time after time I think it's just no good
the Firebrand
Headmaster / Grand Healer

Age: 29 | Height: 5' 11' | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 11 - Strg: 32 - Dext: 33 - Endr: 35 - Luck: 39 - Int:
ASTRA - Mythical - Luxere
Played by: Crooked Offline
Change author:
MP: 3415
LOREN
Loren had received a note from Samuel, asking if they could meet. When the healer had received it, he'd smirked, and sent an affirmative response back immediately, along with a time, date, and place. Now he stood at the front gates to the Citadel.

As he waited, he sipped idly from a flask. There was something a little different about the Launceleyn. Although he was dressed in the same plain and utilitarian clothes, and cloak thrown over his head for warmth, his posture and appearance were subtly different. Perhaps it was simply that he'd put on a little weight, or maybe it was the slight way he slouched.

Or maybe it had something to do with the dark amusement that lurked in his eyes more often than not these days.
look at how a single candle can both
defy and define the darkness
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Age: 34 | Height: 5' 5" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 10 - Strg: 28 - Dext: 25 - Endr: 27 - Luck: 25 - Int: 1
MIA - Regular - Ragdoll Cat
Played by: lancydulac Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
SAMUEL
i am the ocean, crawling madly at your moon.
and with one wanton whoop —
A couple of trips to Torchline had been enough for the moment, Sam thought. There was exploration to do, but it didn't seem to be urgent and he found that more appealing than the promise of sea and sand was that of Loren's company again. Besides, he'd never seen the Citadel in his adventures in Halo and the eager response he'd received had made him rather happy indeed.

He felt like Loren wanted to see him, which was a depressingly low bar to hold for a friend (or more...?), but it still made his heart swell.

Wearing a thick coat over his usual clothing with some heavy boots, he carried a bag with a few changes of clothes and some other things, in case he ended up staying for a while. At the moment, he had enough for a week. Hopefully, Loren had somewhere he could sleep overnight...maybe he'd even be able to stay at the palace, though Sam would pretend he wasn't hoping for that.

Approaching the gates he spotted Loren and broke into a large smile, hurrying for the last few steps. "Hello!" Pausing before the Launceleyn he awkwardly moved from side to side a little and held out his arms just slightly before him, clearly unsure if a hug was appropriate.
— i melt into a sycophantic soup,
& all that's left to do, is giggle, fawn, and swoon.
the Firebrand

Age: 29 | Height: 5' 11' | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:
LOREN
As Sam approached, Loren grinned. At the Ascended's slightly awkward greeting, however, the healer let out a huff of laughter. Still, he tucked his flask into a pocket. Then he reached out to pull the other man into a brief hug. "Hello!" And if the Launceleyn's hands squeezed the the redhead a little more firmly and familiarly than strictly necessary, well, no one was watching them.

Stepping back, Loren gestured at the admittedly impressive fortress behind him. "Welcome to the Citadel." Taking out his flask again, he took a quick sip then just held it. "I suppose you'll be wanting the grand tour then?" He raised his eyebrows, though there was a question of what, exactly, Sam was hoping for during this visit.

However, they could answer that more completely later in the day.
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Age: 34 | Height: 5' 5" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
SAMUEL
Happily for Sam, Loren did choose to take him in for a hug and even held him close. Sam smiled and pressed his face briefly into the taller man's shoulder before stepping back.

"Yes. It's...very big." Sam said rather redundantly as he looked up at the mighty city before them, impressed indeed by the scale of the buildings. In the Domiciles the buildings were all quite modest, squat little things made by farmers or craftsmen wanting a home for their families.

The offer of a tour was an exciting one and he nodded. "Yes, I'd love that. Show me your favourite places." It seemed much more appealing to him to see places personally meaningful to Loren than a general tour of important sites. Though he wanted more than just a sightseeing visit; leaning in a little, he said quietly: "I was hoping to have some time alone with you wherever you're staying, as well."
the Firebrand

Change author:
LOREN
Chuckling a bit at Sam's response, Loren turned to look at the Citadel, taking it in much as he had the first time. "It is certainly quite large, yes. It has to be, to house all the people of Halo whenever necessary." Although the population of the land was small, the threats the frozen region spat out were quite dangerous, and so the walls were very necessary.

As the Ascended asked to see the healer's favorite places, he hesitated for just a moment. Then, he nodded. However, when the other man asked for a more intimate tour later (the Launceleyn assumed), Loren smirked. "That can certainly be arranged." There was something hungry about the words, though they too were quiet.

With that, the healer began leading the way. Assuming Sam followed, the Launceleyn would take the redhead up the winding steps to the top of the wall. Once they reached it, Loren would lead them to one of the corners, which had a breathtaking view of both the tundra and the city, depending on which way one looked.

