Training a promise to be kept
Sunjata

Age: 24 | Height: 5'7" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 2 - Strg: 15 - Dext: 14 - Endr: 20 - Luck: 10 - Int:
Played by: Socks Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
Quanil had never really seen a boxing ring before, let alone been in one. "It's good of you to do this for me, Mr. Sunjata ." This was easily the sixth time they'd said something of gratitude to him, but they truly were grateful. This was a promise to be kept and now a god-given quest on top of it. They were overwhelmed with the import of being here and doing this, and his acquiescence meant a lot to them.

They left their pack and staff outside the ring, of course. And, because Miss Maea had said not to mention her, they hadn't. They'd only said they'd been given a quest by Ludo to train here, which was the truth, even if it left out the deeper truth behind it. But they kept their promise to her in their heart.

"But can I ask a question?" And, as usual, they followed that question - one of their all-time favorites - with the question(s) they were wanting to ask. "What's 'Slagveld' mean? And 'VlamVloed'? There's a lot of V's in these words - I assume they're Korofian?" These were questions they'd wondered about with Miss Maea, too, so it was another way of harkening back to that moment on the beach, when she'd asked this of him.
Sunjata Wrenzaok
the Flood
Archon of King's End

Age: 34 | Height: 6'5 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: King's End
Level: 15 - Strg: 76 - Dext: 73 - Endr: 75 - Luck: 79 - Int: 3
PETRONELLA - Mythical - Sea Panther
Played by: Skylark Offline
Change author:
MP: 2712
fightin' with my shadow, that is somethin' i am good at / givin' me the power that is provin' to have backlash
There’s a nod given toward Quanil at the continued praise and appreciation, a low hum of a chuckle leaving his lips in response as they reach the Slagveld. “Who am I to deny a god?” He offers, a bit unhelpfully. Who is he to deny Maea as well? The thought has him swallowing hard, slipping briefly away to grab some wrappings for Quanil’s hand and his own.

The next question is met with a raise of his brow. “They are Korofian.” He rumbles back with some hint of amusement to it. “VlamVloed means Fire and Flood.” He begins, choosing that one first because it’s the easiest to describe. “My girl back in Korofi was nicknamed the Flame of Korofi, likewise I was called the Flood.” A small shrug to that, as he moves onto the next statement. “Slagveld is a bit harder… I guess I’d say it’s closer to meaning something like a battlefield.” A small smirk crossing his face at the thought, before he extends his hands out with the wraps, aiming to take Quanil’s into his own to wrap them up before they get started.
SUNJATA
No permission needed for power play!
Feel free to use magic/force on Sunjata, without killing him <3
Sunjata speaks with an Australian accent and has a passive magic that makes him produce a subtle scent that matches exactly to whatever those around him most desire him to smell like.

Age: 24 | Height: 5'7" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
Quanil listened avidly to the information on Korofian words. "Thank you! I've been wondering about that for a little while now. It's very interesting to find out about other languages and cultures! ...uh, but you already knew that about me."

They jumped a little and their brow furrowed when Mr. Sunjata reached for their hands. "Oh, is this part of the boxing? Should I keep my hands wrapped all the time, just in case I need to... uh, box someone?" But, of course, they weren't protesting or pulling away; they just let him wrap their hands up.

And, because they hadn't really said so yet: "I'm sorry about the loss of Miss Maea. She was my friend and a good person, and I know she was special to you."
Sunjata Wrenzaok
the Flood
Archon of King's End

Age: 34 | Height: 6'5 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: King's End
Change author:
fightin' with my shadow, that is somethin' i am good at / givin' me the power that is provin' to have backlash
A knowing nod is given to Quanil with a hint of amusement at the thanks received, the comment of being a Loreseeker coming to mind in the reasons why the seeker would like to know. But instead, he’s reaching for Quanil’s hands, to begin wrapping the fabric along it. A quick glance up to their face as he moves the fabric around in well practiced ways has him snorting quietly. “Yes. It’s to keep your hands protected. Otherwise you might break something.” He hums, shifting a small amount when done with Quanil’s hands to quickly and deftly wrap his own.

