[SE] hurricane bones
Melita Najya
the Honeybee

Age: 26 | Height: 5'6" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 10 - Strg: 57 - Dext: 58 - Endr: 58 - Luck: 57 - Int: 1
FANGORN - Mythical - Vampire Gourd SILA - Mythical - Dragon (Fire Breath)
Played by: Heather Offline
Change author:
MP: 9824
to be lit up from within
vein by vein
The girl stared beyond, chin lifted into the sea breeze, into the ocean air, into the wild, wicked wind, and breathed. For a time she closed her eyes too, uncaring if the islands switched their places, if they bombarded and slid into new roles; sitting along the tawny shoal, the shifting dunes, at peace. Her hands were otherwise occupied and full, but for the moment she enjoyed the rough candor of the rolling waves and the potential tempest harbored within; knew the power, the precision, unmatched in its splendor, along the basking current, the ebb and flow. Fangorn hovered beside her knee, rolling in the sand, and when she finally opened her gilded gaze once more, the sun slid upon her face, and it felt like pieces, like portions, of home.

While she listened to the surf and swell, she lowered her bounty to the ground, shifting through the fronds, the sticks, the lengthened portions of boughs she’d sprung apart in woodlands. There were other things amiss too: twine, string, a series of berries she thought to smash in her palm and use as brightened hues, lantern fortifications.

But who to honor this year? She made lanterns for her mother, for her sister, in the last turn of the earth, and they hung still on the VlamVoed’s wall, tiny memorials with their flickering light, with their beams of other worlds and lost, regarded souls. The girl presumed many would be honoring those lost during LongNight, or the recent debacle and swift, sudden demise of Adam and Peter, if rumors were to be believed. But there were also the little companions to think about, innocent and without anything but the command of their bondeds.

So, perhaps, to Coffee and to Apricum. Shouldn’t they be remembered, just as much?

The youth bowed her head and began to work, fighting naught, hands swift and keen.
to be the sun
MELITA
Blacksmith

Age: 29 | Height: 5'6 | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Greatwood
Level: 5 - Strg: 20 - Dext: 19 - Endr: 21 - Luck: 22 - Int:
Played by: Oakley Offline
Change author:
MP: 700
OLIVER
As his sandled feet hit the soft ground beneath him as the light clothes he wore were ruffled by the movement. Oliver wore a loose, ivory colored tank top with dark brown, loose shorts. The entire outfit allowed for ready movement, aside from the bag strung over his shoulder. So far, it was light, as he was only carrying the small amount of materials he had picked up so far. Some cloth, some twine, some rocks and shells, a few blue colored berries to hopefully be used for pigments, and a few other things of this nature. His eyes wandered around him, searching the ground for anything that caught his eye or for anything else that may be interesting. There was so much to learn about Torchline and he had seen so little, something new could easily appear behind the next bend....

And then he saw something- or someone. Someone extremely familiar thanks to their brightly colored hair. Pausing, Oliver looked forward at the girl, thinking on whether he should approach her or not. Realizing it was probably too late, he continued onward, heading towards Melita. She was deeply interested in something. "Hello Melita...would you mind if I joined you?"
i saw that my life
was a vast glowing empty page
and i could do anything i wanted
Melita Najya
the Honeybee

Age: 26 | Height: 5'6" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
to be lit up from within
vein by vein
For once, her movements were quiet in the rise and fall of the tide, in the hushed endeavors of sand and sun. The air was crisper, a chill rattling off the coast, signs of seasons fading into decay, but the notions didn’t maim, tear, or rip at her; mostly a resigned notion, as her hands worked, as some mode of framework and foundation for the lantern had been established. Previous years of watching and working beneath designated tutors, instructors, like Amalia, like Jigano, had made her ease into the memory, almost inherent, like the way she swung her staff, or the methods she instilled in pulling a bowstring.

