassle.

Currently taking some deliveries, which would account for the higher hustle and bustle than normal for this mid-day hour, I’m in the back, talking to people and counting bottles. Something isn’t right and I’m trying to figure out where my order went wrong. So Hoa is up front, and he’s pretty good at either keeping patrons occupied till I get back, or scaring them off. He’s coiled up in his place on the sidebar, as white as the girl who walks in. He’s color blind (and doesn’t see so great anyway), so he doesn’t know they’re similar, but he should stand out amongst the dark wood and the dark liquor and the sun-bronzed people. Just like she does.
Maea Valair

Age: 29 | Height: 156 cm / 5'1 ft | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
MAEA
Well, there were seats aplenty at least, even though the absence of food odors drifting through the air made her spirits sink. She had to climb to get onto one of the tall chairs not far from the sidebar, and endured the stares and not-so-covert chuckles from the people closest to her. Ignoring the comments about children drifting off to places they shouldn't be with a poise that suggested years of practice, the girl waited patiently for any staff to notice her. Just sitting down was a relief; her feet were fairly throbbing with the strain of walking for hours on unfamiliar streets.

Her curious eyes roamed about, and eventually fell on the snake at the side bar. Maea had thought it a stuffed specimen at first and overloooked it both one and two times. But when she noticed a flicker of tongue by the blunted snout, and a slight stirring of the bleached scales as it inhaled, or exhaled or perhaps just moved, she turned her attention to it more fully. And smiled, as she slowly began to realize that it was an actual live snake.

"Oh, aren't you a beauty," she murmured at it, a little grin widening on her face. She half stretched out towards it, hands skimming over the top of the bar as if to touch the animal, but then froze. Hesitated, as she realized a bit late that this might not be the brightest of ideas.
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
♦ Violence, magic, thievery is permitted with Maea at all times. DM me if you have any ideas ♦
Raza Ekambe
Owner of the Hanged Man

Age: 37 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
raza
Luckily for Maea, Hoa is neither aggressive (unless Raza needs him to be) or poisonous, which, unless you’re familiar with snakes, you might not know. He’s got that diamond-shaped head and all. He’s also much more forgiving than I am - my better half - if you will. Sending me the image of a person at a bar and also a contented feeling, so I know I don’t need to rush out immediately, he rustles out of his coiled position, tongue flicking much more rapidly than before.

Perhaps, in the ways that animals are often wiser and more intuitive than people, Hoa senses that she isn’t a threat. Coming slowly towards the girl, he too, fails to realize that a four foot long snake may not be as peaceful as his intentions truly are.

Meanwhile, I’m wrapping up, having figured out that someone spilled water on the order sheet and some things were illegible but they didn’t try to check and see what the order actually was. Gods, incompetence is infuriating.
Maea Valair

Change author:
MAEA
It seemed she had caught the attention of the big snake. Maea sat up straight, eyes widening slightly as it uncoiled and came slithering towards her, tongue flickering in the air, lapping up aromas of smoke and drink like it was a feast. It was a sentiment the girl could appreciate. she hesitated a moment, then carefully reached out a hand again.  

"If you bite me, I'll have to return the favor," she told the animal with a half smile, "and that will get messy. So if you mind being touched, please just... hiss, or something. I can handle a no."

Pale fingers were cautious as they tried to touch the pale hide, the shifting scales, feel the warm and smooth skin against hers. How anyone could think snakes to be slippery or frightening was beyond her. They were beautiful, dangerous and full of integrity; truth be told, she was far more wary of the humans that mingled around them than this quiet, dignified animal. Their tongues might be forked, but snakes did not lie.
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
Raza Ekambe
Owner of the Hanged Man

Change author:
raza
Hoa’s teeth have little purpose other than to encourage food down his throat, and as Maea is (even at her small stature) outside his current prey size, she is safe. But then she’s always been safe. People are friends, not food. He continues slowly towards her, sliding along the smooth wood of the bar until he is beneath her fingers, not leaning against her in the way a furred mammal might, but relishing the touch all the same. The white and yellow snake comes to a halt rather close to her face, if she remains where she is, tongue still flicking in and out, his red eyes curious as he deciphers all the information.

Refraining from climbing up her (that is for me, only), I come out of the back to find the two white creatures together, and though my first emotion is something resembling jealousy, I can feel Hoa’s contentedness. Very well. He’s able to make decisions about people where I’m rather blind to appearances, and there is something about seeing him with someone that is like him that makes me soften. “I see Hoa’s taken a liking to ya,” I saw by way of greeting, coming forward and opening up the side bar to take up my regular spot.

“Yer not a Torcher,” I continue lightly, stating the obvious just to get it out of the way.
Maea Valair

Change author:
MAEA
As the snake moved closer, the forked tongue flickering at her face, Maea sat very still. Tried not to breathe too hard, in case it might offend the animal somehow. Its skin was warm and dry under her fingers, and she stroked the muscled body with relish, fascinated by how it rippled and stretched under her touch. Quite as happy as the serpent was over this encounter.

She was brought out of her enchanted admiration by the sound of a voice that seemed to address her specifically. Looking up, Maea found herself approached by a beautiful woman with skin as dark as hers was pale, and an air like she belonged her. Or perhaps, like the place belonged to her. Either way, it was probably accurate.

"I'm honored, he's beautiful!" she replied with a shy smile. Straightening up a little, she kept petting the snake, though shook her head at the assumption, not sure if it was a question or merely a statement. "No, I'm from the Hollowed Ground," she answered either way. "Came through the portal earlier today to have a look around.

"Do you... own this bar?"
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
Raza Ekambe
Owner of the Hanged Man

Change author:
raza
Her compliment makes me smile. Hoa is beautiful, white and yellow and shiny. He’s got an elegance to him that most people don’t see - can’t see, really. Maybe it’s the snake thing? I don’t know.