It was out of the way, and besides a few passing guards, no one else came here. "One of the best views in the Citadel, in my opinion." He leaned against the battlements, letting the Ascended take his time. As the other man looked, the healer watched Sam, taking a sip from the flask every once in a while.
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Change author:
SAMUEL
"I suppose so...There probably aren't abandoned buildings here like there are in the Ground." More of an idle comment than anything else, but Sam found himself looking from window to window as they walked further in the Citadel, though his attention was entirely on Loren when it was promised they could arrange a more private meeting later on in the day.

He followed Loren close, smiling to himself and thinking over how much things had changed in the last few weeks, how he'd been so distraught and was now really rather happy indeed, seeing a new place with a promise of intimacy with someone he found he liked quite a lot later on. They began to climb up the steps and he looked back over the Citadel as they rose above the heads of people walking in the streets, wondered how each of them would react to the Hollowed Ground's specific issues and battles. Perhaps this was somewhere he could feel more welcomed...?

This thought was halted by the view he was shortly presented with. "Oh, it's beautiful." Sam remarked, coming to walk to the battlements and look over the Tundra, hands resting on the edge of the stone. "I didn't...see it like this, when I was walking through it. Then I only thought it was harsh and cold."

Sam laughed, turning to look at Loren (if he noticed or thought anything of the flask, he said nothing at the moment). "Do you like it here? Not just with the view, I mean. Your job and the city, all of it."
the Firebrand

Change author:
LOREN
Loren shook his head at Sam’s comment that was more of a question. ”Not really. Although a lot of them aren’t occupied at any given time.” Shooting the Ascended a glance, the healer shrugged. ”We’ve got a lot of hunters here, and they can be gone for days at a time.”

Smiling a bit at the other man's reaction to the view, the Launceleyn tucked one hand into his pocket. The other still held the flask in a gloved hand. "It's harsh and cold." He gave Sam an almost sly and shy smile. "Doesn't mean it's not beautiful." The words came out softly, as if Loren didn't want to disturb the quiet hush up here. For a decently large city, the Citadel wasn't that loud.

Hesitating at the Ascended's question, the healer turned to lean against the wall. Taking a sip, he bit his lip. "I don't know, honestly." Sighing, he took his hand out of his pocket to run it through his hair, accidentally knocking the hood of his cloak down when he did. "It's...nice to have been given a purpose. So I guess, yes I like it."
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Change author:
SAMUEL
"What do they hunt?" Sam asked, unsure of what creatures could survive out in the freezing cold wilderness.

Harsh, cold and beautiful...He smiled with a little amused huff of air leaving his nose, looking over the landscape again. As Loren was speaking quietly Sam lowered his own voice as he replied: "I suppose you could say that about a lot of things. Do you have any favourite places out there? In the mountains?" As Sam had been exploring with a rather set goal in mind, he'd not gone for much observing in his time in the Tundra.

He watched Loren leaned against the wall, tilted his head with a concerned look as Loren said he wasn't sure if he liked it - though Sam couldn't help the small fond smile on his face as the man's hood fell. "I'm sure you do it very well. Have you had many to heal yet? ...If...you don't mind me asking, how are things going with your family being so close?"
the Firebrand

Change author:
LOREN
Loren glanced out at the tundra. ”The many beasts that roam Halo. Ursurs, luxere, and more.” Seeing as he personally had never been on a hunt, he was mostly going off of what he’d eaten and heard.

Staring in the direction of the Fangs, he shrugged at Sam’s question. ”I haven’t spent a great deal of time in the mountains.” The healer cocked his head to one side as he looked at the Ascended. ”Do you have a favorite spot there?”

As the questions turned to a personal nature, the Launceleyn found his brow furrowing slightly. ”The work is going well. Thankfully, I haven’t had many patients as of yet.” There was a bit of wry amusement to his voice.

Pushing off the wall, he began to head towards the nearest set of stairs. ”I haven’t really seen or spoken to any of them since coming to Halo, to be honest.” He hesitated. ”Well except for Peter.” Reaching the bottom, he turned to give Sam a quizzical look. ”How is the Hollowed Ground?” He took a sip from his flask as he waited for the answer.
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Change author:
SAMUEL
"They hunt Luxere? Oh dear...is Astra safe here?" Sam asked, quite surprised. In the Hollowed Ground the Luxere were something close to sacred, with their role of providing light in the Longnight. He supposed if they weren't needed for such a task here, they might well be a source of food or other materials...but something in him still felt odd about it.

He shook his head about the mountains. "No, not really..I'm afraid I've always liked buildings and ruins more than natural wonders...I think that's meant to be a sign of a bad character, but I find the view from this wall much more interesting than anything in the actual mountains themselves." Shrugging, Sam turned to follow Loren as he walked away, casting one more glance back to the view before he went proper.

