what have they got
Saiden Hali
Smuggler / Cook

Age: 33 | Height: 6' 2'' | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 5 - Strg: 15 - Dext: 17 - Endr: 20 - Luck: 17 - Int:
Played by: Crooked Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
just take your time wherever you go
After the insanity that had been the volcanic eruption, Saiden had needed to get away to physically and mentally clear his head. Sure, he'd enjoyed the attention that helping save Haulani and its people had brought him. However, he was also exhausted, and had barely had a chance to sleep; between helping the air mages clear the residual ash from the air and helping with the initial clean up efforts, he'd barely had a minute to himself.

So he'd borrowed a fishing boat, and sailed out farther than he usually did on his own. His new air magic helped with that task, though he was careful not to rely on it too much. Once he was far enough that he could no longer see the shore (or any other vessels), he brought down the sails.

Then he took out the fishing rod he'd brought. Spearing a worm on the fishhook, he cast it out into the water. That done, he settled in with the patience of a true fisherman.

Delta
Delta Ngata
Explorer

Age: 26 | Height: 5'4 | Race: Mermaid | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 2 - Strg: 10 - Dext: 13 - Endr: 13 - Luck: 14 - Int:
CLIFFORD - Regular - Hel
Played by: Oakley Offline
Change author:
MP: 700
She had an immense curiosity about life
After being told by her father to be far more careful, Delta did take it in stride. Kind of. Okay, so yeah, she wasn't going into the places he said not to and she was also not going to just swim on up to shore anymore. There weren't many places she should pick from, seeing as some of her favorite spots were now completely off limits. Rae's Fingers had always been so fun to explore, but with the lava having flown into it, it was now impossible for her to visit until her father confirmed it to be safe. So looks like she'd just have to use what she still had.

There was a typical area they saw the boats and normally, Delta would try to avoid them. The last thing she wanted was to be pricked by a stray hook or get caught in a net. Who knows what someone would do to her. But... this time it felt different. In the distance, she could see the shadow of a single boat, one that wasn't with a bunch of friends. Swimming up, she eventually saw the faint shadow of a pole. Perfect.

With that in mind, she swam to the other side of the boat, making sure to stay far away from the fishing pole. She wasn't quite ready to breach the water, but she did swim up and press her hands against the boat, trying to take this opportunity to get a good look at a boat that wasn't completely sunk.
and was constantly staring and wondering
DELTA
base by skylark
Saiden Hali
Smuggler / Cook

Age: 33 | Height: 6' 2'' | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
Saiden had spent his entire life on or near boats. So he knew them intimately, even ones that he hadn't sailed before. Given how patiently he was waiting for a fish to bite, his senses were on high alert.

Perhaps that was why he felt the faint rocking of the boat, sensed it when something brushed against it. Frowning, moving as slowly and cautiously as he could manage, he reeled in his line. Setting it down carefully, he turned at a glacial pace and tiptoed to the other side of the boat.

Peering over the edge, his eyes widened when he saw a mermaid there. However, it quickly flashed into a smile. "Hello there. You don't need to be shy."
Delta Ngata
Explorer

Age: 26 | Height: 5'4 | Race: Mermaid | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
CLIFFORD - Regular - Hel
Change author:
It seemed the fisherman was smarter than Delta expected and almost immediately took notice of her, his voice carrying down into the ocean below. Hesitantly, she swam a few feet away and finally surface, her head popping up and staring straight at him.

While her father had warned her against being too talkative with humans, he also reassured her that she could still speak with people: just with an abundance of caution. Would she even give a name? Who knows. For now, she'd at least talk to him. Seeing as she wasn't beached, she could very easily swim away if things went sour.

One thing she didn't like was that the man thought she was afraid...which she totally wasn't. "What are you doing out here all alone? Aren't you a bit far from people typically fish?" Time to see if this was a new guy to Torchline or a natural who just did things super differently.
DELTA
base by skylark
Saiden Hali
Smuggler / Cook

Change author:
Leaning his forearms on the railing of the boat, Saiden smiled as the mermaid popped up a short distance away. "Aren't you a little far away from where your people usually roam too?" He spoke in a slightly teasing tone, though not in a cruel way.

