haven't we been here before
the Firebrand
Headmaster / Grand Healer

Age: 29 | Height: 5' 11' | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 11 - Strg: 32 - Dext: 33 - Endr: 35 - Luck: 39 - Int:
ASTRA - Mythical - Luxere
Played by: Crooked Offline
Change author:
MP: 3415
It was easy for Loren to get lost in his grief. Given the death of one of his best friends, the surprise of meeting his former friend's surprise demi-god daughter, and the general feeling of helplessness and loneliness he felt in Halo, he needed something to distract him or else he'd fall into a self-destructive spiral once again.

So he spent long hours in the infirmary, grinding herbs into pastes and salves, making bandages, putting together medical kits, all for a disaster he prepared for but never seemed to come to him. There were dark circles, and he tossed some leaves and roots into his mortar, then used a bit too much force in crushing them with the pestle.

Delphine
LOREN
Not quite an open book
Delphine Mountrose

Age: 30 | Height: 5'6" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 4 - Strg: 10 - Dext: 10 - Endr: 23 - Luck: 10 - Int:
POE - Regular - Galah
Played by: Vee Offline
Change author:
MP: 655
Delphine Mountrose
Forsake your loved ones, to protect yourself.
"If you keep using that much force, it'll be too fine to be any good," She had just entered the infirmary to witness the young man begin to take out some emotion on whatever he was trying to make in his mortar. She had a point; unless the recipe called for it there was no point in destroying the roots and leaves, nothing good came of that.

Her fingers were cold, though no sign of frostbite showed, but her cheeks were rosy to the point of pain. For the moment she was without her two little companions, though the bright pink bird was perched in her hair, peering around the room from his makeshift nest. She'd promised him a more tropical climate the next time they ventured out into the world. He was, after all, a tropical bird.

Coughing quietly into her elbow, she wandered closer to the man. She recognized him, of course, but he wasn't giving off vibes that said he'd prefer chitchat. "What are you making?" This world had different flora to an extent, and she was only familiar with the Hollowed Grounds and what she could find there, so the question was asked out of curiosity.

She had, after all, always enjoyed learning.
the Firebrand

Age: 29 | Height: 5' 11' | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:
Loren glanced up at the woman's voice. "You don't even know what I'm making." Sorrow made his voice more bitter than he'd intended.

Still, she was right and he sighed and he scraped the ruined paste out of the mortar, tossing it into a bucket at his feet. As he did, he took a deep breath. When he let it out, he was calmer and he glanced up at her. "How can I help you?" As he waited for her response, he added more ingredients into the mortar.

The fluffy pink bird in her hair earned a glance as well. Astra, having been napping in the corner, woke up and poked her head up from her bed in the corner. Rising to her feet, she trotted over to the woman and looked up, hoping for scratches.

His companion brought a brief smile to his lips. It faded at the stranger's question. "Just a numbing cream. A slight painkiller" He ground the herbs with the appropriate amount of force this time.
LOREN
Not quite an open book
Delphine Mountrose

Age: 30 | Height: 5'6" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
POE - Regular - Galah
Change author:
Delphine Mountrose
"It doesn't matter what you're making, if you grind it into dust." She replied, casually, oblivious to the bitter tone.

Delphine was quiet, studying the man, before he asked her a question. She responded cheerfully, "Maybe I can help you. I did used to be a healer, after all." She didn't directly answer his question, because she was not fond of asking for or accepting help. She'd rather help was offered.

When the man's companion found its way to her, she leaned to pet her, before returning her attention to the character in front of her. "I always thought you'd continue to work in a library somewhere, Loren." She'd ran into the man briefly, while searching out a book on some herbal remedy or another. It was amusing to run into him here, though he didn't seem to recognize her. Perhaps that was for the better, Zariah hadn't been too happy with her presence.
the Firebrand

Change author:
Raising his eyebrows, he set the pestle down. Leaning on his palms, he studied her for a long moment. "Maybe it's healing dust." It came out in a half-mutter.

