life is sweet here
open
Seren Taliesin

Age: 25 | Height: 5'7 in (170cm) | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 3 - Strg: 16 - Dext: 20 - Endr: 30 - Luck: 16 - Int:
UMBRA - Mythical - Dragon (fire breath)
Played by: Chan Offline
Change author:
MP: 2197
Seren
I am magnet for all kinds of deeper wonderment
Destined to seek, destined to know
It was fun to see the way people reacted. Surprise was a very interesting expression. Seren liked the way it made their eyes widen and the breath catch.

Giggling muschievously, she made a dramatic pause, letting the expectations build for him... "Mama is Safrin!" she announced, dramatic as could be.

But Saiden had a good revelation to make too, and Seren was properly astonished by it. "You are Aoife's uncle?" she breathed. "Then we are family!" It was perhaps a bit generous, but such was Seren's nature. She counted Sunjata as family too, just by virtue of living in the same place.

And then he proffessed himself to be a pirate, which of course elevated him to hero status right away. Completely taken aback, the girl hunched down right where she was, wide eyed and starstruck. "Do you have... a boat?" she breathed, awe written all over her face.
I am a princess on the way to my throne
Destined to reign, destined to roam
Starlight (Passive) | Starfilled night billow around her like a veil as she moves. It is more noticeable in daytime and when she make sudden movements.
Saiden Hali
Smuggler / Cook

Age: 33 | Height: 6' 2'' | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 5 - Strg: 15 - Dext: 17 - Endr: 20 - Luck: 17 - Int:
Played by: Crooked Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
just take your time wherever you go
At the word Safrin, Saiden blinked again. Then his grin blossomed until it was brilliant. "That's very exciting!" His tone was enthusiastic, and he looked her over now that she was closer, looking for some sign of her divine parentage.

Nodding at her evaluation, he found himself growing a bit sad. "Aye, that we are. I did tell your father that I considered him my brother. Which I guess kind of makes me your uncle too, in a way." His sorrow dissipated entirely at that thought. "Assuming you're okay with that." There was something almost shy in the way he asked that.

Laughing, he shook his head. "No, I don't have a boat." Then he smiled, expression sly. "But I do live and work on a boat. It even has a name."
Seren Taliesin

Age: 25 | Height: 5'7 in (170cm) | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
Seren
Seren beamed. This person was really good at reacting, and she approved wholeheartedly. He looked at her, but though the girl wriggled and posed under the scrutiny, there were no visible signs of her demi divinity. While her eyes were very blue and the hair very dark and rich, and though her nose and cheeks were covered in freckles like so many stars, Seren was nothing more than a pretty little girl, looking to be five or six years old.

"You can be my uncle if you want!" she was saying, with an air of surpreme generosity. "Can I come on your boat some day, Uncle Saiden? What is the name? And what is that for?" A chubby little finger covered in salt and sand pointed curiously at the fishing rod.
Starlight (Passive) | Starfilled night billow around her like a veil as she moves. It is more noticeable in daytime and when she make sudden movements.
Saiden Hali
Smuggler / Cook

Age: 33 | Height: 6' 2'' | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
As Seren agreed to let Saiden be her uncle, something in his chest clenched. Still, he smiled gratefully at her, even as he couldn't help but wonder what it would've been like to actually be an uncle. "I'd like that. I'd like that a lot. Thank you." It was clear how excited he was at the prospect.

Still grinning at her, he unfortunately had to shake his head. "It's not my boat, sadly, and I don't think the captain would like having kids aboard. But there are other boats, and I can take you aboard one if you want." He gave her an apologetic look, though he was hopeful the offer to take her out on another boat would make up for it. "It's called the Ark." That came out in a hushed and proud tone.

Glancing at the rod he put his hand on it. "That's a fishing rod. Would you like to learn how to fish?"
Seren Taliesin

Change author:
Seren
Her excitement fell when he said she couldn't come on the boat. But the offer to find another one was almost as good, and she accepted it with easy grace, without making a fuss. "Ooh, Ark is a good name! And I would like that very much!" she said. "When I grow up, I want to be a pirate too! And a mermaid." Preferably both.

The gazed curiously at the rod, and nodded eagerly. "Yes please! Is the fish for eating?" She stood and came over, the tousled locks of hair a veritable mane about the little face as she inspected the tool. It felt important to know that there was a purpose behind the fishing.
Saiden Hali
Smuggler / Cook

Change author:
Saiden nodded at Seren, clearly pleased with her response. "The Ark is a good name, I agree. And I will take you out as many times as you'd like." Reaching out with his pinky, he grinned. "Promise."

Laughing at her goals, he gave her a knowing look. "If you want to be a pirate and a mermaid, you'll need to learn all about the Ocean. Is that what you want?" He gestured out at the distant horizon. Then, with a twist of his magic, he made the water nearby dance and leap.

Lifting the rod, he held it out for her so she could inspect it. "Aye, they are. It's important to not take too much from the Ocean, otherwise you anger it."
Seren Taliesin

Change author:
Seren
Reaching out her own pinky, Seren hooked it with his with a radiant smile. "It's a promise!" she confirmed. The odd movement of the ocean caught her eye then, following his gesture, and the splashing made her gasp. "You can do magic! I want to learn everything, about the ocean and people and all the things!" She made an expansive gesture, trying to encompass the whole world with her tiny arms.