Shrugging, he looked around at the water that was empty of everyone save them. "Aye, that I am." Still smiling, he turned to face the mermaid again. "I've been around a few too many people lately. I was hoping to escape them for a bit." It didn't sound as if he minded her presence though. "What made you come check out my boat?"
Delta Ngata
Explorer

CLIFFORD - Regular - Hel
Change author:
It was a playful remark, but also a completely incorrect one. Delta wasn't one to usually correct others and act arrogant, but in this case she absolutely had a right to. "Seeing as it's our waters, nope. I am not far from home." All of the water was connected so it's kinda theirs. Kinda. She wasn't about to fight logistics and hopefully, this mysterious man wasn't going to find her father and ask the same question.

Watching the man with intensely wide eyes, Delta searched for any little action, any inclination that he may do something to her. The talk with Maru had certainly instilled a new sense of awareness. She was still going to explore, yes, but now she had to be careful. Far more careful. Still... her curiosity did get the better of her, which is why she remained there and chose to continue talking. "I cant blame you. I know sometimes I like to get away, find myself a nice place to relax. Away from the hustle and bustle... so I'd assume the same must be for you land-walkers... but I'd imagine it'd be even harder for you to catch a break." Which must be why he had to escape to the water, moving to her father's land to avoid the fellow walkers.

Was it too early to explain her motive? Most likely. "Like I said, most fishermen don't sail this far... so clearly you're here for a purpose, wanted to see what it was." There was clearly a hint of wonder in her voice, showing there was an a different motive, one that went unspoken for now.
DELTA
base by skylark
Saiden Hali
Smuggler / Cook

Change author:
Grinning at the girl's response, Saiden just shrugged. "That might be true. But the Ocean has room for all of us, so long as we respect its ways." There was an almost reverential tone to his voice.

As she revealed that she too liked some privacy, he laughed, the sound bright and cheerful. "It is at that. So I hope you don't mind that I stole away for a bit and stumbled upon your waters." He winked, though it was playful rather than flirtatious.

Nodding as she explained why she'd sought out his boat, he patted the side of it fondly. "Well I already told you my purpose. I was just seeking the comfort of the sea for a bit."
Delta Ngata
Explorer

CLIFFORD - Regular - Hel
Change author:
This man was becoming wiser by the minute. Unlike her last interaction with a land-walker, the sailor clearly had an understanding of how the waters worked. She sure hoped so if he was planning on fishing. There was a reflection of this feeling in her eyes, which opened up a bit more with slightly raised eyebrows. He was an interesting fellow, to say the least. "That it does." This wasn't only their waters, that would be too cruel. Delta was merely playing around with the boy, seeing as this was the only real place she could go, unlike him who could traverse both land and sea.

There is a thoughtful hum, clearly something playful as she looked off to the side, leaning back a small bit as she stared off into the sky. "Well... I did have kick a human out of the water on my agenda... but I guess you can stay." She smiled and looked back at him, hiding away a small smirk.

That did leave a small question, one that she absolutely had to ask. "What makes you enjoy the sea so much? Seeing as it's an escape for you, sailor." Was he a sailor as heart? Growing up on the sea with tales of other lands, daring adventures, and finding the most spectacular of treasures? Or... maybe he was just a boring walker who thought that the sea made him feel more free and he just liked getting wet.
DELTA
base by skylark
Saiden Hali
Smuggler / Cook

Change author:
Still smiling down at her, Saiden laughed at her comment about kicking him out. "Very magnanimous of you." Reaching over the side of the rail carefully, he stretched out a hand for her to shake. "I'm Saiden Hali. What's your name?"

As she asked what he enjoyed about the ocean, his smile turned into a full on grin. "What's not to enjoy?" He spread his arms to indicate everything around them, the water, the distant horizon, the blue sky with fat clouds drifting over it, the sun sparkling on the waves. "I love its beauty and its savagery. How it can take and give in equal measure." Then he shrugged. "Mostly I love it because I consider it my true home." He spoke with a true passion.
Delta Ngata
Explorer

CLIFFORD - Regular - Hel
Change author:
Should she tell the human her name? Would it be harmful? Most likely not. As long as she was vague and didn't mention who her dad was, the man would have nothing to hold against her. "You can call me Delta." Speaking of his name... something about it was ever so slightly familiar, enough to have her want to stay even longer. Who knows, maybe he was a famous sailor and that's how she knew his name or maybe he had his name etched on something she found. Whatever it was, she'd figure it out.

