(o) we'll let the fires bathe us
Hotaru Kaito
the Valkyrie
Masseuse / Headmistress

Age: 33 | Height: 5'2 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: King's End
Level: 3 - Strg: 38 - Dext: 38 - Endr: 54 - Luck: 40 - Int:
Played by: Brit Offline
Change author:
MP: 9747
Hotaru
Our hearts we have sold
For diamonds and gold
"Oh?" A mischievous curiosity overtakes her pretty features, leaning in a little like a gossiping schoolgirl. "You can't leave it at just that, tell me more." Who had captured the heart of the man who himself admits to his own reticence to trust? "All we can do is give them the time to prove us wrong." A small shrug of her shoulders is all she can offer, an understanding light in her eyes because she knows just how hard that is. How easy it is to say, how difficult it is to do. To make yourself vulnerable day after day.

"You'll forgive me if I call your family a steaming pile of Ursur shit then," she comments wryly, brows rising at the implications of being disowned. Vulgar language aside, they do sound quite terrible, and she takes a moment to appreciate how deeply loved she is by Deimos, Rexanna, and Kiada. A familial love that is far easier to put her trust into. One that she has already lost so much of, and the ferocity of Loren's response helps to quell the rising tide of mourning in her breast. The shaking of her hands can likely be felt beneath his, but his touch eases it just enough that she can lift her head and give a slightly wet-eyed smile. "Thank you. I miss them every day...and sometimes I wish I could try again, but the idea of losing them again is terrifying. And requires finding that person willing to put up with me," she laughs weakly, trying to find the positives, the humor in this dark situation. Being repeatedly abandoned with her children and leaving them fatherless is not something she has fully recovered from.

"It takes time. And it never really goes away, but at least we can focus more on the good memories instead of being buried by the moment of their loss." It had taken so much time to stop seeing the twins walking calmly to their deaths, to instead remember them as they had been, instead of reducing them to their final moments. She leans into his embrace, and can't help how her shoulders shake with mirth at his repeated question. "It was the only place left to see in Halo. And I was competitively curious to learn more about the rulers here." Still feeling as if she should wrench their titles away for herself, if only to have the joy of living and ruling here. But those are impulsive thoughts.
But baby take a look
We have it all
Hotaru has a passive magic that makes her glow with an internal golden light; it makes her appear youthful and her hair seems to look like moving sunlight. Can only subtly illuminate dark spaces.
the Firebrand
Headmaster / Grand Healer

Age: 29 | Height: 5' 11' | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 11 - Strg: 32 - Dext: 33 - Endr: 35 - Luck: 39 - Int:
ASTRA - Mythical - Luxere
Played by: Crooked Offline
Change author:
MP: 3415
Love mends even the broken parts
Laughing slightly uncomfortably, Loren shook his head at Hotaru's request. "There is no good way to tell you I have a lover back in the Hollowed Ground." His tone indicated he was well aware how easily that could come across as bragging, and might make the woman right next to him, who he'd just been flirting with, less likely to continue the game they'd gotten more than a bit distracted from.

Strangely enough, personal problems were a welcome change of pace. Simply humming his agreement at her comment about the difficulties of trusting others, he snorted at her analysis of his family. "She says as she drinks their wine." Still, he gave her an appreciative smile.

When he felt her hands shaking, he stroked her gently, his fingers brushing across her thumbs. "I think anyone who can't put up with someone as wonderful as you is as shitty as my family." That came out with a great deal of certainty. "But I understand. It's...hard not to worry, when you've been through so much loss. All I can say is that one day I hope you find that special someone." His voice was much softer on that, and he tried to make it as comforting as possible.

