time heals everything
For Korbin
the Firebrand
Headmaster / Grand Healer

Age: 29 | Height: 5' 11' | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 11 - Strg: 32 - Dext: 33 - Endr: 35 - Luck: 39 - Int:
ASTRA - Mythical - Luxere
Played by: Crooked Offline
Change author:
MP: 3415
LOREN
Even in the midst of grief, life went on. Loren still had work to do, which is why he was in Snowcloak. A heavy bag was on his back and Astra was by his side. He browsed the stalls, occasionally stopping to chat with a shopkeeper he knew. With them, he would often exchange vials or jars of medicine. In return he'd get raw materials for the infirmary or other useful items.

Before too long, about half of his supplies had been exchanged for ingredients in the like. He paused to take a break, setting his pack on the ground and stretching his back. His luxere companion trotted up and he petted her idly, expression sad.

Korbin
But don’t be weary if it’s broken
Families are like that—
they’re split up and always torn.
Korbin Hale
Healer / Bartender

Age: 25 | Height: 6'3in (190 cm) | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 4 - Strg: 19 - Dext: 17 - Endr: 20 - Luck: 9 - Int:
Played by: Chan Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
KORBIN
And round about his home the glory
That blushed and bloomed,
Agreeing to help with the Kraai had landed Korbin with a whole new list of tasks that needed doing. Aside from the daily household chores he usually did, there was the business required to get the new bar established and running. He had to admit his sister had done a good job in acquiring the necessary goods and contacts, but news about the new endeavor was traveling, and not everyone was pleased. There was the owner of the old tavern whose feathers were ruffled, food vendors and long established trade partners of his who wondered why the Hales suddenly turned to someone else, and Korbin took it upon himself to sort it all out.

His face was a well known one around the market and the town. Everyone knew the siblings, of course, and it wasn't hard to set things right... it was just a pain in his ass, and he still hadn't fully accepted the necessity of it himself.

Still, none of his true feelings showed. For all intents and purposes, the young man that made his rounds among the stalls was bright and cheerful, his smile charming and the tonge sharp as he exchanged quips and friendly insults, all while bartering and trading. He carried no bags, because there was no need for it; everyone knew where to go to get what they wanted, and where to leave what he'd purchased. Snowcloak was a small place, and everyone knew everyone.

Except... it wasn't true anymore. Outlanders had started to trickle into the community in a steady stream, and even here they made their presence known. Spotting an unfamiliar face, the blue-eyed raven boy paused on his way between one errand and the next, and regarded the stranger. A bit older than him, weedy looking and with a demure expression that almost matched how he felt on the inside.

But it was the tame luxere that caught his eye, and ultimately made him approach, hands tucked deep into his pockets and an easy grin on his face.

"Hello, stranger. How much for that luxere?" Even if it was dwarfed, there was a lot of meat on it, and would save both him and Weaver the trouble of hunting until well after LongNight.
Is but a dim-remembered story
Of the old time entombed.
the Firebrand

Age: 29 | Height: 5' 11' | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:
LOREN
Loren eyed the young man who approached, though more out of a lack of anything better to do than any real curiosity. When the stranger spoke, however, the healer's eyes narrowed. His expression already dark, grew annoyed and more than a bit cold. "You mean my companion?" His words were short and clipped, and his nostrils flared.

Obviously Astra didn't like either the other man's question or the Launceleyn's mood. She crept behind his back, peering out with fearful eyes at the younger man. "Sorry. She's priceless." Voice still chilly, he reached back and gave her a reassuring scratch behind her ears. However, he didn't take his eyes off the stranger.
Families are like that—
Korbin Hale
Healer / Bartender

Age: 25 | Height: 6'3in (190 cm) | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:
KORBIN
Well that was not exactly how he'd expected things to go. The youth was taken aback both by the hostility and the declaration of the animal being a companion. He took a step back, and looked the luxere over again, trying to adjust to the idea.

