(o) we'll let the fires bathe us
Hotaru Kaito
the Valkyrie
Masseuse / Headmistress

Age: 33 | Height: 5'2 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: King's End
Level: 3 - Strg: 38 - Dext: 38 - Endr: 54 - Luck: 40 - Int:
Played by: Brit Offline
Change author:
MP: 9427
Hotaru
Our hearts we have sold
For diamonds and gold
For all her exploration of Halo, the Palace has as of yet remained untouched by her presence. She feels no real need to approach or explore it, not when it inspires a bitterness in her heart, a desire to wrench it out of the hands of those who rule it. But she cannot leave it forever, not when she desires to know every inch of sprawling land this inhabitable place has to offer. From the outside it is a magnificent creation, catching the sparse light and illuminating it even from a distance. It is nothing like the metal sentries she had once loved and depended on, but it has a certain delicate beauty to it that she can appreciate.

Cloaked in her thicker furs and pelts, she ignores the hustle and bustle of the Citadel as she approaches the Palace, not interested in trading or buying today. It feels like she's looking upon a ghost, a mockery of the kingdom she had given her entire life to. A grandiose figurehead in the snow, but one that is not hers.

Standing upon the lowest step, she stares up at it, wonder if it's worth going inside when she has no authority or reason to. Just another barrier in her way.
But baby take a look
We have it all
Hotaru has a passive magic that makes her glow with an internal golden light; it makes her appear youthful and her hair seems to look like moving sunlight. Can only subtly illuminate dark spaces.
the Firebrand
Headmaster / Grand Healer

Age: 29 | Height: 5' 11' | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 11 - Strg: 32 - Dext: 33 - Endr: 35 - Luck: 39 - Int:
ASTRA - Mythical - Luxere
Played by: Crooked Offline
Change author:
MP: 3415
Love mends even the broken parts
As was often the case when strangers did weird things outside the entrance to the Palace, like standing there, staring, and doing nothing, a council member was fetched. As was also often the case, the most accessible member tended to be Loren: few medical emergencies made it to the infirmary, so he was often able to put down his work and check out the arrivals.

When he saw that it was Hotaru, he frowned slightly, but gestured for her to come in. "Hotaru? What brings you to Halo?" Leading her through the halls, he stopped at one of the plainer sitting rooms, holder the door open for her. "Not that it's not good to see you. Of course." Tone slightly awkward, his cheeks flushed from something other than the cold.
loren

Coding base by Sky!
Hotaru Kaito
the Valkyrie
Masseuse / Headmistress

Age: 33 | Height: 5'2 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: King's End
Change author:
Hotaru
Our hearts we have sold
For diamonds and gold
Hotaru is pleasantly surprised by the efficacy of the guard around here, yet another thing she has keenly kept an eye for (you never know when you'll need such information after all) but she is even more surprised by the arrival of Loren. She had honestly believed he was more frequently in Torchline considering their last run-in. Not that he's an unwelcome face, and the smile she gives him as he beckons her up the stairs is warmer and more sincere than most she has given in her time here.

As she moves past him, his pink-flushed cheeks draw her attention, and she smiles and with a balancing hand upon his chest reaches upon her toes to land a kiss at the edge of his jaw before sauntering inside the door he has held for her. Adorable. "I've been exploring it for a time, it's very similar to my old kingdom. I've been a tad nostalgic." She sits on the chaise set in the room, inviting him with a cheeky pat of her hand upon the material next to her. "It's good to see you too. What fun have you been having without me to land yourself in a place like this?" The teasing comes naturally, but she's genuinely curious what brings him here. Not just to Halo, but the Palace.
But baby take a look
We have it all
Hotaru has a passive magic that makes her glow with an internal golden light; it makes her appear youthful and her hair seems to look like moving sunlight. Can only subtly illuminate dark spaces.
the Firebrand

Age: 29 | Height: 5' 11' | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:
As Hotaru kissed Loren's cheek, he grinned faintly. However, without the burn of alcohol in his veins, he wasn't quite so forward as her. That didn't stop him from joining her on the chaise, though he did stop for two cups of the mulled wine they kept in all their visiting rooms. "Nostalgic, huh? No other reason, I'm sure." Eyes narrowing playfully, he nudged her with a shoulder.

His grin deepened slightly at her quip. "How could I possibly have fun without you?" Then his easy expression faltered for a little. "Not that there's much fun in my life these days." He swallowed against a sudden lump in his throat, then picked up his cup and sipped from it. "A friend of mine passed away recently."