Fangorn, resting amidst her knee and the shoal, alerted her to another approaching – a feral growl, a tenacious hiss, before the figure advanced further up the beach. She raised her head instantly, wondering if a threat was deigning to appear, if her weapons were necessary, if she’d have to pull something out of dunes and strive forward, a menacing, bewitching entanglement of vitriol –

Then she realized it was just Oliver, and settled, snorting, laughing ridiculously to herself, a puff of wild wind floating from her sanction. When he eventually came near, she’d already waved. “Oh, no. Go ahead. I’m just making lanterns for the Festival of Lights.” Perhaps it would be better to have some company, instead of immersing herself deeper into the trenches, continuing to glide along the surface, not bogged down in the currents, in the fathoms.
to be the sun
MELITA
Blacksmith

Age: 29 | Height: 5'6 | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Greatwood
Change author:
OLIVER
The gourd started to flip out, causing Oliver to pause for a moment. That's right, Melita had a gourd that absolutely hated his guts and enjoyed torturing him. Oliver in turn offered Fangorn a wave, hoping to show a sign of peace. All he wanted was to say hello and maybe spend time with Melita, no offensive comments or looks would be given to the gourd as he had learned a lot since he last saw the creature. Already, Oliver felt as though he were far more accepting and respectful of the more.... unique things.

Offering the red-head a smile, Oliver walked the rest of the distance. Taking a seat next to her, he once more offered a wave to the gourd before turning to face his humanoid companion. "Could you show me how to make one? I.... I think I'd like to learn how... and if you could tell me more about them too that'd be great." He wasn't entirely sure what the lanterns were for, but he had heard that lanterns were used to hold souls and enable them to go to Mort easier... was that what these lanterns were for?
i saw that my life
Melita Najya
the Honeybee

Change author:
to be lit up from within
vein by vein
Fangorn hadn’t forgotten about the inflicted torture and intimidation upon Oliver. Truth be told, his lot, despite this being their great, grand season, didn’t overwhelm or spike fear in the hearts of men very often. So he angled himself in between the pair, squeezing in tightly towards Melita’s knee, snarling in Oliver’s direction, hoping to inspire, instigate, some trivial reaction, besides the wave, or peace-keeping gesture.

Melita patted him on the head and sighed, shaking her own gently, the curls softly bounding in ringlets and rivulets, half-taken on the breeze, crimson in the air. On the other’s question, she maneuvered her pile of sticks, starting showing the foundational work, fingers fast, sure, and certain. “Here’s how I made mine last year,” and she continued to demonstrate, unfolding a second lantern to follow her first; neither done, but the materials and rendering complete for the inner workings. She slowed down significantly at each step, hoping Oliver would see how and where to wrap twine or string, how to ensure a quality structure so nothing fell apart when the time came. “We use these for the Festival, to honor those we’ve lost. I made one for my mother and sister before.” They now hung on the bar wall, memorials and memories, recollections in their embers, never to cease. “During the gathering, we hang them. Ludo comes, and eventually, one individual is chosen to see their loved ones again.” She’d never been selected, but had only been there for two cycles and turns – and she wasn’t sure what she’d even do, if it was to ever happen.

Her hands brought over more materials, to be shared and divided amongst them. Then she went back to her two, tilting her head, pondering which rocks, stones, and other portions would be best for them. “I’m making some for Adam and Peter’s companions. I figured a lot of people would be doing something for them, but maybe not the dragon or the luxere.” The girl shrugged, fingers already busy again, something to occupy her mind away from the heavy shambles of grief and lost. It was a time to revisit all of those glory days, but also the burden of sorrow, of melancholy, of how they continued to survive where others had not. Her quietly sauntered along the sands, eyes not directly pinpointed upon him, but along her craftmanship. “Who are you thinking of making one for?”
to be the sun
MELITA
Blacksmith

Change author:
OLIVER
Oliver looked far less scared than before, but he was still a tad bit spooked. His eyes widened and eyebrows raised visibly, but other than his back straightening up and leaning away ever so slightly, he didn't really show as much fear as before. Honestly, he had seen far worse things lately and had felt true pain, so a tiny little pumpkin friend was nothing.

Turning his attention to Melita, Oliver watched and listened with intense curiosity, his attention never once drifting towards the gourd. With the materials in hand, he started to work, meticulously trying to follow her instructions to a T. His head would tilt occasionally and his eyes would squint, but he'd continue on even if he were confused or a tad bit lost, trying his best to replicate the lantern to the best of his abilities. It wouldn't be nearly as spectacular as hers, but it would hopefully serve its purpose... that is, if he was able to rightfully fulfill said purpose.

