times they are achangin'
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Age: 34 | Height: 5' 5" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 10 - Strg: 28 - Dext: 25 - Endr: 27 - Luck: 25 - Int: 1
MIA - Regular - Ragdoll Cat
Played by: lancydulac Offline
Change author:
MP: 0

Samuel
Tell me little dear if you've only lived here,
have you ever really lived at all?

Moonlight cast odd shadows from the bone bridge, bulbous dark shapes moving over the gorge beneath like grotesque monsters; the pit itself a yawning darkness in the otherwise quiet night, which Sam now found himself wandering in.

He'd had trouble sleeping (ironic, as Ascended really couldn't sleep anyway, not really, but he usually liked to do something close) and had decided to go out for a walk, but it had not at all helped to clear his head. Not when his feet had taken him here, a place so wrapped up in complex and difficult memories it might as well have been made to make him feel bad. This had been where he'd fallen down with Remi, almost two years ago now, where they'd begun their ill-advised affair...back then, it had all seemed exciting and new and terrifying. Now it just seemed messy and regretful.

Leaning on the edge of the oddly-shaped rail and staring down into the darkness, he wondered where he might be in another year. Still helping the Voice? Would there be more members of their family, or fewer? Would things be any better, or worse? Sighing, he pushed a hand through his hair and looked up to the sky. "If you're listening Mother...I'm feeling awfully hopeless right now. I hope your plan becomes clearer soon."

Letha Úlfurdur

Age: 32 | Height: 5'6" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: N/A - Strg: 11 - Dext: 13 - Endr: 13 - Luck: 10 - Int:
Played by: Time Offline
Change author:
She can't see the landscape anymore
It's all painted in her grief
All of her history etched out at her feet

Her explorations had not yet turned up short. This new place was so full of mystery and wonder. Letha could not help but wander, eyes wide and ever moving. Despite the curiosity she felt in her breast, she knew she had to be careful. Before she had descended too far into the ruins, she had found a sharp, sturdy rock. It was nearly three inches long, and resembled a knife enough for her to believe that it may have been one, once. She slipped it into her skirt pocket, ready to yield it should she need to protect her life.

She had been born to skilled builders, but they had been born to warriors. Letha had instincts, and she knew when to let them guide her.

While she wandered she had not intended to disturb any other being. However, just like how the rest of her time had been in Caido, Letha stumbled upon someone. Before her, a large gorge spread out, covered with mist. Her heart fluttered with the familiarity of it, even though she had never seen it before. It reminded her of the cliffs of where she had once come from, a place she had once called home. Her eyes trailed across the bridge, and onto the stranger. He was a small man, not any taller than her, but Letha kept her distance anyway, remembering the rock in her pocket. She had yet to decide if she was going to be the one to speak first.

Samuel

Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Age: 34 | Height: 5' 5" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:

Samuel

There came a point where it was a dangerous to stare into the void much longer and Sam realised he'd reached it when he was beginning to lean in over the railing, think about the noise his body would make as he hit the bottom; it was odd: he didn't even want to die anymore, yet his mind still supplied the imagery as readily as it ever had. A lingering symptom, he supposed.

Stepping back and turning to set off back home, he flinched as he saw a person where there hadn't been before. Taking a breath (he really had to stop letting his nerves get the best of him) he smiled and walked towards her, assuming it might be a new Outlander in need of assistance.

"Hello! I don't often see people out so late. Are you alright?" He asked, keeping a distance of a few feet between them. He'd learnt a lot of new Outlanders were anxious at first, and especially given the time, he wanted to give the woman some space.

Letha Úlfurdur

Age: 32 | Height: 5'6" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:

Letha stood there for far too long, and missed her opportunity to leave unnoticed. As the man spotted her she bit the inside of her cheek some. She kicked herself for not turning instantly and going back the way she had come. Too late to do anything, now. The man turned towards her and closed most of the distance between them. She felt a small sense of fear rise in the pit of her stomach, wrapping its fingers around her.

The man, however, seemed pleasant enough. Asking her if she was okay. Letha could not even hide the shock on her face. Was everyone in Caido like this?! Amun, Seren...they had both been kind. Letha let out a long, deep exhale. "I am fine. Just...exploring." She said, letting her hands relaxed. They had clenched into fists before she had time to realize it.

