the boys we used to be
Neron Launceleyn
the Hailstorm
Barman at the VlamVloed

Age: 29 | Height: 5'11 | Race: Ascended x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 5 - Strg: 19 - Dext: 19 - Endr: 23 - Luck: 14 - Int:
Played by: Honey Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
NERON
show me how defenceless you really are
Neron was still adjusting to this new phase in his life. Although it was unfair, truly, to call it a phase, given that it was very much permanent. Still, since the removal of his pleasure-pain centre, the Hailstorm could see the world in such beautiful clarity. And whilst he knew, when news eventually did make it out that he was no longer a strict follower of the old gods, it would have consequences, those seemed manageable compared to how his future had been progressing.

Tonight he was enjoying the sensation of the cold air on his face and his ability to see quite perfectly in the dark, walking the streets as if to sample the Citadel with brand new eyes. He still wore his customary attire, dressing as if the temperature affected him, but his body told him of any and all issues that might have arisen. And for now there were none, so Neron walked silently and thoughtfully, admiring the falling snow, the ice underfoot.
the Firebrand
Headmaster / Grand Healer

Age: 29 | Height: 5' 11' | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 11 - Strg: 32 - Dext: 33 - Endr: 35 - Luck: 39 - Int:
ASTRA - Mythical - Luxere
Played by: Crooked Offline
Change author:
MP: 3415
LOREN
After wrapping up work for the day, Loren had found himself staring at the bottles of alcohol he'd stashed in his desk. However, after one too many disapproving looks from Astra, he'd slammed the drawer shut. Sighing, he stood up and practically marched out of the Palace. He didn't even bothering bundling up against the cold, since he strangely didn't feel it much these days.

Astra trotted at his heels, bleating anxiously every now and then. It didn't help to dispel the sad and despairing look on his features. He started walking through the Citadel at random, very much looking like he was trying to escape from something. Of course, the sight of Neron, of all people, stopped the healer in his tracks.

It also caused his expression to twist into something even more ugly. "Warden. Fancy seeing you here. Or at all." It came out as chilly as the temperatures around them. Simply nodding jerkily, he made to move past his twin.
But don’t be weary if it’s broken
Families are like that—
they’re split up and always torn.
Neron Launceleyn
the Hailstorm
Barman at the VlamVloed

Age: 29 | Height: 5'11 | Race: Ascended x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
NERON
Well look who it was. Neron couldn't say he had actually seen much of Loren, between inviting his twin to the Citadel with a promise of a job and a future, to hearing that Loren had apparently marched of to Torchline in the meantime to... he wasn't sure actually. Cry and drink and bang anything that moved? Word got out. More importantly, it got back to the Warden.

"One might say the same of you, Grand Healer," he drawled, standing quietly by as his brother moved to walk by.

"Pray tell, since the last time I saw you when I helped to tuck the corpse of your lover into bed, what have I done to shove a stick up your backside?" He raised an eyebrow.
the Firebrand

Age: 29 | Height: 5' 11' | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:
LOREN
Loren couldn't help but scoff at Neron's comment. "Funny. Considering I've spent pretty much every day this season either in the infirmary, or out researching new medicines, or working with Morgan to try and disseminate medical kits to the hunters and the soldiers. Which you would know, if you'd paid any attention." Tone scornful, the healer crossed his arms. "Where have you been? Off playing in the Hollowed Ground, last I heard and saw." Raising his eyebrows, he stared at the Warden challengingly.

Scowling, the younger twin pointed an accusatory finger at the older one. "Nothing. And that's just the problem." Loren leaned forward. "So far as I can tell, you've done pretty much nothing of note since you invited me here."
Families are like that—
Neron Launceleyn
the Hailstorm
Barman at the VlamVloed

Change author:
NERON
"My, such vitriol. Something to prove, have you brother?" Neron raised his eyebrows, genuine confusion (and maybe just a bit of amusement) on his face that he had apparently bridged so much of a gap with his twin only for Loren to apparently not care about it any more. "I have been indisposed, dealing with something that ought to have been dealt with a long time ago."

