followed a feeling
Maea Valair
Hollowed Grounds Ambassador / Loreseeker

Age: 29 | Height: 156 cm / 5'1 ft | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 4 - Strg: 22 - Dext: 22 - Endr: 25 - Luck: 21 - Int:
Played by: Chan Offline
Change author:
MP: 1917
MAEA
In the early morning as the horizon brightened from velvet night into the steely light of dawn, the fishing boats returned to shore. It was a quiet and somber sight, those solitary vessels that came drifting in with the wind and tide, and from a distance it looked still, quiet, almost peaceful. With their steady approach to the port came increasing volumes of sound however, and as if their coming was some signal the rest of the world had been waiting for, so did activity increase on the docks. Doors slammed open, shutters were pulled from windows, and men and women of all size, shape and age began to flood the harbor, their confident voices and sun-kissed skin a harmony to compliment the cry of Hels on the cool breeze.

Maea was an odd bird in this picturesque scenery, but then, she always stood out. Perched on one of the less busy docks, with her back to a tar-stained coul of ropes, she followed the goings on with keen interest. Out of the way from anyone trying to work, and saying nothing to draw attention to herself, her hands were kept busy with a length of soft cord; tying knots, trying to replicate the sometimes complicated sequences of looping and folding the sailors and fishermen used. Eyes bright, ears open and listening for gossip, for information, for any interesting tidbits the workers might bring up.

She'd found it was far easier to learn things this way, rather than try to coax truth out of them. The half that did not make warding signs against bad luck at the sight of her simply scoffed at her lack of knowledge, twice branding her a foreigner. It was the first time Maea truly understood what it might be like to be an Outlander. The irony was not lost on her.
I'm an angel bored like hell
And you're a devil meaning well
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
♦ Violence, magic, thievery is permitted with Maea at all times. DM me if you have any ideas ♦
Saiden Hali
Smuggler / Cook

Age: 33 | Height: 6' 2'' | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 5 - Strg: 15 - Dext: 17 - Endr: 20 - Luck: 17 - Int:
Played by: Crooked Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
saiden
Saiden had a sack of ingredients thrown over one shoulder. The typical suppliers had come through, and he walked through the port with a cheerful stride. He was headed back towards the Ark, which was getting ready for another voyage as soon as Jack was ready and had replaced the crew that'd been lost.

As he made his way onto the docks proper, he spotted a familiar figure. Altering course, he walked up to Maea with a bright grin. "You know, if I'd know you had an interest in knots I would've offered to show you the ropes last time we met." The terrible pun was made with a knowing wink. "What brings you back to brave the Torchline sun?" His eyes glittered. "Presumably not me and my incredibly tempting offer, right?"
Maea Valair

Age: 29 | Height: 156 cm / 5'1 ft | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
MAEA
At the sound of a voice she recognized, Maea looked up. Her expression brightened at the sight of the man, and the smile she gave him was wide and light. A far cry from the quiet reserve she'd met him with last time.

"Alas, I'm afraid I have to leave you disappointed yet again, master cook. Tempting though it really was." She gave him a wink, apparently in quite the good mood despite the early hour.

"I've been fishing for information a few days... your countrymen are far less forthcoming than the fish in that regard though." Holding up the terrible mess of a knot her latest attempt had yielded. "I'm trying to blend in... but it doesn't seem to be working." Her wistful sigh was not entirely sincere.
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
♦ Violence, magic, thievery is permitted with Maea at all times. DM me if you have any ideas ♦
Saiden Hali
Smuggler / Cook

Age: 33 | Height: 6' 2'' | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
saiden
Saiden laughed at Maea’s response. ”You really are a disappointment, yes.” However, it was clear that he wasn't at all bothered and didn't really mean it from the breezy tone of his voice.

As she mentioned she was hoping for information, he settled in to sit on a nearby crate. Swinging the sack to the ground, he grinned at her. "No, you definitely stick out. Far too pale and far too many clothes." He nodded sagely. Though it was a joke, it was true enough.

However, he cocked his head to one side. "Yes, we're a stingy lot." He leaned forward and dropped his voice to a conspiratorial whisper. "Unless, of course, you know how to ask questions the right way."
Maea Valair

Change author:
MAEA
Maea pouted a little and looked down at her long-sleeved dress, the way it rose high in the neck and flowed all the way to her feet, covering up as much skin as possible. "Well, that's hardly my fault. I still haven't learned how to tan, so until I figure out a way not to blister in the sun, this is what we have to work with." Though the garment was well made in a light fabric and complimented her figure it was still warm, and not at all similar to the clothing the locals wore. 'Bare minimum' seemed the theme to go with there... and perhaps she was a little grateful that she had a reason to avoid it. Being kissed - among other things - a few times did not make her automatically confidentabout displaying herself to the general public.

Looking back up, she considered Saiden with a thoughtful look. "Hm. How about I offer you a trade? Question for a question; I'll answer what you wish if you do the same for me. Over, say, some breakfast?" Her smile was open, inviting; though perhaps not in the way he might prefer.
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
Saiden Hali
Smuggler / Cook

Change author:
saiden
Saiden blinked at Maea’s response. ”You don’t learn how to tan. You just stand in the sun for a while and it happens.” The confusion in his words was evident. Then it cleared up and he smiled easily. "I knew a woman who was worried about being too fair-skinned to tan properly. She was shocked to wake up one day to realize it happened without her noticing." There was a strange fondness in his voice.

Tilting his head to the side, he considered her offer. Then he grinned a bit wickedly. "So long as you don't expect me to make the breakfast, and we can both refuse to answer whenever we want, you've got yourself a deal." Spitting on his palm, he held it out for her to shake.
Maea Valair

Change author:
MAEA
If she could explain, she would have. But Maea didn't know the underlying causes for her pale skin and tendency to burn anymore than Saiden seemed to, and so she could only shrug. Head tilting, rather curious at the new tone in his voice as he talked about the woman.