Simply nodding again as she talked about healing from their traumas, he grinned full out as she finally revealed the reason for her visit. "Just that? And here I was worrying you were trying to spy on us." Voice and expression both amused, he set his empty cup on the table and stood up. "Well I can't divulge any more state secrets than I already have. But I can give you a tour, if you'd like." He held out a hand to help her up, if she chose to take it.
loren

Coding base by Sky!
Hotaru Kaito
the Valkyrie
Masseuse / Headmistress

Age: 33 | Height: 5'2 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: King's End
Change author:
Hotaru
Our hearts we have sold
For diamonds and gold
For all his unspoken trepidation at the admission, Hotaru is far from bothered by the revelation. Instead her expression softens, unexpectedly happy for the man. "Oh hush, that doesn't bother me. So long as your lover knows and doesn't mind, I'm certainly not going to be the one to judge. And I can learn to keep my hands to myself." She winks at the end, hoping to reassure him with her lightheartedness. While disappointing to have to hold herself back, she's not a homewrecker. At least, not without proper motivation. There's a quiet pang of jealousy in her heart, envious of any kind of relationship with that kind of commitment when so freshly reminded of her own lacking past. "I'm happy for you. It means you're healing."

Her bi-hued gaze flicks back to her wine, and she nudges her shoulder against Loren playfully. "Darling, you never turn down free spirits, even from scumbags." Though she'd certainly like a word (or something far crueler) with his so-called family herself. Loren, for all the faults she's sure he holds as any man does, is still kind and gentle. As he proves with each touch and comforting word. "Romance isn't quite in the cards, but thank you." Flings, one night stands, open relationships? Hotaru can do it all and more. But she has lost too much faith in herself and others to dream about a special someone.

"Spy? And just moments ago you called me wonderful." The admonishment can't conceal the twinkle in her eyes, the preening at the recognition of her devious mannerisms. Placing her hand in his, she easily pulls herself to her feet. "Lead on, good sir."
But baby take a look
We have it all
Hotaru has a passive magic that makes her glow with an internal golden light; it makes her appear youthful and her hair seems to look like moving sunlight. Can only subtly illuminate dark spaces.
the Firebrand

Age: 29 | Height: 5' 11' | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:
When Hotaru actually turned out to be happy for Loren, he relaxed. "Thank you." Then he smirked a bit, though he searched her features for some sign that he hadn't just screwed things up entirely.  "But...what if I don't want you to keep your hands to yourself? My lover is well aware it's just casual between me and him." Though his tone was as lighthearted as hers, it wasn't exactly subtle flirtation.

"I'll have to keep that in mind." Grinning at her, it softened into a gentler and kinder smile as she admitted she didn't see herself finding love any time soon. "Good thing I just offered you company then." It was a silly quip, though he was hoping to cheer her up slightly after the heaviness of the conversation they just had.

As she took his hand, he helped her up. At the same time he placed his hand over his heart. "I never said I had a problem with spies. I happen to find them wonderful, and I'll have you know I used to be quite a skilled one myself." Offering her his elbow to take if she chose to accept it, he'd do as she requested and lead her outside, into one of the many hallways of the Palace. "Is there anything in particular you'd like to see, or should I just show you the highlights?"
loren

Coding base by Sky!
Hotaru Kaito
the Valkyrie
Masseuse / Headmistress

Change author:
Hotaru
Our hearts we have sold
For diamonds and gold
Whatever he is looking for, some sort of condemnation or hurt, he will not find it. Nevertheless she lets him look, serene and sure of herself. "Then if you are both fine with it, I won't rob you of the pleasure." Her smirk is promising, and though they may only derive company from each other today, that does not mean she will not make good on that promise in their coming times with one another.

"I believe you also offered a tour, don't try and cheat me out of too much now." Though the sparkle of amusement and the grin she offers chases away the playful implication of romance having been offered and cheated away as well. While she wouldn't be disinclined to try with anyone as easy to coexist with as Loren, she does not chase after those who do not want to be caught. She takes his elbow and chortles at his dramatics, adjusting her stride to account for how much taller he is. "All the more in common for us then." Somehow she's not surprised he has also been in a spy in the past, and wonders if that's why she finds him so intriguing, so easy to get along with. Kindred spirits and all that. "Highlights. Wouldn't want to bore me with the predictable would you?" Hotaru's teasing is lighthearted, in reality knowing far too little of the Palace to even have a request as to where to explore.
But baby take a look
We have it all
the Firebrand

Change author:
Grinning, something maybe a bit wicked about it, Loren spoke in a low tone. "How magnanimous of you. I suppose I'll just have to find some way to repay you." The suggestive edge to his voice indicated exactly what he had in mind.

