[se] it could be bunnies
For Josh
the Firebrand
Headmaster / Grand Healer

Age: 29 | Height: 5' 11' | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 11 - Strg: 32 - Dext: 33 - Endr: 35 - Luck: 39 - Int:
ASTRA - Mythical - Luxere
Played by: Crooked Offline
Change author:
MP: 3415
LOREN
Halo had a scarcity of books, so Loren still found himself in the Atheneum every now and then. Today, he was deep in some books about old legends and tales passed down by the elders of the Hollowed Ground. Although many of them centered on creatures and stories from after the bubble went up, a few covered before that as well.

However, the scrolls and tomes were fragile, and he gingerly turned the pages, trying not to damage them. A notebook was open next to him, and every once in a while he would make a note in the shorthand he'd developed long ago. Astra was curled up at his feet, stirring occasionally for a rub or a scritch before settling down again.

He wasn't so deep in his studies that he didn't hear the scuffling sound of someone walking around the shelves. Glancing up, he frowned. "Hello?" Calling out softy, he peered around curiously, though not afraid.
A beggar's book
outworths
a noble's blood
Joshua Sheppard
Private Investigator

Age: 42 | Height: 5'8" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 2 - Strg: 12 - Dext: 13 - Endr: 13 - Luck: 9 - Int:
Played by: Lancy Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
JOSH
Josh had ventured in this building once before to see the shrine to The Voice (which he had now decided was little more than an altar and some legend), but had not at the time had a chance to check out the books surrounding it. Now that he had sorted himself somewhere to sleep (timey wimey), he had some more time to come and see what the people of Sanctuary thought was worth writing down.

You could find a lot out about a people through what they kept records of. Josh had started at the far end of the shelves, pulling out whatever looked interesting (and not making much of an effort to clean up behind himself) to read; he'd gone through so much of his notebook he feared he might soon need a new one. He was aware there were other people in the Atheneum walking past, some staying, but ignored them.

That is, until one of them called to him. Stepping around the shelf to look at Loren, Josh looked over the book he was currently reading, an archaeological text about the buildings abandoned in the town. "...Hey. You wanting something from me?" He asked, used to being ignored rather than called out for - usually he initiated conversations, people finding him 'off-putting' and 'creepy'.
Better to be laughed at than wrong
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
the Firebrand

Age: 29 | Height: 5' 11' | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:
LOREN
As the stranger emerged from the stacks, Loren blinked. "No sorry. I was just curious who else was out there." Peering at the title of the text the other man was holding, the healer lifted his gaze to the stranger's face. "I don't think we've met." Standing up, the Launceleyn held out his hand for the other man to shake. "I'm Loren."

Glancing around, Loren's brow furrowed as he realized that no one who worked in the Atheneum was nearby. "I don't know if you're looking for, but I'd be happy to help you find it." Tone friendly and polite, he smiled faintly at the stranger.
A beggar's book
outworths
a noble's blood
Joshua Sheppard
Private Investigator

Age: 42 | Height: 5'8" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
JOSH
Indeed, they had not met - Josh didn't feel the need to do anything about that, but Loren seemed keen on an introduction so he let his hand be taken, making an assessment of the man before him. "Josh Sheppard." He said simply, for a moment reminded of when he had been a professional shaking hands with executives and CEOs, saying his name in completely different circumstances.

He didn't miss that.

Loren would regret offering his help soon enough when Josh nodded and pulled from his notebook a piece of paper bearing a list that was several columns deep, written in smudged pencil in small letters. "There are several items I want to learn more about." He told the man, an absolute understatement.
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
the Firebrand

Change author:
LOREN
Loren's handshake was firm and polite, nothing more. Releasing Josh's hand, the healer found himself fiddling with the pages before him, rubbing one of the corners between his fingertips. When the other man actually took the Launceleyn up on his offer, however, he raised his eyebrows in surprise.

