Flora Incognita [Isla]
Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Provost of the Loreseekers Soul Shepherd
Portal Guardian
Age: 36 | Height: 6'2" | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 12 - Strg: 30 - Dext: 45 - Endr: 38 - Luck: 42 - Int:
ISUMA - Mythical - Griffin (Venomous)
Played by: Cirago Offline
Change author:
MP: 10170
{{A request for any who wish to join this thread: I often have trouble loading/reading posting tables, so I would appreciate if people don’t use them here. Thank you!}}

The book lay open on Jigano’s lap, filled with promises of new lore and answers to questions he’d only just begun to ask. It was, however, merely a tease, offering hints of knowledge while keeping the juiciest tidbits locked away behind a script he was still trying to puzzle out. The bard sat atop a low, flat rock, legs crossed as he frowned intently at a patch of ground a mere foot away. His pale coloring and white hair was almost shockingly out of place among the brightly changing colors of the leaves in the glade, like a breath of early winter in the midst of an unseasonably warm day. It wasn’t that he was trying to stand out, but he was certainly making no effort to hide his presence as his frown turned to a scowl and he leaned forward at last to tentatively poke one slender finger into the fire.

It was a very small fire, and unlike Jigano it did somewhat blend with its surroundings. Orange and yellow in the shape of a cup – or upward curling petals - flickered with a faint glow, almost lost in the sunlight that filtered through the growing gaps in the canopy above. It sat atop a black stem with large, broad black leaves at the base, veined in a shiny crimson that looked almost like liquid as the shade and sundrops shifted over it in the light breeze. Three of the strange plants, roughly the size of irises, grew in proximity to each other in a perfect triangle, and nowhere else in sight within the glade.

Much to his surprise, the fire was comfortably warm but not hot enough to singe or hurt. His frown turned to delighted curiosity and he pulled his hand back to fumble a pencil from his side, pulling out a small, roughly bound traveler’s journal and jotting a few notes, glancing first from book to plant and then back to his own writing with such intensity that he appeared oblivious to the world around him.
Isla Lockwood
the Remedy
Medic

Age: 32 | Height: 5'7 | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 4 - Strg: 26 - Dext: 26 - Endr: 28 - Luck: 26 - Int:
Played by: Honey Offline
Change author:
MP: 3061
Jigano was not the only one lost to the world. Isla came to the Glade often these days, for her explorations and her experiences in treating those who arrived at the infirmary meant that she needed to know how to resupply the meagre stocks. Herbs, she already knew, were an excellent contributor to those stocks, and the Glade had them in abundance. No, it did not have the snow-moss she used as a compress (she was considering cultivating it in and around the infirmary) or the tangleweed she battled for its numbing properties.

It did have some curious seed pods, though, that worked as a fine sedative when ground into a powder. She had entered the blaze of orange and yellow intent upon finding them, her fair hair drawn back into a loose braid, her eyes pinned onto the ground. Occasionally she would crouch, looking here and there for the pods, until all at once a lick of not colour caught her eye. Gazing up, the sight of the man with such a snowy countenance made her jump a bit in surprise, and she straightened up with a nervous laugh.

"I'm so sorry," she said. "I didn't realise you were here. I apologise, if I'm disturbing you. I... what are those, if I might ask?" Isla indicated to the odd, fiery plants he was studying.
Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Age: 36 | Height: 6'2" | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
A voice broke his concentration and the bard jerked sharply, both books falling from his lap as his fingers reflexively flickered in a complicated sign— then promptly stilled as the older power failed to rise to his call yet again. It didn’t help that the ‘intruder’ in question had made no hostile move whatsoever, giving him only courtesy that left Jigano feeling unusually embarrassed and caught out. He cleared his throat in an attempt to regain his dignity, giving the newcomer as gracious a nod as he could muster in welcome.

”Ah, no, not at all. This place is open to all, as far as I’ve been able to determine. And you aren’t disturbing me, or at least it’s my own fault for not paying better attention.” He grimaced ruefully, shoulders lifting in a shrug. He bent to retrieve his dropped books and the pencil, pale hair falling forward and nearly brushing the fiery blossom of one of the plants before he sat up again, straightening his clothing and offering the woman a proper smile. He flipped one of the books back to the page he’d been poring over, setting it down beside him on the rock and gesturing to it in invitation for her to come closer.