Frowning a bit, brow furrowed, he studied her. "I'm sorry, who are you?" He crossed his arms, and sent a mental command for Astra to retreat a bit, which she did. She came to stand by his side, and nudged him. Still the fact that his luxere companion hadn't been afraid of the mystery woman boded well for her intentions.

When she said his name, though, his eyes narrowed suspiciously. "I didn't tell you my name. And almost no one here knows I used to work in a library." His tone came low and dangerous.
LOREN
Not quite an open book
Delphine Mountrose

POE - Regular - Galah
Change author:
Delphine Mountrose
Delphine hummed thoughtfully, contemplating the idea of 'healing dust', completely missing his question about who she was. The idea was intriguing, the sort of idea she would have rushed to put into use back ho--no, Northaven was not home anymore. Though neither was the cave she'd recently deserted.

When his body language changed to suggest suspicion, she realized he must have asked who she was; and that was confirmed by his statement. "Oh. Sorry, Delphine." She'd had to bite her tongue from adding 'Rowan' to the end of that. She wasn't a Rowan anymore; she was just a wandering mountain rose, recklessly trying to understand a world she had isolated herself from until recently. "You used to help me research."

She wasn't too bothered that the man didn't recognize her; in fact when she'd darted into hiding with her children, she had hoped to go forgotten. The less people who remembered her, the better. At least, that had been her motto for most of her life in this world, but not any longer.
the Firebrand

Change author:
The name was familiar to Loren, and his eyes widened. "Delphine?" Immediately his suspicious posture relaxed. However, it was replaced immediately by surprise. "I didn't know you were in Halo. Or Caido even." Indeed, seeing her here, in his infirmary of all places, was quite a shock.

Astra, of course, was quite curious about the woman. Trotting up, his luxere examined Delphine and the fluffy bird in her hair. Bleating excitedly, Astra gazed up at Delphia, practically begging for a scratch.

For his part, the Launceleyn had set down his pestle and was just staring at the woman. "How long have you been here?" What he meant by here was deliberately left ambigious.
LOREN
Not quite an open book
Delphine Mountrose

POE - Regular - Galah
Change author:
Delphine Mountrose
Delphine pursed her lips at his surprise, though he did seem to relax and that made her feel nice. It wasn't like she was, in any way, threatening. Certainly not physically. "Uhm... I've been in Caido since, well..." She was counting in her head, "...The girls are five now, they were three when we came over." She held up two fingers, "Maybe closer to three now?"

She rubbed her cheeks with her hands, before she began to pet the strange animal. Similar in appearance to a reindeer... but not quite right, though nothing here was right by her old life's standards. "I've only just arrived in Halo." She admitted, studying the creature. After a moment she inquired, "What is this animal?"

Poe, in her hair, was finally squirming his way free to explore, which led to him simply gliding to the desk to hop around and peck curiously at the things gathered there.
the Firebrand

Change author:
Loren's brow furrowed at Delphia's words. "Two years?" Fingers drumming on the worktable, he tilted his head to one side. "That's as long as me and the first arrivals from Northaven." Frowning slightly, he put his hands on his hips. "Where did you and the girls end up?" There were equal parts curiosity and concern in his voice.

Glancing at Astra, he smiled faintly, though it was soon overtaken by a sad expression. "That's Astra, my companion, so I'd appreciate it if you could refrain from referring to her as that creature. She's a luxere." He pressed his lips together. "I'm surprised you haven't seen any in Halo yet. They're quite common here." However, he shook his head slightly, knowing that was unimportant.

