[se] how to rise again
open seasonal memorial!
Melita Najya
the Honeybee

Age: 26 | Height: 5'6" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 10 - Strg: 57 - Dext: 58 - Endr: 58 - Luck: 57 - Int: 1
FANGORN - Mythical - Vampire Gourd SILA - Mythical - Dragon (Fire Breath)
Played by: Heather Offline
Change author:
MP: 9824
MELITA
For once, she was quiet, and solemn. No bounding across wood floors, no stretching her long limbs down narrow hallways, no rustling and opening the door back and forth, time and time again. Now was a time for solace and contemplation, reflection and pondering – the latter the hardest for her to obtain.

From her designated space along the back of the bar, the honeybee girl lifted her eyes, staring at the assembled memorial wall. Its collection of remembrances flickered and floated beyond her, from lanterns to pictures, images left behind by souls who longed, who cherished, who devoted their thoughts to the individuals who could no longer be with them. Her gaze skittered from one to the next, remnants of last year’s LongNight harbored there, and the next one doomed to arrive in the following season, based on the chill in the air, in the turning, shifting leaves.

And now there were more to add.

Melita had gathered some materials along her desk, spreading them across the wooden surface, staring, gazing, upon things meant to represent lives lost. Would there be enough for Adam? For Peter? For the companions deceased and departed? And what would best symbolize the way they’d lived their lives? Her fingers floated over some sticks, pondering the unfamiliarity; yearning to express something – all she’d known of Adam was training with the bow, and Peter had been in the background. Fangorn grumbled from atop the veneer, pushing at a couple of feathers with his bulky frame, baring hints and notations as best he could. The rest would be up to her.
This is a gift, it comes with a price
Who is the lamb and who is the knife?
Midas is king and he holds me so tight
And turns me to gold in the sunlight

Age: 24 | Height: 5'7" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 2 - Strg: 15 - Dext: 14 - Endr: 20 - Luck: 10 - Int:
Played by: Socks Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
Quanil came over to the young woman. They'd seen her before, in their time working here, seen her hither and thither, out and about. She was unusually subdued today. And even though it wasn't their job to, they couldn't help asking, "Did you need anything, miss?"

They weren't a server; they were, more typically, a janitor at the VlamVloed, to cover their stay in one of the rooms upstairs. But to see someone who was usually so vivacious being so quiet and... dimmed... well, they couldn't let that stand.

They glanced at the supplies spread out on the desk. "Memorial-making? Is there aught I can help with?" They were, themselves, a little more muted than usual, in deference to her. They knew their enthusiasm was often annoying and, if she were thinking on the dead, then 'enthusiasm' was quite definitely out of place.
Melita Najya
the Honeybee

Age: 26 | Height: 5'6" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
MELITA
Despite the general atmosphere and business of the bar, Melita expected to be left to her own devices. She usually was, tucked away in her corner to plot away some other emboldened dominion, to muse and flicker about. At someone’s voice, she lifted her head from staring at her objects and trinkets, pondering which and what to utilize, blinking rapidly at the person before her. She didn’t know them; perhaps portions of the backdrop, of the scenery, of the surroundings, as she leapt and bounded through each streamlined terrain. The offer was sweet, compassionate, and kind though, so she didn’t respond with any brusque, capricious, mercurial, moody mannerisms: just a measure of surprise. “Oh, um,” then she glanced down at her wares, wondering if there was anything of worth or value sanctioned there. “I was hoping to put something up to remember Adam and Peter, and their companions. But I wasn’t sure what to use.” Whether or not this person knew them either was left unsaid; the uncertainty flickering over her skin.

Age: 24 | Height: 5'7" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
"I didn't know them, but I... heard. About the... Well, anyway." They cleared their throat and glanced out quickly at the rest of the bar.

It wasn't horribly messy right now, and it wasn't as if they had a set schedule to see to.

"I'm Quanil," they said, "and maybe, if you don't mind, I could sit with you and you could tell me about them? I might be able to help better that way. I could get you a drink first if you needed one."

A lot of people seemed to like drinking when they reminisced, in Quanil's experience, and doubly so if they were thinking back on people they lost. They hadn't really understood until Mr. Sunjata had introduced them to that wine, and everything had gotten pleasantly fuzzy and giggly. It seemed like it would be nice, when thinking of sad moments, to dim reality at the edges, to introduce some happiness into yourself. So they figured the offer of a glass or mug of something should be extended.
Melita Najya
the Honeybee

Change author:
MELITA
She assumed everyone had heard about the debacle within the caves; the finer points, the hazardous, treacherous details might still have escaped. She didn’t want to know, not really, keeping her head down in the sand, even when Sunjata had been heavily involved in leading the group into the caverns. Her eyes went down to the desk again, studying its surface, smothering the sigh welling and quelling in her chest. They only came back up their introductions, smiling in spite of the subject matter, the notions at hand. “Nice to meet you, Quanil. I’m Melita. I wouldn’t mind.”