"I'm still waiting for it to happen," she assured him. "Who is she, a flame of yours?" she asked, smile a little mischievous.

As he spat in his hand and held it out for her however, Maea only stared at it with a bemused expression. Vaguely disgusted, and very confused. "Deal. But... what... am I supposed to do with your spit?" She made no attempt to reach for his hand, or come anywhere near it either.
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
Saiden Hali
Smuggler / Cook

Change author:
saiden
Saiden nodded at Maea’s comment. Her question, however, caused him to grin a bit wickedly. ”That seems to be your first question.” Cocking his head to one side, he raised his eyebrows, very much indicating that if she wanted the answer to that she'd have to answer a question of her own in exchange.

At her confusion, he laughed brightly. "You gotta seal the deal somehow." Smirking a bit, he shrugged. "We could do it with blood or with a kiss, but I figured you'd prefer this way." He continued holding his hand out, eyes sparkling. "Come on now. Spit in your hand and then give mine a shake. I thought you wanted to find out the traditions of Torchline."
Maea Valair

Change author:
MAEA
"I almost feel that blood would be less offensive," the girl said with a grimace. She looked him over, saw that he was serious - she wouldn't find out anything more unless she went along with this little ritual - and consdered whether he might settle for a peck on the cheek.

Hmm. Doubtful.

So... with a feeling that she was somehow being sullied, Maea spat in her own hand and clasped it to his, trying very much not to look like she wanted to leap into the water to rinse off right away. It was revolting.

"Now will you answer?" she winced - this part of the local customs was one she could do without.
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
Saiden Hali
Smuggler / Cook

Change author:
saiden
Before Saiden could actually respond to Maea’s comment, she was spitting and shaking. Clasping her hand firmly, he grinned a bit smugly at her, though there wasn't any cruelty or animosity to it. "Y'know, I would've settled for blood if I'd known you were comfortable with it." Then he laughed brightly. "Or a kiss, of course." There wasn't anything flirtatious about the response, just a matter of fact tone.

Then he leaned forward to start answering and asking in earnest. When he spoke, it was in a bit of a whisper, since he didn't really want anyone overhearing him. ”Former flame, and her name is Eloise Teralux.” There was a bit of amusement in his voice, and he took a bit before asking his own question. ”How did the portal to Torchline get opened?”
Maea Valair

Change author:
MAEA
And he said this now? Maea gave him a dark look and summoned fresh water with her magic, letting it pool up from a cupped hand so she could rinse it off. After thoroughly scrubbing her palm, she let the water drain away into the sea and flicked glittering droplets in Saidens direction, exacting a small revenge.

"Hmm.. I see." He made the name of his former lover sound like a terrible secret. Maea wasn't sure it was, but she nodded and stored the information away in her mind anyway, in case it ever came in handy. His return question made her blink, and for a moment she was very still, pale gaze fixing on the man as she began to reassess him. It was such a sharp, pointed question; nothing at all like the flirty rogue she'd come to see him as. It seemed he had some brains beneath that curly mop of hair.

"It was opened by the Ascended, no doubt by the instructions of the Voice" she replied, "but I do not know who or how they did it."

Adjusting her seat, the girls back straightened. "Surrounding the Hollowed Ground and the Greatwood, there are elemental storms that do not let up. Do they exist here in Torchline too?" she asked him. If her expression was any indication, the girl would memorize everything he told her.
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
Saiden Hali
Smuggler / Cook

Change author:
saiden
Saiden watched Maea scrubbing her hand with open amusement. ”A man might get offended, watching you wash off his spit like that.” Voice teasing, he reached out a hand. Water leapt from the ocean to wash his own hand, and he glanced at the sea almost affectionately.

Nodding along with her response, he found himself gazing out at the horizon as he took it in. At her question, his brow furrowed and he glanced back at her. "Not that I know of." Shrugging to indicate that he hadn't heard of anything like that restricting travel, he turned back fully to ask his next question. "What are the main imports and exports of the lands on the other side of the portal?"
Maea Valair

Change author:
MAEA
"A girl wouldn't mind so much if it came from the right man," she retorted. "Maybe." But she somehow doubted it would trill her, even if it was Sunjata who spat on her. Kisses were one thing, and this? Quite something else. Far less agreeable.

His reply to her question was disappointing, but also quite interesting. If Torchline was not bound by the storms, it meant the cause must be somewhere around her homeland. Perhaps a lingering effect of the barrier, perhaps another attempt at keeping the ascended and their goddess in place. Maea nodded.

"None," she replied to his query, and shrugged. "The Hollow Ground has been isolated for three hundred years. There is nothing there to export, and nothing to trade with for import. I know less about the Greatwood, save that the Fae seem to keep to themselves. There is however a portal to Halo... I hear they are supposed to have mageglass there, but their Warden denies it."

Pursing her lips, Maea thought up a few more questions, and picked one. "Are there any gods worshipped here, aside from the Three and their Herolds?"
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
Saiden Hali
Smuggler / Cook

Change author:
saiden
Saiden laughed again. "Oh now I know I'm offended. Apparently I'm completely wrong." Shooting Maea a quick grin, he shrugged to let her know he was just kidding.

Frowning at her words, he gave her a considering look. For a while his eyes just searched her, trying to figure out if she could possibly be telling the truth. Finally, he shook his head.

Her question caught him off guard. "Mostly we worship Ludo, Mort, Safrin, and Vi, though some do pray to Frey and Rae as well." He gave her a quizzical look. ”What other gods would we worship?” The question slipped out of his mouth before he had a chance to think about.