There was something about his answer that was intriguing. A land dweller who preferred the ocean? It was absolutely beautiful, yes, that much Delta could understand. Clearly, there was far more to his answer and she was going to figure it out. "Your true home? Were you raised on the water? I must agree, the ocean is beautiful and breathtaking... but there must be a reason why you love it so much." Her eyes were filled with wonder and curiosity, a thirst for knowledge. "Why not live out here? On a boat?"
DELTA
base by skylark
Saiden Hali
Smuggler / Cook

Change author:
Smiling, Saiden pulled his hand back when Delta made no move to shake it, clearly unbothered by that fact. "It's very nice to meet you Delta." He went back to leaning his elbows on the railing as he peered down at her.

His expression grew even more pleased as she asked about his past. "Aye, I was. Born and raised on it. Though not this one, mind you, else I would've known these were your waters." Winking playfully, he laughed as she asked about his living situation. "What makes you think I don't live on a boat?" His voice was teasing.

Then he shrugged. "Sadly, even those of us who love the Ocean have to eat and drink, and freshwater and food are mostly found on the land. For us at least."
Delta Ngata
Explorer

CLIFFORD - Regular - Hel
Change author:
It wasn't really Saiden's fault that Delta... kinda didn't really understand the concept of shaking someone's hand. She hadn't learned land-walkers customs yet, so such a thing was, well, weird. She thought he was just reaching out just to reach out, not because she had to lean up and shake his hand. Oh well. "Pleasure to meet you as well, Saiden." She offered him a warm smile, quite enjoying his name. It rolled off the tongue well and it sounded pretty, in her opinion at least.

Once he begun his tale, she listened with wide and curios eyes, eager to learn more about the world she had yet to see. And unfortunately for her, he still remained quite vague. There had to be more....right? "This boat seems too small to live on it... do you live on a boat? If so... what's it like? What do boats feel like?" She had a glimmer of wonder in her eyes as she eagerly waited for his response. Hopefully Saiden would catch on and realize who exactly he was talking to and what she prioritized in life.

And ah- of course. These legged individuals hadn't yet discovered how to make seawater drinkable nor how to produce food while out on the ocean. With magic, Delta assumed it was possible, but that didn't seem to be the case. "That's unfortunate... do you visit the sea often? I'm going to assume you're a Torchline resident?" She did need to ask since apparently there were cold places too.
DELTA
base by skylark
Saiden Hali
Smuggler / Cook

Change author:
As Delta commented on how small the boat was, Saiden barked out a laugh. "Aye, it's a bit small. That's why I'm just borrowing it. The boat I live on is much larger." Arching an eyebrow, he glanced around at the small vessel. "It's a wonderful feeling, though not as nice as being cradled by the Ocean. Still, I'd invite you up here, but I'm not sure it'd be as enjoyable for you." He flashed a quick smile at her.

"Every day, if I can. And yes, I live in Torchline." As he spoke in an adoring tone, he glanced out towards the horizon. There was an incredibly fond expression on his face and he patted the side of the boat lovingly, as if it were a living thing.
Delta Ngata
Explorer

CLIFFORD - Regular - Hel
Change author:
So she was right! Look at her, being a fantastic detective and already figuring out everything about this man. There was a satisfied smile on her face as she beamed about her success. Then- he made an unusual offer. Shaking her head. Delta almost backed up, but instead her shoulders stiffened. It's fine... it's fine. "I cannot beach myself, so I doubt it would be safe to do such a thing.... but thank you for the offer." She threw in the last part to be kind and respectful, but really she was just cautious. Her father warned against beaching herself and surely, this would be even worse. A death sentence.

Not quite mimicking, but following in Saiden's motions, Delta lifted her hand out of the water and placed it on the side of the boat. Once her hand was laid down flat, she slowly bent a couple of her fingers before returning them back to normal. "You know... I normally don't get to even touch boats. Or well, boats that are like this. I can touch sunk ones, yeah, but they aren't like this." They aren't freshly polished or well taken care of. They aren't yet hurt by the harsh effects of water and constant undertows forcing it to break and shatter.

Looking back up at Saiden, she spoke up once more. "What do you do? Are you a fisherman?"
DELTA
base by skylark