It's just the trauma talking
Messenger

Age: 28 | Height: 5'0" | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 7 (lvl 3 Attuned) - Strg: 10 - Dext: 27 - Endr: 19 - Luck: 14 - Int:
PERCY - Mythical - Unicorn (Superspeed) SOOT - Regular - Wine Spider
Played by: Jaecarys Offline
Change author:
MP: 150
ashe
They may say, "You're too small, you're too young to do it all,"
But you're a giant on the inside.
They may say, "It's not enough, leave your dreams collecting dust,"
But there's a fire that you can't hide.

Ashe had been working very, very hard to stay out of sight as of late. She had all but vanished into the woods, only finally coaxed out of the woods by her mother. Even then, she still carefully kept herself away. She was fairly certain her father would never speak to her again, and she kept herself as distant as she could from everyone else. There was one who just wouldn’t allow her isolation half the time, but she wasn’t thinking about him just then. In fact.. She wasn’t thinking too hard at all.

It hadn’t taken her long to figure out where the Guildhall was. While Ashe had become perhaps the most distant she ever had, she kept what tabs she could in this scattered new world. It had been easy to figure out where Ronin was living, what he was up to. Bounty hunter. It suited him when she thought about it. The other thing… well, she’d talk to him about it, but that sure as fuck suited him too.

The raven-haired girl arrived as night fell, sometime around when most normal people had their supper, but no one had been home. Or if there was, they weren’t answering the door. She almost turned around and left right then, courage fleeing her briefly. She hadn’t seen Ronin in a while. It would be easy to shift, to bound back into the shadows and wait there for everyone to forget her. It would be better for everyone, to just let her fade away... but she selfishly missed him.

So Ashe leaned against the frame beside his door, uncorked the flask of wine at her hip, and she waited. As if summoned by the smell, a fuzzy, spindly spider rose from behind her shoulder and brushed under her short locks of black hair. It let out a quiet chitter as the assassin took a drink from the flask, and she cast a sidelong glare down to him as he stretched one of his thin legs towards where the flask met her lips.

She sighed as she lowered the flask, and Soot nearly toppled off of her shoulder as that outstretched leg tried to follow it. ”Spoiled,” she grumbled, though she couldn't hide her soft smile as she nudged him back. He shrank down to cling closer to her shoulder, letting out a quiet squeak at her. ”You can have some later.”
Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Age: 34 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 14 - Strg: 58 - Dext: 70 - Endr: 58 - Luck: 79 - Int: 3
SUGAR - Mythical - Dragon (Ice Breath)
Played by: Honey Offline
Change author:
MP: 3061

Ronin was coming.

And when he was done, he pulled on some clothes and padded downstairs to get the door. He'd heard someone knock - distantly, albeit, through the haze of pleasure and Vanya that had seized control of his mind - and only now did he feel it appropriate to check if they were still there. Clicking the door open to gaze into the dusk, Ashetta would be greeted with a very ruffled Ronin indeed, his shirt hastily buttoned, his feet bare, his pants still undone.

"Ah," he said quickly as he regarded the woman he considered a sister, pink flushing across his cheeks. Clearing his throat, he straightened up and clumsily tied his pants, stepping aside to let her in. "Uh," he continued helpfully. "Hi." Unable to keep up the pretense, Ronin burst into laughter. "Wow, this is awkward. I can give you a hug, but I think we both know I smell like sex." He opened his arms for her.

RONIN
Darkness is a funny thing. It creeps up on you.
Messenger

Age: 28 | Height: 5'0" | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
ashe

Ashe had her flask tipped back as the door was finally pulled open, and she stepped forward off of the wall to cork the flask and replace it at her hip. She blinked and assessed Ronin for a moment at his tone, flickering a hint of a smile at him before she really got a good look at him. She paused when he did, looked him over, and - Oh. Ashe’s eyes went wide as Ronin fixed his pants, and she cleared her throat as she glanced away to step through the door of the large building. She busied herself with pulling in detail from the place Ronin now called home. She quirked a brow and lifted an idle hand to brush over the soft hairs of Soot on her shoulder before she finally turned to look back at the former captain.

Ronin burst into laughter then, breaking apart the thick air and coaxing a brief smile from her, one that reached her eyes for the first time in a while. Ashe shook her head and wrinkled her nose at him with a scoff that was closer to a laugh. ”You smell worse than that,” she griped, and for a moment, she just looked at him with his arms open. She hesitated, just for a moment, before she shook her head again and stepped into his arms. Ashe hugged him tightly, realizing just then how much she really had missed him. And he greeted her so… normally.. that the relief was nearly crushing. Even if he did..definitely smell like sex. Gross.