"My bad, I had no idea," he said, the apology genuine in his voice. "No offense meant. It's just..." He chewed on it, reaching up to rub his neck while trying to find a nice way to put it. "Not many would try to bond to a luxere, out here. You know, since they're a food staple. Not trying to tell you what to do, but maybe you should tie a ribbon on her, or something. To avoid mistakes."

He shrugged, and turned to leave. If the animal wasn't up for trade, then he had no other reason to stay and chat. The man didn't exactly look interested in company.
the Firebrand

Change author:
LOREN
Loren's eyes stayed narrow, and his expression stayed relatively hostile at the younger man's words. "Can't say none taken." It was as curt as everything else he'd said so far.

When Astra let out an indignant bleat, the healer placed a soothing hand on her head. "I didn't bond her out here. Don't worry, though, I stay by her side when we're here. Keeps the poachers away." He grinned, though it was more like baring his teeth than anything else.

Then it faded and he titled his head to one side. "You have no idea who I am, do you?" That was honestly slightly surprising, given that he was currently the most visible face of the government in Halo besides his brother.
Families are like that—
Korbin Hale
Healer / Bartender

Change author:
KORBIN
Korbin merely shrugged, seeing no reason to try and soothe the frazzled nerves of this person. The look he gave the animal was perhaps a bit more apologetic, but only slightly. He had fully intended to slaughter it for the meat, after all, and did not expect to be forgiven.

He had already begun to stalk off when the comment made him pause and turn back, a brow raised at both the words and the tone of surprise. "I don't have a habit of keeping track of outlanders," he said, the barytone of his voice as smooth as the words were pointed. There was a look of faint amusement on the young man's face. "Am I supposed to know you? Some heroic deed performed in aid of my homeland, perhaps?"

There was an emphasis on my, and the smile on Korbin's face grew a bit sharper.
the Firebrand

Change author:
LOREN
Unsurprisingly, Loren's question halted the stranger in his tracks. However, when the younger man called out the healer's outside status, he snorted. "Fair enough." It still came out more than a bit grumpy, though he nodded in acknowledgement.

Shrugging at the stranger's questions and amusement, the healer rubbed his hands together idly. "Supposed to? Probably." His eyes narrowed slightly at the emphasis in the other man's voice. "That you don't is a testament to you for not needing my services."

The Launceleyn slipped one hand into his pocket. The other stroked Astra, whose fear was slowly sliding in to embarrassment. "I imagine you'd just accuse me of nepotism if you knew." That was equal parts sad and self-deprecating. Giving the stranger a rueful smile, he picked up his bag and began moving back towards the market.
Families are like that—
Korbin Hale
Healer / Bartender

Change author:
KORBIN
The implication that Korbin should know this person was annoying. It had the hallmarks of a taunt, whether intended or not, to the young man who prided himself in knowing the ins and outs of his home intimately. His other eyebrow followed suit when the fellow seemed ready to slink off without any form of introduction to follow the arrogant comment. All talk and no show, then. He rolled his eyes.

"Nothing wrong with family helping each other out. It's only a problem if you're incompetent and keeping others from doing the job better."

He was not the kind to offer comfort, and that kind of self-deprication - lacking any humor - was boring. Korbin started to head off again... scowling, when it appeared they were headed in the same general direction.  

Well, wasn't this awkward.
the Firebrand

Change author:
LOREN
Loren slowed then stopped at the younger man's comment. Slowly, the healer turned to face the stranger, raising his eyebrows. "Is that so?" Falling silent, the Launceleyn studied the other man's features for a moment. "Rest assured I am the best person for the job." There was no pride or smugness to Loren's tone, just a simple statement of fact.