Except she didn’t have as many memories as others did. They were scattered and silly mostly, and there were likely far more people suited to doing this than her. But it felt better than doing nothing at all. “I don’t need a drink, but thank you," waving that aside, mostly because she’d lose all her concentration and end up in some other mess. “I only really knew Adam, and not well. But we practiced archery together. And I made him a bow.” The grin returned for a moment, gone again when she wondered if he’d ever used it. If it was just one more thing in the ether, in the vestiges, forgotten.

While her fingers started contorting a makeshift arrow out of her raw materials, she decided against it, and formed them into something resembling that gun he boasted about. As she worked, she mused vaguely, brows furrowing in concentration. “You can always put something on the wall too. It’s there for everyone.” The inquiry of have you lost anyone before slid along her teeth, but she didn’t give it voice, not yet. Perhaps it’d be stupid, rude, to billow about anyway. Hadn’t everyone experienced loss?

Change author:
They smiled at her acceptance of their company and nodded at her refusal of the drink. "Very well." They sat down and said, "If you change your mind, let me know." They meant "if you change your mind about the drink," but it wouldn't be the first time in their life that someone had regretted trying to start a conversation with them.

They listened to the reminiscence. "You made a bow? With magic or by hand? I mean, I suppose it's all 'by hand' in a way 'cause sometimes there's gestures with magic, but... actually made made? I." They huffed at themselves and muttered, "Sometimes I even frustrate myself," cleared their throat and clarified, "Made with magic or without it?"

They began to pick up something, then hesitated. "If you're sure it's okay? I mean, these are your materials." Living was always tenuous, and death was always ...well, "lurking" sounded rude. More like Ludo was a frequent guest at everyone's dinner table. The problem this Leafchange, as with many others, was that, when you were making memorials and lanterns, you were sort of spoiled for choice as to whom they should be dedicated.
Melita Najya
the Honeybee

Change author:
MELITA
The gun formed by sticks was only a subtle outline, and she stared at it as she raised it to see better in the light, pondering how she could fill it in. Maybe some pine cones? Or pieces of dried grass, leaves? The inquiry settling over her, distracting, so that her eyes aligned back to them. “By hand. I don’t have magic.” Or shifting. Though she’d take the ability to summon a god anytime; not allowing her voice to hold any envy or jealousy – long since accepted that she hadn’t been granted those particular gifts. She’d simply learned to foster her own capabilities with strength, precision, and headstrong, ruthless, reckless contortions. “Do you have any?” Perhaps they were one of the many with those spans and strains; endlessly curious of what others could come up with and form.

As for her materials being used? “Absolutely. Go ahead.” She’d rather see them utilized, and not just by her roughened, less-than-artistic hands.

Change author:
"Magic? Not so far. My younger sister just discovered she can make puffs of air come out of her hands, which is nice. I'd be making a memorial for her, otherwise."

When she gave them them the go-ahead, they said, "Thank you, Miss Melita." They considered what was on the table and which of the many victims of the Fiat Lux Festival Fiasco they wanted to honor. None of them had really been friends, but Quanil had liked some of them, and everyone deserved a memorial, they thought.

But as they began to gather materials, they chatted. "Are you a bowyer by trade then?" Their brow furrowed as they looked at what she had in her hands. "And I'm not sure that looks like much of a bow?" They hesitated to say that; criticizing the bowyer on how she makes bows was probably not a good way to continue this association in relative peace.
Melita Najya
the Honeybee

Change author:
MELITA
No magic so far – but that could hold different connotations. “Can you shift into animals then?” She nodded at their sister’s intriguing abilities: capable of instilling puffs of air. “How so?” Not meant to make them relive some horrific venture, but out of simplistic curiosity, and she kept bending and twisting the makeshift, stick gun, until the saplings seemed to be rendered in place, and she tied them accordingly with twine.

Her eyes darted over to the materials they chose, but shrugged, waiting for something to take shape before surrendering to further inquiries. “Oh, no. I just like archery.” Liked the feel of the bow, the string, in her hands – to know she had some power behind it, a target, a direction, a snap of the taut threads, and a searing flash of fire echoing beyond it. When they noted the object in her hands, she managed a light chuckle, no offense taken. “This is supposed to be a gun. Or what I know of them.” Which wasn’t much of anything, just that he’d been fond of them. “Adam had one.”

Change author:
"No, I... can't really do anything." They cleared their throat from that bit of harsh truth and moved on. "Freina - well, we were all at the Fiat Lux Festival, and when those ice shards started flying... I didn't know it at the time, I'd lost track of her, but apparently she blew an ice shard off course enough to keep it from hitting her heart. Got her in the shoulder instead, but injured's better than dead. ...I didn't mean for that to rhyme."

