creeping and crawling like the sea over sand (open)
the Firebrand
Headmaster / Grand Healer

Age: 29 | Height: 5' 11' | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 11 - Strg: 32 - Dext: 33 - Endr: 35 - Luck: 39 - Int:
ASTRA - Mythical - Luxere
Played by: Crooked Offline
Change author:
MP: 3415
LOREN
Seeing as people had been so kind as to give him lessons, Loren had been practicing his swimming. However, it was actually hard work, so after a decent amount of time in the water, he’d headed back to shore. Dressed only in a pair of shorts, he shaded his eyes as he considered what to do next.

Not quite willing to return to Halo when Torchline was frankly so much more appealing, he wandered down the coast, stopping now and then when something or someone caught his eye. Astra was with him, though she was ranging a bit farther afield. He didn’t mind, trusting she’d return to him if necessary. When they both stumbled upon rows upon rows of beautiful rainbow hues after scrambling over gray rocks for a while, he’d halted, staring at the wondrous sit.

Settling down to just drink in the atmosphere, the healer eventually decided he should make use of this time. So he decided to continue seeing what the limits of his compulsion were. He had a fairly good grasp on what times of birds he could call upon, but not much else.

So he prodded the various animals he could think of. As he did, he sipped from one of the flasks he'd taken to carrying with him everywhere. Fish didn’t come, nor did dogs, cats, deers, or horses. Shifting down the list, he tried to see if any smaller mammals might respond. And, to his surprise and delight, a trio of ferrets (or maybe weasels), padded out towards him, making their way across the rocks. When they got close to him, he reached out and stroked them, then lifted one up to give it a closer examination.
look at how a single candle can both
defy and define the darkness
Kalynd Adane
Scholar

Age: 29 | Height: 5'10" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: - Strg: 6 - Dext: 12 - Endr: 8 - Luck: 9 - Int:
Played by: Lion Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
The sun, Kalynd decided, was an enemy to scholarly pursuit.

After spending hours digging in the sand, Kal decided there was nothing of interest here to make this trip worth his while. Which was an altogether frustrating affair. He would sooner have stayed in the Hollowed Grounds and read up on Caido's history some more, but his wanderlust had gotten the better of him, and Kal had come here with the thrilling promise of discovery on his mind. He was tragically disappointed, enough so that the lovely trees and exotic surroundings about him which he would normally admire were now only a means to an end--shade from the sun and oppressive heat that made the premise of more excavating seem like a foolish waste of time.

Kal was startled when a creature skittered out of the brush nearby and slinked through the shadows of the brush towards some unseen point of interest. The creature was lithe and unusual looking, unlike any beast Kal had ever seen in his own world. Curiosity drew him after the little furry rodent-like beast, and he soon emerged into the same amalgamation of rocks where a stranger now sat.

"Oh," Kalynd said as he noticed the little furry beasts gathered around the man's feet. "How curious. You seem to be attracting the attention of the local wildlife through some power of your own," he commented. It was just like Kal to forget to introduce or even announce his presence before he started making observations.
the Firebrand

Age: 29 | Height: 5' 11' | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:
LOREN
Loren had fallen deep into inspecting the weasels or ferrets or whatever. Starting with a simple physical inspection, he’d checked their fur, teeth, claws, and everything else he could think of. That done, he'd progressed to have them run around a bit, and to digging.

It was at this point that a voice spoke up. Loren glanced over his shoulder to look who it was. The other man wasn't known to the healer, but that wasn't all that surprising these days, especially in Torchline. "You've never heard of or seen compulsion before?" His confusion was evident, as it wasn't all that uncommon in Caido and among the Attuned. As he waited for the stranger's response, the Launceleyn took a sip from his flask.
Kalynd Adane
Scholar

Age: 29 | Height: 5'10" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
"Compulsion," Kalynd echoed. "I have heard the word, but I have not had a chance to witness this power myself. I have never tried it either. Fascinating." He supposed he should have studied such skills when he had learned that he was one of the Attuned, but in learning the geography and disparate culture of Caido, of the deities and their influence, and of the rules and principles that governed its boundaries, he hadn't found time to pursue knowledge of his own race and their abilities.

"Do you have a name for these creatures?" Kalynd asked the man. He felt very curious to know more about them. Such things had not been native to his homeland, though this may be understandable since the climate of Torchline was so different. Such things, he had learned through study and research, did influence the sort of creatures that could live and thrive in any given area.
the Firebrand

Change author:
LOREN
Once upon a time, Loren would've been happy to help out a fellow knowledge seeker. As it was, he continued to examine the limits of his compulsion. He ordered the three weasels and/or ferrets to pick up seashells and bring them over to him. "Witness all you like, I guess."