He snorted quietly, and Loren might notice, if observant, that Neron left no cloud of breath in the cold night. Nothing, not even a stirring of air. "If visiting a neighbouring kingdom, through a portal that did not exist previously, counts as playing, then I quite rightly have been," he said, staring down the accusatory finger.

"And you have not once come to me to visit, ask, or complain about it," he remarked. "What is your point, Loren?"
the Firebrand

Change author:
LOREN
Loren snorted. "Not to you." Crossing his arms, he stared at Neron steadily. "And has it been dealt with? This issue that took up so much of your time?" The healer's voice came out almost disinterested.

Shaking his head slightly, he lowered his hand down to scratch Astra's head, trying to draw some calm from his companion. "And what about Halo?" Speaking sharply, which carried in the cold night air, he gestured around them. "How has that benefited this land and these people?"

Narrowing his eyes, he took a step towards the Warden. "I did. I asked for meetings, many times, and was turned away." Apparently, the guards and servants hadn't seen fit to inform the ruler of that fact.

Voice chilly and eyes glinting dangerously, the younger twin just shook his head again. "My point is, for a moment there, I thought you might actually care about me. Or someone other than yourself. Thought that maybe, just maybe, you actually wanted to try and..." His voice trailed off as his expression grew sad. "Don't worry. I've learned the error of my ways, and worked through my problems. Without you."
Families are like that—
Neron Launceleyn
the Hailstorm
Barman at the VlamVloed

Change author:
NERON
"Then I suggest you save your tongue the trouble, as most of what you have to say does seem to suggest as much," Neron drawled, a smile creeping across his face at the absurdity of it all - a smile that bared fangs. "Quite dealt with, thank you. I do not foresee any future problems with my place as Warden over Halo."

He tilted his head at Loren's pop about Halo and the Hollowed Grounds. "Well, let me see. I introduced the festival of Fiat Lux to the people, so they might have something to look forward to. That was before you joined us here at Halo, so I understand you might not have known. I also established relations with the leader of the Hollowed Grounds, ensuring that we have a staunch ally in any future proceedings. We have exchanged favours, gifts and customs. It is going rather well, all in all." He raised his eyebrows, wordlessly asking if he had met his twin's clearly high standards.

"If you were turned away by servants and guards and did not seek your brother out through any means necessary, I am afraid that is your problem Loren. No guard would have prevented me from seeing you, if I needed you." Neron's voice was cool.

"And has it ever occurred to you, brother, that perhaps you might be needed? And not the one who needs everything? That your problems were not the only ones at play?"
the Firebrand

Change author:
LOREN
"Congratulations." Loren's voice practically dripped with sarcasm. However, his natural curiosity got the better of him and he raised his eyebrows at Neron. "What posed a threat to it?"

Staying quiet as the Warden recounted his 'accomplishments', the healer just stroked Astra. When his older brother finally finished speak, the younger twin sighed. "How?" This time, he didn't sound upset. He just sounded tired, which matched his haggard appearance.

"How was I supposed to know you needed me, when you've never needed or wanted me in the past?" Spreading his arms a bit helplessly, he bit his lip. "I trusted you to reach out if you needed me. And I didn't trust that you wanted me there when I needed..." He shook his head. "It doesn't matter."
Families are like that—
Neron Launceleyn
the Hailstorm
Barman at the VlamVloed

Change author:
NERON
"You know very well what. Or who, rather." Neron murmured, his tone dropping in tandem with Loren's. The Warden was a former lawyer, after all, and he would not rise to a fight that did not seem to be presenting itself any longer. Not when there was nothing for him to gain in it. "Zariah Launceleyn is the head of the Launceleyn family. She is a master in the art of getting those beneath her under the thumb. I am - I was, rather - particularly susceptible to that form of punishment and reward."