Letha let her eyes run over the man briefly, taking in small details about him. He would be a hard one to miss in the future, with that bright hair of his. "My name is Letha/" She offered it freely, though the fear clenching her gut still second guessed her for doing so. Was this smart? Maybe not, but he had not yet threatened her. No need to strike before being struck, she decided.

Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Change author:

Samuel

Letha certainly did seem to be on edge, even shocked as Sam began to talk (was his voice that weird?), but she did still give him a reply. "Well, that's good." He nodded, unsure of what else to say.

Luckily she gave him her name before he had to awkwardly sidle off into the darkness. "I'm Samuel! I--" He paused, leaning forward (though not stepping any closer) and peering at her face for a moment, then breathed out a chuckle with a grin. "You're Ascended." He whispered, happy to have another family member - had she just arrived like this? Or had she been hidden somewhere like 108, waiting to emerge?

"When did you arrive here?" He asked conversationally, putting his hands in his pockets.

Letha Úlfurdur

Change author:

The man leaned in suddenly, and Letha took one step backwards. Her eyes widened and her jaw dropped some. "Wait, how did you know that? I haven't even been standing here in front of you for five minutes." She had spent hours with Amun before the two of the them came to that conclusion. Her eyebrows knit together, forehead knotting hard. Her shoulders tensed. "Are you an Ascended?" she asked, very intentionally trying to keep her voice from sounding icy.

"I've only been here a few days." She said carefully, resisting the urge to bring her arms up and cross them across her chest. She was shocked and surprised, but she didn't want to seem hostile. This man--Samuel--was able to detect that she was an Ascended eerily quick, it was easily within the realm of possibility that he had other abilities, too.

Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Change author:

Samuel

Letha's surprise immediately made Sam feel guilty; he knew how alarmed he'd be if someone had suddenly announced his race to him seconds after meeting. "Oh, um, sorry. I saw your fangs. Look, I have them too - don't worry." Opening his mouth he pointed to his own fangs, wanting her to be assured she was with someone safe. "I've been Ascended for a long time."

Only a few days - oh. She was an Outlander. Hiding his disappointment he smiled at her in what he hoped was a comforting way. "Well, don't worry. I can help you with anything you need...I'm in the council in the Hollowed Grounds." For the Naturals admittedly, but he still had no qualms with helping out someone new.

Letha Úlfurdur

Change author:

Although they might be kin in race, Letha was not to keen on jumping off the bridge and trusting Samuel quite yet. Amun had been so warm and inviting, and had helped her connect the pieces of her new life in Caido. Who was this man, standing before her so enthusiastic about who--what she--was. She remembered the sharp stone.

Oh. He was  council member. Whatever it meant, Letha knew it was important. He had a rank. She ran her tongue over her own fangs, still a little unsure of the details of their purpose. She sighed some then, and the tension she had been holding in her body was nearly a physical manifest when it fell from her shoulder. "Oh, I see. Well, I've met another Ascended. He's been helping me. Amun...do you know him?"

How had this woman, once so reserved and so quiet, been so willing to divulge information to complete strangers here in Caido? Was it because she felt a sort of companionship with them, a tie to the fact that some of those she had met so far have also been transplants, vagabonds, thrust into this world without their consent?

Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Change author:

Samuel

It seemed Letha relaxed a little as he mentioned his position in the council, but she was still wary; Sam supposed that made sense. If he had been dropped in a world with no warning and a new race to deal with, he would likely have a difficult time with it and his mood often gave way to paranoia if it was strained enough.

"I do know Amun, yes." He didn't particularly like or dislike the man, but they had explored a small part of Halo together. "He told you about The Voice, and everything else?" As far as Sam was concerned the most important part of fitting in in Caido as an Ascended was knowing about their Goddess.

Letha Úlfurdur

Change author:

"He told me about the Voice, yes." Letha remembered on the beach when her excitement got the best of her. She had jumped up and tried to rush Amun to take her to the Voice. He had said that she delighted in them, and almost always answered when they called to her. Letha had a lot of questions, but the overarching, important question was: why her?

