A scalpel's kiss is sweeter than you think
Isla Lockwood
the Remedy
Medic

Age: 32 | Height: 5'7 | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 4 - Strg: 26 - Dext: 26 - Endr: 28 - Luck: 26 - Int:
Played by: Honey Offline
Change author:
MP: 3061

They found her at dusk, and brought her in shortly after; still hopeful, Isla imagined, that there might be something they could do for her. Alas, she had been dead for some time, but Isla assured them that she would take care of her. A Natural or an Outlander, she couldn't be sure - her clothing looked native, but the longer they were in this place, the less that mattered.

The infirmary was mostly empty but for those patients who needed to be there overnight, and for the first time since arriving Isla thought she actually had the manpower to do one final thing for the girl that would perhaps benefit the rest of the Sanctuary. Because this was no ordinary death - no, she had perished at the barrier, out there for too long. Isla had heard it would kill you, inevitably, but she couldn't point to how.

It was about time that changed.

Standing in the ward, she was making her final checks before starting to roll up her sleeves and prepare her tools.

Isla
the flesh is weak
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Age: 31 | Height: 5'11 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 15 - Strg: 68 - Dext: 60 - Endr: 100 - Luck: 93 - Int: 3
ORIA - Mythical - Spriggan (Ghost)
Played by: Odd Offline
Change author:
MP: 3059

It was perhaps later than Remi should have come by, but sleep had eluded him these days and he was almost sure that Isla would still be up. She had patients after all and though he didn't know a good deal about the healer, something told him that she probably didn't wile away her hours sleeping when she could be doing something more productive.

The soft glow from the lights within the infirmary told him his suspicions were correct.

In his pockets he had a number of tools he'd made for the medic based on some of the specifications she'd given him. None of them were magical like the numbing balm, but like Remi, Isla had gone her entire life without magic and the alchemist knew that she was incredibly capable without it.

Knocking gentle on the door-frame, Remi peered into what was probably some sort of operating theatre. The smell and the lack of life-supporting equipment told the alchemist everything he needed to know about the 'patient' on her bed. "Knock knock." He chimed with a bright smile. Reaching into his pocket he removed the various tools he'd made for her.

REMI
So come on, get higher, loosen my lips, faith and desire and the swing of your hips
Just pull me down hard and drown me in love
Speaks with a thick Italian accent.
Force and magic can be used against Remi without permission.
Isla Lockwood
the Remedy
Medic

Age: 32 | Height: 5'7 | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:

Turning at the sound of the voice, so light-hearted and accompanied with a bright smile she would have been glad to see on any other day, Isla was uncharacteristically sombre in the nod she responded with. "I'm so sorry, Remi - this work arrived unexpectedly. You may want to come back another time..." Because she couldn't imagine he would particularly want to be there for an autopsy, though she had been wrong before. With a sigh, she glanced back at the girl on the table.

"I don't suppose you recognise her, do you? The people who brought her in don't know her... I don't even have her name. I worry who might be out there looking for her at this hour, is all." Pursing her lips, Isla finished her preparations and approached the table. "She died at the barrier," she said softly. "Out there for too long. I was hoping I might find out what happened to her. What the barrier did to her."

Isla
the flesh is weak
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Age: 31 | Height: 5'11 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:

Expecting to see Isla as buoyant as she normally was, Remi's expression immediately fell as she turned to address him. Eyes falling towards the body, the alchemist's forehead crinkled with confusion as his head tilted slightly to the side. If he had thought he was intruding he would have apologized and excused himself immediately. As it was though, with the body appearing to be entirely lifeless, Remi couldn't imagine anything time sensitive about Isla's work, and thus nothing that his presence might interrupt or delay.

Stepping inside, Remi's pale eyes washed over the young face. His lips twitched ever so slightly as a breath caught in his throat. Immediately without thinking his hand rushed to her face to brush away an errant strand of air, eyes wide with surprise and —

—but no. It wasn't the veterinarian. Exhaling in a relieved woooosh, Remi shook his head slightly. "No, I do not I'm afraid." He replied, partially glad that he didn't, but also not, since it meant he couldn't offer the information to the medic.