”As to your question, well, I’ve been trying to determine that as well. I came across these this morning, though I would swear they weren’t here a few days ago when I first came through here. I borrowed this herbal from the Atheneum but…” He shrugged again, tapping the illustration on the page and the oddly curling markings of text around it. ”I think I’ve deciphered ‘earth’ and ‘fire’ and a few other words, but I haven’t quite puzzled out the whole script yet so the proper name eludes me, much less a proper translation.” His smile turned a touch wry as he glanced back at the flowers, as exasperated by his inability to learn more about them from the book as he was delighted by the challenge. ”For now, I’ve just been calling them “volcanettes” because, well, the colors and appearance and…” he trailed off sheepishly as his tongue ran away from him. Self-conscious at his babbling he cleared his throat again and folded his hands firmly together to stop their flustered movements. ”I don’t suppose you’ve seen anything similar before?”
Isla Lockwood
the Remedy
Medic

Age: 32 | Height: 5'7 | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
"Oh--" Isla wasn't able to finish her second apology as she seemed to startle the stranger into dropping his books, and she took a step forward to help but he was already starting to retrieve them. The flicker of movement in his fingers was something she couldn't help but notice, but it was neither her place nor the right sort of time to ask questions about it - besides, it was already forgotten as he spoke.

Her smile was still a touch apologetic even as he flustered and blamed his lack of attention, Isla shaking her head. "In fairness I've not seen much around this place that seems hostile. There ought to be somewhere you can daydream, no?" Even if this place didn't seem kind to daydreamers, that didn't mean they shouldn't be able to think and study in peace.

Isla inhaled sharply as it looked, for a second, like he might set himself alight, but her warning was thankfully for naught and she let the words ride out in silence on a sigh instead. Stepping closer, her attention returned to the beautiful and fiery flowers. Flowers that had apparently popped up as if by magic (and that wouldn't surprise her either).

She glanced to the book as he referenced it, tilting her head and letting her eyebrows knot together in an interested frown. "That's very impressive, that you've even deciphered some of it already..." A scholar? The world, in her opinion, was severely lacking in those. Nonetheless, she grinned at hearing his nickname for the blooms. "Volcanettes?" She tried the word on her tongue. "I like it. Speaking of names, though, mine is Isla. It's nice to meet you, but I'm afraid this is the first time I've ever seen anything like this here..."
Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Change author:
”It is, at least, the most peaceful place I’ve found so far,” he acknowledged with a nod and a slight smile as she stepped closer to examine the flowers with him. ”Though I’ve barely begun to properly explore things within the… barrier.” He chose the word with delicacy, uncertain whether naming the thing would bring annoyance or ambivalence. He’d experienced both so far, with natives tending to be unbothered by the world as they’d always known it and outlanders like himself finding the limit of their new home frustrating to varying degrees.

”And I thank you for the compliments, Isla, though I wish I had more to offer by way of explanation.” He sighed, tapping a particular section of the text with an annoyed fingernail. ”Usually I’m quite good with languages, though this one is… tricky. I suspect a lack of vowels is throwing me off, or else some consonants are combined in a way that is difficult to parse.” He gave another rueful smile and then cleared his throat apologetically. ”But where are my manners? I’m Jigano, and it’s a pleasure to meet you as well. May I ask what brings you out this way, aside from enjoying the beautiful day?”
Isla Lockwood
the Remedy
Medic

Change author:
Luckily, Jigano's choice of words brought neither annoyance nor ambivalence, but rather a sad sort of acceptance from Isla. She nodded to him in agreement. "There's enough to explore, but I haven't been here long and I believe I've already seen most of everything... perhaps, though, we can find a way out through that barrier." He didn't seem a Natural, not like Rory, so she assumed he wouldn't be utterly shocked by the idea that she thought there was a way through it.