"Peter? I..don't think I know him." Odd to think of a Launceleyn that was shy enough to have escaped notice, but Sam supposed he'd never really tried to seek them out either. "Oh, well...Jigano is sad you left. Ah...other than that...well, nothing of too much note has happened. I worried if I came here I'd miss some kind of council meeting or event, but nothing has been arranged, so..." Sam shrugged.

"I think most people are preoccupied with Torchline right now, or still mourning after Fiat Lux...it will take a long time for Sanctuary to get back to normal, I think." He sighed, wishing there was more he could do to help with that, but he knew all that was needed was time.
the Firebrand

Change author:
LOREN
Loren smiled a little at Sam's concern. "Astra is quite safe. People know a companion when they see one." Then the healer smirked a little. "Even if they didn't, our hunters are quite good at what they do. They never take the mothers or the children, just the men and the elderly." Strangely enough, there was a great deal of pride in his voice.

Nodding at the Ascended's response, the Launceleyn took a sip from his flask. "Not a sign of bad character at all." He shot the other man a quick grin. "I suppose I like both buildings and the wilderness. Just depends on my mood."

Shrugging at the revelation that the redhead didn't know Peter, Loren listened to the rest of Sam's explanation about the Hollowed Ground with a mostly impassive expression on the healer's face. As the Ascended spoke, Loren led them through the streets. "Yes, Rexanna has been scarce recently." There might have been the slightest hints of bitterness in his voice, so he took a deep and calming breath.

"Or maybe it will never get back to normal." There was something a little sad about the words, but sometimes things never recovered fully. The Launceleyn led them towards a building, slightly larger than the rest.
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Change author:
SAMUEL
Sam noticed how already Loren referred to the hunters as 'ours', raised his eyebrows but said nothing of it. If anything, he was glad that the Launceleyn so quickly felt like he was at home here; hopefully that sense of belonging would help him to heal. "I'm glad Astra will be alright, then. Has she adapted to it well, living here?" He had been rather sure Mia would hate it, so he had left her at his home for the week with plenty of food, a window to leave and enter through and a bed - she could look after herself, as she had before he'd found her.

Loren really was taking a lot of sips from his flask...for the moment Sam said nothing, not wanting to embarrass him in public, but there was a concerned quirk to his brow and lips whenever the Launceleyn took another drink.

He followed through the streets, noting the bitterness in Loren's voice. "Do you...not like her?" He asked carefully.

As they arrived at the large building he looked up at it, but was called back to thoughts of the Ground by Loren's remark. "Yes...I suppose it might end up being a new normal. It's...certainly no longer the town I grew up in." With that sad (or happy? Depending on how he looked at it) thought through, he touched the wall of the building. "So what's this?"
the Firebrand

Change author:
LOREN
”She loves it. It’s her natural habitat, after all." Loren grinned at the memory of Astra frolicking in the snow. Although he noted the concerned looks Sam was giving the healer, he ignored them.

Shaking his head at the Ascended's question, the Launceleyn bit his lip. "No, it's not that. I just..." Sighing, he ran a hand through his hair. "She told me she was my friend. But...she didn't come find me after..." His voice trailed off, and his eyes grew sad.

Grinning a bit, though there was a lingering sorrow in his expression, he pushed open the doors to the building. Inside, it was a mix of a lodge and a tavern. The people inside were elders, those rare few who'd survived the harsh land that was Halo. One of them was telling a story about a hunt from his youth. He wrapped up the story, and a woman spoke up next, telling of a legendary beast that stalked the snow.

"There is not a lot of paper in Halo, y'see. So most of the history is passed down orally." Loren nodded at the elders. "So these are our historians, I guess you would say." Glancing at the other man, the healer had an almost hopeful expression on his features.
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Change author:
SAMUEL
Loren's comment about Rexanna made Sam take a breath, unsure if he'd stepped into something too awkward to have asked about. Certainly the mention (or at least, implication) of Abasi's death made him cautious of what he said next. "Oh. I see...she...might have been busy, I suppose, but...I see why you'd be hurt. I'm sorry."

At least it seemed like Loren was excited to show him whatever was beyond the doors. Sam stepped inside, at first confused as to what he was looking at; surely Loren hadn't just brought him to the local tavern? As he began to listen though, he realised there was something more occurring here; with Loren's explanation his eyes widened and he looked to the Launceleyn with an excited smile on his face, a hand automatically going to touch his arm.

"Oh, this will be so amazing for my research! Thank you for showing me this." He quietly enthused, knowing he'd have to make some time to come with a notebook later to make records for the Loreseekers. "This...is...ah...!" Sam's clear (dorky) excitement made his smile wide indeed, watching the conversations with pure delight like he was seeing something truly beautiful, someone clearly passionate about his work.