"Ah!" Remi exclaimed with rather inappropriate excitement. He had wanted to know what it was the barrier did as well. Having only heard a bit from Rory and experiencing a faint buzz once the first time he went sort of near it, the alchemist had been keen to know the properties of the barrier that seemed to keep everyone enclosed for so long. "You will be able to find that out, just by looking at her?" He asked naively, of course not realizing that Isla meant to perform an autopsy.

REMI
So come on, get higher, loosen my lips, faith and desire and the swing of your hips
Isla Lockwood
the Remedy
Medic

Change author:

Her eyes on the body before them, Isla had not seen Remi's face fall unfortunately, and she stood aside for him as he approached the body. A sigh left her lips at his confirmation that he didn't know her, Isla nodding to him. "I am both glad and disappointed about that," she confessed, offering him a small smile and circling around to stand at the other side of the table, where her tools were. Honestly, she had almost expected him to want to be out of there as soon as possible, what with the dead person and all, but she was hardly complaining about the company.

His excitement, indeed, caused a little more life to bloom into her smile. "Er..." she began in response to his question. "Well, yes. But not by looking at the outside of her," she said, motioning to the tools laid out on the small wheeled table beside her. Speaking of which, her eyes flickered to what he had taken out of his pockets. "Are those for me, perchance?"

Isla
the flesh is weak
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:

For one as clever as Remi could be, his ignorance could come across as childishly adorable. The expression writ on his face as Isla mentioned that they wouldn't be looking at the outside of her was one of silent puzzlement. Immediately his mind wondered if she had some device for seeing through bodies, or if there was some other means by which one could find out the cause of death.

Grinning, Remi nodded. Though he didn't know precisely the purpose of all the tools that Isla had asked for, he had made them to her specifications as best he could. Which given Remi's dedication, was quite precise. "Yes. Sorry they were not done when you came to see me." He apologized with a wry smile, placing the tools down on the wheeled-table that the rest of her implements were on.

REMI
Isla Lockwood
the Remedy
Medic

Change author:

Isla blinked at Remi at his befuddled expression, smiling despite herself and the admittedly gory situation she was about to embark upon. "I am going to perform an autopsy, Remi. I will make an incision here, here and here..." So saying, she pointed on the body and made a rough Y shape. "Then I will need to remove the sternum to expose the chest cavity." Isla motioned to the girl's breastbone, before glancing back at Remi. "We might get some idea, then, about what caused her death in the outskirts."

Her eyes lit up as he placed the tools down, Isla examining each of them carefully and looking very impressed indeed. "Thank you so much," she murmured. "These are perfect, Remi. I... well. I will need to begin shortly, so I understand if you would like to leave now."

Isla
the flesh is weak
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:

Titling his head, he looked down at the woman's torso with raised brows. Colour flooded his cheeks as he realized what an idiot he'd been. Running a hand through his curls he gave Isla a sheepish look. "Ahh, forgive my ignorance. As a hawk and a lion I am not particularly careful about how I open up my prey."

Happy that she was happy with what he provided, he nibbled his lip slightly as she indicated she was about to begin. "May I stay? I can assure you I will not get into your way, or your light." Backing up slightly with his hands raised to indicate how little interference he'd be doing, he gave the medic a hopeful smile. "Growing up on the road seeing men and women meet an untimely end under questionable circumstances is nothing new. Though I will understand if you would rather have the room to yourself."

REMI
Isla Lockwood
the Remedy
Medic

Change author:

"Ignorance need only be apologised for if you have already been given the knowledge once." Isla smiled and winked at him. "I have nothing to forgive - and I suppose that is true enough. And you're not trying to find out what killed your prey, given the fact that it is prey." Shrugging, she moved about to lay out the necessary equipment and take up a long strip of cloth to use as a mask around her nose and mouth. The girl hadn't been dead long, so it was still likely to be a little... er, messy.

His request to stay came as a complete surprise, Isla tying off the cloth and smiling to him, though he'd only be able to see by the way the corners of her eyes creased. "Certainly, you can stay. Some company would be nice, other than this young lady. And I never get any decent responses from the ones on the table. Would you like me to explain what I'm doing as I go?" As they spoke she began to work on cutting away the girl's clothing.

