between the shadow and the soul
quest turn in
Maea Valair
Hollowed Grounds Ambassador / Loreseeker

Age: 29 | Height: 156 cm / 5'1 ft | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 4 - Strg: 22 - Dext: 22 - Endr: 25 - Luck: 21 - Int:
Played by: Chan Offline
Change author:
MP: 1917
MAEA
Still giddy from the chase through the woods, breath not yet settled, Maea arrived at the shrine. Her eyes were bright with excitement from the game with the Cat Sith, and color had flushed over her cheeks. Despite the warmth of the night, she wore the rags once gifted her wrapped about her shoulders, so used to having them now that she didn't even think twice before adding them whenever she dressed.

Oh, she had been prepared for a battle tonight! Geared up with a bow and quiver slung over her shoulders, Sunjata's gifted daggers hanging from the belt... They had seen no use at all though. Thankfully. Delphia's methods had proven effective beyond a doubt, and the Cat Sith was gone from Ludo's woods. Her task was completed, and Maea felt rather giddy with the success as she stopped before the shrine. Light from the ever burning candles bobbed and swayed in the draft of her arrival, and this evening she found the glow cheerful and heartening.

"Ludo! I've come back to you, as you asked," she said aloud, a wide smile on her face. The success of the mission it already knew of, as Ludo had been the one to scare off the menace in the end. With a spooky 'boo'.

------

Turning in the quest: Toothless bites, mouthless mutters, wingless fluttters
Nothing lasts forever, I thought you should know
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
♦ Violence, magic, thievery is permitted with Maea at all times. DM me if you have any ideas ♦
Spooky Rags

Age: 7 | Height: | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: - Strg: - Dext: - Endr: - Luck: - Int:
Played by: Admin Offline
Change author:
MP: 0

The woods quivered with light and cheer, and not only from the candles - Ludo arrived surrounded still by a halo of will-o-wisps, the tiny creatures clinging to its rags, nestled in the fabric. "You did, sweetling. A fine job, if I do say so myself," it said, mask bright and smiling (or at least it would appear to be). It drifted down before Maea, somehow evading the small flames of the candles.

"You see now, that even the most dangerous creatures can take the form of something pleasant." For the Cat Sith was certainly something to be feared, especially for any soul in sight.

LUDO
Braved the forests, braved the stone
Braved the icy winds and fire
Braved and beat them on my own

Maea Valair

Age: 29 | Height: 156 cm / 5'1 ft | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
MAEA
"Thank you!" If possible, the girl brightened even further when Ludo appeared. Her smile was fond as she gazed up at the masked god, affectionate. Maea didn't know why the will-o-wisps accompanied it this time, but she certainly did not mind. They lent a certain flair to the dark rags, and their bobbing lights were adorable. Like candle flames gone astray.

"Yes, I understand. I was worried at first, thought it would have to be driven off with violence... but really, I found the Cat Sith beautiful. And I had fun playing with it, and Delphia. And your finishing touch was excellent!"

The comment brought to mind some of her friends too. Sometimes misunderstood, sometimes rightly criticized for their mistakes... But also people with good in them. So much kindness and love. Maea could certainly relate.
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
♦ Violence, magic, thievery is permitted with Maea at all times. DM me if you have any ideas ♦
Spooky Rags

Age: 7 | Height: | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:

"Beautiful does not mean it would not have become violent, had your distractions not been effective," Ludo noted softly, not quite as enthralled by the task as the pale woman had been, but her enjoyment was palpable. The will-o-wisps danced about it, as if relishing in the sound of her cheer, and one of them even broke away from the group to bob down and flutter about Maea. The mask tilted, curious.

"It appears this one likes you," Ludo said. "The will-o-wisps are sometimes caught by the Cat Sith, mistaken for souls. You must have appeared quite heroic to this one."

LUDO

Maea Valair

Change author:
MAEA
It was a gentle admonishment, but it did make the girl sober a little. Perhaps she had begun to underestimate the creature, once no immediate threat could be seen. It was a valuable reminder, for sure. Maea nodded.