The assassin cleared her throat and stepped back, giving him a brief nudge to his shoulder before she half turned to look at the large room again. ”Not a bad place you got yourself,” she said as she turned back to face him fully. Her eyes glanced to where that spire demon had ripped into him. Ashe’s jaw feathered as she looked back up at him. ”Missed you crab-kicker.”
Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Age: 34 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:

"I do not." Ronin's protest was murmured around a shit-eating grin as he clicked the door shut after her. Her discomfort was all too apparent, and he couldn't help but find it funny - it wasn't like he could change it now, was it? The ex-captain glanced up towards the stairs where he had no doubt that his lady was luxuriating in a well-deserved rest; having no inclination to disturb her, Ronin figured he could have a catch up with Ashe with just the two of them.

Whether or not he did smell, he still hugged her tightly in return, holding her close and giving her a gentle squeeze. "And I missed you, madam spy," he murmured, stepping back from her to smile warmly, clasping her shoulders only for his fingers to brush over Soot. "Uh... there's a bug on you. Shall I get it?" Ronin's eyes narrowed a little, the ex-captain lifting his hand as if to take aim. He only paused as he noticed Ashe's eyes flickering over his shoulder, and he lowered his hand.

"I'm alright," he promised her. "I am, really. Come and sit with me, we've not caught up in a long time."

RONIN
Messenger

Change author:
ashe

Ashe pulled in a breath and held it as Ronin held her shoulders, looked her over. Then she frowned and shot him a glare, raising a hand to protectively hover her spider. "First you kick a defenseless crab and now you want to squash my spider?" she accused, angling her shoulder back just as he dropped his hand. "He's no bug, his name is Soot." The spider that crouched close against her shoulder let out a small hiccup from under her hand.

She watched him carefully as she lowered her own hand, glancing at his shoulder again before looking up to meet his eyes. Her chest tightened at his assurances - he was okay, she knew he was.. but there was no mistaking the cold fingers of dread that dragged down her back when she remembered how bright his blood had been. Still, she gave the man a tight nod and let loose her breath as she glanced over her shoulder. With another nod, she made her way for one, picking a sturdy wooden chair to seat herself in. The assassin looked up to keep her eyes on Ronin with a half smile.

He was right - it had been a long time since they'd caught up. There was a time when they trained together daily, sunsets on the shores of Northaven their time and place. What had happened, exactly, for that to die? You did, idiot girl. She braced her forearms against the table and swallowed around the constriction in her throat. It was a moment before she looked back up to Ronin, eyes dancing.. and Ashe gave Ronin what had become a rare grin as of late. "You're going to be a father," she said with her smile, and her smile was real. The moment she said it it seemed to sink in better, it was impossible to understand the feeling that swelled in her chest at the thought of Ronin having a child. All she knew is it made her smile when smiling was hard to do.
Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Change author:

"Soot," Ronin repeated, his tone wry and a smile twitching at his lips that he was badly trying to hide. "You got a spider for a pet and you named him Soot. Ashe and Soot." He snorted, clapping her on the shoulder (the one without the spider on it) and shaking his head. "Only you... wait, did he just hiccup?" The ex-captain asked his question as he followed his friend over to the table, sinking down into a chair as well and reaching out to use the single candle that was lit to give light to a few others. Soon they were bathed in a warm glow, which made Ashe's sudden grin all the brighter.

You're going to be a father.

If her grin wasn't contagious before it certainly was now, Ronin shooting her a dazzling smile that seemed to just beam out of him. "Yeah," he said softly, sounding still as though he couldn't believe his luck. "Yeah, I am. It... I wanted to tell you myself, but I couldn't find you anywhere." His smile faded somewhat and he reached out to rest a hand over hers. "I saw Alistair at the Bone Bridge, and... I heard. What do you need?"

RONIN
Messenger

Change author:
ashe

"Yes, Soot," she had replied, sounding quite pleased with herself. "He's got a thing for wine." Her eyes followed him when he sat, when he registered her statement. If knowing Ronin would be a father was enough to make her smile, seeing the dazzling grin as he confirmed it warmed her from the top of her head to her toes. "Fatherhood suits you already Ro," she said. Her smile tamed as he went on, then wavered.. then fell. Yes, she had been pretty hard to find for some time.

