Sparkle like a sunken pirate wreck
Seren Taliesin

Age: 25 | Height: 5'7 in (170cm) | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Level: 3 - Strg: 16 - Dext: 20 - Endr: 30 - Luck: 16 - Int:
UMBRA - Mythical - Dragon (fire breath)
Played by: Chan Offline
Change author:
MP: 1897
Seren
I am magnet for all kinds of deeper wonderment
Destined to seek, destined to know
Most of the time, Seren was perfectly content to play on her own. When Father and Remi were busy and Sunjata too grumpy to be any fun, she inevitably found her way off towards the lighthouse. There were plenty of fun things to do there. Rocks to climb on, tall grass to run through and hide in, flowers to pick and her sisters gravemarker to talk to.  

But some games required company, and when there was none of that to come by, even the brilliant sunshine and blue sea could not keep the girl from feeling lonely.

This particular day found her seated on the biggest rock she could find, knees pulled up to the chest and her little chin propped sulkily against one of them. Staring out at the sea, looking for pirate ships... it should have been a fun game, but with no one to make guessing games with, it quickly lost the attraction.
I am a princess on the way to my throne
Destined to reign, destined to roam
Starlight (Passive) | Starfilled night billow around her like a veil as she moves. It is more noticeable in daytime and when she make sudden movements.
Weaver Hale
the Scythe
Warden of the Citadel

Age: 33 | Height: 5'6 | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 4 - Strg: 10 - Dext: 13 - Endr: 21 - Luck: 22 - Int:
Played by: Kyra Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
Weaver
Time is the substance from which I am made.
Time is a river which carries me along,
but I am the river;
Deepfrost is creeping closer, and with it, she knows, the loss of her freedom. The temperature in Halo at night is already well below livable, and she can only come and go from the portal during the day. It really is a shame that the portal is not in the middle of the Citadel, but alas, nothing in Caido could be so easy. So she is taking advantage of the time to travel while she still can, slipping away in between all the work setting up the Kraai. For now she was waiting for the last few things to arrive so they could set up, and it felt okay to leave for a bit.

Today she decides to take advantage of the warm weather of Torchline. The breeze has picked up, particularly along the coastline, but it is still warm and pleasant. She remembers Sunjata telling her about the house he has near the lighthouse, and she figures if nothing else, she can stop by and see if there is anything she is missing for this bar.

But instead, her attention is caught by a little girl perched on a large rock. Her knees are tucked up against her chest and she looks...sulky? Sad? She seems far too young to be left alone, but then again, Weaver knows very little about children and at what age one can leave them sitting alone on a rock by themselves. Or perhaps her parents are nearby. ’Hello,” she says, making her way over to the little girl. Her smile is friendly, even if the scythe on her back is anything but. ”I’m Weaver,” she offers to the girl, hoping to set her at ease and make it clear she means no harm. ”What are you doing out here by yourself?”
it is a tiger that devours me, but I am the tiger;
it is a fire that consumes me, but I am the fire.
Seren Taliesin

Age: 25 | Height: 5'7 in (170cm) | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Change author:
Seren
Seren had a few options to choose from, when it came to reactions at a time like this. Either she could be shy and timid, or reserved and careful, or she could be happy and enthusiastic. Possibly she could also remain surly and quiet, but that felt boring. Looking up, she blinked down at the person and found that it was a stranger. A pretty woman with hair as dark as her own, with a huge scythe at her back. The question was fairly standard by now, as most adults seemed concerned about her being on her own, though the girl had yet to grow tired of answering it.

"Hello Weaver, my name is Seren," she replied, already brightening a little. "I wanted to play, but all my games are boring today and my family is busy. Do you want to play with me?"

Strictly speaking she shouldn't ask, because Weaver was a stranger... but desperate times called for desperate measures.
Starlight (Passive) | Starfilled night billow around her like a veil as she moves. It is more noticeable in daytime and when she make sudden movements.
Weaver Hale
the Scythe
Warden of the Citadel

Age: 33 | Height: 5'6 | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:
Weaver
but I am the river;
Weaver isn’t the sort to tell a child to avoid strangers. No, she’s the sort who will teach you how to tell the difference between the good and the bad ones. She’ll help you understand that everyone is likely to turn on you in some way or another. Not always maliciously, but simply because life drives people in different directions. She’s the sort who will put a dagger in a child’s hand and make sure she knows how to use it well enough that she can scream and run away. She’ll teach a little girl just where to hit so it hurts the most.