His eyes drifted away ever so slightly as he thought over things. Eventually, it was his turn to speak and honestly? He wasn't sure what to say. "I'm.... I wasn't super close to anyone who has died... but would it be okay if I made one for Aoife?" Certainly, someone else already had made one for her, but it only seemed fitting. "If not... then I can make one for Adam... I only met both of them once and... I don't think I was close enough to deserve that moment to see them again, but I do think they also deserve to be properly remembered.... is that okay?" Melita was an expert on Ludo so hopefully she would be able to help him.
i saw that my life
Melita Najya
the Honeybee

Change author:
to be lit up from within
vein by vein
Fangorn took what he could get; eerie eyes watching as Oliver’s widened, leaning away – purposefully bounding closer, inching, crawling, into the man’s space. If he felt Melita’s slight warning through their bond, the little gourd showed none of the signs, angling himself so it appeared as if he might be hovering somewhere near Oliver’s knee.

The youth shook her head and arched her brow at her companion, but her focus was on other things. Hands moved and maneuvered lightly, dexterously, so more than the frame began to appear, taking tiny sticks and placing them alongside the outer walls, wooden contraptions and features for little Coffee. Maybe during the festival she could have it burn, as if it were rendered from the dragon’s fire, considering it with a tilt of her cranium, before her eyes lifted back to Oliver at his inquiry. She didn’t render anything to his speech at first, merely watching as he placed his materials together too, and they were fine enough. Substantial. Capable of merit amongst the gathering of lights and memories. “That’s okay. I don’t think anyone would mind.” Like Ronin, like Remi; she figured they’d be honored if their daughter managed to gather more than a few lanterns – a child beloved by her community. “It doesn’t have to be anyone from here either.” Could’ve been someone from his past, gone but not forgotten. “Whomever you want. There aren’t any limits.”
to be the sun
MELITA
Blacksmith

Change author:
OLIVER
The little gourd was urged on by his slightest inclination of discomfort, fantastic. This is exactly what Oliver needed in this time. Trying to glance away, Oliver had almost completely tuned out the little beast until he felt the presence and glanced over to see the thing basically fractions of an inch away from him. With a raise of an eyebrow, Oliver turned away, wondering if the beast would finally actually touch him or if it would continual to remain where it was.

What Fangorn did had little impact on the activities that Melita and him busied themselves with. His hands would meticulously work at building the structure, making sure it was strong and sound. Unfortunately, talking it out didn't really seem to help him all that much. Letting out a soft sigh, he looked down at his contraption, unable to look anyone in the eyes right now. "Remi and I aren't on the best of terms...so it may not be appropriate for me to make the lantern for Aoife... I guess I'll choose Adam. I cant remember anyone who has passed in my old life, so none of them would work." He let out a shrug. Adam deserved something nice, absolutely. "How do we signify that it's for a certain person? Is there a special prayer we have to do? Anything we have to write on the lantern."
i saw that my life
Melita Najya
the Honeybee

Change author:
to be lit up from within
vein by vein
The vampire gourd snickered, a grumbling, hissing sensation of a growl burrowing into the sand – decibels either meant to frighten Oliver further, or it resounded out of pure, wild, savage amusement. Maybe it was just the season, their time to rise and shine and irritate, or he simply enjoyed tormenting the man.

Regardless, Melita moved on. She followed through her actions with the other lantern for the luxere; the sticks meant to represent skeletal structures, empty, hollowed bones, framing it all over, working steadily while Oliver continued the conversation. She tilted her head, lips thinning into a distant line at not being on the best of terms with Remi; whom she adored, but she didn’t ask. Didn’t pry. Didn’t reach in and ponder. The alchemist hadn’t had an easy go of it along any path. He announced his proclaim for a lantern infused and flared for Adam anyway, and the girl shrugged, her head and eyes drawn back down to her manifestations. “Sometimes you can put something on the lantern that reminds you of them.” She paused, humming under her breath, an expressive tune her mother would serenade the twins with during the morning hours, while they giggled and laughed beside wildflowers. “For instance, I made something for him on the memorial wall in the bar. A little gun.” Whether or not anyone would be able to identify it as that didn’t really bother her. “You can put his name on it too. Or anything else. The prayers can come at the festival.”
to be the sun
MELITA
Blacksmith

Change author:
OLIVER
Whatever the gourd did next absolutely did nothing to insight fear into Oliver, in fact, it looked amusing more than anything. Burrowing itself into the sand just... didn't look all that scary. So much so that Oliver was able to quickly turn his head and now focus once more on Melita.