Setting his cup down, he turned to face her more fully. "To answer your question, though, I live here." He raised his eyebrows slightly, watching her response carefully.
loren

Coding base by Sky!
Hotaru Kaito
the Valkyrie
Masseuse / Headmistress

Change author:
Hotaru
Our hearts we have sold
For diamonds and gold
His reticence does not spurn her in the least, content to have him join her at his leisure, and even more content with the wine he offers her. Taking it with nimble fingers, she takes a sip and gives a satisfied hum at the unfamiliar but delightful taste. He cottons onto her far too quickly, and her expression is sly as she flicks his thigh with her free hand playfully. "I plead innocent," she says loftily despite the glimmer in her eye. Oh, she has a variety of reasons to be here. He has merely added himself to the list now on top of all the other questionable ones.

Her smile fades as he confides in her, and she gently places her hand upon his back, rubbing idly in a way she knows can't truly ease the pain of mourning. "I'm sorry, Loren," she says gravely, because this is not something she will ever be able to take lightly, no matter if she had known the person or not. "I...with the festival coming, I've had my own losses on my mind. If you ever need to talk..." she trails off uncertainly, the offer genuine but unsure exactly what their entangled relationship constitutes. What he is comfortable going to her with.

There's a slight widening of her eyes and rising of her brows at the revelation, both curious and impressed. "Oh? Lucky man. Weren't you living in the Grounds? Why the change?" If he's going to be so forthcoming, she'll happily take the opportunity to ask.
But baby take a look
We have it all
the Firebrand

Change author:
"Innocent? You?" Loren let out a huff of laughter and leaned closer to Hotaru, lowering his voice to a whisper. "Why do I find that hard to believe?" Eyes mischievous, he sipped his wine as well.

Leaning into her touch a bit, he reached back to capture her hand with his own. "Thank you. And same to you. If you want to talk. Now, later, whenever..." Letting his voice trail off, he cleared his throat. For a moment grief was etched onto his features. "Her name was Maea." Speaking softly, he gave her hand a gentle squeeze before releasing it.

Raising his eyebrows a bit, he tilted his head. "It's kind of a long story. To make it short, I'm the Grand Healer here." Pausing, he studied her features for a moment. "How is the Hollowed Ground treating you?"
loren

Coding base by Sky!
Hotaru Kaito
the Valkyrie
Masseuse / Headmistress

Change author:
Hotaru
Our hearts we have sold
For diamonds and gold
The soft warmth of his breath as he leans in close is a pleasant new sensation, but she meets it with an innocent smile that can't hope to match the predatory mischief in her gaze. "I couldn't possibly fathom why, you must have me mistaken for someone else." He's certainly very charming, but she can't go around spilling all her secrets on a whim. Especially not for a pretty face.

The mood goes a tad somber, and she skims her thumb over the back of his hand when he places his upon hers. The offer is sweet, for lack of a better word. Sunjata is the only soul outside of her family to even know her connection to Ru'in, and the idea of baring herself so intimately to Loren is daunting. Though she would not object to his company on any given day, she is also quite slow to trust. Her decision doesn't matter in the end, because she's distracted by the name that falls from his lips. She had only recently found out herself after her hunt with Deimos, having checked the Notice Board on a whim and having to deal with her grief then and there upon realizing Maea was dead. "I knew her too," she admits softly, grief welling up. "Not as well as I wanted, but I cared for her. I'm sorry." In another time, another day...just as the woman's note had said. Perhaps they could have been something else.

It takes a bit to drag herself from that mire and focus, but she's not disappointed. "Quite the title, congratulations." For a moment she considers teasing him with various lewd insinuations, but instead she reminds herself that she must exercise propriety sometimes, and takes another sip of her wine. "I haven't been there much, admittedly. I've either been here or visiting Torchline. My family is quite efficiently paired up, and I don't like to cramp their style." The amused tilt of her lips is obvious, but it's a sad truth. She is quite alone these days, which releases her from the burdens of holding a stable position in the Grounds. Her shop does well without constant care. Why not explore with all that extra time?
But baby take a look
We have it all
the Firebrand

Change author:
Smirking a bit Loren, stayed right where he was, meeting Hotaru's gaze with an equally devilish one of his own. "That must be it. Except you're quite unmistakable." He let out another huff of laughter.

The soft stroke of his hand was unexpected, and he gave her a grateful smile. "She was one of my best friends. I don't...have a lot of people in my life." The words were tough to voice, and he cleared his throat a bit awkwardly as if that would get rid of the painful emotions. "Thank you."