”Hmm, that depends, what sort of game are we playing?” she asks, though she’s already sliding onto the rock beside Seren. Weaver pulls one leg in against her chest and drapes her arm over her knee, letting her other foot rest against the ground still. ”May I ask who your family is?” she adds, merely curious who the little girl belongs to. Children are a rare enough sight in Caido that she cannot help the curiosity.
Seren Taliesin

Change author:
Seren
Seren scooted over to give Weaver room, more than happy to share the space. There weren't a lot of girls in her life, and she was eager to include any who appeared, driven by some need for kinship she couldn't quite explain.

"I was looking at the boats and guessing which ones were pirates," she explained, and pointed out at the sea. It offered a fairly good view of the city and port in the distance, and sails dotted the horizon, like small white pinpricks. "But you can decide the game if you want!" A very gracious offer, in her mind.

"My Mama is Safrin and my Daddy is Ronin, and then Remi and Sunjata and Uncle Saiden," the child rattled off. Including everyone she felt close to, everyone that mattered. "Mama is there - " she pointed at the lighthouse and the sky " - and the others are there." Her little finger moved off to a trail in the grass that led off into the hills. The houses could not be seen from here, but frequent use had turned the path more noticeable than it had been. "Except for Uncle Saiden, he lives on a boat. He's a pirate, just like Sunjata!"

"Who is your family?" Turning back, Seren looked at the older girl with wide blue eyes, that were open and curious and utterly fearless.
Weaver Hale
the Scythe
Warden of the Citadel

Change author:
Weaver
but I am the river;
”That sounds like a good game,” she says, turning her gaze out to the water where Seren points. Honestly, the girl could have suggested most any game and Weaver would have played along at least for a little while. She was not much into games herself, but she could understand the value of them and she did not like the idea of disappointing a child. Or anyone, really, if she could help it. Not in a world so lacking for hope. ”What about that one?” she says, pointing to a large but unadorned ship. It was large enough to house a decent sized crew, lacked anything that looked truly official, but could pass as a cargo ship just going about it’s daily business.

Weaver turns her attention back to the girl as she lists her family, which seems to include possibly slightly adopted figures, but there was nothing wrong with that. ”That is a good family,” she says, very aware that the child had just said Safrin was her mother. Another demi-god, it would seem. All of the names are familiar to her, even if she has not met them all. ”I have not met your mama and papa, but I’ve met the rest of your family. Sunjata is my boss, and Saiden taught me how to fish.”

She does not correct the child in her assertion that Sunjata is a pirate. It may not be strictly accurate, but it was not far from the truth either. Children were clever things. Her statement might lead to the assumption that Weaver is a pirate, though she clearly looks like a girl from colder climates, wearing long pants, boots, and a t-shirt. At least she is out of long sleeves. ”My family lives in Halo. It’s just me and my little brother now. His name is Korbin, and he can turn into a raven.”
Seren Taliesin

Change author:
Seren
Seren considered the ship soberly. "No, I think that one is the target. But that one might be a pirate." She suggested a swift looking vessel that looked to have set the same rough course as Weaver's ship. It would have no trouble catching up to the first ship if it set more sail, and had an inordinate amount of space for cannons for such a sleek ship.

Turning back to Weaver, she beamed at having her family praised. The news that this person knew both Sunjata and Saiden came as a great relief, because that meant she wasn't really a stranger. Phew, nothing to worry about then.

"Ooh, that is amazing! Does that mean you are a mermaid pirate too, just like Sunjata? He is my best friend, you know." It was impossible not to brag, just a little. Having amazing friends made Seren feel a bit important too.

"Where is Halo? Your brother sounds fun, I like birds. They fly really high, I want to do that too!" Gazing up at the vast blue skye, there was a touch of profound longing in the girl's expression. A wistfulness of missing something she couldn't quite explain.
Weaver Hale
the Scythe
Warden of the Citadel

Change author:
Weaver
but I am the river;
Weaver looks to where the girl points. She might be right, but Weaver had picked the ship she’d picked for a reason. Not necessarily because she thinks it’s a pirate ship, but simply to make a point. ”Perhaps, but what if they are chasing the pirate who stole their things?” Her only point is simply to make the girl see things in a different way. Not all things are as they appear, and those that know to look beneath the surface are the ones who survive. Not even just survive, but that is often where the best things are found.

She snorts slightly at the mention of Sunjata being a mermaid pirate, though she doesn’t correct the child. It’s a great image, and Weaver really can’t wait to see Sunjata and ask him about his mermaid tail. They would need something light in the midst of all the darkness. ”Well, he is very lucky to have a friend like you, I would think. Though no, I am not a mermaid pirate. I am not nearly so cool. I just serve drinks and food.” Which is true enough, though she doesn’t go into the details. The girl would probably be smart enough to figure out, at least a bit, what the Kraai was really a front for.