Ashe dropped her eyes down to where Ronin had placed his hand over hers, brows drawn together. She had seen Alistair on the bone bridge too. Had seen him with that other woman - a fucking gorgeous woman. Ashe could see the scars of her small hands peaking out from under her friend's. She cleared her throat. "Yeah," she murmured roughly without looking up. Her voice was tight, and she was angry at how suddenly she felt she would cry. "I uh.. he.. he did what he had to. I fucked up too many times." Her gut twisted. She had run away into the night with her night terrors one too many times. He'd been upset about the training she'd been doing, but she hadn't been hiding it from him.. Idiot girl. She looked back up with firelight glistened in her misted eyes, but she forced the tears down, down, down, until they were smothered entirely.

The assassin shook her head and raised her free hand to idly coax Soot from behind her shoulder, stroking a finger over his fuzzy body. "It doesn't matter what I need," she went on and forced a tight-lipped smile. She managed to get the stumbling spider into her hand and placed him gently on the table. "He's free of me and happy. That's what matters." She tried not to think about the way it felt when he handed her soul back to her, when he validated the twisted blackness of it with his words. She didn't want to think about how she had once thought she might be capable of making him happy. Of making anyone happy.

Ashe had to bite her lip to stop the tremble that just barely started. Ronin didn't need this, didn't need to deal with her bullshit. He had a baby on the way, a whole guild to run. The last thing she should be doing is dumping her troubles on him. She did enough damage to peoples' lives, and she still hadn't ruled out the idea of vanishing. She looked down and busied herself with uncorking her flask and pulling out the small scrap of leather she often used for her spider, pouring a small puddle of wine and leaving it for Soot. He scuttled for it on spindly legs and lowered himself over it silently while Ashe took a long drink from it herself.

She turned her gaze back to Ronin and wiped her lips. "Don't worry about me, yeah?" she told him. She took another short drink from her wine before she held the flask out in offering to Ronin. "I want to hear what you've been up to. You're the leader of a bounty hunter's guild now I hear - you've been busy." She glanced about at the guildhall before settling her eyes back on Ronin.
Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Change author:

"He's not the only one by the look of it, either," Ronin remarked of Soot as Ashe took a long pull from her flask. He accepted it as it was offered nonetheless, taking a drink and tipping it to her in a toast before handing it back. Ronin knew well the allure of numbing ones senses, and without the General of the Storm to mind his back it was easy to fall back into old habits. Not that he thought it was a bad thing or intended to go off the rails - Ronin had been too uptight back in Northaven towards the end, and the stress of it was damaging him. He could only give a bashful smile and a shrug at her remark; time would tell if it really suited him, but there was no hiding how pleased he was about it.

A soft sigh escaped Ronin as Ashe spoke of what had happened between her and her now ex-husband, the guildmaster brushing his thumb over the back of her hand. "Or maybe he just wasn't right for you anymore," he murmured. "There's no shame in that, Ashe. What fit before might not always fit. People grow, they need different things." It was why he thanked his lucky stars every time he got to slip off to sleep with Vanya in his arms.

Gently, Ronin gave her hand a squeeze, a sad smile on his face as he watched her visibly swallow down her emotions. Soot was a small distraction, and he watched the spindly creature weave about to get to the wine with a smile he couldn't help, though it disappeared as Ashe totally disregarded herself - and told him not to worry. As if. Ronin snorted and slouched back in his chair to fold his arms across his chest, regarding her as though she had just grown an extra head. "Don't worry about you. Your needs don't matter. You really think that's going to fly with me? You're family."

Letting out a sigh, he reluctantly allowed her to change the subject - for now. "Being busy is a habit I've not been able to get out of," he agreed, glancing around the guildhall. "I just couldn't fall back into old habits when I knew what was out there. Back in Northaven, there was so much that was unknown. I know the thing that is putting people in danger here - I felt its teeth. So why would I build up our defences when I can actively try to solve the problem?" He shrugged. "I could use a hand, though."

RONIN
Messenger

Change author:
ashe

Ashe bobbed her eyebrows in place of a shrug as she accepted the flask back, taking another generous drink from it before she corked it and set it down between them. She would have been all too happy to keep charging forward with topics of his new guild, to let the other thoughts go, and she had to bite back her bitter scoff. Not right for you anymore. No, she hadn't been right for him. She wasn't right for anyone. She almost said it, almost snapped aloud that it wasn't so simple as Alistair not being right for her. Everything she did and didn't do... of course he needed different things. Anything had to be better than the pain she gave him. He was free of her. That was what mattered.

