it seems fine to be alone
open!
Letha Úlfurdur

Age: 32 | Height: 5'6" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: N/A - Strg: 11 - Dext: 13 - Endr: 13 - Luck: 10 - Int:
Played by: Time Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
LETHA
After all the help Amun had been, Letha was thankful for him. She could not imagine a better person to be her greeter upon entry to this foreign place. He had guided her so well, so carefully and warmly. She owed him a great deal, even if he did not expect that from her. For now, and hopefully for a long while, she would consider Amun a friend. But, for now, he had done his piece and they parted ways. Letha had some exploring to do and Amun...well she did not know what he was doing or where he was going, and it wasn't her business.

She did not move too far from where the two had met, but she did find something peculiar happen to her: daytime. Lethargy, weakness, lightheadedness. It overwhelmed her until she had found shelter. Confused, tired, and angry, she waited until the sun set again before she could finally feel anything close to normal. Now the sun was well below the horizon, taking its rest from warming the earth. So, the woman moved. She moved slowly, taking in the sights and sounds around her. A bright light had drawn her near, and she stood at the base of a great stone tower.

She did not know what it was, but it was beautiful. She reached out, touching it gently with her fingertips. She did not know how long she stood there, touching the lighthouse and listening to the sound of the crashing waves, but it felt okay. The waves were no longer overwhelming to hear, but instead brought a small sense of comfort and calm to her heart.

You can't choose what stays and what fades away
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
Raza Ekambe
Owner of the Hanged Man

Age: 37 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 4 - Strg: 18 - Dext: 19 - Endr: 18 - Luck: 20 - Int:
HOA - Regular - Albino Granite Burmese Python
Played by: Astor Offline
Change author:
MP: 59
RAZA
I fucking love Torchline in Leafchange.

It isn’t that we have a bunch of trees that turn colorful (though I’ve read about how that happens in other parts of Caido), it’s that after the scorch of Longheat, the cool breezes off the sea brings about a turn in people. Like anyone, we’re susceptible to heat-anger. Very susceptible. Every other night, I swear there’s a fight in the Hanged Man, but as the heat wanes the brawls die down and I’m able to actually fucking relax some nights.

Like tonight. It was a quiet evening, so I shut the bar down early in order to go for a walk and maybe a moonlight swim. Hoa opted to stay home, so I walk alone - but not unprotected - along the coast until I get to the lighthouse. When I was a kid, I was out here alllll the fucking time. Now? Not so much. Life takes over and it’s a heck of a hike from Haulani. I make my way up to the lighthouse, but instead of the solitude I think I’ll find - there’s a woman, touching Aumakua. In a weird way. I make a face.

“You all right?” I call out, planting myself a safe distance away.
tonight the heartache's on me
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
Letha Úlfurdur

Age: 32 | Height: 5'6" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
LETHA
The fact that Letha could hear better than she had in her past life -- could she call it that? -- was not yet an advantage to her. Instead, she found herself in another moment when someone was able to sneak up on her because she was wholly consumed by the sound of the crashing waves. Thankfully, the surprise she had shown on the beach when Amun had approached was not the same way she reacted now. The hair on the back of her neck stood on end for a moment, and she turned quickly to face the woman who called out to her.

"Oh," She stumbled on her words for a moment, eyebrows knitting together as she assessed the confusing -- concern? -- on the other woman's face. "I'm fine. I was just...admiring." She decided, her hand now firmly set against the stone of the lighthouse, using it almost to draw confidence to herself. "Am I tresspassing?" She asked suddenly, shoulders tightening. Had she intruded onto this woman's territory, her home? She wanted to take a step back, but something in her gut told her to stay planted where she was. She pressed her heels down into the dirt, letting her instinct make her decisions for her.

Raza

BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
Raza Ekambe
Owner of the Hanged Man

Age: 37 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
RAZA
I can understand that - being absorbed in the sound of the waves. What do you think lulls the sailors to sleep every night, the Torchline babes in their cradles, the lovers on the beach? The sound of the Ocean is in our blood. Most of us, however, don’t stand in rapt attention to Aumakua. Not the sane ones, at least.

“Admiring?” I repeat, as if the idea had never occured to me. Not recently, at least. The things I admire are out there - in the water. In a head. I’m about to ask her another question when she asks her own, and then I know she ain’t from here. “No, the lighthouse is for everyone.” I pause, tilting my head a little as I try to suss her out. “Haven’ you seen a lighthouse before?” I suppose you could own a lighthouse, but why take the responsibility of guiding the ships home on yourself? It’s an everyone kind of thing.

And who’s ever heard of someone living in a lighthouse? I chuckle to myself at the thought. “You ain’t from here, are ya?”