“He’s often the best lookin thing here at the end of the night” I joke, leaning forward to engage with the strange woman. So. She’s a Grounder. Not surprised. I actually might have suspected Halovian, cause anyone that white would be at an advantage by blending in with the snow and all. But maybe the world doesn't work that way. "Welcome, then."

With a proud smile I nod. "Yep. Name's Raza and if ya can read, this is the Hanged Man." I dont mean it as an insult, there are plenty of sailors who know it only by the picture of a noose. "Best bar in Torchline, accordin' to most everyone 'cept the other bartenders." A brief pause as I look at her expectantly. "Can I getcha somethin'?"
Maea Valair

Change author:
MAEA
Maea laughed at that, nodding. "I've been staying at a tavern recently, I know how it can look before closing," she agreed cheerfully. "And the VlamVloed usually just get farmers, artisans and workers... I suspect your crowd here is a bit more... hm, boisterous?" A quick glance around the room saw no end of daggers, cutlasses, brawny men and confident women, all deeply tanned and moving with the feral grace of people used to fending for themselves. She carefully avoided the word 'dangerous', but it's what she meant.

"Thank you, Raza! I'm Maea," she returned, inclining her head politely. Considering the offer, she thought of the food she'd been longing for, the lack of any signs of plates and dishes, and how well she'd take to drinking on an empty stomach... But then she nodded. She was taking up space, after all. And perhaps this was as good a place as any to fish for information.

"Sure, that would be nice... You got anything cold?"
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
Raza Ekambe
Owner of the Hanged Man

Change author:
raza
She says VlamVloed like I should know what it is – quick deduction assumes it’s the previously aforementioned tavern she’s been staying at (why, I don’t know – don’t really care either, but make further assumptions about her character based on that) and then compares the clientele. I shrug. “Yes and no. They know to behave here, more or less. We get tradesmen and farmers from the inner parts of Torchline too, when they care to bring their wares to port. ‘S a good location for that.” Really, it’s the location of the bar that brings the sailors and the pirates and the other underbelly folk – that and knowing I’m willing to turn a blind eye to unsavory dealings – often for a price.

“Of course. What kind of bar would this be if I didn’t?” I say it in a kind, teasing way, but the question rankles a bit.

Honey, this ain’t wherever you’re from. This is The Hanged Man.

“What’s your poison?”
Maea Valair

Change author:
MAEA
"Sounds like this is the place to go then, for meeting all sorts," Maea mused in response. Sounding rather pleased; and she was. Jigano might claim all he wanted that information and lore was separate things, but Maea still believed that the difference only lay in semantics. If nothing else, one might lead to the other... and knowing where to go to hear rumors and find people could never be a bad thing.

"Oh, a far less impressive establishment than I'd pegged it for. I'm happy to hear I wasn't mistaken," Maea teased back, smiling. She had meant no disrespect at all, simply didn't wish to take anything for granted. If warm drinks was served in a warm season, then who was she to judge the local customs?

"I've a bit of a sweet tooth, so cider and wine is what I usually go for" she admitted, when it came time to choose her drink. "But I'm curious about your customs here too, so... surprise me?" There was perhaps a touch of challenge to the grin she gave Raza, interested in seeing what the woman might offer her. Maea wasn't a hard core drinker, but she was the daughter of a brewer. She knew her way around alcohol well enough to tell what was good or not.
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
Raza Ekambe
Owner of the Hanged Man

Change author:
raza
I know my bar is the place to be, but I’m not about to say why. Or that I encourage it, because of a certain, ah, magic earring. I hear all. So of course, yes, this is the place to be.

I watch the white-white girl with a patient expression, putting on a practiced bartender face until she decides what she wants. Hoa has kind of curled up by her, no longer asking to be touched, just happy to be involved with whatever is going on between us. Something sweet, hmm? I’ve got just the thing. With a snap of my fingers, I turn to the various bottles behind me. Some have labels, some don’t - some are known to me purely by their color and bottle type, made locally and distributed by what we would now call craft distilleries. Or moonshiners. Whatever.

Pulling out a bottle with things floating in it, I place a strainer over a glass and pour the wine-dark liquid into a cup. Unfortunately, the filtered bottle I had was used up a few nights ago. This is all the mamajuana we’ve got at the moment - it’s a more authentic version, but uh, might have some bits floating in it. I give her just a splash at first, to see if it’s sweet enough. The smell of alcohol, honey, and maybe even herbs wafts upwards

“Try this.” Pushing the short glass towards Maea, I wait to see what she thinks.
Maea Valair

Change author:
MAEA
Maea watched with interest as Raza turned to the shelves, surveying the bottles. It looked much like the assortment Sunjata kept behind the bar of the VlamVloed, but with far more exotic contents, as she wasn't familiar with the contents here. Her eyes narrowed at the chunky additions to the liquid in the bottle the bartender chose, but didn't ask what it was. Had learned a long time ago that in some cases, ignorance was bliss.

A sample was poured and pushed over, and Maea took it, curiously sniffing at it. The sweetness was apparent, as was the alcoholic content, and the herbs was a nice touch that offset the cloying honey-scented aroma. Raising the glass to her lips, she took a careful sip, letting the liquid roll over her tongue, mixing it with air, letting her whole palette take it in.

Pale brows shot up, and a grin appeared on her face. Maea knocked back the rest of the liquid, and licked her lips, delighted. "Oh, I think I'm in love already," she hummed, almost shuddering with plesure as the flavor permeated her senses.

The glass was pushed back, the emptiness a clear stamp of approval. Not that Raza needed it, surely.
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3