Holding out his hand for the younger man to shake, the healer's expression didn't change. He was still clearly sad and slightly annoyed, but his anger had dissipated. "Loren Launceleyn, Grand Healer. And you are?" Astra still pressed herself against his back, staring at the stranger with wide eyes.
Families are like that—
Korbin Hale
Healer / Bartender

Change author:
KORBIN
What was this, a staccato puppet show? Starting and stopping, starting and stopping, the man seeming unable to decide if he wanted to chat or not. He was sure confident enough, judging by the statement. Korbin looked down at the offered hand, his easy expression tightening into something far sharper as a name was offered. Still smiling, but hardly impressed.

"Ah, right. The brother of the self-proclaimed Warden. What a pleasure." He ignored the hand Loren held out, and made a slight bow that was very flourid and quite mocking, lights dancing in his eyes that were not wholly out of mirth.

"I'm Korbin Hale." He straightened, chin raised with a quiet confidence that suggested he didn't need a title to have a place here. Didn't have one either, for that matter - his presence was as natural as the snow and the ice.

A group of young hunters milled past, a few of them shouting greetings to him. Korbin's smile slipped back in place as he grinned at them, a hand coming up in acknowledgement. Only when they were gone did he turn back to Loren, and looked the man up and down. Not quite dismissive, but without any real interest either.

"Healer, eh? Can't imagine you have a lot to do."
the Firebrand

Change author:
LOREN
Loren's expression was flat as he regarded Korbin. "The one and only." Tone deceptively light, the healer simply pulled his hand back as the other man bowed.

When the other man revealed his name, the Launceleyn raised his eyebrows. "Weaver's younger brother?" There was a great deal of emphasis on the word younger. Still, he swept into a mocking bow of his own, just slightly deeper and held just slightly longer than Korbin's.

Straightening up, the Launceleyn's eyes flicked to the hunters then back to the other man. "Can't imagine you'd be right." Loren crossed his arms, just as unimpressed as Korbin was. "And what do you do?"
Families are like that—
Korbin Hale
Healer / Bartender

Change author:
KORBIN
His jaw tightened. Why was he not surprised that his sister had made herself familiar with these people already? "The one and only," he parroted the sentence, with a grim bite to the words - he didn't know how much this person knew about the family circumstances, and didn't care to fill him in. Dark blue eyes narrowed at the bow, trying to determine the intent behind it. Was the man picking a fight? Jesting? On the defensive? He was usually good at reading others, but these outsiders never reacted the way they should.  

"Oh, you know. Survive, grind, eke out a living. Got roped into helping with my sister's new bar." He didn't feel like going into details about that either. "Not everyone eat off the labor of others." Like you Palace people, he refrained from saying out loud.
the Firebrand

Change author:
LOREN
"Mmmmm." Loren hummed a noncommittal sound, though he was clearly amused by something. "So what I'm hearing is you drifted from one thing to another until your sister hooked you up with a job." Narrowing his eyes, he gave Korbin an almost smug look. "That's alright. Nothing wrong with helping family out." Indeed, the healer legitimately didn't judge the other man for that.

Nodding at Korbin's statement, the Launceleyn just shrugged off his pack, not rising to the other man's jibes. Rummaging inside, he pulled out three smaller pouches. Inside each was a small medical kit: bandages, a needle and thick thread, and some medicines, disinfectants and something for the pain. Loren held them out for Korbin. "It's true. Here. One for you, one for your sister, and one for the bar."

Then the healer jerked his head at the hunters who had greeted the other man. "And feel free to let your friends know there's more where these came from. They just need to stop by the infirmary."
Families are like that—
Korbin Hale
Healer / Bartender

Change author:
KORBIN
The smile slipped from Korbin's face at the words, the tone, everything. He bristled visibly. "I pull my weight, Outlander, and I lend a hand to anyone who needs it. Especially my own sister. Call it what you want, I don't need a title to describe my worth to this community."

His gaze fell to the pouches, but the youth made no gesture to take them. Indeed, his spine stiffened at the gesture, lips curling into. "I don't need charity from you," he said, very quietly. Several passersby turned their heads, surprised to see the normally cheerful Hale brother without his smile. "Nor does anyone else here. We don't require saving."