He clenched his fists at his sides. "I would not be a puppet any longer. To anyone." Shrugging, Neron glanced away, an old and stiff awkwardness creeping upon him. "How was I supposed to ask, when I have never known how in the past?" he muttered. Both as bad as the other. How fitting. "It matters phenomenally, Loren. I'm sorry I wasn't able to be there for you. But I am here now."
the Firebrand

Change author:
LOREN
As Neron spoke, Loren just pressed his lips together. "I didn't." However, it was a feeble protest, and he looked away guiltily. Sighing, he nodded slowly. "I'm sorry. That I wasn't there to help you deal with her. Help you in general." The corners of his lips twitched up. "Especially considering she doesn't know how to deal with me."

Then he took a deep breath. "I'm glad you've found a way to escape her. Though...I'm curious how." Peering curiously at the Warden, the healer's eyes swept over his older brother.

However, the younger twin's eyes snapped up to meet Neron's. Opening his mouth, Loren fidgeted in place, then closed it. Shifting his weight from side to side awkwardly, there was a long pause before he finally spoke. "I'm here too."
Families are like that—
Neron Launceleyn
the Hailstorm
Barman at the VlamVloed

Change author:
NERON
Neron shrugged, as if to advise his brother that it was said and done now. With consequences - serious ones - but ultimately it seemed worth it so far. Neron didn't feel cold all the time any more. "Perhaps you could be of use with dealing with her in future, he said. "I have nothing personal against her, but I could not continue as we were." It would have destroyed him.

As for how, Neron gave a small smile, and nodded to his twin. "Well, since we are both here, shall we go elsewhere? Somewhere inside so you don't freeze to death?" He began to stroll back the way he had come. "I had a choice, Loren. I could kill myself, which I did consider. Or I could do what others have done... and change myself."
the Firebrand

Change author:
LOREN
Immediately, Loren nodded. "Can't promise it won't get personal. But I'll promise to do what I can." For a brief moment, the dark and sad expression cleared and he actually smiled.

Shrugging at Neron's suggestion, the healer indicated his lack of a cloak or a coat. "I appreciate your concern, but I am not at any risk from the cold." It came out with perhaps a took too much pride. Still, he gestured for the Warden to lead them on. The younger twin fell in by his brother's side.

Turning concerned eyes on Neron, Loren frowned. "I'm glad you didn't kill yourself." Facing from, his forehead creased with worry. "Changed how?"
Families are like that—
Neron Launceleyn
the Hailstorm
Barman at the VlamVloed

Change author:
NERON
"Thank you. Maybe this way we can actually start being of some use to one another." Chance would be a fine thing. Neron was not so prideful to refute that connections were important, especially ones as long lasting as that between he and his brother. Raising an eyebrow as Loren mentioned his resistance to the cold, he merely nodded; since the formation of the Arcane Academy, he had heard similar things from other members. Still, it would still make more sense to have this conversation indoors.

Heading back for the Palace, Neron fell into step with Loren. "As am I. It would have been a waste," he said on the subject of his life. Still, changed was changed. "I approached the Voice in her shrine in the Fangs. I think you can work out the rest."
the Firebrand

Change author:
LOREN
Loren let out a huff of laughter. "Maybe. Forgive me if I'm not holding my breath." Giving Neron a rueful smile, the healer rubbed a nervous hand on his thigh.

"In the interest of, you know, open communication a friend of mine died recently. So I'm...not at my best." He kept his gaze trained straight ahead, not meeting the Warden's gaze. "I'm taking better care of myself this time though." The words were spoken in a soft tone.

"That's one way to put it." The younger twin hesitated, then gave his older brother a serious look. "I would've missed you, you know. So don't you dare think about it again." Despite the heated words, Loren's tone was gently concerned.

However, when Neron mentioned visiting the Voice, the healer inspected the Warden more closely. "I see." The younger twin shrugged. "Guess we'll have to make sure there are shutters on all the windows, then." Entirely unbothered by this revelation, he just kept following his older brother to whatever destination they were aiming for.
Families are like that—