Though his fingers falter briefly at the mention of Maea, he keeps his head down, eyes focused on his hands, picking up where he’d left off in the wrapping. “Thank you.” He begins quietly, a small exhale of breath in a sigh. “She was very special to me, you’re right.” He agrees, tying off his wrappings and guiding Quanil to two punching bags.

But first, we have to warm up. Stretch out and get the basics down, yes?” An avian tilt of his head as he stands behind the bag, hands holding it steady. “First, show me how you’d make a fist.
SUNJATA
Sunjata speaks with an Australian accent and has a passive magic that makes him produce a subtle scent that matches exactly to whatever those around him most desire him to smell like.

Change author:
Quanil takes all this in quietly, and gives more silence in the moment of remembrance of Miss Maea. They're having a New Experience, and so they want to observe, listen, take in details. They push on the punching bag a little, not enough to move it much, just sort of feeling how solid it is. And they're a little relieved that it has some give to it.

When told they're going to stretch, they back away from the punching bag and direct their attention to their trainer. They're already rolling their shoulders back a little to loosen them, widening their stance, doing the sort of things they normally do for staff practice.

At Mr. Sunjata's order, Quanil says, "Yes, sir!" makes a fist of their right hand, and thrusts it straight out ahead of them immediately, almost like a released spring. The thumb is on the outside of the fingers but... well, it's hard to see the knuckles with the hand wrapped but they've closed their fist as tight as they can get it. Their right hand shakes a little from the tension, even.
Sunjata Wrenzaok
the Flood
Archon of King's End

Change author:
Good.” Sunjata muses with a quieter smile across his face, watching as Quanil stretches and Sunjata does the same, stretching his arms out and the muscles of his back and spine. But he requests how they might make a fist, a calculating eye crossing over the fist extended from them in a small amount of force that surprises him. He wonders how much energy Quanil has to begin with to be able to keep this up all day.

Still, calculating the fist, he steps forward to take their hand into his large calloused ones, pressing against the space between two of Quanil’s knuckles should they let him. “Now we’re going to test how tight the fist is.” He explains. “If it hurts, it’s too tight. If it’s not tight enough, it’ll slip through.” His gaze flickers up toward Quanil’s face to see whether or not they understand what he’s trying to get at. If it’s too tight for too long you risk wearing yourself out. If it’s too loose, the risk of breaking something is far greater.
SUNJATA

Change author:
"Ah!" Quanil tries to pull their hand away from Mr. Sunjata's when he presses between his knuckles. Their fist loosens a little automatically. "That did hurt a little."

More than that, they don't really understand. Not the specifics of it. "So it has to be just tight enough but not too tight," they sum up, because that much, at least, they can grasp from the test itself.

((I'm sorry, I woke up with a bad case of gutterbrain this morning. All this talk about how tight it should be, and I'm just like, "that's what lube is for, Sunjata should know this by now." THIS HOW YOU FLIRT, 'JATA?! SHAMEFUL! (I'm kidding! I'm kidding!)))
Sunjata Wrenzaok
the Flood
Archon of King's End

Change author:
Immediately, Sunjata lets go of Quanil’s hand when they pull away. Steel gaze flickering along their face to make sure they’re alright and still want to go through with the attempts. But as they try to confirm what exactly Sunjata’s looking for, he nods to it. “If it’s too tight, you won’t get the maximum power out of your punch that you would otherwise get. Plus it makes the wrist and fingers sore.” A small tilt of his head with that. “But if it’s too loose, you could break a finger. Or… A hand, like I did a month ago.” He wiggles the broken hand that had been healed.