Waving away her congratulations, he sipped his wine. "That sounds nice, honestly. My family is distant at best, antagonistic at worst. Not exactly the pairing sort, let alone letting a third person in." Flashing her a quick, but not exactly happy grin, he tapped a finger on the rim of his glass. "I take it the thought of getting paired up yourself hasn't occurred to you." It wasn't exactly a question: his tone was lightly teasing, though he was more than a bit curious.

Then he gave her a quizzical look. "What's been bringing you to Halo, since you already told me it wasn't my charming personality?" Shifting a bit, he let his leg brush against hers, seemingly on accident.
loren

Coding base by Sky!
Hotaru Kaito
the Valkyrie
Masseuse / Headmistress

Change author:
Hotaru
Our hearts we have sold
For diamonds and gold
It's a game of cat and mouse that she's quite happy to play, if only to determine who is playing which role. She certainly isn't going to back down from a little invasion of personal space, and instead leans closer to barely brush their noses before smoothly retreating. "Flatterer. Do you have all the girls here swooning for you too?" Hotaru wouldn't be surprised in the least if he was as confident and bold as he'd been on the beach. Alcohol notwithstanding.

The closeness afford her the opportunity to comfort him to the best of her abilities. Perhaps she needs it for herself as well, considering how little time has been given to her to mourn the girl. "What matters is the quality of their friendship, not the quantity. Which makes it all the harder when we lose them." It's spoken softly, but internally she can't help but agree. Hotaru is definitely more likable these days, more subtle in her manipulations, but she still does not have very many friends either. They're quite the pair really.

And speaking of pairs. "Unfortunately we can't choose our blood family, but we can certainly run as far in the opposite direction as we can." The wry twist of her expression communicates just how well she understands his plight. While she may not be related to them by blood, they are still her family. Deimos, Rexanna, Kiada...they are all that remains of such emotional ties from a world before. His question takes her quite off guard, though she only lets slip the quick blink of her eyes and parting of her mouth before she catches herself with a laugh. "I'm not averse to it per se, but most don't prefer someone like me long-term. I've not had good experiences with those I've paired with in the past, unfortunately." In fact every time her heart had been broken, which had only driven home the point that she is safer and more powerful on her own.

The brush of his leg against hers makes her smirk into the lip of her wine glass, pressing back subtly in open invitation of the touch. It's not as if he hasn't explored far more interesting parts of her body. "What answer would intrigue you the most? A nostalgic Queen chasing ghosts? A devious usurper performing reconnaissance? A lonely girl looking for someone to warm her bed?" She chuckles and takes another sip of the addicting wine. In truth it could be all or none of them, what matters is what he believes.
But baby take a look
We have it all
the Firebrand

Change author:
As Hotaru leaned closer in as well, Loren just grinned. Laughing a bit at her question, he nodded slowly. "Yes." Taking a sip of his wine, he waved a hand in his air. "I wish I could say it's all to do with my assets, but honestly any eligible bachelor is fair game here. Or maiden." Given how small and insular Halo was, that was actually true, but the self-deprecating tone in his voice made it sound like a joke.

"Speaking from experience, losing friends in quantity isn't great either." He gave her a rueful smile. At the same time, his hand found hers again to give it another gentle squeeze. "But you're right. And I am sorry, truly for your losses. I wouldn't wish that on anyone." He spoke as someone intimately familiar with such pain and heartache.

Chuckling at her comment, he found his eyes straying towards the door. "Which makes it all the more ironic that I find myself back here." Her reaction caught his attention, and drew his gaze back to her. Smirking a bit, he toasted. "I believe I can definitively say it is their loss." It was clear he was pleased to have caught her off guard.

Then his expression softened. "For what it's worth, I've only had one long-term relationship. And that...ended in disaster of another sort." For a moment he lost track of the game and rubbed a palm against his thigh, eyes sad and distant.

Watching her carefully as she spoke, he didn't respond right away. Instead, his expression grew thoughtful. Finally he spoke in a much more normal tone of voice. "It's less about what intrigues me and more about what you need right now." He smiled, no hint of flirtation in it. "And if you'll forgive me for being so bold as to put words in your mouth, it seems like we could both do with some company right now." Raising his eyebrows, he looked at her almost expectantly.
loren

Coding base by Sky!
Hotaru Kaito
the Valkyrie
Masseuse / Headmistress

Change author:
Hotaru
Our hearts we have sold
For diamonds and gold
"Safety in numbers I suppose, at least you have guards to stop them from breaking down the door to ask for your hand." Amusement glimmers in her mismatched eyes, imagining a mob of various men and women breaking into the Palace for Loren's reproductive rights.