That seems to be my go-to phrase lately. I hate it.
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
Letha Úlfurdur

Change author:
LETHA
Letha nodded, relief flooding her veins and easing the muscles in her shoulders to relax. She was glad she was not tresspassing on this woman's home. "No, I've never seen a lighthouse before." She looked up towards the sky, the height of the stone building amazing to her. She wondered if her mother could have made anything like this. Ranjiri was a skilled mason, that was a memory that Letha was confident in.

"I'm afraid not." She shook her head lightly, letting her hand fall from touching the lighthouse. As it did, her fingers tried to remember every bump and edge of stone. She sighed, some. "Are you a local?" She asked, looking the woman up and down. At this point, Letha was not concerned about trying to be discrete. This woman already seemed to read her like a book.

The sound of the waves still crashed behind Letha. It was too warm here and there was a lack of any fog or mist, but the waves crashing against stone, banging to be let in, made her feel some familiarity. It brought comfort to her, in this place where everything else was new and uncomfortable.

BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
Raza Ekambe
Owner of the Hanged Man

Change author:
RAZA
“Oh.” Okay, yeah, I’m a little surprised that she actually hasn’t seen a lighthouse before. “Well, this is a pretty standard one.” I attempt to lighten the mood, reaching out with both hands to indicate the big thing in front of me. Little do I know that magic isn’t typically how lighthouses remain lit, but eh, here they are.

So with the answer that the woman isn’t from here, I move past her, to the side of the lighthouse that faces the ocean, half so she doesn’t see my face at the news and half because that’s where I was headed anyway. “I am,” I reply, turning slightly back to be polite. Turning back to the ocean, I continue. “Torcher born ‘n bred.” Sitting down, I lean back on my hands and glance again over my shoulder.  “I’m Raza. Own a bar called the Hanged Man. In Haulani. You?” Not really sure if any of that will sound familiar to the lady, but it helps set up who I am and where I’m coming from.

Setting my bag down beside me, I start to take off my shoes, too.
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
Letha Úlfurdur

Change author:
LETHA
Having not expected anyone else to join her this night, Letha did not have much to say. She was not disappointed in the company, which felt odd, but she was not sure if Raza felt the same. She wondered if the woman had come to be in solitude at the lighthouse, as Letha had. It seemed such a fine place to sit quietly, and think, and look out to the ocean.

"I am Letha. I, uh, don't do anything here, I guess? I'm really new." She put emphasis on the word really, turning to follow Raza with her eyes. It seemed interesting to be a barkeep in such a place as Torchline. Letha could not even remember if she knew the taste of alcohol. Something inside of her doubted it, thinking that her mother might not have approved of the substance. "My family were tradesmen, before I came to Caido. Crafters, mostly."

As she moved away from Letha and set her possessions down, Letha's head cocked some. She watched curiously as the woman stripped off her shoes. "What are you up to tonight?" The question, she hoped, was not prying or rude, but simply meant only to convey curiosity.

BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
Raza Ekambe
Owner of the Hanged Man

Change author:
RAZA
Letha, huh? Cute name. Cute girl, once you get past the sense that she’s a tad out of it. I place my shoes next to my bag and strip my top off. Got a swimsuit on, obviously, though if Letha weren't here, I’d probably go nekkid because there’s nothing like the feeling of being one with the ocean.

“And what did you craft?” I ask, standing up and sliding my shorts down. I toss them easily onto the pile, turn around and offer her a bit of a smile. “Swimmin’. D’ya wanna join me? Water’s still warmish this time of year.” A cool breeze sweeps along the edge of the Peninsula, sending goosebumps up and down my skin. Without waiting to see if she says yes or no, I step into the dark water, knowing roughly how far I can go until it gets too deep. I may be bold, but I’m not stupid. Take care in dark waters.
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
Letha Úlfurdur

Change author:
LETHA
Letha does not even bat an eye as the woman begins to strip. There is some part of her that wanted to look away, but Raza's apparent lack of a need for privacy made Letha think it did not matter. She let her hands fall down to touch her own skirt, gently curious about the different in clothing between the two of them. If the others in this place were dressed closer to Raza than Letha, she would surely stick out like a sore thumb among them.

It felt fine to be alone, anyway, and so she felt no need to venture towards a large mass of people.

"Just whatever our people needed." She decided that was a better answer than the truth: I don't remember what I did. Only my family. She took a step towards Raza and the ocean, until her bare feet almost touched the water. Her eyebrows came together and her jaw hardened some. She looked at the water, then back up to the woman. "I'm not sure if I can." She admitted the truth, then, knowing that the water before them posed a danger. She had a high enough self preservation instinct to know to admit her own defeat that to lie to this woman and step into the dark water.

BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
Raza Ekambe
Owner of the Hanged Man

Change author:
RAZA
I slip in like a slender seal, feeling at home in the water that’s held me since birth. Kicking off the ground,  I swim out a couple of strokes until it’s up to my shoulders and I have to tread a bit of water. Turning around when Letha says she doesn’t know if she can swim, I have to admit I’m a bit baffled. “What do you mean?” It seems like something you either do or don’t know. Like I’m a shit deep diver but pretty damn good at cliff diving. Idling back towards the shore, my feet touch and I come to stand, water to my waist. “I mean, if you can’t it’s okay. I won’t judge. S’quite safe right here.”

Fingertips tap and twirl over the surface of the water, demonstrating how safe it is.

I don’t know why I continue talking to her, maybe I just want to see what’s under that skirt.
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
Letha Úlfurdur

Change author:
LETHA
She watched Raza swim. Letha could not help but be amazed by the ease and grace with which the Torchline native moved. She swallowed, hard, not sure if she wanted to admit to the woman how much she did not know. Somehow, somewhere deep in her chest, she wanted to hold the information of her memory loss -- or fogginess -- for herself.

Her birth home had been surrounded by water, cliffs and mist. Letha wasn't sure if she could swim -- but the reality was she wasn't sure if she could swim in this body. Something about the way Raza moved her arms and her body felt so foreign to Letha. Could she move like that, to keep herself afloat? She took a step forward, willing to try. Amun had said that if she were careful, she could live forever. If Raza was as capable as she appeared, that would make Letha feel safer. But would the woman save her if she went under?

Only one way to tell.

Letha followed the actions of Raza, and stripped down. Unlike the barkeep, however, she did not have a swimsuit. She kept her shirt on, the light, white and sleeveless fabric still covering her but not heavy enough to pull her down in the water. Her skirt, however, was different. She just had her underwear beneath it. Stepping, though tentatively, into the water, Letha waded out to where Raza stood.

BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
Raza Ekambe
Owner of the Hanged Man

Change author:
RAZA
“Eyyyyy, there ya go!” I offer in encouragement as she wades into the water. Either I’m really convincing or seem safe enough or both. Never really taught someone to swim though, so if that’s what she wants, uhhh - may have to reschedule. Sinking down to cover my damp shoulders with warmer water as a light breeze blows in, I smile up at Letha. “See? Not so bad.” An understatement. I fucking love the ocean.

I wait until she’s (hopefully) more comfortable and then ask again. “So what didja mean by not sure if you can? Don’t you remember havin’ lessons or not?” I also try to keep my eyes on her face, or the lighthouse behind her, or the water, or anything except what might be underneath a damp white shirt.

God, I’m such a perv. I need to find Jack or one of the others when I get back to town.
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
Letha Úlfurdur

Change author:
LETHA
Letha was learning that while things felt familiar or unfamiliar, things no longer felt good or bad, in a sense. No sensation rolled over her body about the water licking at her legs and hips as she waded in, but she was faintly aware in the difference in temperature between the water and the air above it. Without knowing that she had been turned into this new, bright, thing, she might have spent more time dwelling on this fact. But instead, she chocked it up to being Ascended, and moved on, accepting it for who she was now.

Letting her hands fall into the water at her sides, she swept them through the salty liquid. As Raza asked her questions, Letha breathed out (though she had realized she also didn't need to do that), "What I mean, is that since awakening in Caido, I can't remember most of my life from before." She had not wanted to offer this information to the woman initially, but what was the harm in releasing it?

She watched how Raza moved in the water, and replicated it some. The taller, older woman was much more elegant and beautiful as she moved in the water, and Letha wanted to emulate that with her own body. She lowered her body more into the water, and let the ebb and flow of the warm water hold her body, bringing her closer towards the barkeep.

BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
Raza Ekambe
Owner of the Hanged Man

Change author:
RAZA
“Oh shit. I half-exclaim, when Letha reveals that she can’t remember her old life. I know a couple of Outlanders, though, and they’ve never mentioned that side effect before. It also puts the lady in perspective and I find that even my contained lust is floating away, replaced with something akin to pity and - no, not protectiveness, exactly, nor a desire to help, but goodwill? I don’t fucking know, it just changes how I see her.

“I’m sorry,” comes a little more quietly. “Didn’t know that could happen.” I also don't really want to dwell on it, so back to the swimmin' thing at hand. And as she bops her way closer to me, I make sure to place myself in a ‘safe’ area, where I know the current won’t come and whisk us away. Nodding in encouragement, I can’t see what’s going on below the water unless her white, white skin is near the surface, but she seems to be doing alright. “So how’s that feel? Not so scary, yeah?”

Offering the Outlander a bit of a crooked grin, I seem to nonverbally project a bit of, see? I was right.
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3