I've been hiding out
Maea Valair
Hollowed Grounds Ambassador / Loreseeker

Age: 29 | Height: 156 cm / 5'1 ft | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 2 - Strg: 22 - Dext: 22 - Endr: 25 - Luck: 20 - Int:
Played by: Chan Offline
Change author:
MP: 1897
MAEA
With the white bat hidden beneath her hair, Maea made her way into the tavern. Part inn, part drinking hall it was quite emtpy at this time of day, with only a sullen barkeep to see her as she made her way to the back where the stair up to the rooms could be found. The rooms were small and dingy, not entirely clean but not so filthy that they were impossible to inhabit, and the heavy furs on her bed were quite impeccably clean. Enough to keep her warm in the night, and that was the main point.

"There, I think we should be safe now," she told Peter as she closed the door. Brushing her hair back so he could crawl out of the white silk prison, she sat down on the edge of the bed. Aside from a simple chair and a rustic table it was the only piece of furniture in the room, and she left that open for her friend, should he want it.
Lost in a world full of non-believers
Searching for smoke in a still water pond
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
♦ Violence, magic, thievery is permitted with Maea at all times. DM me if you have any ideas ♦
Peter Pikely

Age: 33 | Height: 5’3” | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 4 - Strg: 11 - Dext: 18 - Endr: 18 - Luck: 14 - Int:
Played by: Johnnie Offline
Change author:
MP: 87
PETER
The inn room was actually nicer than what Peter had been expecting. He’d been in lots of places, lots of backwater holes and bars half reclaimed by the desert sands, and that was the approximate level of niceness he’d come to expect. Halo was only slightly different, slightly better in the sense that it is genuinely private, as far as he can tell.

”Thank you.” They were the first words out of Peter’s month, once he’d shifted out from under Maeas hair, and back into his human form. He looked around the room, then back towards the bed, stepping towards it to sit, and offer Maea a shy smile. ”I’m... im sorry I had to... hide. But I’m glad you understand.” He nodded  then, feeling intensely awkward.
and our memories defeat us
and I’ll end this duress
Maea Valair

Age: 29 | Height: 156 cm / 5'1 ft | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
MAEA
Smiling warmly at her friend as he shifted back into himself, she shook her head. "No need to thank me, of course I'll keep your secrets. Why do you want to hide your shifts though?"

Scooting up higher on the bed to give him more room as he forewent the chair, Maea pulled her knees up against the chest and let her back fall back into the wall, skirts draped neatly about the legs. Coming inside was nice, though the ever-burning fires would have the scent of smoke cling to her for days after.
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
♦ Violence, magic, thievery is permitted with Maea at all times. DM me if you have any ideas ♦
Peter Pikely

Age: 33 | Height: 5’3” | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
PETER
Peter followed Maea’s lead, feet slipping out of boots as he pulled his legs up, his knees in close to his chest. ”It’s safer... no, um... easier to... surprise people, if less people know.” It was something that was important, in his new position. Always be overestimated or underestimated, never let anyone know what you’re truly capable of.

”I know I... you were at the school.” It’s a statement, not matter how much it sounds like a question. ”I didn’t know you were um... staying. In Halo.” He would have actually visited her much sooner if he had, after all.
and I’ll end this duress
Maea Valair

Change author:
MAEA
Her head tilted slightly, a question forming in her eyes before she recalled seeing some notice. "Oh, that's right. You were made Spymaster, weren't you? That's quite impressive." Maea still had a hard time reconciling herself with the idea that this timid young man could be any kind of dangerous or tricky... but perhaps that just made him more suitable to the task. Someone to underestimate. She only thought of the trembling, nervous wreck she'd found in the Settlement, that day when he first came to Caido, and smiled softly at him. Glad that he was being recognized by others the way she knew he deserved.

"Well, I'm not. Not yet, anyway. I've been... staying at the VlamVloed since I got back, but... things are a bit tense between me and Sunjata at the moment. I.. wanted to get away for a while." Thin shoulders rose and fell in a slight shrug, and her face looked quite impassive... though there was a slight flush creeping across her cheeks as she mentioned the man's name.
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
Peter Pikely

Change author:
PETER
”I was.” Peter smiled a little distantly, surprised that she had heard about that, even if she wasn’t yet a permanent resident of Halo. ”It’s... I was surprised, really. No ones ever... I guess, given me the... the chance.” He looked up at her, smiling properly now.

”The bar?” Peter cocked his head, confused. Maea did not seem the type to spend time there. Did not seem the type to have tenseness, especially not with Sunjata. Though, he had also not thought that he would get along with the other attuned, and he did. ”Is... everything okay? Are you okay?” He leaned in a little, noticing the flush, his head cocking, the wheels turning. Slowly. He was new to this social thing still.
and I’ll end this duress
Maea Valair

Change author:
MAEA
Maea grinned back, proud for him, so happy to see him smile like this. Almost open, like everything was going right for him. "Well, I'm glad someone else finally realized what I've known all along," she said, gentle teasing. "You deserve every chance... I'm sure you will do great."