"Explanation will come in time, no doubt. The best challenges are those which take a while to solve, no?" She didn't seem to mind his overexplanation regarding the language he was attempting to decipher - she only wished she was any good at languages herself to be able to help. Research Isla could do, but she only knew her mother tongue.

"Jigano," she repeated, nodding to him politely and committing the name to memory. "Hm? Oh, I'm a medic at the infirmary. I'm looking for a certain seed pod - when ground to a powder and mixed with water, it makes quite the effective sedative."
Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Change author:
”Yes,” the pale man agreed ruefully. ”I’m still poking my long nose about, but I spent my first week discovering just how small this little world is. I’m hoping there might be more clues hidden in the Atheneum’s histories but…” He gave a one-shouldered shrug. ”Who knows what language they’ll be in, or if anyone here now can read it?” It was a rhetorical question and he shook his head to forestall any need to answer. ”But I’m getting ahead of myself. As you say, the challenge of the barrier, however satisfying, won’t be solved by the likes of me after so many others have tried and failed so far.” He gave an oddly self-deprecating shake of his head – odd, in that he didn’t usually show such pessimism to someone he’d only just met. He was still a little flustered from getting caught by surprise, and his public face was slipping dangerously.

He deliberately brought his smile back, offering a deep nod for Isla’s calling, followed by a quirk of one elegant brow at the description of the seed pod. ”An honor as well as a pleasure then, Isla. I have great respect for professional healers, and I would be happy to help you for a bit. One never knows when the services of a medic might be needed, and I’d prefer you had all the medicines on hand in case I wind up seeking out the infirmary some day.” He carefully closed the herbal on a scrap of cloth that was serving as a bookmark, then offered his pencil and notebook to the woman. ”If you can give me a description of the seed pod or sketch its shape I can join the search. The volcanettes seem harmless so far, and I can continue with them later… though now you have me wondering if they have any sort of medicinal properties that could assist you as well?”
Isla Lockwood
the Remedy
Medic

Change author:
"You never know," Isla murmured with a wry smile at his self-deprecation. "Perhaps you won't do it alone, but your skill at deciphering even a small portion of what is in those books could prove to be instrumental." She shrugged her shoulders, though it was small talk at best - she could hardly say what he would or wouldn't be capable of, having just met him.

His smile, deliberate or no, was contagious, and she flashed him one in return especially at his offer of help. "Thank you very much. I'll not say no to an extra pair of eyes or hands," she admitted, smirking at the Glade floor. "The pods are brown and the seeds are an odd red colour, so as you can imagine they are a challenge to find in this season. I can sketch it for you, if you like."

Isla would do just that if Jigano wanted her to, sketching a rough outline of a long oval pod attached to a spindly stem, not unlike a snowdrop. If not, however, hopefully her verbal description would be enough. As for the volcanettes...

"If nothing more, planting a few might prove very useful for light and heat... I wonder if we might transplant one within the Sanctuary to cultivate more?"
Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Change author:
Isla’s optimism caught Jigano enough by surprise that for a moment he only blinked at her, silent until his training took over. ”Well… perhaps I will get lucky and provide some small assistance, at that,” he found himself murmuring, pleased in spite of himself. ”I have no wish to remain in such a… limited… world, however fascinating it’s proven itself to be in my short time here.” His ambitions might have withered since his relatively recent youth, but it didn’t take a healer to see how life within the strange barrier struggled.

”Of course something so useful would be so well camouflaged,” he chuckled ruefully, handing over the notepad so he could gain an understanding of their prey’s shape as well as its coloration. He tilted his head as she drew, nodding thoughtfully to himself as he memorized the basic shape. He took the little book back when she was done and tucked it into one of his belt pouches.