”Halo is way to the north. It is cold and snowy and icy there all year round. Not like here.” Weaver follows the girl’s gaze to the sky for a moment, wondering what it was like to be born of the gods and then thrust into the mortal world. She wonders why Safrin left her here, uncertain how any of that might work. Though of course, Weaver knows little of the gods for they do not care for her. ”Maybe one day you will be able to fly. It does sound fun,” she admits. Perhaps she has come to realize she would not trade her magic for anything, and yet, she still cannot help but be a little jealous of her brother.
Seren Taliesin

Change author:
Seren
Seren looked back to the ships and thought about this. The suggestion raised a number of questions, that all challenged some of the ideas she had taken for granted. "Are they angry at the pirates? Are they going to fight when they catch up? Is taking treasure a bad thing? Isn't it just as bad to take back the things that were taken?" Morality of ownership wasn't really something she had considered before.

"I never saw snow. Can I come visit some time? Giving people food sounds like a very nice thing to do." Not as amazing as being a pirate... But then, not everyone could be that. "I am not a pirate either, yet." The confession came with a wistful little sigh, speaking worlds of regret at this. At least It was something that could still happen in the future, just like the flying.

"My daddy has a cloud that comes when he whistles," she told Weaver. "Remi says we don't know if I can learn to do magic or other things yet. I do have one trick, but it makes me very tired."
Weaver Hale
the Scythe
Warden of the Citadel

Change author:
Weaver
but I am the river;
Weaver smiles slightly at the questions Seren asks. They are good questions, and Weaver can’t answer them all, but the prompt worked to get her mind spinning. This was the sort of thing her mother would do all the time, challenge the preconceptions that her children had and teach them to consider all the options. ”Would you be mad, if someone stole your things?” she asks, letting the girl think about it for herself.

”They will probably fight, as things often come to fighting.” It was a shame, really. She knew how to fight, but still, she would have enjoyed a world of peace. Weaver takes a small dagger from her waist. It is a thin thing, the blade short, almost child-sized. She holds the blade out for Seren to see. ”What do you know of fighting?” she asks, pausing a moment to let the girl answer.

”I cannot answer your other questions so easily. It is, in theory, wrong to steal from others. Yet, if you are starving, is it wrong to take food you need? Some would say yes, though I find I am not sure. To steal back is still to steal, yet it was yours in the first place. The world is often full of unclear answers.” Weaver gives the truth, unwilling to dumb something down for the child or make it more friendly. Children are smart, they deserve the truth, and they deserve to learn what the world will throw at them. Perhaps not all at once, and with just a bit of a candy coating when it can be helped, but only a bit.

She smiles as the girl asks about coming to Halo. ”Of course you can, if you father will bring you. You should not travel alone. Not yet, anyway. It is dangerous everywhere, but particularly from the portal in Halo to the Citadel. It is a long and cold journey, and I would not want you to get hurt.”

Weaver chuckles as the girl says she is not a pirate yet, her smile warm. ”Why do you wish to be a pirate?” she asks, curious what the girl thinks she knows of them. It is not a bad thing to be, necessarily. Many of them were pirates, in one way or another, though not all sailed the seas and stole treasure in the form of gold. Some served drinks and stole information.

”Oh?” she says, gaze settling on the blue-eyed girl for a moment. ”May I ask what your trick is?”
Seren Taliesin

Change author:
Seren
Plenty of people would have balked at the barrage of questions, but not Weaver. The woman answered them each in turn, and Seren was made to think again, which really was a very pleasant way to spend the time. She forgot to look for more ships, as her attention focused solely on Weaver.

Would she be mad? The child thought of the few possessions she claimed as her own. Rocks and flowers, seashells and bird feathers. If someone took them? She shook her head. "If someone needs my treasures thy can have them," she answered with deep sincerity, the generous nature of her little soul on full display.

"Daddy says fighting is not for fun, and you can get hurt. Sunjata's Slagveld is for training to fight, to be prepared if it have to happen." She looked at the knife with wide eyes. It wasn't exactly like the ones Sunjata carried, but it looked very sharp. "I told daddy I wanted to train too, but he did not sound very happy."

The other answers were... not really answers. The girl couldn't find anything to really say about it, but her silence was as good an indication that she was mulling it over all the same. Good and bad were difficult concepts, and there didn't seem to be a hard line to draw.

She brightened when her modest request to come visit was granted. Seren nodded sagely, knowing full well that she wasn't supposed to go anywhere on her own. "I will ask daddy! I do not mind being cold."

Why did she want to be a pirate? That took some thinking too."Pirates are strong and brave and can go anywhere they want! They are good at fighting and at finding treasure, and no one can tell them what to do."  