Letting out a huff of laughter, he nodded. "I wouldn't dare. I shudder to think what sort of punishments you might inflict on me." Clearly joking, and clearly not minding the possibility of getting punished by her, he nevertheless led her through the hallways, tucking her hand into his elbow. For a moment, his lips twitched in amusement at the thought that in another time and another place, she would've been deemed quite the suitable match for him.

"Perhaps we should continue getting to know one another. See what else we might have in common." Strangely enough, while he'd intended for it to be a bit flirty, it came it almost earnest instead.

Flushing a bit, he turned the corner. "As you wish." As they walked, he pointed out various interesting sights, though nothing worth commenting much on. Eventually, though they reached the doors that led to the Arcane Academy. "This is the Arcane Academy. It is a training ground for the Abandoned, teaching them to hone their skills to the fullest of their abilities."
loren

Coding base by Sky!
Hotaru Kaito
the Valkyrie
Masseuse / Headmistress

Change author:
Hotaru
Our hearts we have sold
For diamonds and gold
"I'm willing to negotiate a payment schedule," she lilted playfully back, all to aware of what game they are playing, and Hotaru does not mind showing her cards in this particular round. "Only punishments you would enjoy, and certainly nothing you couldn't heal with a little showing off." He'd certainly seemed to be a fan of her little lightning trick back on the beach.

Hand tucked securely in the crook of his elbow, Hotaru allows her attention - and gaze - to roam appropriately as he takes her through the halls. Admiring the intriguing clash of materials that the palace is drawn from. Beautiful, but in a primordial sort of way. No excessive, lavish decorations. Spartan in layout and appearance alike. His earnestness pulls her from her admiration, and for a moment she is visibly surprised, though pleasantly so. A rare pink tinge comes to her cheeks, but she is quick to squash it, feeling flattered that he finds her interesting enough to want to get to know her better. "I wouldn't object to that. Though you'll have me moving here soon enough, with all the time I already spend here." Amusement dances in her eyes, allowing the subject to drift away just enough to relinquish her from the unexpected grip of his sincerity.

At least her own cheeks are not the only ones to darken, and she preens at her success as he leads her onward. Admittedly displaying her curiosity rather blatantly at their first stop. "An Academy? Incredible. And has it seen much success? Who runs it?" Interest undoubtedly piqued.
But baby take a look
We have it all
the Firebrand

Change author:
As Hotaru laid out her terms, Loren found himself grinning. "Show off, hm? And what if I want to keep you all to myself?" There was equal parts playfulness and flirtation in his voice. Still, he let out a huff of laughter. "I think you'll find that I'm up for quite a bit of punishment." His voice dropped to a lower register for the last word, and gained a bit of a rough edge.

Smiling a bit sheepishly, it gained a more genuine edge as she mentioned she was considering moving here. "I wouldn't object to that." He gave her an excited and sly look, equally amused.

Nodding at her questions, he glanced towards the entrance to the school. "It has been quite successful, from all reports." When she asked who ran it, he grinned, though she'd be able to feel him tense slightly given their arms were linked. "Ah, that's the one wrinkle. It's run by my cousin Zariah." He watched her carefully to see how she'd react to the name.

Regardless, he'd lead her on the next stop of the tour. Walking down a flight of stairs, he'd bring her to a door tucked away in a corner of the Palace. Opening it would reveal a modest library. "We don't have that many books here. There aren't really the supplies for it, so most of our histories are passed down orally. Still, we've collected a few over the years." Entering the room, he would let her browse the volumes at her leisure.
loren

Coding base by Sky!
Hotaru Kaito
the Valkyrie
Masseuse / Headmistress

Change author:
Hotaru
Our hearts we have sold
For diamonds and gold
"And do you think you're capable of keeping me all to yourself?" Her voice is positively silken, but there's a challenge to her gaze and the playful tilt to her chin that boldly asks if he believes he can handle her wholly on his own. "Is it really punishment if you're so eager for it?" Her laugh is a small chime of echoing noise in the hallways as they walk. His support of the idea is unexpected, but he's an Outlander too and likely not as protective over Halo as the Naturals. "You'll take that back when you're stuck with me for an entire season," she retorts playfully. Hotaru still hasn't decided on if she's moving or not, and honestly the portals being closed for the season plays a significant part in that pending decision.