Isla
the flesh is weak
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:

Though Isla's reply was a bit more philosophical than he was used to, he met her words with an appreciative grin. As a commoner and the son of a drunk, Remi was used to being criticized for not knowing things he couldn't possibly have known. As such, apology and submission came easily and even
as Isla brushed his ignorance away, he still felt a bit sheepish for not putting the pieces together sooner.

The way the cloth slightly muffled Isla's words made Remi chuckle under his breath. "I would appreciate that." Moving to stand at her side so that his body would not cast a shadow over her work, Remi let his eyes shift to those of a hawk. Though his vision at close range like this was not as impressive as it was for seeing over great distances, it was still better than his normal eyes were. And at least this way he could continue to speak to her.

"I can now see why you were so adamant on everything being sharp." He said appreciatively already thinking ahead a few steps to the incisions that the medic would soon be making.

REMI
Isla Lockwood
the Remedy
Medic

Change author:

"Indeed. If my tools had trouble doing this sort of work because they were blunt, I dread to think of what they might do to a living person." Isla glanced sidelong at Remi, nodding as he came to stand beside her and quickly removing the rest of the young woman's clothing. Her eyes glanced along the torso, picking out the areas that would best suit her work. With that done, she picked up her scalpel and got to work.

The blade slid through the flesh like butter, and Isla knew she had Remi to thank for that. She did murmur a compliment to him, in fact, though she was visibly concentrating on the task before her. In no time at all she had made the initial cuts, explaining to Remi that she would need to pull the skin back from the ribcage and the sternum in order to remove it.

So saying, she slid the scalpel beneath one of the incisions to begin lifting it away, only to pause as blood began to well up from the pressure of it. That wasn't uncommon.

The fact that the blood was black as ink certainly was.

"That isn't normal..."

Isla
the flesh is weak
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:

Remi stared down at the young woman's body with a scientists eager eyes, but with all the politeness of someone not only trying to be respectful of the dead, but also as someone not particularly intrigued by what he saw in any other sense.

Watching as the skin parted beneath Isla's knife was like magic. The slit which appeared might as well have come from a stick of charcoal it was so seamless; though unlike Isla, Remi credited this entirely to her skill and dexterity.

As the woman seemingly began to bleed more than he would have expected, Remi tilted his head buyt said nothing. He wouldn't interrupt, and Isla said she'd narrate as she went. Even so, without any training Remi was even aware that something was amiss. "No..certainly not." Letting his nose shift to that of a lion (making his face look absolutely absurd at that moment), he inhaled deeply before recoiling slightly at the scent. Shifting back and running a hand across his nose, Remi all but gasped for air. "It has such a strange odor...almost like..." The word he was looking for was chemical, but in the sense that he meant it, it didn't really exist. The best way he could describe it was, "..burning metal? But more acrid and it smells...both rotten and diseased somehow."

REMI
Isla Lockwood
the Remedy
Medic

Change author:

Thankfully Isla was engrossed in what she was doing, so she didn't have a chance to glance at the muzzle that suddenly appeared on Remi's face (else this very serious situation might erupt into a series of giggles at any moment). Even with the sense of something terribly awry, she didn't stop in her examination, parting the skin from the ribs on both sides and peeling it right back to reveal ribcase and breastbone. The stench hit her then too, even through the cloth, and she recoiled.

The whole body was black inside. Only the stark white of the skeleton showed Isla where things ought to be, but even without removing the sternum she could see that the girl's organs were all but mulch within. Blackened, stinking and rotten but not quite, the healer stepped back from the body and shook her head. "It's as though the barrier rotted her from within," she mumbled. "I... how...?"

Isla
the flesh is weak
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:

Remi shook his head clearly just as confused. Trying to focus despite the smell, he tried to work out what might have happened. "Heat could have done that or some sort of reaction. But the barrier also makes this...humming sort of sound. You can feel it in your bones." Twitching his lips, the alchemist gave a shrug. "Perhaps it is that sort of friction that caused it? Like some sort of internal reverberation on a small enough scale to make the organs disintegrate like this?"

Peering over Isla's shoulder once again, Remi tilted his head. "Is it... is it all as thick as you would think it was going to be? I mean, if your organs did become liquid, would they be like this?"

REMI