Only when it came to her trick, did the girl hesitate. "It does not have a name yet," she said, troubled. "I do not know how to explain it. I can show you?" But she waited, looking expectantly at her newest friend. Waiting for permission
Weaver Hale
the Scythe
Warden of the Citadel

Change author:
Weaver
but I am the river;
She smiles as the girl answers, kindness weaved into the answer so fully that Weaver almost doesn’t believe it. But then again, the kindness of a child is a true thing, a rare thing, and she finds herself cherishing the moment. ”What if they did not need your things, and simply took them for fun? Both possibilities happen.” Some part of Weaver hates to ruin the innocence, and she does her best to leave room for it to stay there along with the truth. Because it was true, both things happened in the world. For a moment, Weaver wonders how her mother did this all the time. It is a hard line to walk.

”And your daddy is right. Fighting is not for fun, and you can get hurt. But you should know how to protect yourself, so long as you agree not to fight simply because you can. It is a great responsibility.” Weaver looks to Seren seriously for a moment, and then down at the blade, holding it out for the little girl to take if she wishes. ”I will show you how, if you wish. Just a few basics.” Because she cannot help but remember the warning Remi had given her of Torchline, and yet, here was a child alone. Perhaps she did not need to worry about earthly dangers. Perhaps Safrin would intervene, and yet, Weaver does not know well enough to rest in that bit of speculation.

Weaver chuckles when the child says she doesn't mind being cold. ”It is very cold. Colder than the coldest you have ever been.” Probably. Maybe it was freezing wherever she came from. ”You should come when the seasons turn back toward Longheat. Now is not such a good time to come. It is nearly Deepfrost for us, more so than the rest of the island.”

Listening to the child’s enthusiasm for pirates, there is such a wonderful childlike innocence beneath it that Weaver finds herself smiling pleasantly, eyes drifting back out to the boats they had been watching earlier. ”You can be strong and brave now, you know. You do not have to be a pirate to be those things. Though perhaps you do have to listen to your parents and what they tell you to do,” she says, turning back to the girl and giving her a little wink. Someday that too, would change, though there was always someone somewhere trying to give orders.

”I would love to see, if it will not tire you out too much,” she says, giving permission, but not wanting to ask too much of the girl.
Seren Taliesin

Change author:
Seren
Seren considered again, but shook her head a second time. "Then I am happy that they had fun!" she told Weaver. Kind, gentle... strangely selfless for a child.

Her eyes widened as the knife was held out to her. Seren took it reverently in her small hands, and found the weight of it to be sobering. Just like Weaver's serious request for a promise. The girl thought about it, considering the implications of not fighting for fun, and then she bobbed her little head in a serious nod. "I promise, I will only fight when I really have to." It had the feeling of a vow.

Handing the blade back, and nodding consent to wait to visit later, she pushed herself up to stand on the rock beside Weaver.

"Okay, I will show. Look at this!" Seren let the pulse of weightlessness erupt from her, encompassing everything within five feet of herself. Weaver would feel it, and as Seren took a leap off the rock, her little form drifted lightly towards the ground, like she weighed no more than a feather.

Her feet connected with the ground... and the feeling was gone again, the weight of gravity settling back both over herself and her friend.

Turning, Seren's expression was eager, waiting for a reaction.
Weaver Hale
the Scythe
Warden of the Citadel

Change author:
Weaver
but I am the river;
She smiles, chuckling slightly at Seren’s answer. ”You are kinder than most then. Keep that about you.” Weaver hopes it will stay, that the world won’t take from the girl the kindness that is currently within her heart. Yet she cannot help but think of Korbin, and what the world has done to her bright little brother. He is a dark thing now; lost and hurting.

Seren takes the knife, and Weaver lets her examine it as she will. The little girl seems to understand the implications of fighting well enough, and she agrees not to fight for fun. It was a vow that would bend over time. Weaver sparred for fun all the time, but a spar is not really what she is referring to right now. She means a true fight, the kind where people get hurt with more than just an easily healed scratch.

Seren hands the blade back, and Weaver takes it, sticking it back into the holsters along her belt for now as Seren hops off the rock. Weaver can feel the change, everything about her body feeling lighter in that moment. Her hair floats above her shoulder slightly, her limbs feel like they are in water. As Seren hops, she drifts back toward the ground like a feather.

Weaver grins back at the eager child, suitably impressed. ”That seems like quite impressive magic to me,” she says. Magic worthy of a demi-god, certainly. It was the sort of thing Abandoned could not do; at least not without quite a lot of other magics to support it. Weaver slips off the rock and comes to stand. She holds out a hand, and flames jump to life in her palm. ”I think your trick might be cooler,” she says with a playful grin.