She doesn't let it show immediately on her face, but she does allow a slight look of distaste to slip through her grasp. Loren has already admitted that he's not fond of his family, she's not as concerned that he'll be offended. "Hm. Well, my interest is effectively squashed then I must say." Deimos' portrayal of Zariah had been pivotal in shaping Hotaru's opinion on the woman, and she has a feeling if they ever meet it will either be immediately explosive, or the most dangerous game of manipulation and cruelty that Hotaru has ever played. It admittedly doesn't reflect well upon her that she considers that a challenge to look forward to.

The library he guides her to is far more interesting than the tyrannical woman though, and her hand slips from his elbow to instead graze over the spines of a few interesting tomes. A few she pulls from their place to crack open, reading a few passages before returning them. "Still incredible," she compliments, voice hushed but still resonating in the cavernous space. "Though I'm partial to learning from the Naturals myself, this is impressive with how reticent they seem to be." Though she admires that about them. She is perhaps a bit too fond of their ways, of these people who remind her so much of her own.
But baby take a look
We have it all
the Firebrand

Change author:
Loren met Hotaru's gaze squarely, grinning a bit as he did. "I do." It came out firmly, though without bravado or false confidence. Then his grin deepened. "But if you ask me to share you, I can do that too."

Letting out a huff of laughter, his grin turned into a bit of a smirk. "Only one way to find out." Tone suggestive, he raised his eyebrows at her, daring her to keep going down that path.

"Oh so you're sticking by my side for a full season?" Equally playfully, he winked at her. "Can't say I mind the idea in the slightest." Humming a pleased sound, he gave her a wicked smile.

Actually laughing outright, his expression and tone were entirely understanding. "I'm not surprised to hear you say that.  " He grew slightly more serious as he went on. "Rest assured, if you are worried about her, we are curbing her more destructive impulses by any means necessary." Granted, she'd been relatively withdrawn of late, but that just made him worry about what she was plotting.

Nodding at her compliment, he stood in the center of the room, hands clasped behind his back. "They don't quite trust us outsiders, it's true." Then his eyes glittered with excitement. "But if you're interested, there's a place in Snowcloak where the elders gather and tell tales over some ale. They certainly don't mind an audience." It was one of his favorite places in Halo, and he would be glad to share it with her.
loren

Coding base by Sky!
Hotaru Kaito
the Valkyrie
Masseuse / Headmistress

Change author:
Hotaru
Our hearts we have sold
For diamonds and gold
He seems to be making a habit out of surprising her, and he doesn't stop there. Hotaru turns her unfaltering gaze up at him, wondering if he truly means it or if perhaps he is merely telling himself what he wants to hear. "Dangerous words, handsome. And if I took you up on such an offer, would you tuck tail and run? Perhaps I don't want to be shared." There's a thin line being tread here, one between playfulness and sincerity. Lust and connection. An intriguing waltz she has not learned the steps to yet. Her eyes glint with challenge and fascination alike, eagerly awaiting the next move on the chess board. It is more than that of course, more heart than brain, but it keeps the divide a little clearer (safer, perhaps) in her mind.

"It's an option, you merely tip the scales in favor," she teases back, flash of her teeth like those of a vixen's gleaming smile in the dark of a burrow. The idea of being cut off from the rest of the world is her only real reticence, though she knows her family is also the type to throw themselves into various sticky situations. Being there to help mitigate their foolhardy bravery is part of her job description these days.