Still, her face warmed when Ronin pointed out her deflection. She pursed her lips and averted her eyes, eyeing that flask and suddenly wishing she’d grabbed something a little stronger than wine. ”I’m fine,” she outright lied. She hadn’t come here to complain of her pains and problems - she’d come to see him. She finally flicked her eyes back up and leaned forward to brace her arms over the table when he conceded the subject.

She nodded and didn’t take her eyes from him as he explained, and one hand moved to idly stroke her finger over Soot as he slowly took in his drink. He was right - the spire demon was a powerful example of what they faced here, the dangers to everyone. Something flickered in her, an old urgency she hadn’t felt in some time. She watched his shrug and let out a long and slow breath, leaning back in her chair as she nodded. ”I know I’ve been absent,” she said. ”But I’m back… mostly.” Her eyes flickered downwards for a moment, thinking back to a few nights prior. The day following.. She didn’t want to be alone. She was trying to do better.

She looked back up and took ahold of her flask again - she’d need to find herself a refill before she returned.. home. Or found herself somewhere to curl up with her tail over her nose. ”I’ll always help Ro, any way I can,” she went on, and she meant it. If there was a way for her to help without fucking up, she’d do it. In a heartbeat, she would. ”I could help against that demon guarding the spire. I don’t know about you, but I want out.”

Ashe leaned forward again, some of her tension bleeding away as something distantly sparked in her eyes. Something to focus on, a real goal... ”That spire is obviously connected to all this, it has to be. I don’t believe in coincidence, and that demon is trying to keep everyone from figuring out whatever the hell that giant black spike is. If we can find a way in there, we’ll find something that could get us out of here, I know it. I know it didn’t like my lighting - it sizzled the thing like tinder.” She paused and chewed her lip a moment as her heart squeezed unexpectedly, suddenly remembering it’s razor teeth at it shrieked at her - breath smelling of rot and blood. Ronin’s blood. She took a steadying breath as she gently brushed over Soot’s spindly leg, earning her a small hiccup that sounded perhaps more like a squeak. ”It wasn’t flesh that burned when I struck it, Ronin. It cracked and it seared and it burned, but there was nothing natural about it.”
Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Change author:

"And I'm stupid, apparently, if you think I'm going to believe that." Still, Ronin was as much a liar as Ashe and had just as colourful a past (if not quite as bleak), so his tone was good natured as he called her out. He sat up a little in his seat, resting a forearm on the table and smiling to her warmly. "Mostly back is good enough for me. Don't be a stranger on my doorstep, yeah? Ever. I miss you." That, at least, was completely honest. Ronin missed routine and he missed his creature comforts and he missed his people, though he was lucky in that the large majority of them had fallen into Caido along with him. Now if they would all just stop hiding away, that would be even better.

RONIN
Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Change author:

"And I'm stupid, apparently, if you think I'm going to believe that." Still, Ronin was as much a liar as Ashe and had just as colourful a past (if not quite as bleak), so his tone was good natured as he called her out. He sat up a little in his seat, resting a forearm on the table and smiling to her warmly. "Mostly back is good enough for me. Don't be a stranger on my doorstep, yeah? Ever. I miss you." That, at least, was completely honest. Ronin missed routine and he missed his creature comforts and he missed his people, though he was lucky in that the large majority of them had fallen into Caido along with him. Now if they would all just stop hiding away, that would be even better.

Hearing that she would always be there to help was... Ronin couldn't describe how much it reassured him. Some tension in him relaxed, his smile softening, and he nodded to her. "Thank you. We need you - same as we all needed each other back behind the Wall. Except it's some creepy forcefield now that's trapping us. I don't know about out just yet, not with the baby... but I want the option. And I want that monster gone." The guildmaster's gaze sharpened and he clenched his fist on the table, meeting Ashetta's eyes as she spoke about their last encounter with the thing.

He hummed in agreement about the Spire and the demon that prowled around it, nodding. "We need to get rid of it to open this mystery up any further - so your lightning will be a huge part of that. I'm counting on you. It seemed to burn nicely in general, so perhaps Remi could make us some incendiary ammo or projectiles... bombs, even." He shook his head. "I have a trump card, too... I met something... someone, rather. A goddess." He smiled quietly, glancing down at the table again. "Safrin. She promised her aid when we next face that thing."

