water has memory
the Firebrand
Headmaster / Grand Healer

Age: 29 | Height: 5' 11' | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 11 - Strg: 32 - Dext: 33 - Endr: 35 - Luck: 39 - Int:
ASTRA - Mythical - Luxere
Played by: Crooked Offline
Change author:
MP: 3415
Given that Loren needed to keep himself distracted now more than ever, he'd thrown himself into work as Grand Healer. As part of that, he figured he needed to recruit others to help him with his work. To that end, he'd sent a note to Evie asking her to meet him just outside the Palace gates.

Astra was by his side, and he petted her absently. Despite the chill in the air, he wasn't wearing gloves. For some reason, the cold had stopped bothering him recently, and he decided to take full advantage of that face. Dressed only in a black shirt, black pants, and boots, he waited patiently for the redheaded woman to show up.
you are lost, hope is gone
but you must go on
Loren
Base Code by Sky!
Evie Ignatius
the Evergreen
Warden of Halo / Apothecarist

Age: 34 | Height: 5'5 | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 8 - Strg: 18 - Dext: 20 - Endr: 30 - Luck: 30 - Int:
MICAH - Regular - Tide Jaguar
Played by: Brit Offline
Change author:
MP: 9667
EVIE
Halo is still foreign to her, still as looming and strange as it was the day she first stepped through the portal. Evie is not the type to long for friendship, not as a Natural and certainly not as a woman used to having few, strong ties. Nevertheless the isolation has been impacting her in unexpected ways. Making her long for a friendly expression when she receives only chilly distrust on every face she passes by. It chafes, makes her feel weak and childish, and yet she nonetheless latches onto Loren's offer the moment it's extended.

The magic she has been gifted to deal with the cold is a gift she can scarcely believe even after her prolonged time here, unaware of what causes it but unwilling to question it. It makes it easier to venture out to meet the man, cloaked in her thicker outfits and furs but not bundled so thickly as others might have. Loren seems to be clad in much the same as she approaches and flashes him a smile in greeting. "Well you've lured me out," she jokes playfully. "What's on the agenda for today?"
and it's my whole heart
while tried and tested, it's mine
the Firebrand

Age: 29 | Height: 5' 11' | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:
As Evie approached, Loren smiled faintly at her. Astra, of course, trotted right up to the redhead and looked up with eyes that just begged for a scratch. Letting out a huff of laughter, the healer nodded at the woman. "Glad you took my bait." The storms and dark moods had passed, the icy walls had crashed down, and while he still looked tired and gaunt and sad, he didn't look as broken as he once had.

"Two things." Gesturing for her to follow, he began to walk. "First, as you might've heard, I'm the Grand Healer of Halo." He turned to study her reaction to this news. "The population of Halo might be small, and used to fending for itself, but even I'm not so naive or prideful as to think I can take care of them on my own." Pausing, he smiled again. "So, while I don't know your plans, exactly, I was wondering whether you would like to be my assistant." The offer came out tentatively, but it was genuine.

Then he grinned a bit sheepishly. "Also, you know far more than I do about herblore. I wanted to set up a greenhouse, and figured you'd know better than I what plants would grow best in one."
but you must go on
Loren
Base Code by Sky!
Evie Ignatius
the Evergreen

Age: 34 | Height: 5'5 | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:
EVIE
Astra's presence, just as it had the first time they'd met, brightens Evie's countenance as she steps forward to obligingly love on the adorable creature. Petting and cooing over her for a moment before Loren's words distract her. With a loving pat on the soft fur beneath her palm, Evie moves to catch up with the Summoner as he turns and begins to walk. Deciding not to comment just yet on the pale, withdrawn look he carries.

"I heard, and congratulations." Her small smile is sincere, both proud of his accomplishments and glad to have a friendly face in this desolate land. At least his job will keep him close to her. Though what he proposes would do just the same. Evie can't help her startled, eager sound, blue eyes wide as she searches Loren's face for deception that she does not find. Her pride turns its nose up at the offer, spoiled by a life of independence in her apothecary shop. But she is not in Halo by any measure of work on behalf of her pride. It's a position the rest of the whole of her desires, and joy and eagerness suffuse her expression immediately. "I would be honored, Loren!" Evie wants to tackle him into the snow in a tight hug, only barely refraining because he looks like he'll snap in half if she tries to. "I prepared plenty starter plants in the Grounds before I left, I can definitely use what I have on hand to help the greenhouse get a leg up." Considering how rarely she checks in at her own shop now - mostly for the regulars, who are already aware of her move to Halo - they'd likely be of better use in the greenhouse anyway.
and it's my whole heart
the Firebrand

Change author:
Blinking at Evie's response, Loren nodded slowly. "Thank you." It came out awkwardly stilted, and he found himself rubbing a nervous hand on his thigh. Looking away slightly, he bit his lip.