Still, he gestured at the chair across from him easily enough. "I'd be happy to answer what I can. Please, sit." As he waited for Josh to get situated, Loren closed his own book and set it aside. Steepling his fingers, he rested his chin on them. "What can I help you with." Voice quiet, expression attentive, he looked every inch the librarian he'd once been.
A beggar's book
outworths
a noble's blood
Joshua Sheppard
Private Investigator

Change author:
JOSH
Josh didn't expect Loren to continue with his offer, not after he was clearly surprised by the list; when he was asked to sit down he paused for a beat of silence, watching Loren carefully. Could there be any ulterior motive here? He wasn't used to helpfulness after many years of being an outcast, having to provide for himself and only himself; he found himself inherently suspicious.

Yet he couldn't pass up the chance to learn more on all the topics he'd collected so far. Sitting down, he took a deep breath before placing a finger on the top item of his list, starting to read as he slid his finger down to keep his place. "I need to know more about...The Gods. What proof is there that they are real beyond personal accounts? Why does there only appear to be one religion accepted despite the huge numbers of people here from different worlds? The Ascended. What is the chemical composition of their 'fluid'? The Outlanders. Has there been any kind of research into the worlds they come from? Any correlation between them?"

There were clearly more questions on the paper, but Josh stopped there, giving Loren a chance to answer. His eyes stared intensely at the librarian with hardly any blinks, his body eerily still.
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
the Firebrand

Change author:
LOREN
When Josh sat down and began rattling off questions, Loren blinked. Letting out a huff of laughter, he felt his brow furrow in concentration as he listened to what was clearly a newcomer. Nodding slowly, the healer held up a finger when the other man finished. "The Gods are definitely real. I've met the three heralds and the Voice. I take it they haven't answered your prayers?" The Launceleyn shrugged. "It often takes them a while to show up for new arrivals." Still he gave Josh a sympathetic smile.

Drumming a finger on the table, Loren frowned. "What makes you say there's only one religion?" He tilted his head to one side. "Sure, the Gods of this world are real, but everyone worships them in their own way." He shrugged, confusion writ large on his features.

"I have no idea what the fluid is made out of. You should ask Phoebe, the Dean of the Medical College, though, I know she was studying it." Pausing, he sighed. "And no one knows why people are brought here, only that it's the Voice's doing."
A beggar's book
outworths
a noble's blood
Joshua Sheppard
Private Investigator

Change author:
JOSH
"No answer. I prayed there." Josh pointed out to the shelves, towards the Voice shrine. "To the Vampire Goddess. Ascended, sorry." Some words were hard to switch to after he'd spoken about them with different ones for years and years. "Just silence, which is what I expected. I got told I won't get a reply because I now have magical powers. Is that true?"

He frowned himself as Loren spoke about religion: did they understand it differently here? "...Right, but they all worship the same Gods. Where I come from, people believe in lots of different Gods from each other." None of them real, as far as he'd found out.

Scribbling down the name 'Phoebe', he nodded to the last answer. "Were you brought here? Or were you born here?"
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
the Firebrand

Change author:
LOREN
Nodding at Josh's question, Loren let out a huff of laughter at the comment about a vampire goddess. "If you have magic powers, then you're an Abandoned, and yes, the gods, both old and new, are less likely to answer your call." He gave the newcomer a sympathetic look. "If you seek an audience with them, I recommend accompanying someone who is beloved in their eyes." It came out quietly.

Shrugging, the healer drummed his fingers on the table. "Why worship gods that don't exist and won't answer when there are gods that do exist and will answer." Clearly he didn't see a problem with that. "There are rumors of other, weaker beings that people worship, but I don't know any specifics." He sounded less than certain on that point.

"I'm an Outlander." Nodding at the notebook, he smiled a bit ruefully. "I take it from all your questions that you're one as well?"
A beggar's book
outworths
a noble's blood
Joshua Sheppard
Private Investigator

Change author:
JOSH
Loren's suggestion of going with someone 'beloved' was interesting - Josh wondered if the companion would face any kind of punishment for taking an Abandoned like him with them. "Someone like Amalia? I spoke to her, but I do not know if she would go with me to a shrine. She did not seem to like me." He didn't sound particularly sad about this, just delivering the fact as it was.