”Planting might prove difficult,” he noted wryly, rising to his feet with subtle grace. He grinned down at the shorter woman, offering a shallow bow before stepping a little ways away to begin searching the ground near his feet. ”So far I haven’t been able to see anything resembling seeds. Though perhaps they grow from bulbs?” It was an interesting idea, and one he made mental note of to return to later. ”I’d only just begun to poke at one when you arrived, but I’d be happy to see if we can dig one up later. The Sanctuary…that would be the place with the bar, yes? And the library?” He tilted his head to the side, stooping swiftly to run his fingers over a small plant, then grimaced and stood again empty-handed, wiping his fingers on his pants’ leg. ”An excellent idea. I’ve been trying to find a home in that region myself. Is that where your infirmary is as well?”
Isla Lockwood
the Remedy
Medic

Change author:
"Hear, hear," Isla agreed with him. Whilst it was good, in some ways, to have been given time within the small area they were granted to get her bearings, the ruins were woefully undersupplied to say the least. Isla missed her tools, much as Remi had tried to replicate them. It seemed like every day she recalled something she was missing, or something so basic that she'd taken it for granted. But now was not the time to think of that, so she smiled back at Jigano and got to work. "I wish you all the luck, in that case. The more heads thinking about this, the better, right?"

Offering an automatic curtsey in response to his bow (nobility had been bred into her and try as she might Isla often found herself acting it out even now that it was pointless), she moved around the volcanettes to start searching the area opposite where her new companion had been sitting. "Bulbs might well be correct," she agreed. "I imagine any seeds that come from that sort of flower will risk setting the undergrowth alight... Still, I am more than happy to dig one up with you and see if we can get it closer to the Domiciles."

She nodded in response to his questions, leaning briefly before also straightening back up empty handed. "Yes - the bar, the library and my infirmary," she murmured. "The infirmary is inside the large building people have taken to calling the Temple, the same as the bar. Hopefully you never need use of it. A home, though... you'll definitely need one of those."
Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Change author:
”Right!” Jigano couldn’t help but agree with a rueful grin, letting himself get caught up in Isla’s optimism. It was a strange experience, having someone encouraging and inspiring him, but even coming from a stranger it was comforting. He had lost much in his transition to this world, but so far he had been lucky to meet a number of pleasant – even downright friendly! – individuals, and that made things much more bearable. Indeed, his attempts to avoid making enemies and cultivate allies was hardly even calculated, the courtesy and charm flowing naturally and returned in kind. It was a good thing he enjoyed meeting new people, he thought wryly to himself, since he had a whole world of new people to meet – however small that world currently was.

And the newest person, Isla, had her own grace as she curtsied back, earning a broadening of Jigano’s grin in appreciation. Well-bred, then, as well as holding an important and useful profession. An ally worth befriending, indeed! As they started their search he hummed thoughtfully at her supposition, amused and a little horrified at the thought of flaming seeds being dropped on the dry autumn leaves scattered over the grassy undergrowth of the glade. ”Perhaps they would… but I admit, I had just poked a blossom before you arrived and it wasn’t really hot at all. Comfortable warm, but far less intense than even a candle’s flame. The light and a bit of warmth without the searing heat – at least to my finger. Perhaps we can experiment after gathering your seed pods, and see if there’s anything else it will catch alight, to determine whether it’s safe to move.” Magic was a fickle thing, after all, and the fiery flowers certainly seemed to have some small magic about them, even if Jigano’s sense for such had vanished along with his own mystic talents.

”I’d hate to transplant them near your infirmary, only to find that they burn stone or blood or some other strange thing!” His grim earnestness faded a bit, smile returning a little lopsided as he thought of another of his new friends. ”And I shudder to think of the words that would come out of the young bartender’s mouth if they did anything that threatened the alcohol in the bar! My apologies, though, on not paying my respects sooner. I hadn’t realized the other area of the temple was a hall of healing. I’m learning things in such haphazard dribs and drabs…” He turned a graceful shrug into a dip to examine another plant, staring at it intently before glancing up to get Isla’s attention. ”Is this what you were looking for?” It was brown with a bit of red peeking out, and close to the shape she had sketched though he wasn’t sure if the plant’s leaves were quite right.
Isla Lockwood
the Remedy
Medic

Change author:
"You poked one?" Isla couldn't help but grin across at Jigano for that - it was as good a scientific method as any, she supposed, and if it had been hot he would definitely have noticed right away. Still, comfortably warm and a source of light...? That could be an infitely useful bloom, indoors and outdoors, if they could move it safely and cultivate more. "That sounds like a very good idea," she agreed at the idea of experimenting further with them, the healer glancing across at the volcanettes briefly before returning to her search. Seed pods first, then fun.