"I understand," she says softly, recalling that awful night when the world had burned and so many had died. "My entire home world was destroyed in one fell swoop. Loss is hard enough to bear in singularity, but en masse..." With a sigh she waves away his apology, giving him a bitter smile. "The secret is not getting close to anyone." Any attempt at a joking tone falls flat, too honest to twist it into anything else. Keeping others at arms length - or hopefully farther - is a skill she has honed to perfection over time.

"So you have family here?" Curiosity is plain in her expression, wondering who he may be related to, why they are so terrible. The toast distracts her from her musings, laughing at the gesture and the kind words, even if she brushes them off without truly believing them. "Quite a bold stance to take, I can't say I agree. But they gave me my children, so I can't say it was a complete loss on my end." For all the pain they'd caused her, she still lays awake at night sometimes, wondering what she could have done differently. Once, the joy of her children had kept those thoughts at bay. Now, alone and with only Ru'in's ghost to accompany her in this land, she can't avoid such crippling mental ruts. Perhaps he is haunted by similar thoughts, if the dampening of his expression is any clue. She reaches to gently place her hand over his where it rubs against his thigh, giving a squeeze in solidarity. "You don't have to talk about it if you don't want to." Hotaru doesn't want him to feel pressured to speak about it just because she is comfortable doing so. Secrets of the heart are not often ones the woman dabbles in collecting.

Though she's tempted to respond flirtatiously with the absolutely perfect opening he has given her, his own sincerity is disarming. "Consider yourself forgiven, if only because you're correct. Company...well, I wouldn't spurn it right now." There's an exhausted flicker to her expression, a haunted aura that weighs down on her small shoulders. This is her first season in Caido dealing with the memorializing rituals they hold, and it makes her feel her loneliness all the more keenly.
But baby take a look
We have it all
the Firebrand

Change author:
Letting out a huff of laughter, Loren grinned at Hotaru. "Excellent point. But then I have to deal with the single guards. Any ideas?" He took a sip of the wine as he waited for her next quip.

Smiling sadly, he reached up to give her shoulder a gentle squeeze and just shook his head slowly, offering what comfort he could. "Quite a secret." Sighing, he gave her an understanding look. "The real secret is figuring out how to actually not get close to people. I haven't quite mastered that one, yet, more's the pity." However, his own attempt at lightening the mood and trying to find the humor in this fell as flat as hers had.

Nodding, he glanced towards the door. "I do. My brother is the Warden here, and my distant cousin is the Archmage. She has two children as well" Smirking, he returned his gaze to her, staring directly into her mismatched eyes. "And yes, before you ask I absolutely did get my job through nepotism." This time, his wry and self-deprecating tone was actually humorous. Or at least he hoped.

Taking another sip, he grinned at her. "I confess it's a bit of selfishness on my part. If those relationships had worked out, I somehow imagine you wouldn't be here with me." However his expression softened. "I didn't realize you had kids." It came out quietly. While there was a slightly questioning tone to his voice and a mildly curious expression on his face, he wouldn't press her.

When she asked about his own lost loves, his gaze grew distant. "No it's fine. Talking helps." He bit his lip. "His name was Abasi. He burned to death while I was standing right next to him." The words ached with a familiar pain, and he swallowed hard against the sudden lump in his throat. Seeking out the hand she had on his thigh, he laced their fingers together. He took more than a bit of comfort from the simple touch.

Smiling more genuinely at her than he had before, it transformed him for the briefest of moments. There was no hint of flirtation or suggestively to it. Instead, he looked younger and more carefree than he usually did. Almost like a different person, the person he might've been if life hadn't conspired against him. "Well I can't offer you much besides my hand in marriage." Letting go of her hand, he carefully slipped his arm across her shoulders. If there was any hint of resistance, he'd stop. "But company I can do."
loren

Coding base by Sky!
Hotaru Kaito
the Valkyrie
Masseuse / Headmistress

Change author:
Hotaru
Our hearts we have sold
For diamonds and gold
"Construct an elaborate lie about a partner living in the Grounds, unwilling to move, and enjoy the adrenaline of keeping your facts straight." The amusing notion only makes her smirk into her glass, draining the last bit and savoring the taste upon her tongue. It's an idea straight out of a romance novel, and she wonders if it would even work implemented in a daily situation.