"There weren't Gods of the second sort on Earth." Josh informed Loren dryly, leaning forward with interest when 'lesser beings' were mentioned. "Do you know where these beings are worshipped? In my experience, they will have more chance of being real." The less myth, the less hype, the more truth there was to be found, generally.

Another 'Outlander'; Josh nodded. This was good - meant he had a chance to learn about even more worlds. "Yes, I am. Tell me about your world."
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
the Firebrand

Change author:
LOREN
Loren smiled faintly at Josh's mention of Amalia. "She'll warm up to you. And even if she doesn't, she'd be more than happy to take you to see a god." The healer sounded quite certain about that.

"I'm aware. There have been many others from Earth, from many different times and locations." There was something sad and forlorn about his voice. However, he cleared his throat and all trace of sorrow disappeared. "I know of one that is worshipped in Halo. Its name is Eirachi, but that is about the extent of my knowledge."

Raising his eyebrows at the newcomer's question, the Launceleyn sighed. "Worlds. Northwind, then Northaven, through a portal much like this one. Both had magic similar to Caido's. Northwind was much like Caido in a lot of ways, except there were no gods. We were at war, and losing, so we found a way to preserve ourselves through Northaven. It was a walled city, with dangers everywhere outside the walls. Still no gods."
A beggar's book
outworths
a noble's blood
Joshua Sheppard
Private Investigator

Change author:
JOSH
"Sometimes the devout like to keep their Gods to themselves...those too eager to share are usually dangerous." Anyone that would immediately proselytise were usually looking to push an agenda of some kind and absorb you into their organisation. The organisation would never live up to the promises.

Josh already knew there was at least one other person from Earth here having met Nate, but the news of 'many' was something new. "What times, what places? I'd like to know." If anyone was from the future he would find that especially interesting, but he'd settle for the distant past. He wrote down 'Eirachi', turning his paper to show Loren his spelling to check, but didn't ask any more on that.

"You have passed through twice? Amazing that you're not speaking out of your belly button." Josh had seen beings that had gone too many times through the walls of reality; it wasn't long before the body forgot how it fit together, before legs and arms were sliding out of the wrong place and brains were soup. "Was it intentional? Have you harnessed the ability to jump worlds?"
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
the Firebrand

Change author:
LOREN
Nodding at Josh's analysis, Loren tapped his fingers against the desk idly. "True enough. I supposed I should say Amalia is a devotee of the old gods, and wishes to share their blessings and teachings with others so they might follow the old ways too." He shrugged, not bothered by that fact.

Sighing, he shook his head sadly. "Sorry. I don't know the details. I know...I think Egypt? From a time of the Pharaohs? Other times and places too." As he spoke his expression grew sad and distant. He had to force himself to take a calming breath to focus on the situation at hand.

Pressing his lips together, he shook his head again. "No. The first time someone else opened the portal. The second was...unintentional. And if I had that power, don't you think I would go home and help others to do the same?"
A beggar's book
outworths
a noble's blood
Joshua Sheppard
Private Investigator

Change author:
JOSH
"..I'm not sure about that. She didn't like my plan to live in the top of the Spire." Josh informed Loren, saying this flatly as if it wasn't anything special and Amalia was odd for having any kind of reaction at all to it. Honestly, he didn't care that much; he was sure he'd be able to tie down one of these 'Gods' eventually.

The mention of Egypt and Pharaohs of all things surprised Josh and he was quiet for a moment, trying to collect in his mind all the information he knew about that society - a lot of it was wrapped up in alien investigations, though he'd eventually decided it was all bullshit."There's an Ancient Egyptian here? That would make for an interesting conversation. Where can I find them?"

As for whether Loren would go home, he shrugged. "Your home might have sucked ass. I don't know. How did the first person open the portal?"
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3