classic in the wrong way
Maru
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Age: 31 | Height: 5'11 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 15 - Strg: 68 - Dext: 63 - Endr: 101 - Luck: 100 - Int: 3
ORIA - Mythical - Spriggan (Ghost)
Played by: Odd Offline
Change author:
MP: 2259
nevertheless it was never the last; hold on strong or you fade out fast
Politics weren't for Remi, nor was diplomacy. And so it was that as he walked into the ocean it was without tokens of appreciation nor gifts meant to buy some later favour or curry future rewards. Remi would provide the king—luminary?—of the merfolk with precisely what he'd done for the people of Torchline: blunt honesty and all that he was, for all it was worth.

The surface of the water had cooled considerably with the Leafchange chill, but deeper down the temperatures were more stagnant. Shifting almost instantly, the pacific octopus made his way down deep into the depths with gentle articulations of his many arms.

When the lights and spires of the Kingdom below came into view, the alchemist halted his descent what he took to be a respectable distance away. My name is Remi Taliesin of Torchline. I bring news of the former governor, and of his replacement. I'd speak with whoever is in charge, if I could. The octopi's mental voice was thickly accented and lacking the boyish kindness it was once drenched in. Now Remi simply sounded politely confident as he waited in the darkened depths.
Speaks with a thick Italian accent.
Force and magic can be used against Remi without permission.
Maru Ngata
Merfolk Leader

Age: 40 | Height: 6'1 | Race: Mermaid | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 4 - Strg: 15 - Dext: 18 - Endr: 18 - Luck: 15 - Int:
Played by: Brit Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
MARU
listen carefully to the sound of your loneliness
like a heartbeat that drives you mad
Few know of the existence of his kind, and fewer still have had the bravado - the ability - to venture beneath the abyssal depths to where his kingdom resides. For all its beauty and allure it has fewer guards than any landlocked kingdom may find necessary, for their waters have wrecked and wrenched the lives of too many sailors from their fragile flasks to have many foolhardy adventurers upon their doorstep. Despite this reality of seclusion and peace, Maru has been vigilant. The shell lies unused and unanswered, the voice on the other side erased from existence with the destruction of magma and smoke. He knows there will be another. Mouthbreathers are tenacious, dogged souls, unbroken by their own human violence and greed. Rae's creations have not stopped them yet, and he suspects never will.

When the time comes, he is ready. The guards relay the message of a newcomer, and Maru ascends with a calming hand, quieting all objections from his subjects as he moves in intentional singularity to welcome their guest. A show of force is not necessary here. Not now. If the man has come alone, subjected himself to the scrutiny of an entire race, then Maru shall meet him on equal ground.

By mannerism alone it is clear the octopus that hovers at the border of their kingdom has the heart of a man, and Maru is charmed to see such physical resemblance between the two of them. For a moment he considers the newcomer - Remi, as he'd been told - as his tentacles push him through the lurid waters. Welcome, Remi Taliesin. I am Maru Ngata, Luminary of the Merfolk. His voice is polite and serene, inky tendrils of hair afloat around his face and shoulders like a hellish halo. It contrasts against the tranquil, vaguely curious expression upon his handsome face. What is it that you seek? Information? Alliance? An entire world of uncertainty, a galaxy of choices, all laid in this young man's hands. Maru recalls keenly the initial weight of that responsibility, and does not envy Remi for the chaos he has inherited.
in the stillness of remembering what you had
and what you lost
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Age: 31 | Height: 5'11 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
The merman who approaches might have stolen the alchemist's breath, had his lungs and lips functioned the same way they did in human form. It was perhaps lucky that octopi could not blush and that his camouflage didn't react to emotions lest he suddenly look like a flushed bit of coral.

Pleased to meet you, Mara Ngata. The alchemist returns, his strange accent hugging the curves of the Luminary's name in a way which makes it sound completely different.

To know what it is you expect from me, and the people of Torchline. The alchemist replies smoothly, alien-like sea-shard eyes tranquil and confident within his cephalopod skull. I've been named Governor after the previous one was consumed by lava from a recent eruption. During my time in Torchline previous to now, there was almost no mention of the Merfolk and hardly any sightings of your kind. I wondered if that was by design.

Though the alchemist had no arms to cross in quite the same way in this body, as he floated in the dark tides he seemed at ease, despite this potentially pivotal-moment he was entering into. I'll not hide that I am an Outlander, having originally found myself in the Hollowed Grounds. When the barrier surrounding that land fell, the people...invaded the surrounding woods, despite the reluctance of the people there. They felt entitled to spread their customs and to explore the world. Remi's facial expressions are limited in this form, but there is a dark scowl that taints his words; an obvious judgment on what his kind has done. I would not repeat those mistakes.
Maru Ngata
Merfolk Leader

Age: 40 | Height: 6'1 | Race: Mermaid | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
MARU
There is an unfamiliar but pleasant-sounding cadence to the projected voice the man supplies, his tone respectful and with a grace his predecessor had not held. There is little filler to his words as they stream across the bond between them, a businesslike approach that appeals to a man like Maru. With so much to listen to there is scarcely more the merman can do but supply his rapt attention, tentacles swaying idly in the water to keep him on equal level with the shifted man. There is much to learn, and he considers the weight of each word in the echoing half-silence of the ocean's rhythmic heartbeat. Aware that here on this playing field, they are the only chess pieces, with entire civilizations weighing upon their shoulders in anticipation of their decisions.