Pulling his left hand into a fist and flattening his right, he goes to show Quanil where exactly the fist is supposed to land and what it might end up looking like with the fingers the way they are, the knuckles extended. “Your goal is to protect your fingers, especially on your dominant hand – since, y’know, you use that one a lot.” A quiet chuckle offered as he turns to the punching bag and places the fist there to show Quanil where it would land, what parts of his hand were connecting with it.
SUNJATA

Change author:
"OHHHHHHHHHHH." Quanil watches all of Mr. Sunjata's demonstrations carefully. "Well, I'm very glad your hand is better now! And not just because it means you can train me ."

They chuckled in return and nodded. "I think I'm going to be a professional scrivener. So if I can't write, then I won't get work. Also, I like copying texts for the guild." They smiled. "You're a very good trainer, sir! And I haven't even punched anything yet!" They tried to hold their hand -well, fist - the right way, not too loose, not too tight.

But of course Mr. Sunjata would want to show them how to do it properly, without getting hurt! He's a very good man.
Sunjata Wrenzaok
the Flood
Archon of King's End

Change author:
As understanding blossoms on Quanil’s face, Sunjata nods to them. A snort leaves Sunjata before he’s listening to Quanil explain that theyre looking to fulfill the Loreseekers section for a writer. And with the compliment, Sunjata nods with another quiet chuckle. “All the little things add up to the bigger picture.” He offers with a slight shrug, moving away from the bag that Quanil is at, moving to his own to show in somewhat slow motion how to successfully prep the punch, and follow through with it.

Now, make sure that when you go for the punch that you don’t stretch too far out. Stay close, otherwise you’ll over-extend yourself and lose your balance.” He looks toward Quanil, gesturing with his other hand how close he is to his own bag, before nodding to them to show him how they might do it.
SUNJATA

Change author:
"All the little things add up to the bigger picture," they repeated dutifully. That seemed like something important, something that applied to more than just punching. They wanted to remember it, to muse on later.

They square off with their bag the same way Mr. Sunjata has done with his. Or, well, they try to. They watch him and try to mimic, nodding at his advice. They adjust their fists, stay in close, and punch the bag hard. It swings back and then, of course, forward, and they hurry to catch it before it knocks into them.
Sunjata Wrenzaok
the Flood
Archon of King's End

Change author:
Exactly.” Sunjata replies easily, before moving to show them exactly how he’d go about starting with the bag. And then, his steel gaze flits toward them when they begin their first punch – watching and waiting to see how they try to mimic what he’s done. They stay close, form a little too tight and loose as they move to try and catch the bag as it bounds back before it knocks into them.

Good. So instead of trying to catch the bag, stay quick on your feet. Punch it, then get ready to move. Your opponent won’t let you have a second to breathe if it’s a real fight.” He offers, turning toward his bag and beginning to show how to do it. He gives it a good solid left handed punch, dipping to the side as the bag comes back and moving to punch it again.
SUNJATA

Change author:
Quanil watched and nodded and then turned back to his assigned punching bag. "Okay, okay. Provost Silversmith emphasized quick feet for staff fighting, too. I guess it's just always a good thing."

So they punched the bag with their right hand and though they moved quickly, it wasn't quite quick enough to keep from getting tagged. By the bag. Bag-tagged. "Okay, move quicker." It took another couple of times to get it, but they finally got the punch-dodge-punch sequence down.
Sunjata Wrenzaok
the Flood
Archon of King's End

Change author:
Sunjata pauses with a hand on his punching bag, head and gaze tilting toward Quanil to watch them strike at their own. A small nod is granted to the comment – that many of prior training techniques applied when it came to here. Luckily, however, it wasn’t the boxing rings of Korofi which often had hidden blades and other sharp defenses.

They moved quicker this time, and Sunjata watches as the bag comes back and hit them. After a few more attempts, Sunjata smiles with a resounding nod. “Good, good. Now that you’re warmed up, you can try against me.” He doesn’t expect it to be too difficult – moving a small ways away to get more space away from the punching bags and bending his knees a small amount into a position to better absorb some impacts. He holds his hands out toward Quanil, flat as if they’re the punching bags. “Now pretend I’m your punching bag.” He offers.
SUNJATA