"I'd not say worried is the best descriptor." It's spoken neutrally, with the same air of amusement their entire conversation has carried. In truth she'd sooner see Zariah dead at her feet than warming any sort of throne with her ass, but you don't say those sort of things to said target's cousin. It's impolite dinner conversation. Or tour conversation, in this case. "I'd enjoy that. If the ale is of similar quality to what you gave me, I'm sure it will be a delightful time even without the stories." A soft huff of a laugh escapes her at the idea, knowing she is no heavy weight considering her stature, but she knows good spirits when she tastes them.
But baby take a look
We have it all
the Firebrand

Change author:
Meeting Hotaru's two-toned eyes with his own bright blue ones, Loren just grinned at her. "I think you'll find I'm not one to run. And I would be more than happy to have you all to myself." There was something flirtatious in his voice, true, but there was truth sprinkled in there too. "I just didn't think you'd want to be shackled to me." He searched her features, then his grin turned into a smirk. "Except maybe in a fun way."

Letting out a huff of laughter, he inclined his head in acknowledgement of her words. "I'd be happy to sweeten the deal. Just say the word." He raised his eyebrows almost challengingly at her.

Shaking his head a bit at her comment, he leaned against a nearby bookshelf, slouching a bit. "Then what is?" His tone was teasing, but his eyes had grown sharp. Zariah had already caused enough trouble for them, so he wanted to know if more was about to show up at their doorstep.

For the first time during the conversation he gave her an apologetic and embarrassed smile. "Ah, well, actually the beer here isn't great. We're working on it, though, promise." Running one hand through his hair, he held out his arm for her, hoping to continue the tour (and hoping to have her on his arm again, if he was honest). "I might have a private stash that I could be convinced to share. Given the right incentives." This time, the grin he turned on her was anything but apologetic.
loren

Coding base by Sky!
Hotaru Kaito
the Valkyrie
Masseuse / Headmistress

Change author:
Hotaru
Our hearts we have sold
For diamonds and gold
For a moment she merely considers him and the revelation he has laid out before her, but inevitably her own smile blossoms in mischievous parallel to his. "Then you best get to work on the 'getting to know' shouldn't you?" If he cares to take that plunge, she's certainly no easy catch. "Though I'd make room for shackles in my busy calendar." Who says you can't have fun in the meantime? "Or are the shackles the added sweetness to the deal?" If so it's quite effective in tipping the scales. An entire season of lazy, indulgent trysts is the key to many things with Hotaru, heart may or may not be included.

The leading question doesn't escape her, but she sees no point in (fully) lying. "Many who suffered the worst beneath her rule were my family," she points out calmly. "I do not worry over her, but I distrust her. I believe that's fair." It's a somber turn to their conversation, but Hotaru doesn't find that she minds. If Loren is capable of seeing the dark sides of his family, hopefully he will understand her own protective stance.

"I'm sure Weaver is well-received here then." If there's one unifying love in Caido, it's alcohol. Weaver so far seems to be an excellent owner of the Kraai, and Hotaru is excited to set up shop relatively near one another. "Oh? I can be quite convincing you know. What would win your favor?" She wets her lips in a subtle motion, smiling slowly at the prospect.
But baby take a look
We have it all
the Firebrand

Change author:
Loren's own smiled deepened at Hotaru's words. "Well alright then." Humming thoughtfully, he looked to one side as he considered which question to ask her. "What was your old world like?" He found himself genuinely interested to know the answer, seeing as she'd been cagey during their first meeting.

Letting out a huff of laughter, he smirked. "Only one way to find out." Then he dropped his voice to a flirtatious whisper. "But if you insist on tying me up, who am I to stop you?" He raised his eyebrow, quite intrigued to know how she'd respond to that.

Nodding at her words, his lips twitched. He was more bemused than anything else. "Only fools trust Zariah. But she can be useful, if you know how to point her in the right direction." However, his expression soon grew deadly serious. "I know your family, and many others, suffered under her rule. And I am sorry for that. Some of us have prior claim to having been harmed by her, though, and like you, are not quick to forgive or forget." Something ugly flickered in his eyes, and the frozen anger suffusing his voice surprised even him.

Thankfully, the mood passed quickly. Laughing at her comment about Weaver, he nodded. "Considering she's a Natural from Halo, she is very well received indeed." He didn't begrudge her that. As Hotaru licked her lips, he smirked again. "For now, why don't we continue our tour so you can let me continue to provide you company. Later though..." Voice trailing off suggestively, he chuckled, the sound slightly wicked.
loren

Coding base by Sky!