However, his gaze was drawn back to her at the sound of (hopefully) pleased surprised. Smiling faintly as she actually accepted his offer, he breathed a sigh of relief. "Thank you. Again. I was honestly worried about doing this alone, and having you as a partner in this will...well it's a great relief." His tone was truly grateful.

His smile broadened as she mentioned she could provide plants. "That's wonderful. Thanks. Again, again." Running a hand through his hair, he continued leading her around the Citadel. "Any thoughts about where to locate the greenhouse? Or suggestions on what you'd like to do as the Associate Grand Healer?" He shot her a curious look. "Or whatever you'd like to be called." Giving her a rueful grin, he shrugged.
but you must go on
Loren
Base Code by Sky!
Evie Ignatius
the Evergreen

Change author:
EVIE
He's just as awkward and endearing as she remembers from their first meeting in her shop, and her grin turns a little sharp and teasing at the edges. Still a little too much 'big sister' in her personality to not want to prey on such things. His gratitude - while excessive - only further convinced her that he deserves the role.

"I believe in you, but I'll be your backup in case you ever need to run away to a back room." The teasing tone of voice will hopefully put him at ease. Evie is confident that such an event won't come to pass, but in case it does she'll happily step to the plate for him. "Benevolent Supreme Halo Healer Assistant is a bit of a mouthful, so Associate Grand Healer will work," she laughs as they crunch through the snow eternally underfoot.

"Renovating a spare room inside the Palace would be marginally easier to regular temperature, but a terrace or courtyard would work if we make the greenhouse frame from scratch." Caidians don't shy away from hard work, but working smarter not harder has always been her philosophy. Especially with finnicky plants. "If you want I could focus on preventive measures in the Citadel. Stopping people from being sick in the first place would make our jobs much easier, especially with this climate. And my..." her voice wavers, recalling how she had concealed her magic from Loren in the past. But she is trying so hard to stop doing that now, and this is good practice if nothing else. "My healing magic could help clear up minor cases. And inspire trust in us as healers who aren't from Halo." Something she can understand as a Natural herself.
and it's my whole heart
the Firebrand

Change author:
Lips twitching at Evie's comment, Loren shook his head. "I have a tendency to try and bludgeon my problems to death rather than run away from them, but I appreciate the offer." Tone self-deprecating, he actually let out a huff of laughter at her reply about her title. "As long as you're okay with something that abbreviates to AGH." There might've been the slightest teasing edge to his voice.

Nodding thoughtfully at her comment, his brow furrowed in concentration. "Supplies won't be a problem. I'll see if I can find a spare room that's suitable." He shot her a grateful smile.

Drumming his fingers against his thigh, he tilted his head to the side. "I think those are excellent ideas." Giving her an encouraging look, he ran a hand through his hair. "I was also thinking it would be a good idea to put together small portable medical kits for the hunters to take out with them, since most injuries happen far away from the Citadel." The suggestion came out hesitantly.
but you must go on
Loren
Base Code by Sky!
Evie Ignatius
the Evergreen

Change author:
EVIE
"Guess I'll have to keep an eye on your problematic patients," she teases, rolling with the punches so to speak. Self-degradation is not new to her after living most of her life with Samuel after all. Loren can't hope to beat that level of depressing. "I suppose I can settle for an acronym. Makes it more mysterious." Not that many will question her position she thinks. There hasn't really been a centralized force of healing and medicine in Halo.

"If you can find the room I can coordinate the construction," she offers kindly. Loren had already dealt with constructing the main clinic after all. If this was to be her main area of assistance then it would make sense that it would be her duty to oversee the building process.

His offer is just as sound, and her brain can't help but cheer in delight, reveling in the chance to talk shop with another experienced healer. So much more satisfying in use than poring over old tomes and memorizing applications. "I think that's a good idea. And perhaps some written and illustrated guides to go inside them to explain more complicated tools. Seminars were never overly popular in the Grounds, and with daily hours reserved for just getting by here, I don't think it would be helpful to the general populace." The Halo citizens are far more independent and reticent than the Hollowed Grounds after all. At least they could provide more advanced supplies if they included instructions, and give them a chance at using them correctly.
and it's my whole heart
the Firebrand

Change author:
Loren snorted at Evie's reply. "Don't worry, I'll play nice with the patients." Then he grinned a bit weakly. "All bets are off once they're treated though." However, it was clear he was (at least partially) joking.