Her attention was fracturing, and it took the girl a moment to notice that he held out the fishing rod for her inspection. "Life is important too" she nodded sagely, feeling that she got along just fine with her new uncle. "How do you fish?"
Saiden Hali
Smuggler / Cook

Change author:
Saiden couldn't help but laugh, that weird tension in his chest easing somewhat in the face of Seren's innocence and enthusiasm. "Well, there's a lot to learn, yeah? So it might take you a while." Sculpting the water, he had it turn into the shape of a ship bobbing on the waves then a mermaid with wild hair, a pirate hat, and a sword strapped to her waist. "But I'd be happy to teach you."

Letting go of his magic, the water splashed down as he gestured towards the horizon. "The first lesson is respect. Respect the Ocean, and its powers, and its ways." He glanced at her, wondering how she'd react to that.

"That it is." Arching an eyebrow, he lowered the rod again. "There are lots of ways. Using a rod is the simplest and most common. Would you like me to show you?"
Seren Taliesin

Change author:
Seren
Magic was all around her, and in her very bones, but the girl loved seeing it all the same. She laughed freely at the figures he made for her, and listened with keen interest as he spoke. With the look of someone who tried to remember every word.

"How do I reps-respect the Ocean?" Seren stumbled over the word, then frowned and went back, repeating it until she had it down properly. Absorbing Saiden's inflection and accent along with it. She was nothing if not serious about the intent to learn, and more than willing to let him teach her.

"Yes please!" she replied at the offer to show her how to fish. It seemed like a very useful skill to have, living by the ocean and all.
Saiden Hali
Smuggler / Cook

Change author:
Shifting into a kneeling position, Saiden swept his hand across the horizon. "Thank it for its blessings, and ask it kindly for its favors. Know that it is mercurial and passionate and fickle, and that its storms and its sunny days care little for our mortal concerns." There was something almost meditative about the way he spoke of the Ocean, and it was clear he was fond of it, moods and all.

As she agreed to let him teach her, he grinned. "Follow me then." He picked up his fishing rod, then held out his free hand for her to take. Whether or not she did, he would make his way down the beach, towards the hidden cove he'd been heading for earlier.
Seren Taliesin

Change author:
Seren
Seren looked at the ocean, then at Saiden. Her little face expressed doubt. "That sounds almost like a prayer. Is the Ocean a god?" Mama had not told her about that, nor had any of her family.

She took the offered hand and followed the man off along the beach, and looked around with keen interest at the cove. Overhead, Haai had taken to chase after Hels, but whether it was from boredom or hunger, Seren couldn't tell.
Saiden Hali
Smuggler / Cook

Change author:
Saiden smiled at Seren's question, though he also shrugged. Glancing at her briefly, he found his gaze drawn back to the horizon as he considered his response. "Who knows?" The smile turned into a grin. "You'd know far better than I what is and isn't a god, I imagine." Giving her a pleased look, he found his expression grow thoughtful again.

"But I suppose it depends on what you consider a god. The beings that hold more power over mortals, including you mother, are gods, yes. But the Ocean is far more powerful than any mere mortal as well, and doesn't particularly care about our wants and desires. Is that not, in its own way, godlike? To someone like me, at least?" The words came out in a musing tone, since he honestly didn't know the answer.

As her hand settled into his, he gave her another fond smile. Then he led her down the beach. Thankfully, they weren't too far from their destination. When they arrived, he let go of her hand so he could slip the bag off his shoulder and onto the sand. Then he knelt so he was closer to her level. "The first lesson of fishing is picking the right spot. You want a place where the fish you want to get would come, and would be curious enough to examine your bait."

He pointed at the entrance to the pool. The pool itself was shadowed, a shadow provided by a small hill nearby. "The fish come in from the sea looking for a bit of respite from predators and the sun. They're also following their food, which gets swept in here by the current." With that, he reached into his bag to start pulling out boxes.
Seren Taliesin

Change author:
Seren
It was perhaps a touch difficult a subject, but Seren did her best to try and make sense of what Saiden said all the same. "Then is the wind and storms and fire the same?" she inquired, thinking of other forces that could not be pleaded or reasoned with. " But I think those all belong to Rae..." She scrunched up her face, trying to recall if and what Mama had explained about this all.

Still, she didn't reject the notion. When Saiden let go of her hand and began to unpack his bag, the girl went down to the edge of the water. Crouching down, she put a small hand to surface of the waves, and petted it gently. Like it was a dog, or some living thing. "Lets be friends," she told the waves happily.
Saiden Hali
Smuggler / Cook

Change author:
Saiden shrugged, though he smiled at Seren. "Perhaps." Reaching out with his magic, he sent the water spiraling into the air again, while he made the actual air around them ruffle their hair and clothes. "And perhaps they are all just different aspects of Rae." He let the water and the wind die down. "But in my world, I was raised to respect the Ocean. And I see no reason to stop that just because I'm in this one now."

As she asked to be friends with the sea, he laughed. Then he bowed his head. "Thank you for your gifts, and for allowing us safe passage." It certainly came out with the intonation of a prayer. Then he gestured for her to join him. As he waited for her to approach, he took out a fishhook and began threading it onto the end of his line. "This is a fishhook. It's shaped this way so that when a fish bites down on it, it gets hooked in its mouth."