The healer shot the other man an appraising look, eyes raking over the stranger's form. "You can come closer, if you'd like." There was maybe a hint of suggestion in the words. The Launceleyn cocked his head to the side. "What's your name, by the way?"

At the question of what the animals were called, Loren glanced at them as they pawed over the rocks. "Torch weasels." He had absolutely no idea whether that was true or not, but he spoke confidently.
Kalynd Adane
Scholar

Change author:
The man’s invitation was a welcome one to Kalynd, whose curiosity was piqued by the promise of a new discovery. His earlier disappointment with his failed excavation of the shoreline had dissolved in the light of this new opportunity standing before him.

“Torch weasels, I see! Very interesting.” He reaches into his satchel and made a note of the name and began sketching a rough likeness with a bit of charcoal. He realized after a moment that he’d failed to address the man’s question, and he gave a sheepish look as his eyes lifted from the page of his field journal.

“Apologies. I am getting rather carried away, and I fear have left my manners behind in my enthusiasm. My name is Kalynd Adane. Might I know your name as well, sir?” he asked respectfully.
the Firebrand

Change author:
LOREN
As the other man came closer, Loren grinned. When the stranger took out a notebook and began to sketch, the healer ordered the weasels (or whatever, he was gonna call them weasels from now on) to go over to the other man and pose. That done, the Launceleyn took a sip from his flask.

"No need to apologize. I'm sure you can make it up to me." Again, the words were slightly suggestive. "I'm Loren Launceleyn." He held out his hand for Kalynd to shake.

Then Loren's eyes flicked towards the notebook. "I take it you're not from Torchline. Where are you from?" He cocked his head to one side as he waited for the other man's answer.
Kalynd Adane
Scholar

Change author:
The stranger’s comment about making it up to him was a little unusual, but Kalynd did not catch the suggestion and merely wrote it off as a strange social ritual that he was unfamiliar with. He was a little surprised when Loren reached out one hand towards him. For a moment Kalynd stared at it, trying to remember if he’d seen such a gesture before, and then he remembered his study of some of the cultural forms of greetings among the inhabitants of Caido and realized the significance. He took Loren’s hand in his and shook it a little awkwardly.

“It is good to meet you, Loren Launceleyn. Your name is quite alliterative.” He liked the flow of the liquid consonants and the way the name flowed off the tongue.

“You are correct that I am only visiting Torchline. I reside in the Hollowed Grounds much of the time, as I am a member of the Loreseekers’ Guild,” Kalynd explained. “I’ve come to Torchline to study and do some excavation, but unfortunately my search has not turned up any useful artifacts or insights into the region. As of yet.”
the Firebrand

Change author:
LOREN
Loren’s grip was firm and that’s all, though he perhaps held Kalynd’s hand for a bit longer than strictly necessary. Smirking at the other man's observation, the healer shrugged. "It's a pleasure to meet you too. I didn't pick my name, though I'm glad you like it." He took a sip from the flask. "Kalynd Adane is an interesting name. Does it mean anything?"

At the mention of the Loreseekers' Guild, his eyebrows rose. "Ah. I'm a former member myself." Grinning, he had the weasels roll around in the sand just to see if he could. "As for Torchline, it has its charms, if you know where to look and you're open to new experiences." He winked lazily at Kalynd.
Kalynd Adane
Scholar

Change author:
Kalynd thought this hand shaking was an odd business. It felt a little awkward to be having his hand held for a prolonged amount of time--was this ritual usually so involved? He missed the simplicity of his own people's customs and greetings.

He was rather surprised by the man's question regarding his name. He gave a slight nod and said, "In my native tongue, there is a word Kalyndreani, which describes a... sort of journey that was considered a rite of passage among my mother's people. So you could say it means 'journey'. Adane is my family name. It means 'Red Lion'."

His family name was once a badge of honor--and infamy--that Kal had worn, but in Caido no one heard the name and associated with him royalty, power, or prestige. He found that he preferred this state of existence. Kal wanted people to look at him and see the scholar rather than the forgotten prince.

Kalynd nodded at the man's mention of the guild. "I have joined it recently, so I expect we have never met at the Atheneum." He didn't ask why the man had left the guild; Kal frankly didn't think it was his business, and the motivations and actions of people were only ever interesting to him when they influenced some historical event or culture at large in a way that he could study and dissect.

"As for Torchline, it has its charms, if you know where to look and you're open to new experiences."