Setting her glass aside, she leans slightly into the touch upon her shoulder, giving a bittersweet smile at their collective lack of convincing acting. "At least we have opposite problems. You lose out quite often when you are unwilling to lower your guard." Such has been her own vice to fight in her years. "But we all learn. Slowly, as we are quite stupid it seems." Learning to open up, or in Loren's case, to not dive in so quickly. She's not sure which she pities more.

At least the humor of his ascension to his role is enough to temporarily dispel those thoughts, and it startles a laugh from her when he bluntly admits to nepotism. "If the leverage is there, why not use it?" The curl of her lips is positively devilish, having done far more underhanded things to climb the ladder herself. "Though from what you've said of your family, perhaps it's not such a good thing." To be stuck in the Palace with them, having to perform his duties even when wanting an escape from their antagonism? Hotaru does not envy that.

"I imagine not," she agrees, voice far softer than it has any right to be. "I had a few, in my home land. Certainly out of everyone who knew me, I was the one most surprised by how happy motherhood made me." A wry laugh escapes here, folding her hands in her lap. She'd been certain that she'd turn out like her parents, distant and forgotten. Or perhaps that her own personality would be her downfall. And yet she had looked into the eyes of her first child and known that motherhood was perhaps the one thing she could succeed at in this world. "I lost them. All of them, when our world was destroyed. Two I had to watch die before my eyes, and the others...I never made it to the other side of the portal where they landed." There is a strangled grief to her words, and she sucks in a breath to chase away the stabbing pain that the reminder brings her, trying to compose herself as her hands idly wave away the topic as if in apology. "Sorry, that's likely more than you cared to hear." Nobody was a fan of moms going on and on about their kids anyway, and going on and on about their deaths was even harder to swallow.

At least she can help to weather the pain he displays at the mention of his partner's demise, having just admitted the agony of watching her children die firsthand as well. It's something she would not wish upon even her worst enemies, and she lets him thread their fingers together, squeezing and holding on as if they can drag each other out of this mire together somehow. "I'm so sorry," she whispers instead, because there's nothing else to say. And they sit like that for a moment, embroiled in their memories, silent and aching, until his arm comes to wrap around her. Hotaru leans into it, sliding just a little closer so that they can share what heat they manage to accumulate between them. "Ah, should I be the Grounds maiden in your story then? I can be quite convincing." Mirth plays weakly on her tongue, but it's all she can manage with how weighted their conversation has become. "Thank you. I didn't expect to find you here but...I'm glad I did." Which is already too forward and honest, makes her insides cramp with anxiety and warning bells, but it seems to be the theme of the evening.
But baby take a look
We have it all
the Firebrand

Change author:
Loren actually barked out a startled laugh at Hotaru's suggestion. "That's not so far from the truth." Then he flushed a little. He finished his glass as well to prevent himself from saying anything else too stupid.

Shaking his head, he smiled faintly. "Actually it took me quite a while to learn how to let people in. I still struggle with it." He gave her a chagrined look. "But mostly my problem is that I never trust that they'll stay. Or..." Voice trailing off, he looked away.

Letting out a huff of laughter, he shrugged. "I have these pesky things called morals." Grinning, he gave her a pleased look. "Luckily, I also happen to be quite a skilled healer, so it worked out for everyone." Obviously that good cheer disappeared when she brought up his family. "I've been officially disowned, though thankfully they've been more tolerant of me than usual. And I'm powerful enough now that they can't mess with me." His tone was unbothered, and his expression indicated that he wasn't particularly worried about them.

As she spoke of her losses, her dead children, he felt his heart clench. Giving her as sympathetic, comforting, and understanding a look as he could manage, he simply listened to her until she finished. "Gods. I'm so sorry. No one should ever have to go through something like that." His voice was soft. Shaking his head at her next comment, he reached out to lay his hand on top of both of hers. "You don't need to apologize to me. Not for that. Never for that." On that, he was firm.

Holding her hand, his mouth twisted into a mockery of a smile. "Enough time has passed that the pain isn't as raw. Right afterwards, though, I was a wreck." He laughed, though there was little humor in it. Still, he felt no shame in admitting his weakness.

Shifting so that she'd be more comfortable (he hoped), he squeezed her shoulders gently and gratefully. "I have no doubt. Sadly, it would be impossible to convince anyone that I'm a knight or a gentleman." Grinning weakly, he turned slightly so he could face her. "I'm glad you found me too." It again came out with that sort of awkwardly earnest sincerity that he really wished he could hide under something cooler and more collected.

Clearing his throat, he chuckled weakly. "Seeing as you didn't come here for me, what were you looking for?" He raised his eyebrows, more than a bit curious about her presence here.
loren

Coding base by Sky!