"Acronym it is." Giving her a grateful nod when she agreed to work on the greenhouse, he glanced back at the Palace. "I'll let you know when I've found a suitable location." His brow had already furrowed in thought as he went through his mental map of the Palace.

He found his eyes widening with surprise and delight as she added her own twist to his plan. "That's an excellent idea." Smiling, he found his posture straightening up and his pace increasing slightly with excitement. "I was also thinking about setting up an outpost closer to the gates for hunters who get injured out in the Tundra. We can stabilize them there before transporting them to the infirmary." His suggestion came out almost shyly, though it was clear he was pleased to be able to touch base with a fellow healer.
but you must go on
Loren
Base Code by Sky!
Evie Ignatius
the Evergreen

Change author:
EVIE
Evie snorts a laugh, pulling her hair away from where it flies stubbornly into her face in the wind. Though she can't feel the chill, it doesn't keep her safe from the annoyance of such physical things. "We'll institute a countdown requirement for departure, for their own safety of course." Though she still privately has faith in Loren that he certainly has yet to display towards himself. Though she is also confident he will honor his word and find a more than suitable location for her greenhouse. Even if his bedside manner may fail at times, his dedication to his tasks is unmistakable and unshakable.

The excitement she instills in him, brightening his countenance into something she is happier to see on his visage, only makes her smile warmly in response. "That's also a good idea. Perhaps we can set up some sort of communication system if we are in the Palace and there are no other healers? Birds are quite easily trainable unless we can find a magical alternative." Something that would ensure someone more grievously wounded would get stabilizing treatment fast enough to be meaningful. "Unless you think we can staff it adequately with trainees?"
and it's my whole heart
the Firebrand

Change author:
Snorting slightly, Loren nodded. "Make it long. For everyone's sake." Clearly not minding some ribbing at his expense, he smiled faintly at Evie. There was still something obviously tentative and hesitant about it, though.

Brow furrowing in concentration, he bit his lip. "All of the above, perhaps." Drumming his fingers against his thigh, he continued to walk slowly. "Magical communication exists, but it's rare. Perhaps we can rely on birds until we can secure some. And I'm hopeful that we can find some more trainees and healers." Pausing, he shot her a considering look. "I was also thinking of having some trainings on emergency and basic medicine."
but you must go on
Loren
Base Code by Sky!
Evie Ignatius
the Evergreen

Change author:
EVIE
She doesn't mind - or comment - on his quiet and reserved nature. He had been similar in their first meeting, and while this is clearly different, she knows the importance of privacy and confiding in someone willingly instead of being pushed to do so. "I'll even put a plaque on the wall as a warning." She keeps her voice light and unassuming, letting him decide how this walk goes, how much he would like to entrust to her.

"Birds will work in the interim until we can secure magical means perhaps." However long that takes. Halo is suspiciously brimming with Abandoned, and while she's still only tentatively taking steps to familiarize herself with her own magic, she's still quite unaware of the limits and possibilities that others possess. "Trainings would be nice, but the problem is getting people to attend. It's time away from tending crops, hunting, and homecaring. They were never majorly popular in the Hollowed Ground, but nobody could fault us for trying." Even if only one person attends, isn't that still a worthy impact?
and it's my whole heart
the Firebrand

Change author:
Simply grinning faintly in response, Loren found himself relaxing slightly in Evie's presence. Nodding at her comment about the birds, he found his brow furrowing thoughtfully as she brought up the issue with training. "That's true enough." He bit his lip as he considered the problem.

"What about written instructions?" It came out slowly and uncertainly. "I don't know if everyone in Halo can read but..." Voice trailing off, he glanced at her. "Perhaps a sheet or two explaining what to do with the supplies could be included with each booklet? And we can distribute longer explanations for people to read at their own leisure?" It wasn't the perfect, or even best solution, just a suggestion.
but you must go on
Loren
Base Code by Sky!
Evie Ignatius
the Evergreen

Change author:
EVIE
"Perhaps with added illustrations, for those who have trouble reading? Parchment can be folded relatively small, even a large piece if we need more space for instructions." Evie would rather be certain that each little pamphlet could be used by anyone regardless of education or upbringing.

"And we can still host educational meetings, but perhaps with a sign up for those who are interested? Then we can contact them and find a time and date that works for all instead of hosting randomly." Evie doesn't intend to be a vacant presence in her role, and assumes Loren would agree. If people seek their knowledge freely, the redheaded woman would assuredly be there to assist.
and it's my whole heart