These words brought Kalynd's attention back to the man sitting before him. "Indeed," he said with a polite smile. Again, he did not quite understand the implication of the man's gestures or tone and merely thought he was being very pleasant and friendly. "I am very interested in new experiences. Is there anything in particular you would recommend? Besides playing with torch weasels," he said, attempting to make a joke and executing it with more genuine cheerfulness than made it viable.
the Firebrand

Change author:
LOREN
Nodding along with Kalynd's explanation, Loren's brow furrowed a bit. "So that would be Red Lion's Journey or Journey of the Red lion?" He shot the Loreseeker a grin. "Quite a poetic name. Is there a deeper meaning behind it?" There was something darkly amused in the healer's question.

Shrugging, he took a long pull from his flask. "Sounds about right. I would've remembered you." He grinned a bit wickedly.

Unfortunately, his more subtle hints didn’t seem to be getting through to the other man. So Loren just decided to screw subtly. "Well. Have you ever tried sex on the beach?" He smirked a bit and took another sip from his flask.
Kalynd Adane
Scholar

Change author:
"Well," Kalynd said with a slight shrug. "In my native land, first and family names rarely bore much connection in terms of meaning. But I do think Journey of the Red Lion would suit the course my life has taken. I'm a long way from my homeland here, after all," he commented. The thought did affect him, sending the tiniest pang of regret through his heart that his mother would never know what happened to him. But there was enough here to discover and learn about. He would live in the present as much as possible and not lament what could not be.

Kal was not sure why the man stated that he would remember him if they had seen each other before, but he returned the man's smile a little hesitantly. He did not want to seem rude.

Loren's next question was unexpected. He gave the man a considering look, wondering if having intercourse on the beach was a common pastime in Torchline. If so, he supposed that pursuing scholarly research and excavation on the beaches might be more complicated than he had originally thought.

"I have never tried sex at all, actually," Kalynd said matter-of-factly, showing no embarrassment or emotion relating to that fact. "Is there something particularly noteworthy in the act of doing so on the beach?" he asked. This would be a very strange custom of the Torchline people that he would have to make a note of. His own people thought of sex quite practically as a means to obtain power, security, and position. His own mother was a concubine, one of many daughters given to the king to advance their family's assets or favor in the kingdom's eyes. He'd been raised to think of sex as yet another bargaining chip the nobles of court used to buy their way into his good graces, and Kalynd hated being used for his position more than anything. So he'd never taken advantage of his station to gain intimacy. The thought of engaging in relations outside of this contractual sort of agreement, simply for the pleasure of it, had never occurred to him.
the Firebrand

Change author:
LOREN
Loren found his eyes narrowing. "Is that so?" There was only an idle sort of interest in the question, and he took a sip from the flask. "Where's your homeland, then?" He peered closely at Kalynd, as if trying to figure out from sight alone where the other man was from.

Letting out a huff of laughter at the scholar's response, the healer tilted his head to one side slightly. "That's alright." Taking another sip, he scooted just a bit closer to the other man. "There's one way for you to find out what sex on the beach is like." The Launceleyn's tone was darkly amused, and he dropped his voice to a whisper. "The hands on approach."

Studying Kalynd's features, Loren smirked. "A very wise resident of Torchline once told me the best way to learn is by doing." He raised his eyebrows in an open invitation.
Kalynd Adane
Scholar

Change author:
Kalynd shrugged in response to the question. “Beyond the Portals, somewhere in another realm or plane of existence, I suppose. Sometimes it feels like a dream that never truly existed at all.” He couldn’t keep the slight note of sadness from his tone. Kalynd looked up at the rainbows dancing off the water surface around him, drawing himself back into the present with the beauty in front of him now. He couldn’t afford to get lost in the past that no longer held any relevance for him.

When Loren scooted closer, the movement caught Kalynd’s eye. He blinked in surprise at the man’s words, wondering if this was an offer or simply a joke. It was difficult for Kalynd to tell. However, it hadn’t escaped his notice that the man had been drinking from a flask quite readily since he’d come upon him. While he had no particular reason to dislike the idea of sleeping with the handsome man in front of him, he had no particular reason to do it, either. And he didn’t quite like the idea of his first experience with sex being with a drunk partner.

“I suppose you are correct,” Kalynd said diplomatically. “However, I think that I should have the baseline experience first to offer a true comparison. Maybe some day. For now, I am content to revel in the new experience of seeing compulsion for myself and getting to know about torch weasels. Quite a thrilling discovery.” He smiled good-naturedly, hoping the man wouldn’t be offended by his gentle dismissal.