"If they burned stone I would be very impressed, but that is even more a reason to check them over before we decide to kidnap them." She laughed warmly, tilting her head as he spoke of the Rathskeller and its bartenders. She hadn't actually had reason to go there, in fact - not yet, anyway - but as a medic that was hardly surprising. "No apology needed, Jigano. I am more glad that you know where it is in case you have need of it. The infirmary and the bar both."

Grinning, she turned her attention to the ground as he looked like he had found something, Isla stepping over to join him. Crouching down, her eyes lit up and she nodded. "Yes, those are the pods I need. Thank you - you must have eagle eyes."
Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Change author:
”It was a very cautious and well-thought out poking,” he defended himself with a grin. ”They don’t really give off much warmth until you’re touching them, and I still need to see how much light they give off at night, but perhaps they have other useful properties… so long as they aren’t negated with anything too dangerous.” Better safe than sorry where magic was involved, even if it seemed relatively benign at first. The fact that the natives hadn’t already cultivated them closer to the settlement seemed to indicate some sort of issue with the plants, but perhaps if they were rare the effort hadn’t been worth it for a bit of glow.

Isla had a lovely laugh, Jigano noted absently as he searched the ground at his feet. ”The bar to numb the pain of whatever wounds I acquire, and the infirmary to get them tended to,” he agreed wryly. ”Though I hope I won’t be acquiring any injuries anytime soon! I’d far rather meet the infirmary staff when I can offer assistance, rather than being the one assisted!” So far the world had seemed fairly peaceful, aside from the excitement with the animated gourds. Even that was more unsettling than truly dangerous, but he knew there were far worse things than boredom to deal with. With the Atheneum and so many other outlanders to meet and learn stories from, even that wasn’t currently a threat, though for the sake of the natives and animals trapped in the barrier the bard hoped they could find a way through it eventually.

For now, though, he’d settle for helping one person with a task far more attainable. He hadn’t expected to find the right plant so soon, but he grinned with pleasure and a little pride at her compliments. Standing and brushing off his knees he left the gathering of the seedpods to the professional so he didn’t damage them on accident. ”Hardly anything so noble,” he demurred with a wry lift to his lips. A fox’s eyes, perhaps, but nothing so grand as an eagle! ”But now that I know what to look for, how many more do you need? I suppose I don’t even know how busy the infirmary usually is, or what sorts of injuries you normally see here…?” Who better to let him know of the local dangers, after all, than one who spent her days tending their aftermath!
Isla Lockwood
the Remedy
Medic

Change author:
"Either way, it certainly looks as though you have come across a rare find in these blooms. Whatever their properties, even if they are just to look pretty, they seem worth it." Isla glanced up from her search to eye the volcanettes once more, a small smile on her face as she watched them glow and flicker. She couldn't help but let her smile grow into a grin at his remarks about the Rathskeller and the infirmary; it was an odd decision, she had noted, to have both in one place, but then that was how they had found it.

Isla nodded in agreement. "Yes, if you could keep yourself uninjured for as long as possible, that would be wonderful. I believe mine is one of the only professions where we are glad if we don't see you again." As she spoke she removed a small cloth from her pocket as well as a pair of clippers, leaning in to cut away the pods and fold them into the fabric where they would be safe until she got them back to the infirmary.

"Ordinarily about three or four pods will get a good yield, and they tend to cluster so we may find more nearby." She smiled up at Jigano, rising to her feet as well and scanning the ground. True enough, another few pods could be seen a few metres away, Isla nodding to them and making her way over to collect them. "I try not to take too many, because otherwise more may not grow," she explained. Her expression grew a touch more solemn as talk turned to injuries, Isla collecting the rest of the pods and slipping them safe into her pockets.

"I can fix a sprain in the morning and be sewing someone's guts back in by the afternoon," she explained, as if to describe how varied and... er, 'exciting' the job could be. "That doesn't happen too often, though, but with the Spire and that monster out there... who knows."