The ideas were good ones and he was already figuring out what he should draw on his lantern to properly pay respects to Adam. "Do you have something on you that I can use to decorate my lantern?" So many questions, but what else was he supposed to do. This was another new and unfamiliar thing. The only real way to learn more was to ask, seeing as not all people made it abundantly obvious. New traditions would have to be taught in order to be properly upheld. "When is this festival? And what exactly happens? Should I prepare more than just the lantern for it?" It most likely wouldn't be anything like Fiat Lux, far from it, so what exactly did the festival entail? What should he expect to see or how should he address it?
i saw that my life
Melita Najya
the Honeybee

Change author:
to be lit up from within
vein by vein
Fangorn, content in his sand bed and nest, eventually fell asleep. Melita gave a few scratches on the top of his visible head, before being drawn back into conversation and her lantern making. She tipped them both back and forth, pondering over what else to include, besides a little flame inside, and began to sketch an outline along the fringes of wood. Her eyes flickered back up to Oliver, shaking her head. “I don’t.” She glanced around, looking for the possible things scattered around the beaches and dunes. “I bet you could find something nearby though.” Maybe some fruit, berries, sticks, twigs, stones? Oliver should’ve been more than capable of figuring out those notions for himself.

The other inquiries she could answer though. “At the end of the season. We’ll all gather and put the lanterns out. I don’t think you need anything else.” She couldn’t recall off the top of her head – naught but a candle within, to light the way.
to be the sun
MELITA
Blacksmith

Change author:
OLIVER
There is a light hum of thought as Oliver contemplates his options. Melita unfortunately didn't have anything to offer, but that didn't mean he couldn't figure things out. "One second" And off he went, standing up and walking behind them momentarily. A few minutes later, he would come back with a bunch of berries in his hands. They were all darker shades of blue and though he wanted more colors, he'd have to work with it. He also had a rock within his hands as well. Clearly, the boy had an idea.

Settling back down next to Melita, he would use his magic to create a small cup. Placing the berries down, he'd begin to use the rock to smash them up and form some sort of paint. "I guess I just missed this last year, seeing as I arrived in Deepfrost." His voice was a big jagged, seeing as he was so focused on getting the berries to a working consistency. Soon, he was satisfied with his work and removed the rock. "if you want to use some, you can as well." He offered her with a faint smile before dipping his finger in and beginning to work on his lantern. For the time being, it would be hard to tell what he was working on, but he was steadily at work, a clear idea in mind.
i saw that my life
Melita Najya
the Honeybee

Change author:
to be lit up from within
vein by vein
Oliver seemed to find some resources well enough, and while he disappeared off into the midst, the youth finished off the tops of her lanterns, leaving room within the middle for the wick, covering the contortions with some moss and sticks. Upon his return, her eyes went to the berries bunched and bundled, a darker essence of blue, but would obviously be adequate in the semblance of paint and hues. “I’m all set, but thank you,” she responded first, beginning to tie and loop off an end where she’d be able to hang them amongst the hordes of others. She hoped, figured, Adam and Peter would receive a lot of lanterns; which was what they deserved. But so should the companions, who’d also sacrificed their lives.

“What a time to arrive,” she commented, a little wryly, the notions of LongNight always on the back of everyone’s mind once the leaves began to die, once the first snowflake fell, once ominous threads began to unravel again.
to be the sun
MELITA
Blacksmith

Change author:
OLIVER
With the berries finely pounded out, he could finally work on painting his lantern. He didn't mind that Melita wasn't in the mood to use his paint, he'd work alone. Soon, on his lantern, a small snake would take shape, wrapping around the complete lantern with a small forked tongue. Even though snakes couldn't really smile, he drew a small smile on the creature, showing a mischievous side. As he painted, the two continued to speak. "Oh I know. I showed up in like... the thinnest clothes possible. It was so freezing and snow was everywhere. Thank the gods someone found me." It was kind of pitiful and Oliver could at least laugh about it now.

Once he was done, he turned the lantern around to show Melita. "Do you think it's fitting? I met him when he was a snake and... boy was he happy. He was screaming 'I'm a snake' and just having the time of his life." There was a smile on his lips as he told the tale of their first interaction. It was amusing and a fond thing to think of.
i saw that my life