Ronin's expression grew puzzled as Ashe continued, however, the ex-captain tilting his head and rubbing at the stubble on his chin. "What was it, then?" he asked softly. "It's venomous too, I can say that much. Isla found one of its damned fangs in my shoulder when it bit and poisoned me. She's working on an antivenom."

RONIN
Messenger

Change author:
ashe

Ashe let out a quiet breath with a faint smile, startled to feel prickling at the back of her eyes. "I miss you too, Ro," she answered softly. Ashe took a deeper breath then and sat up with a quick drink from her flask, her eyes remaining on the bounty hunter.. and she nearly sputtered with her wine. She lowered the flask and shook her head. "Last thing anyone needs is me," she muttered. But she let it go, remaining silent with the rest of what he said. If she could make a difference in taking down that demon at least, then she'll have done something good before she found her way out.

I'm counting on you. Those words slipped in somewhere between the cracks of her defense, settling deep. Her face fell for a moment as she looked at Ronin, her hand curling against the wood of the table. She refocused on him as he went on, ignoring the weight of that sentence in her chest. "Can't make bombs so strong that they blast the spire," Ashe murmured. "We don't want to accidentally trap ourselves here forever." She refused to consider that they already were - there had to be a way beyond all of this. She was thinking more on how they might blast the demon from a safer distance when he mentioned a... goddess?

She blinked and focused her attention wholly on Ronin, eyes narrowing to better focus on his words. Safrin. Ashe commit the name to memory, told herself she'd see if she could find more information in that library she'd been meaning to visit. Ashe tilted her head, and the way Ronin spoke about this being that promised him her help, she wanted to believe him. She did believe him. But she had a lot more sharp questions than nods of awe.

The assassin took a slow breath and let those questions go for the moment, thinking back on when she had struck her lightning down on that demon, had smelled it's rotting and cooking flesh. Flesh that hadn't looked like flesh at all when it was split open with burns. Ashe furrowed her brow and shook her head. "I don't know what it was I saw, it was burning and sizzling, but it was not any kind of organic flesh I've ever seen, burning or intact." Ashe had seen more wounds in thirteen years than many people did in a lifetime, and more than enough severe burns to know that this was nothing like they'd ever encountered before. "Antivenom will be helpful if we don't kill it the next time we face it," she went on thoughtfully. We - it would always be we. For as long as she was there and able, she was going to help, no matter what was happening in her absurd personal life.

Ashe sat back in her chair again and rubbed her hand over her mouth before she lowered it, looking at Ronin thoughtfully. "Safrin. She said she'd help, but for what price?" She knew quite well that it was rare for such things to be given out for free. Especially from a diety. "You trust this goddess?"

Age: 3 | Height: | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: - Strg: - Dext: - Endr: - Luck: - Int:
Played by: Admin Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
4/5

The air around Ronin dimmed for a moment making him appear almost silhouetted by some unseen ethereal light. Distantly the sounds of triumph in battle echoed; muffled screams and cheers of success. Both Ashetta and Ronin would feel invigorated, their hope renewed. Their bodies would feel similarly energized.

Around his neck, the pendant would grow warm and slightly heavier. Not enough to draw undue attention, but enough that Ronin would be immediately reminded of its presence and what the goddess had promised.  The eye in the centre would grow slightly brighter while the galactic core would darken significantly.

Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Change author:

"I need you, no matter what you say." Ronin flashed the woman he regarded as a sister a playful grin. "I haven't trained with you at sunset for a long time, Ashe. You'll be getting pudgy without me to keep you on your toes." He winked, before letting his humour fade back to hear her opinions on the Spire and how they would go about ridding the world of the creature they found there. He nodded in agreement about the bombs, frowning. "Maybe, then, we could create something like a land mine? Something the creature would need to step on to trigger? That way we could make sure to lure it far enough away."

Regardless of what they decided, it felt good just to discuss it in earnest. And when Ashe's blue eyes met his own and Safrin's name fell from his lips, Ronin felt - as he had felt every time he mentioned the goddess - that crackle of rejuvination, that will to complete the task set out before him, however dangerous it might be. The pendant sat heavy and solid against his chest and Ronin smiled, determined. "Yes," Ronin said, "I do. I do trust her. Her price was simply for me to tell others about her existence. In a place like this it's not surprising that things like gods have been forgotten, no?"

Shrugging, Ronin touched a hand briefly to the pendant before he let himself focus once more on Ashetta's findings while they had fought the monster. He frowned, drumming fingers along the table. "Inorganic... that might be worth bringing up. I'll arrange something, see if we can pool our knowledge together."

RONIN