But then, one of the will-o-wisps came bobbing towards her, and she held her hands out towards it, offering them to perch on if it wished. Ludo's comment made her blush. Maea had not felt very heroic... "I'm glad I could help," she said, to both the masked god and the wisp that had joined her. Fascinated by the creature, she tried to get a better look at it. She had never seen one so up close before.

"I don't know much about will-o-wisps," she admitted to Ludo. "Just that they have a reputation for leading peoole astray. Could you tell me more? What do they eat?"
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
Spooky Rags

Change author:

Ludo tilted its head at her; it was no Frey or Rae, and it knew little about how to keep will-o-wisps alive or what they ate. "They are creatures of nature. I do not believe they have mouths. Perhaps they feast on sunlight or moonlight, or morning dew." It laughed softly, the other wisps still bobbing about it as if suspicious of their comerade's sudden trust in Maea.

"This one seems to wish to stay with you. Perhaps in time you will learn for yourself what makes it go." Indeed, Maea would feel it, as that strange companion connection was forged, sparking through her mind and bonding her to the wisp. It wiggled about in her hands, seemingly happy to join her.

Maea has received a regular companion! Let me know what you would like to name it and I will add it to your profile.
LUDO

Maea Valair

Change author:
MAEA
Pale eyes widened at the contact with her mind. At the images, the emotions that coursed through her, not of her own. The wisp floated up and bobbed over her fingertips; Maea blinked and was a little dizzied as an image of herself was brought to her, only impossibly large and set from a strange angle. Ridiculously rose-tinged and followed with an emotion like deep admiration.

"Oh, please, I'm nothing like that," she told it, blushing furiously. Happy, bewildered, she looked up at Ludo, then down at the wisp. Her companion? "But if you want to stay... then you can. As long as you like." And the feeling she received this time was... happy. Just a different shade than her own. A little selfish, a little arbitrary, determined to think what it wanted, whether it was true or not. "I think I'll call you... Shii."

There would be a lot of learning from now on, she suspected. Not only about what made will-o-wisps happy, but everything that came from having another soul to care for beyond her own. Being reckless... suddenly had even more implications than before.

"Thank you, for giving me this task," she said to Ludo as she looked up again. "It's everything I was hoping for." Maea bit her lip though, hesitated a bit. Then had to ask, because it had been on her mind for a long time now. "Ludo... how come you've been so kind to me? I talked to Remi, and he told me about some of the things you put him through. Why... treat me so differently?"

------

Maea named her companion Shii!
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
Spooky Rags

Change author:

Ludo merely watched as the will-o-wisp made Maea's acquaintance; its companions seemed to disperse now, leaving the deity to bob and weave away into the trees again. Something the ragged god would be doing as well soon enough. Tilting its mask at Maea's question, if rags could shrug it would appear to do so.

"Different souls require different handling," it said simply. "The one you speak of is made for a different future, and the path is carved accordingly. You make your destiny yourself, sweetling."

LUDO

Maea Valair

Change author:
MAEA
Maea took a moment to consider this. Other questions came to mind; what kind of future that awaited Remi, if his handling required such brutal treatment. Whether she was headed for some kinder end, or whether her own trials had yet to even begin...

But it was comforting to think that she was the master of her own fate in the end. Made it easier to accept simple kindness for what it was, without reading too much into it.

"I'm not sure I entirely understand, but I am very grateful for it. And for knowing that there probably is a reason, if that kindness should stop coming." She smiled at the masked god, a little wryly. Personally she was very fond of Ludo. Would willingly admit to loving it, in her own way. But it seemed a bit... audacious, to say it aloud.

"If ever there is anything I can do for you, I'm more than willing. I'd always be grateful for a chance to make myself useful." Ever feeling the need to prove her worth, both to herself and others.
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
Spooky Rags

Change author:

Ludo said nothing to her assumption that, should it decide to withdraw its kindness, it would be for a reason. Better not to know the true and fickle nature of the gods who drifted across the realm. "For now, it is more than enough for you to learn to enjoy yourself. And your new companion." Ludo bobbed its masked head, swirling up and into the branches.

"Should you require anything, come and see me again," it advised, foreshadowing perhaps (because what's time, really?) the road that Maea would soon walk down.

~FIN

LUDO