You would be correct. My kind do not often interact with yours, and your predecessor preferred that. A rumored race cannot smuggle items after all. There is a deep, rumbling amusement to his projected words that curls like smoke over every syllable. A hilariously simple but effective ruse. As for the man's origins, he is not adequately familiar with the term used, and a dark brow arches slightly at the tale that is spun, trying to grasp at straws to compare what he knows to what is being said. Then you have my gratitude. We hold no claim to the water itself, but such actions against our home would not be taken lightly. They are a private, peaceful race on the general whole, but even the laziest shark can rend and tear with its god-given teeth. I confess to not knowing much about what being an Outlander entails. Our prior relationship with your people was purely one of business - to secret away goods and return with payment or further trade. To act as scouts perhaps, in times of trouble or upon discovery of new treasures. I would be open to new negotiations, if that is what you would seek in your position. A gentle prod, turning the tables back to Remi to continue this particular dance.
and what you lost
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:
Where Maru's amusement is like distance thunder, Remi's is like pebbles in a stream by comparison. Still his laughter is genuine just the same. A rumored race, mm? I dare say like much in Torchline, that is one tale alive in words alone. But such was the foundation of the land he now governed over: a world of agreed-upon values that harkened back to fantasy and mischief, however ridiculous those truths might be now.

In an amusingly human gesture, one of Remi's tentacles rises towards what would be his forehead, as if meaning to brush his curls back from his eyes. There are none though, and this act makes him chuckle with silent boyish bemusement rarely heard from him on the surface. To that end, I wonder what you would have me tell those above the waters? Shall they approach your kingdom with wary caution? Are they allowed into your world so long as they remain respectful and peaceful? Pulses of unfettered acceptance to whatever it was the Luminary decreed, wafted from the alchemist in rhythmic beats. Once he'd seen a litany of injustices done to the Fae and hadn't been in a position to stop them. Now, such mistakes would not be made again.

My ascension to governor did not include any promises about overhauling the world above yours; nor shall I make any to you here now. There has been unchecked violence on our streets that will quickly be brought to heel, but as for the heart of the sands? That shall continue to beat as it always has done. The...business arrangements struck between the captains and your people won't be hindered. However... The alchemist chuckled with a mischievous warmth, ...perhaps your kind need not remain the creatures of legend on our account.
Maru Ngata
Merfolk Leader

Change author:
MARU
The man's laughter is a salve upon Maru's shoulders. Though he has carried little tension into this meeting, what had once lived there is now wiped away by the cheek that Remi displays. There is a reason for our compatibility with Torchline, he agrees with an amused crinkle at the corners of his eyes. Eyes that track the aborted movement of a hand to a forehead, one that has Maru chuckling softly, bubbles emerging in a small showering display of his mirth that harmonizes with Remi's sheepish reaction. In a show of solidarity, he uses one of his long tentacles to brush his hair back over his shoulder from where it has begun to float forth against his cheeks.

All who are capable of the journey will be met civilly, so long as they exhibit the same respect. We will guide those who are lost, and parlay with inquisitive guests. However, force will be met with equal measures. Smooth voice swings deep with promise, a vow that he intends for Remi to carry back to the surface. A burial at sea is all those types should expect. Though despite the severity of the insinuation, Maru exudes nothing but contentment and respect across the bond for the other man's willingness to let him set the terms. Our kingdom is not to be intruded upon without invitation or an offered tour however. The same as with any dwelling. Their structures are admittedly beautiful, and Maru would not fault any admirers. But the inside is not so open to the public. His people deserve their privacy.

A twinkle of kindred spirit alights in the man's dark eyes, tentacles curling at the ends in a distinct show of pleasure. Perhaps it is time to be brought into the light by your hand. I believe a symbiotic relationship is one we can strive for. If your people are aware of our existence, we will happily engage in any manner of trade and socialization - as it stands, beaching ourselves upon your sands is too great a risk, and I know many here who would enjoy seeing that change. Perhaps even Maru himself, if interesting souls like Remi are to be found above the sea.
and what you lost
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:
The Alchemist watches as Maru mirrors his gesture, completing it elegantly to move the black waves that fan around his face. Unbidden, Remi wonders what that hair feels like when tangled between fingers; has the saltwater made it course? Or is it as soft as it appears, haloing about his face as it does?

I would expect nothing less. The Alchemist agrees. He expected more, if he was being honest, and such is communicated through the bond. There are some I'm sure who will find their way to you sooner rather than later. Some who...are fond of meddling. Mischief isn't an emotion easily displayed by an octopus, but as Remi's camouflage ripples in slow waves of amused distaste, it's possible he manages it well enough. Down here the world is your own. You'll never hear criticism from the surface about how you run your kingdom. If nosey busy-bodies failed to return after sticking their noses where they didn't belong, there'd be no declaration of war from Remi.

There might, however, be a gift basket.

Symbiotic. The word rings truer in his mind than merely mutually-beneficial. Perhaps it is because it's such an organic way of framing it. More and more the Alchemist has embraced his predatory instincts and therein has been more animal than human. Maru's words sit well with him, and he nods easy agreement.

Beaching yourselves...is there another way? Already Remi's mind is at work, his alchemist's heart thudding away happily as the cogs of his thoughts whir. He thinks of canals through the city, glass enclosures on wheels that the merfolk could travel through...He's ignorant of course of merfolk magic which likely renders his fantastical ideas redundant. Still, his excitement spills over through the bond, sharing these strange and wonderous images with Maru.