"Oh, a gun! Mr. Sunjata told me about them. Sketched one for me, too. That looks much more like a gun than a bow." Their own memorial would have to be more generic, given that they hadn't know much about Herri, whom they'd decided to build for. They frowned at the materials thoughtfully and selected a piece of darker brown paper to begin with. "He said - Mr. Sunjata did - that he missed his guns, so I'm sure Adam will appreciate you remembering his gun."
Melita Najya
the Honeybee

Change author:
MELITA
Can’t do anything couldn’t possibly be true. Melita had been on this realm for almost two years now, and knew, had learned, how the races seemed to range. “Maybe you’re like me then!” Accepted – her smile growing, blooming, while her hands worked. So few had been: at some point they all seemed to choose somewhere else to take root and blossom. “That means you can summon the gods.” How powerfully she wasn’t certain – shrugging her shoulders, waiting for the inevitable series of questions to follow.

At least their sister had made it through Fiat Lux; the memories fanning out from her cranium, a shake of her head as she sought not to relive it. “That’s good for her, then.” And in time the enchantments would likely change and morph, becoming stronger and fiercer, more than just protecting.

To hear Mr. Sunjata caused the slightest of giggles and snorts. “Sunjata is my uncle.” Her eyes followed to which materials they chose, and then placed the makeshift gun off to the side, pondering which things to pick for Peter, whom she knew much less. Maybe a snowflake, since he had gone to Halo? She didn’t want to choose anything representing the family he’d belonged to – which snagged a slight sneer inwardly. “Hopefully,” came out a little winsome, before shrugging her shoulders and returning to work.

Change author:
That was a reminder they didn't often hear. "That's... true." In fact, they'd considered it back when the provost had been injured during their mission into the Labyrinth, but quicker heads with magical hands had stepped in to take care of him. "There just doesn't seem to be much of a point of it most of the time. Everyone else seems to have some ability or something that takes care of it. At this point, all I can do is copy texts and maybe, if I'm lucky, hit something with my staff."

They cleared their throat. Enough about me. "Oh, he's your uncle?! He never mentioned having any family to me, though I suppose I didn't really ask. So you're from the same world then? Do all the words have V's in them? I mean, just... VlamVloed, Slagveld... It sounds like a linguistic pattern somehow, in a way I can't really place - I need to know more about linguistics, and your homeworld's language in general - but..."

Go on, they're used to being interrupted, and frankly, they'll continue to babble questions about V's at Melita if she doesn't. xD
Melita Najya
the Honeybee

Change author:
MELITA
Perhaps they were less than impressed with the ability to summon gods; but Melita would always find the notion fascinating. Maybe it was simply the roles they all played, or that she’d come from a world so similar, and yet so different all at the same time. As far as not having the means or reasons to do it, the youth shrugged, lifting her head at the notion of memories. “I’ve summoned Ludo a couple times. It saved me once from a giant vampire gourd.” She reached over to Fangorn, scratching the top of his head. “Staffs and books are good too though.” Her eyes, sparking with some edge of mischief and merriment, returned to her laden project, maneuvering away from the snowflake intentions, and more towards luxere antlers.

The mentioning of her familial traits with Sunjata seemed to cause some interest though. “We’re from different worlds. My father was from his though.” What good it had ever done; hardly known, several looks towards the lives he’d created before escaping, evading them entirely. The V notes on Sunjata’s language made her laugh, an etching of warmth and delight in the otherwise somber affair. “Korofian does seem to have a lot.” But she wasn’t about to spark or sizzle the variety of words she knew in the speech, since many of them were curses, and usually reserved for her adversaries.

Change author:
Oh now she'd done it.

"You're Mr. Sunjata's niece but you're from yet another world?!" Their voice practically dripped with breathless excitement, and there was a brief, peaceful pause as their eyes widened and the sheer wonder of that fact stilled their brain.

A very brief pause.

"So, what world are you from them? Was it more like Korofian or like Caido? Or not really like either? How'd your father wind up not on Korofian? Did your father come here? I think I would've noticed you before I did, you do stand out - in a good way! Like a golden butterfly or something. I would've seen you before, I'm pretty sure. I mean I've seen you before now, but I'd've seen you before then even so your father must've gone from Korofian to some other world first, but then you came here, so is this like... something your family does? Just hop worlds? You must like Caido if you're staying then. But wow, that'd be so interesting to just see other worlds whenever you wanted and I wish Mr. Sunjata had told me he had a niece, but I guess it didn't come up really. Is he a fun uncle? He's a good man, but that doesn't necessarily mean he's a fun uncle. Is he?"

And with that, the torrent actually ceased for just a moment, if for no other reason than that the gathering of knowledge must occasionally be tempered by the need to catch one's breath.