As the pink bird flew to the Launceleyn's desk, he held out his finger for it to hop on. "And who's this?" It came out quietly, without much inflection. Even the wonder at meeting a new creature was gone from his life, at least for now.
LOREN
Not quite an open book
Delphine Mountrose

POE - Regular - Galah
Change author:
Delphine Mountrose
Delphine furrowed her brow at the question, regarding where she had ended up. She puffed her cheeks out in thought, humming quietly. "Well, uhm. We started out with the people from Northaven." She admitted, tucking a strand of hair behind her ear. "We didn't... I didn't feel safe in a group with my children." She still wasn't sure how she felt about missing their infant years, they had just been babies before coming to Caido. "So I found a cave, and... yeah. That's where we've been, The Hollowed Grounds are... the only place I've really gotten to know." She shrugged, indicating that was it. She had hidden in a cave for the last two years, and she was not exactly proud of that fact. At least she was true to who she was; she'd always been anxious about going to new places.

Her attention returned to Astra, and the name made her sullen, but she nodded slowly. "She's beautiful." To his comment about the luxere being common in Halo, she admitted, "I, ah... did not spend much time admiring Halo, just yet. I've only just arrived, a few hours ago?" His attention turned to Poe, who eagerly hopped onto the offered finger.

"Poe." The bird crooned in response to his name, fluffing himself up.
the Firebrand

Change author:
There was no judgment in Loren's face. Indeed, the look he gave her was entirely sympathetic and understanding. "I know a little about hiding away from the world. In caves and other wild places even." His voice was soft, and more than a bit guilty, and his eyes were sad.

Nodding at Delphia's comment about Astra, he smiled faintly again. "She is." His companion let out a happy bleat, and rubbed against the woman's side, clearly having decided they were friends. "I suppose I should welcome you then."

Still holding out a finger for the bird if it wanted to hop on, the Launceleyn leaned forward to address the creature properly. "It's nice to meet you Poe."
LOREN
Not quite an open book
Delphine Mountrose

POE - Regular - Galah
Change author:
Delphine Mountrose
Delphine shrugged, murmuring, "It doesn't work for long," she admitted the words, even though there was a bitter taste in her mouth. "Hiding isn't living, it... took me a while to realize that." She had only recently come to that realization.

"I sort of thought, well... maybe if I hid, eventually I'd end up back in Northaven..." She grinned at Astra, running her hand along the luxere's side, "...and then it just became the norm." She fell quiet for a moment, studying the luxere. "Astra never showed up?" She didn't know how else to ask that question, but it wasn't too far out of the realm of possibilities; why else would he have named his companion after the girl?

He welcomed her, and she offered a smile, watching Poe. The Galah fluffed his feathers one more time, before he stepped onto Loren's finger. He rubbied against the man's hand, crooning his appreciation. "He likes you. That's... not surprising, he likes everyone."
the Firebrand

Change author:
Loren nodded. "Me too." It came out softly, more to himself than to Delphine.

"And now you're here." However, he found the neutral mask he used to wall off his emotions slide into place at her question. "No she didn't." His tone was even, if a bit distant.

Glancing up from Poe, the Launceleyn raised his eyebrows. "That's not exactly a compliment." Lifting his hand, he peerd at the fluffy pink bird. As he did, his subconscious began to send tendrils of concern through his mind once more. "Apologies, but clearly my memory is lacking. Other than research, did I know you from anything?" He reached up with the finger of his other hand to stroke the bird's feather's idly. However, he kept a sharp eye on the woman. Astra, sensing his unease, trotted back to his side.
LOREN
Not quite an open book
Delphine Mountrose

POE - Regular - Galah
Change author:
Delphine Mountrose
Delphine hummed quietly, "Oh, you know me from... hm. Well most of your family hated me." She shrugged, "Zariah still hates me." She shifted her weight, studying Astra in thought.

"You probably should hate me too, really. I think... we went outside of Northaven together, with Ronin... and others. And I'd lied to my husband to go on that trip, and wouldn't heal people..." She waved a hand, dismissively.

"Or maybe from the fact I pissed off Zariah for marrying Bellamy... mmn, pissed off Neron too, I think..." Her record with the Launceleyn's was not a good one. Poe left Loren's presence to resume his perch atop her head, and she chirped, "I guess you want me to leave now?"