She tugged a bit on her skirt, shifting the folds as she looked down on her hands. "Mmh, yes. I'm alright, nothing bad has happened. I... bartered for a room there, while I figured things out. With my guild, and this school, and such. Wound up spending quite a bit of time with Sunjata, and..." The color of her face deepened. "I suppose... we've gotten close? Only, I don't think he's quite as into it as I am. Hence... this keeping away."

It was a bit awkward to talk about. Not something she'd ever mentioned before, though the subject would come up later, in other conversations with other people, but... it was Peter. She trusted him to keep her secrets.

"What about you, have you made yourself at home here? Is Adam here too?" she asked.
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
Peter Pikely

Change author:
PETER
An embarrassed laugh managed to escape Peter before he could clap a hand over his mouth, a flush spreading into his ears as he looked away from Maea. He was clearly pleased though, not embarrassed or belittled or ashamed, just pleased. A far cry from the panicked mess she had first come across, so long ago now. ”Tha-Thank you.” He managed eventually, his smile breaking through his fingers.

”I’m glad... I’m glad you found someplace.” The conversation shift was jumped on eagerly, even if Peter only truly picked up what exactly Maea was going through when her blush grew darker. ”Oh! I um... I see.” Maea and Sunjata were an odd fit in his mind, but, so were he and Adam. How had that even worked out? Did he have advice he could offer? ”Have you... tried um... talking, about it, to him?” He had no advice. He could be trusted with secrets though, would take them to his grave.

Like a metronome, the conversation swung back to him, and Peter shifted, like the motion would give him an excuse to stay quiet a few more seconds. ”They... Neron, and Z-Zariah, want me to stay. And... I do... It’s nice here. But... Adam doesn’t like it. Or... Launceleyns.” It was the first time Peter had actually summarized the situation out loud, and it was clear something was ticking away in his mind, some wheel finally turning.
and I’ll end this duress
Maea Valair

Change author:
MAEA
It was good to see him smile like that. So happy, so calm. It frustrated Maea to no end that she had not been there for the past year, had not been priviledged to see this change in her friend come about. He'd been there for her during the hardest time of her life, and she... had been gone for the best of his.  It seemed wholly skewed, rather unfair.

Maea squirmed at the question, nodded and kept her eyes downcast, a nervous little twitch in her lips as she forced a smile. "I... yes. I did. He knows how I feel, but... he just wants to be friends. Or rather... he'd like some.. eh.. benefits slapped on to it? But I don't think.. I can do that." There was a wound in her heart at that, and it colored her voice ever so slightly. It was the reason for her downcast mood, because this was before she found out that maybe things weren't as bleak as she thought, why she tried to avoid Sunjata. They'd never been very good at keeping the boundaries they set between one another.

She looked up when Peter spoke of Adam and his disregard for this new 'family'. Maea recalled the frown the rogue had worn when he told her about this new development, and she nodded. "Sunjata dislikes it here too, but for slightly different reasons," she told him. "What... do you want to do? Will you have to choose?" A frown creased her brow; it seemed wholly unfair too, that anyone would have to pick between what they wanted and what they needed. But perhaps Adam wasn't as rigid about it as Jigano...
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
Peter Pikely

Change author:
PETER
Peter frowned, cocking his head snack and forth as Maea explained the situation between her and Sunjata. It was... well, about what he would expect from the guild leader, in the nicest possible way. But he understood how Maea felt as well, being in nearly the same position she was, at one point. He shifted, tapping his heels as he tried to put together some comfort to offer her. ”You don’t... have to do that. Anything, if you don’t want. Even... if it hurts. For a bit.” It wasn’t satisfying, but it was all he had.

His shifting only grew more uncomfortable as the subject turned to his family, and Adam. ”I don’t... want to have to choose.” He admitted softly. ”I just... It’s important to me. All of it. I don’t... what if I choose wrong, or..?” He shook his head, reminded of the uncomfortable conversation he’d had with Loren, when his kin had said to make the right choice. To not waste his chance. ”Adam... makes me happier.” The words were a whisper, and punctuated by Peter’s sudden rising.

”I need to... I’ve been out too long. I said I’d be back.” It wasn’t clear if the guilt splashed over Peter’s face came from the weak lie, or the admission he’d made, but it didn’t seem to matter, His feet taking towards the door almost abruptly. ”We can, I-I mean, if you want... talk later?” Once he’d had a chance to think, by himself, about some new realizations. He nodded, then stepped out the door, leaving Maea with a worried smile.

Done
and I’ll end this duress
Maea Valair

Change author:
MAEA
Maea watched him rise, and stood too when he hastily headed for the door. Grateful for his support, but worried she had said something wrong, something to drive him off. That he admitted to wanting Adam more than this position seemed like a bit of a revelation, even to Peter, but it made the girl smile. Happy, that he had found something that meant so much.

"Of course," she nodded, when he asked if they could talk later. "Whenever you like, just come find me. I'll be here." And she followed him to the door, watched his back as he hurried away. Thoughtful, concerned, but happy to have seen him again. Happy that this coincidental meeting had taken place.

How could she know it would be the last time they would ever speak? If she did... Maea would have called him back.

-----

- FIN ;---;
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3