"He also told me that the Ascended were like a family." Her tone was matter-of-fact, and she lifted her chin somewhat toward Samuel. "What can you tell me about the Ascended? About this family?" She did not mean to seem pushy, but if Samuel was bringing up the possible information that Amun could have given her, somewhere she knew there was more. There always had to be more.

Despite their already close proximity, Letha took a step out towards Samuel. Her hands fiddled at her sides, tugging some at the hem of her skirt, trying to stay busy, as usual.

Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Change author:

Samuel

That Letha seemed excited about The Voice and her new Ascended family made Sam very happy; he clapped his hands together and nodded. "I can tell you whatever you need to know!" She stepped closer and he took that as a good sign. Gesturing to a rock wide enough for them to both sit on with a decent distance he took a seat.

"I've been Ascended for over ten years now, so..I know most things there are to know about it." He confidently told her, proud of his status as one of the oldest Ascended in the family, even if he had not come to The Voice until the last couple of years. "I'm sure it must be quite a shock to come here like this."

Letha Úlfurdur

Change author:

When Sam brightened even more, Letha felt a tinge of amusement tickle at her. So far, of the two men Letha had encountered, they seemed to love being Ascended. While the woman did not have any qualms about her new state (yet?), she did not share the same kind of radiance about it that Samuel and Amun did. Nonetheless, she needed to know all she could about what her life was supposed to look like. She was choosing to do this from the lens of others, since Amun had not yet taken her to see and speak with the Voice.

The woman followed him, careful to sit an--what she deemed--appropriate distance from him. She let her hands fall at her sides, running over the smooth, cool stone. "Ten years is a long time," She started, looking down at the large rock the man had chosen for them to perch, "But nothing compared to eternity, which we still have." Amun had told her that if she was careful, she could live forever--she wanted to see if Samuel would refute that, or back it up.

She moved on. "Can you tell me about the Voice, from your perspective?" She looked up, cold ocean eyes resting on his.

Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Change author:

Samuel

Letha came to sit by him which was a good sign; Sam had worried he had scared off a new member of their family barely moments into her arrival. He nodded at her comment, looking off into the distance as he thought (as he often did) about the eternity that stretched out before all of them, barring an untimely death. "That's true. I believe that I am one of the Ascended with the most experience, though. None of us still alive have been doing it for hundreds of years, not anymore."

He was more than happy to speak about The Voice and nodded, trying to think of where to begin. "I must take you to see her soon. She'd love to meet you, I'm sure. When you are with The Voice...you feel loved in a way that is hard to come by anywhere else. I...call her my mother, because I truly feel like she is." Sam was a little embarrassed to say this, but he thought it a good way to show just how serious he was about his relationship with his Goddess.

"She has wonderful plans for Caido and wants to help us all advance the way things work here. She's already made portals that help us get from one place to the other very quickly. Oh! And for Ascended, she sometimes gives us upgrades, such as..." Sam slowly began to fade from view, going translucent then entirely invisible. "Isn't that impressive?"

Letha Úlfurdur

Change author:

So far, both Sam and Amun had said that they could take her to the Voice. But, her she was, still sitting with Samuel, not with the Voice. She bit her tongue at her own impatience, her own selfishness. But as Samuel kept talking about the Voice, her desire grew. She felt a pang in her breast when he revealed that he calls the Voice mother. She wasn't sure if the pain was evident on her face, but Letha had been pulled away from her family, her home, and dropped in Caido with no explanation so far except that the Voice probably loved her, and had a reason for her.

"Upgrades?" She asked, but when she looked back to Samuel she understood. She could not keep her mouth closed from the awe that she felt. "Wow, uh, she did that to you? For you?" She leaned toward where Samuel had been sitting, unsure if he was still there. Her eyes widened, trying to locate even an outline of him, or a glimmer. Something that would reveal him to her. "How do you...--" She asked, reaching out with her hand and trying to touch him.

"What do you have to do?" Her question came out rushed and almost breathless, the thrill of watching someone go invisible before her still coursing through her. "What do you have to do to get this magic?" If she had been able to touch Samuel, she would have brushed her fingers along his cheek for just a second, brief and fleeting, before retracting her hand.

She wanted to say it out loud, but waited. Something inside of her said that the Voice had already upgraded her -- after all, in Caido, she could hear.